HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Avery Effect Is Back

Old
12-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
Bob is usually right, and I follow him and ill be the first to say he breaks most things before everyone else. That being said he is a rangers hater so he wants this to be the worst thing possible, but whether it is true or not, I dont expect it to be that bad for us. I thought aves didnt like sloppy seconds tho.
He throws out every rumor that possibly makes sense and masks it with "My friend told me" or something like that so he doesn't claim that he's wrong when it doesn't happen, yet he brags when it's right. According to him (or his friend) Asomugha was a Jet.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:12 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
He throws out every rumor that possibly makes sense and masks it with "My friend told me" or something like that so he doesn't claim that he's wrong when it doesn't happen, yet he brags when it's right. According to him (or his friend) Asomugha was a Jet.
They "agreed in principle" aka his way of being able to spin it as a deal was never done just in case they didn't agree which they didn't.

He picks up the most obvious things and spins them as his own. He's also very careful with his words unless it's something so obvious I could report it.

12-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
9-2-0 with Avery in the lineup.
5-3-3 without Avery in the lineup.

It's clear, Avery makes a difference .
Even if the sample size were large enough to give statistically significant results, correlation does not imply causation.

Khelvan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:53 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post
Even if the sample size were large enough to give statistically significant results, correlation does not imply causation.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
Listen I've never tried to hide the fact that a lot of what Torts does bothers me. Strategically, how he handles certain players/media, lineups, distribution of ice time, etc. I've also said a million times (which no one ever cares about because apparently if you vehemently disagree with certain things that he does that means you hate him) that there is a lot of things I do like about him as a coach and give him credit for. He's done a very good job so far this year producing results, which in the end is all I care about. I still don't know if I'm sold on him not messing things up come playoff time. That's my opinion on things.

If Rupp or Wolski replaces Avery it's going to be another one of those all about Torts decisions. Where is Wolski playing on this team? Top 6? Based on what? He's already shown in his brief tenure here that he's about as consistent as EC. I had high hopes for him coming into this season but he was miserable before he got hurt. I was someone who defended him saying he NEEDED to play on the top line with Gabby when he came back from missing a few games early in the season and be given a legitimate shot. Because the guy, like MZA, and EC, and others serves no purpose in the bottom 6. It's like wasting a forward spot. The guy has done nothing to prove he can be counted on and shown almost zero when it comes to his play on the ice. Replacing Avery, a player who we know what we're getting with and serves his role perfectly with Wolski is making your team worse. I'm not sure how anyone could be in favor of making the team worse. You can talk about Wolski being more talented than Avery all you want. That's fine. EC's twice as talented as him too, but that doesn't mean much.

As for Rupp, much of the same from the above applies. You're entitled to your opinion of him being a better hockey player than Avery, but I think that you're completely wrong. Avery does everything that Mike Rupp does, is a better scorer, and over the course of his career is a better offensive player. I think way too many people undervalue Avery's speed and his ability to get in on the forecheck quickly and retrieve the puck. Rupp's cement skates have no chance at that. And for all the people who want to talk about Rupp fighting heavyweights and alleviating things for Prust....First off, who cares about Rupp fighting some other goon? How does that help the team? Did it matter when Rupp got his face punched in by Parros in Europe? Yeah thanks for wasting two minutes of our lives George and Mike. Well worth it. And if anyone remembers, it didn't stop Prust AT ALL. He was still taking on guys twice his size when Rupp was in the lineup. It's just what Prust does. Avery > Rupp in pretty much every way. Unless staged meaningless fights are a big deal to people.
I'll agree with you that over their carrer, Avery has been the better offensive producer than Rupp. After last few years, it looked as if Avery production had dropped off, and all he was doing was creating penalties and being caught off-sides. During this period, Rupp looked like a much more effective bottom line player. The Avery who's shown up for most of this season is a different player. If it weren't for Fedatenko (and now Hagelin), I'd be glad to have both of them in the bottom 6. Right now, if you ask who i put on the bottom line left wing, I might stay with Avery. If he falters, I'd throw Rupp in there, give him a chance to earn his spot back. I can say without any doubt: Rupp is much better than he has looked in the beginning of the season. I could have said that about every but Hank as well.

EC should be gone. Package him for a draft pick.

Wolski is far and away better than Avery, when playing to potential, though I honestly haven't seen enough of him THIS SEASON to make a judgement. He looked better out on the ice. Not fantastic, but again, alot of potential, and if we have to move Ani down to 3rd line wing between Hagelin and Mitch (which i like the sound of), put dubinsky up with Richards and cally, let boyle prust and fedatenko be the best 4th line around, and give wolski a chance to work with Stepan and Gaborik, I'll go ahead and say that ON PAPER, those are our best possible lines. Doesn't always work that way, but that's what i'd like to see.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 05:14 PM
nyrleetch

What is bob saying this time? I don't follow him.

nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 05:22 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post
Claiming that Avery slept with one of the Rangers girlfriends.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 05:29 PM
nyrleetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Claiming that Avery slept with one of the Rangers girlfriends.
let me guess Del Zotto since Avery was yelling something near him after he scored? Oh well hopefully Asomaugh comes up big for the Jets tomorrow since Bob reported Jets got him.

nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 06:11 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
I love winning. I even like how Avery's been playing.

This statistic does not imply that Avery is a cause of our winning. Let's be clear.
Yea You;'d have to be foolish to believe that it does. Our winning has to do with recovering from that awful road trip, a good schedule and having a great overall team built of which he is a part but one of the smaller parts.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 06:32 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteau Matteau View Post
I'd have to say it's his detractors that get themselves all riled up. It's like their mission to find a way to detract from his contributions and paint his fans in an unfavorable light. They just can't handle people liking the guy.

Those of us who like him have all been very consistent about what it is we like--I'm not going to type it for the 417th time, so suffice it to say they are reasonable things.
It;s actually the complete opposite his biggest supporters look for insults and go nuts attacking people for spouting what is simply truth and common sense. just check the last post game

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 07:13 PM
NJRangers35

Quote:
let me guess Del Zotto since Avery was yelling something near him after he scored? Oh well hopefully Asomaugh comes up big for the Jets tomorrow since Bob reported Jets got him.
haha. his reasoning was look at del zotto and dubinsky confront avery after his goal.

NJRangers35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 07:25 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

I really hope we keep Avery up

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 09:06 PM
pavelich

Quote:
who's bob?

pavelich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 09:25 PM
HockeyBurd*

Was it Olivia Munn? Did he bang Olivia Munn? If so... nice!!

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
It;s actually the complete opposite his biggest supporters look for insults and go nuts attacking people for spouting what is simply truth and common sense. just check the last post game
Yeah! Except no.

Check the last three years of the board.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:08 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
9-2-0 with Avery in the lineup.
5-3-3 without Avery in the lineup.

It's clear, Avery makes a difference .

**** YEAH!

AVERY RULES!!!!

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:50 PM
mcsauer2738

Our MVP said it best, "it feels back to normal now with sean back in the room" -hank

mcsauer2738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 12:03 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
Bob is usually right, and I follow him and ill be the first to say he breaks most things before everyone else. That being said he is a rangers hater so he wants this to be the worst thing possible, but whether it is true or not, I dont expect it to be that bad for us. I thought aves didnt like sloppy seconds tho.
http://sportsblognet.com/2010/10/22/...edible-source/

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 09:21 AM
MAYO

Hard to be bias as I love this guy. But what I can say to all the haters is that he definitely gives us a different identity and one that other teams hate to play against! Not to say that despite only playing 7 minutes a game, we all sit a little straighter when he's on the ice waiting to see what will happen!!

MAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Garv23

I don't think anyone has mentioned the fact that finally it seems Avery has learned his manners and now allows the puck to enter the zone before him. Hate him or love him you can't deny he has been effective. This Avery I like to watch and I hope it's consistent. He's been good for the team.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 09:52 AM
DutchShamrock

Avery's play last year didn't warrant him a position on the team this year. However, that's not a fair way to dole out roster spots, and its actually hypocritical for this organization to ignore preseason play and camp when assessing this year's roster. See: Boyle, Brian. Avery earned a spot straight up and his play over the last 11 games shows you exactly why you give spots based on merit.

Points... it's always points with people around here. "The Avery Effect" is just flying right over your heads. It's not Avery's affect on himself or the wins, it's his affect on the way the team plays. This team was flat, hesitant and playing bad hockey. I can't believe people are forgetting that already. You wanted Tortorella fired a month ago. The last thing the front office wanted to do was recall Avery at all this year. That was a desperation move, and probably one step towards firing Torts. This team made a 180 the day he came up and we're actually going to debate the fact that his presence impacts the play of the team?

It's amazing. This is like the 3rd or 4th time Avery has returned and the play of the team dramatically improved: both trades, his return from the wrist injury, and his call up. Every time we saw the team's play and wins improve. But no, its a 'correlation'... which is actually not an incorrect term but people are trying to imply that its indirect. Avery has always affected the team's confidence, swagger and aggressiveness. He has an attitude that is conducive to the NYR's winning. Avery's problem is that he becomes content and comfortable, distracted. He needs a kick in the butt to remind him that nothing is assured: Problems in LA, wrist injury in his contract year, the Dallas fiasco, the bad season last year/the trip to Hartford.

Agree, disagree, whatever. But Avery earned this spot in camp and he should have been here since day 1.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 09:59 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
Was it Olivia Munn? Did he bang Olivia Munn? If so... nice!!
Does she date a Ranger? Is she on the East Coast now?

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 10:03 AM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Does she date a Ranger? Is she on the East Coast now?
She's with Richards.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 10:53 AM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
She's with Richards.
Not anymore. BOOM!

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old