HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Avery Effect Is Back

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-02-2011, 12:02 PM
  #26
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,244
vCash: 873
I like Avery.

I do not expect to resign Avery next year and That's probably not such a bad thing.

Prust needs a contract and we still need to clear enough salary to sign Parise.

Avery, Wolski, EC, Eminger, Woywitka, Feds = Gone

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:09 PM
  #27
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Mods, please change the title to "The Avery Correlation Is Back"

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:10 PM
  #28
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Here's some of my issues with this whole thing.

First, myself and many others made the argument from the very beginning that it made ZERO sense for him to not be on this team and playing the 4th line over guys like MZA, EC, etc. (I include Rupp in that list but I understand others don't).

The backlash from all the people who can't stand Avery was that a bottom six player does not make a difference in the outcome of games and that getting upset about him not being on the team and EC being in the lineup was a waste of time.

The fact that there were so many people out there that actually had the opinion makes me question their intelligence when it comes to hockey.

Second, all the anti-Avery folks went on and on and on about 3 goals last year he sucks he only scored three goals. Well guys, how many goals does he have this year? In just 11 games. I guess he miraculously got so much better in the off season.

The guy has averaged 11 goals and 30 points every real season of his career. The people who grasped at straws to try and tear him down by going back to the well with the 3 goal thing was so ridiculous and he's already proven that in just 11 games this year.

Also, let's think about what the additions of Hagelin and Mitchell have done to this lineup. They've forced our moronic head coach to finally utilize all 12 forwards that are in the lineup. It's amazing how much better your bottom six forwards play when they haven't sat on the bench for 3/4 of the game, isn't it Torts? This is how the team should be handled because we have quality depth on this roster and hopefully it gets it through Torts' head that keeping guys like EC around instead of guys like Avery is a mistake that hurts the team.

I've been saying it since the beginning. It's about having the BEST PLAYERS on the ice and the ones who fit the best in their role. Wolski and Rupp can take as long as they want to come back. If either one of them plays over the guys in the lineup now that's really going to tick me off. They did nothing to warrant their spots in the lineup before they were injured and I don't give a damn about cap hits and salary right now. It's about winning.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:23 PM
  #29
Wamsutta
I'm Glen Sather IRL
 
Wamsutta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 328
vCash: 500
Let us all agree upon two indelible facts: Eric Christensen is bad at hockey and additionally funny looking

Wamsutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:24 PM
  #30
HockeyBurd*
 
HockeyBurd*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamsutta View Post
Let us all agree upon two indelible facts: Eric Christensen is bad at hockey and additionally funny looking
He's not really bad at it. He's just invisible at it.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:28 PM
  #31
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard
 
Wraparounds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,381
vCash: 500
I'll gladly eat a nice helping of crow and say that he's been great. Motivated, DISCIPLINED, and playing overal effective hockey. Not to mention he smashed Kennedy's face in. That made me happy.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:30 PM
  #32
chip chipperson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
oh ruckus, how right we were.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:34 PM
  #33
JRB86
Registered User
 
JRB86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 569
vCash: 500
I <3 Avery!!!

JRB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:44 PM
  #34
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamsutta View Post
Let us all agree upon two indelible facts: Eric Christensen is bad at hockey and additionally funny looking
EC is not a bad hockey player. He just doesn't have the heart and determination to be consistently good at it. He certainly has the skill. Unfortunately for many people you can't just turn a switch on and they suddenly have those things. Some people are just harder workers and more determined than others. Some people may not be like that until they are put into a situation where they can fully excel. However, EC has been put into that situation and still hasn't shown that he has "it."

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:04 PM
  #35
Blueshirt Special
Registered User
 
Blueshirt Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,095
vCash: 500
Kudos to Sean. He has played hard, smart and effective.

Keep it up. Stick araound.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:11 PM
  #36
23isforDeBlois
you cant OD on it
 
23isforDeBlois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 174
vCash: 500
Glad to see avery back, avery dubi and prust make a very strong forecheck line and cause a lot of turnovers in the offensive zone.
All the people who wanted avery gone can now see what a lot of us felt, that avery was not allowed, maybe afraid on getting a bad call against (there seemed like there was a quasi vendetta against sean last season), or a coach with an obvious bias towards him, that sort of declawed alot of what avey brings to the rangers.
A lot of the arguments put forward were of the variety that EC is a better fit because of his sometimes chemistry with gabby but i felt and still do that although avs is not a top 6 forward, he can play with top 6 players and not hurt the team and he doesnt look out of place when on the ice with top players, gabby fed him the puck in the slot last night after a partial change, as well as the few games renney had him on the line with jagr.
Since sean has been with the rangers.... and plays, they win more than they lose, hes not the reason for winning but he has been a key player since hes been back, opposing crowds boo him lustily and the garden faithful come to life when he plays at home.
If you really wanted to pick on a player start with the 6'7 figure skater

23isforDeBlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:14 PM
  #37
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.
 
SwedishBullet62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,735
vCash: 500
nothing avery does on or for this team will ever be good enough around here.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:40 PM
  #38
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
nothing avery does on or for this team will ever be good enough around here.
This gets incredibly annoying.

He has 3 points in 11 games and people are hailing him as the messiah.

He's a GOOD THIRD LINE PLAYER- which is what i've held all along- but that's that. He's not essential to this teams success and will be easily replaceable, but he's just fine while he's here.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:06 PM
  #39
Vito Andolini
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
This gets incredibly annoying.

He has 3 points in 11 games and people are hailing him as the messiah.

He's a GOOD THIRD LINE PLAYER- which is what i've held all along- but that's that. He's not essential to this teams success and will be easily replaceable, but he's just fine while he's here.
I don't know what it is about Avery, but he turns some fans into the equivalent of Montreal Canadien fans. It boggles my mind the emotional rollercoaster these people put themselves through for what they themselves will admit is a 3rd/4th line player.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:32 PM
  #40
Matteau Matteau
Registered User
 
Matteau Matteau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Manhattan
Country: United States
Posts: 471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
I don't know what it is about Avery, but he turns some fans into the equivalent of Montreal Canadien fans. It boggles my mind the emotional rollercoaster these people put themselves through for what they themselves will admit is a 3rd/4th line player.
I'd have to say it's his detractors that get themselves all riled up. It's like their mission to find a way to detract from his contributions and paint his fans in an unfavorable light. They just can't handle people liking the guy.

Those of us who like him have all been very consistent about what it is we like--I'm not going to type it for the 417th time, so suffice it to say they are reasonable things.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:36 PM
  #41
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 56,269
vCash: 300
Well, it looks like a lot of us were wrong, including myself.

While Avery's "presence" may not directly lead to wins, his play on the ice has certainly helped - he's played a HIGHLY effective gamed, this is the most effective he's been for this team since 2008. Disciplined, smart, tough hockey. He may only have three goals, but it goes so much deeper than that. He also seems to help motivate the others on this team to an extent, and when this team is motivated and focused, they are one of the best teams in the league.

Happy to have him back.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:37 PM
  #42
Ky McDons
Registered User
 
Ky McDons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 56
vCash: 500
some big "Avery Effect" news is about to hit the masses anytime now lol.

Ky McDons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:43 PM
  #43
Callagraves
Block shots
 
Callagraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
Here's some of my issues with this whole thing.

First, myself and many others made the argument from the very beginning that it made ZERO sense for him to not be on this team and playing the 4th line over guys like MZA, EC, etc. (I include Rupp in that list but I understand others don't).

The backlash from all the people who can't stand Avery was that a bottom six player does not make a difference in the outcome of games and that getting upset about him not being on the team and EC being in the lineup was a waste of time.

The fact that there were so many people out there that actually had the opinion makes me question their intelligence when it comes to hockey.

Second, all the anti-Avery folks went on and on and on about 3 goals last year he sucks he only scored three goals. Well guys, how many goals does he have this year? In just 11 games. I guess he miraculously got so much better in the off season.

The guy has averaged 11 goals and 30 points every real season of his career. The people who grasped at straws to try and tear him down by going back to the well with the 3 goal thing was so ridiculous and he's already proven that in just 11 games this year.

Also, let's think about what the additions of Hagelin and Mitchell have done to this lineup. They've forced our moronic head coach to finally utilize all 12 forwards that are in the lineup. It's amazing how much better your bottom six forwards play when they haven't sat on the bench for 3/4 of the game, isn't it Torts? This is how the team should be handled because we have quality depth on this roster and hopefully it gets it through Torts' head that keeping guys like EC around instead of guys like Avery is a mistake that hurts the team.

I've been saying it since the beginning. It's about having the BEST PLAYERS on the ice and the ones who fit the best in their role. Wolski and Rupp can take as long as they want to come back. If either one of them plays over the guys in the lineup now that's really going to tick me off. They did nothing to warrant their spots in the lineup before they were injured and I don't give a damn about cap hits and salary right now. It's about winning.
You had some decent points, and generally didn't state anything without fact, until it came to Torts. Your post quality is usually fantastic until you mention the coach, at which point it gets personal, and it turns into a rant.

Personally, I disagree on keeping Avery in the lineup over Rupp or Wolski. Wolski is too talented not to use. If we can get him going, it'd be a mistake not to use him.

I think Rupp is better overall than Avery. So far, as a Ranger, he's been ****-awful. But those who watched him with the Pens know that he is really a solid player who i don't mind sending to the penalty box for 5 minutes.

I don't think you change the lines up when you're winning. But if that top line goes stale, or Dubinsky gets moved to the second line, or we decide to start Rupp instead of a Rookie because we're going up against the Flyers, I'd expect to see some line shuffling, and some shuffling between NY and Hartford.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:50 PM
  #44
FutureGM97
Registered User
 
FutureGM97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Connecticut, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky McDons View Post
some big "Avery Effect" news is about to hit the masses anytime now lol.
if its what i think you are referring to then yeah...awesome

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 03:18 PM
  #45
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
You had some decent points, and generally didn't state anything without fact, until it came to Torts. Your post quality is usually fantastic until you mention the coach, at which point it gets personal, and it turns into a rant.

Personally, I disagree on keeping Avery in the lineup over Rupp or Wolski. Wolski is too talented not to use. If we can get him going, it'd be a mistake not to use him.

I think Rupp is better overall than Avery. So far, as a Ranger, he's been ****-awful. But those who watched him with the Pens know that he is really a solid player who i don't mind sending to the penalty box for 5 minutes.

I don't think you change the lines up when you're winning. But if that top line goes stale, or Dubinsky gets moved to the second line, or we decide to start Rupp instead of a Rookie because we're going up against the Flyers, I'd expect to see some line shuffling, and some shuffling between NY and Hartford.
Listen I've never tried to hide the fact that a lot of what Torts does bothers me. Strategically, how he handles certain players/media, lineups, distribution of ice time, etc. I've also said a million times (which no one ever cares about because apparently if you vehemently disagree with certain things that he does that means you hate him) that there is a lot of things I do like about him as a coach and give him credit for. He's done a very good job so far this year producing results, which in the end is all I care about. I still don't know if I'm sold on him not messing things up come playoff time. That's my opinion on things.

If Rupp or Wolski replaces Avery it's going to be another one of those all about Torts decisions. Where is Wolski playing on this team? Top 6? Based on what? He's already shown in his brief tenure here that he's about as consistent as EC. I had high hopes for him coming into this season but he was miserable before he got hurt. I was someone who defended him saying he NEEDED to play on the top line with Gabby when he came back from missing a few games early in the season and be given a legitimate shot. Because the guy, like MZA, and EC, and others serves no purpose in the bottom 6. It's like wasting a forward spot. The guy has done nothing to prove he can be counted on and shown almost zero when it comes to his play on the ice. Replacing Avery, a player who we know what we're getting with and serves his role perfectly with Wolski is making your team worse. I'm not sure how anyone could be in favor of making the team worse. You can talk about Wolski being more talented than Avery all you want. That's fine. EC's twice as talented as him too, but that doesn't mean much.

As for Rupp, much of the same from the above applies. You're entitled to your opinion of him being a better hockey player than Avery, but I think that you're completely wrong. Avery does everything that Mike Rupp does, is a better scorer, and over the course of his career is a better offensive player. I think way too many people undervalue Avery's speed and his ability to get in on the forecheck quickly and retrieve the puck. Rupp's cement skates have no chance at that. And for all the people who want to talk about Rupp fighting heavyweights and alleviating things for Prust....First off, who cares about Rupp fighting some other goon? How does that help the team? Did it matter when Rupp got his face punched in by Parros in Europe? Yeah thanks for wasting two minutes of our lives George and Mike. Well worth it. And if anyone remembers, it didn't stop Prust AT ALL. He was still taking on guys twice his size when Rupp was in the lineup. It's just what Prust does. Avery > Rupp in pretty much every way. Unless staged meaningless fights are a big deal to people.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 03:23 PM
  #46
SkerZ
LGR
 
SkerZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky McDons View Post
some big "Avery Effect" news is about to hit the masses anytime now lol.
Hope it isnt true or the chemistry can sure go down hill quick

SkerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 03:30 PM
  #47
MPJohnny5
Registered User
 
MPJohnny5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkerZ View Post
Hope it isnt true or the chemistry can sure go down hill quick
Bobs a hater and loves stiring the pot. He's got a giant wooden spoon

MPJohnny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 03:34 PM
  #48
Giglio NYR15
Section 417
 
Giglio NYR15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT4Johnny View Post
Bobs a hater and loves stiring the pot. He's got a giant wooden spoon
Bob is usually right, and I follow him and ill be the first to say he breaks most things before everyone else. That being said he is a rangers hater so he wants this to be the worst thing possible, but whether it is true or not, I dont expect it to be that bad for us. I thought aves didnt like sloppy seconds tho.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:02 PM
  #49
Deric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 133
vCash: 500
Maybe he read the post game thread discussing the Avery goal celebration and Del Zotto.

Deric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:06 PM
  #50
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Ha great. More things for the people who don't actually pay attention to facts to use the next time they think Avery's playing bad.

"But like, he's not like, a good teammate, like, and he's always had issues in the locker room, and like, I heard he slept with some dude's girlfriend, like, not cool bro. Go down to the minors you suck at hockey."

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.