HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Game #25: St. Louis Blues at Colorado Avalanche

Old
12-03-2011, 04:14 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

vCash: 500
Frustrating game to watch. Weren't as sloppy as they were in Columbus, but you can tell the flu and altitude were hurting them. If I could be in that lockerroom, I might believe they played the games of their lives, considering. But it's something that every team deals with, so there's no complaining and they continue to pile on the points.

The second line looked drunk defensively for a few shifts and unfortunately it hurt them directly. But other than Stewart's whiff, I thought he looked a lot better offensively. More tenacious, he wanted the puck, and when he decided to pass it, it wasn't just to see what his linemate could figure out, it was with a purpose. He even had a couple of sweet back-checks.

I kinda wonder if Stewart has realized that he can't beat himself up, he just has to play. And that has cleared space in his head to commit better to the game plan, which means he simplifies his game, stops thinking so much, plays decent two-way hockey, and hey, what do you know, suddenly things work better in the offensive zone, too. I could be reading too much into what I see, but I definitely think people are jumping the gun with saying that he doesn't fit the system. Every player in a slump looks like he doesn't fit anything.

I'm a little afraid that yet another game in two nights will have them looking even worse, but let's hope that the surge from Perron's return helps and some guys get healthy. Chicago lets in a metric ****-ton of goals, so if there's any game to spark some offense, it's this one.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Alklha

vCash: 50
The criticism of Halak is a complete joke. He didn't have a great performance last night, but it was good. Complain about his record in shootouts? Do it another day; when we can't get a goal on our 3 attempts then we shouldn't be expecting a fourth attempt.

He was benched for 4 games, about 2 weeks, in mid October and since his return he is at .930 save percentage (over 9 games) and that includes his first game back against the Oilers where the D hung him out to dry.

Quite why some fans want to focus on his terrible start, when we are still in a very good position and he is playing far better, is beyond me.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilthyNote View Post
What!?

Did you even see him play last year? It's obvious he can play great with this team, he just isn't right now. You really want to get rid of him just 25 games into the season where he has only played 22 games? He DOES have 8 points. I know that's nothing amazing but please give the guy more than 22 games to bounce back to what he was last season.

If you watched his goals last year for the Blues, he was getting every break imaginable. They were bouncing off his ass and his pants. I don't think he is a pure goal scorer at all. He can't hold Backes' jock as a power forward. He is Boyes all over again, A floater who doesn't hit. The reason why he goes into funks, is because he doesn't work hard enough. When you work hard like BAckes and Oshie, you can create your own opportunities. It's a good thing we got Shatty out of the deal, otherwise we got hosed big time.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 10:34 AM
stlweir

I wonder how many goals Backes had at this time the last 2-3 seasons. He was always off to a slow start until this year. There is alot of hockey left to be played. When the seasons is over Stewart will score his 28 goals or so. I was hoping for at least a 35 goal season. Patience.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 11:09 AM
TylerD1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookslee1 View Post
Too many people are drinking the look aid! I think the first goal he allowed should have been stopped. Lets face it.... he is basically Brad boyes. All over again. Got the pay day and lost it. People can fool themselves for as long as they want but the numbers don't lie.
Seriously? He had a bad start to the season Ill admitt that, but the guy played awesome last night and has now for his last few games. He faced thirty five shots and a good chunk of them were high quality shots that he made some excellent saves on.

The way I see it is this team is in fifth place right now, with two excellent goaltenders at the moment. Last night was a sloppy game, and the shoot out more so was painful to watch but it's one loss. We will rebound against Chicago tonight.

TylerD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 02:34 PM
CCBC

Was kind of surprised to see Langenbrunner out there on the SO. I'd actually like to give Stewart a shot in the SO. Or Dagger.

CCBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 03:22 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCBC View Post
Was kind of surprised to see Langenbrunner out there on the SO. I'd actually like to give Stewart a shot in the SO. Or Dagger.
He has good career shootout numbers.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 03:55 AM
PhysicalGraffiti
Hates Stevie Y

Wanted to come here to see if anyone by chance made a gif of that Halak save?

That was awesome!

Not really a fan of either team, but I like Halak because he's from Slovakia. So glad to see him do well when he does, and that save was epic.

PhysicalGraffiti is offline   Reply With Quote