HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Avery Effect Is Back

Old
12-03-2011, 12:36 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
9-2-0 with Avery in the lineup.
5-3-3 without Avery in the lineup.

It's clear, Avery makes a difference .
I've been keeping Avery record going in my signature line under my user name as a joke, figuring some other fans would jump all over it..... so far nothing.

Stanley Foobrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 05:46 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteau Matteau View Post
Yeah! Except no.

Check the last three years of the board.
what I see are irrational supporters the last three years and conspiracy theorists looking for any excuse for dumb mistakes and poor play...now this year I saw level-headed but modest praise for a good pre-season and it's being misrepresented as "Avery supporters vs everyone else" when most of these boards were also praising Avery for his preseason and thinking that if he got a shot he COULD do something but that based on play last year and in pre-season we should go with some of the younger more skilled guys instead first to see how they'd work. They didnt...he got the call uo and he's run with it scoring as many goals in 11 games as he did all YEAR last year.

Now we got guys ignorantly stating things like that AVery was good last year based on the fact that he's good this year.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
sigh, those people. All I know is he has something to prove and he's doing well. I hope he keeps it up to stay up

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 10:15 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

"The Avery Effect is back"

It sure is, isnt it. Came in, played well for 10 games, and now seems to be working his way back into the doghouse. Thats the true Avery effect.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

It sure is, isnt it. Came in, played well for 10 games, and now seems to be working his way back into the doghouse. Thats the true Avery effect.
What the hell did he do wrong last night to sit the whole 3rd period?

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 11:15 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
Nothing. He didnt do much of anything at all. Good or bad. Thats why he sat.

Old
12-04-2011, 11:44 AM
PawelW007

What people seem to not notice is that Prust got one shift, no doghouse situation on this one, Torts just went to three lines. Trying to get Dubinsky some confidence so he just plugged and played him everywhere for a little.

He didn;t do anything bad yesterday and as usual, was skating hard, he just didnt make any wow plays...it happens

PawelW007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 12:26 PM
eco's bones

The Rangers schedule hasn't been that overtaxing and Torts shortened his bench last night to get his more offensive players more ice time as we were down a goal going into the third. I don't see what the issue is here but I don't think it had a whole lot to do with Avery's play. It came down to needing a couple goals and he gave extra time to Richards, Gaborik, Callahan, Stepan, Anisimov etc.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 12:35 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
Mio41, do you happen to be matt robinson 17 on TGG? Someone posted these exact words in the Rangers thread there and has seem to have been pasting quite a few things from here .

Anyway, odds are he wasn't playing all that well and Torts shortened the bench as he normally does when the team is trying to come back from behind.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 12:41 PM
MIKEYDONUTS

Any update on the incarcerated bob rumor? The guy is a clown but with avery anything is possible. Plus the blog linked to earlier did have this video of the "odd-interaction" between avery and MDZ following his goal

MIKEYDONUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 01:01 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
The Rangers schedule hasn't been that overtaxing and Torts shortened his bench last night to get his more offensive players more ice time as we were down a goal going into the third. I don't see what the issue is here but I don't think it had a whole lot to do with Avery's play. It came down to needing a couple goals and he gave extra time to Richards, Gaborik, Callahan, Stepan, Anisimov etc.
This is a reasonable explanation.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 01:31 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
This is a reasonable explanation.
It certainly is. Then again, being Avery was the only one not to receive a single shift in the 3rd, I think it highlights the fact that he is still in a precarious position.

Quick side question having to do with "The Avery Effect"...since the Rangers were losing 2-1 while he was actually playing, and then won the game without him seeing the ice, does that count as a loss when it comes to the all-important Avery record?

Old
12-04-2011, 01:53 PM
MSG the place to be*

One area he's got to work on is what to do with the puck when he receives the first pass from our D and he is still on our side of the blue line. So many he times he freezes for just a split second too long and an opposing player will take away his time and space.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 03:08 PM
NickyFotiu

Does correlation equal causation?

The 2010/11 NY Rangers: 44 wins 38 losses (plus 6 wins)

The 2010/11 Avery effect=39 wins-37 losses (plus 2 wins)

The 2010/11 EC effect= 36 wins-27 losses (plus 9 wins)

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

The Avery effect

In ice hockey, the current play is offside if a player on the attacking team enters the attacking zone before the puck itself enters the zone, either carried by a teammate or sent into the attacking zone by an attacking player. If a defending player carries, passes, or otherwise intentionally sends the puck into his defensive zone, any attacking player in the zone is not offside. However, if an attacking player is attempting to shoot the puck into the attacking zone and it deflects off a defending player, an offside violation can still occur. This is unlike the icing rule, where an unintentional deflection by the other team will negate an icing call.

Sorry, it had to be done.

In fairness to Avery, I don't agree that he should have been benched for the entire 3rd period, but we know how Torts operates, and Avery wasn't singled out. Dubi's game has been meh and his ice time has been cut back severely as well.

Now if Torts were to scratch Avery and throw EC back in (and we KNOW that's a possibility), then I will be wondering what the hell he is doing, but frankly if we keep winning, I don't care if it's with "the cool guys" or the doofus.

Avery did not look too good in the little time he got to play, but who knows what he does with 4-5 minutes more in shifts? The "icetime" argument is a real chicken or egg thing.

IMHO, I hope they keep him playing as I feel he's earned it.

12-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
what I see are irrational supporters the last three years and conspiracy theorists looking for any excuse for dumb mistakes and poor play...now this year I saw level-headed but modest praise for a good pre-season and it's being misrepresented as "Avery supporters vs everyone else" when most of these boards were also praising Avery for his preseason and thinking that if he got a shot he COULD do something but that based on play last year and in pre-season we should go with some of the younger more skilled guys instead first to see how they'd work. They didnt...he got the call uo and he's run with it scoring as many goals in 11 games as he did all YEAR last year.

Now we got guys ignorantly stating things like that AVery was good last year based on the fact that he's good this year.
Our "irrational support" has been along the lines of the fact that he has talent and intangibles and will produce points when he's given ice-time and doesn't have to tiptoe around the rink to avoid trouble from his coach. He's showing that so far this year--and he's shown it earlier in his career.

We never said he's an offensive dynamo. His numbers were down last year indeed.

But his detractors just lose their minds that people support this guy. His fans are under constant attack to defend why they like him. This isn't true for supporters of any other player.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

he is playing well and making good decisions. He has been disciplined and he has played hard and gritty, that is how he can be effective for us. When he plays like this he adds an element to this team that they need. He provides an edge and is very effective at getting players irritated and angry forcing them to take dumb penalties and such.

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 08:10 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:

could it possibly be that torts went with his best defensive forwards in the 3rd? did you ever think of that? so dumb, the guy has played great compared to last year and is benched for what i believe is better defensive players and haters come out and say he is working his way in the dog house. stupid. ********.

if avery is in the dog house what house is dubinsky in?

Last edited by chip chipperson*: 12-04-2011 at 08:24 PM.
chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 08:33 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
It certainly is. Then again, being Avery was the only one not to receive a single shift in the 3rd, I think it highlights the fact that he is still in a precarious position.

Quick side question having to do with "The Avery Effect"...since the Rangers were losing 2-1 while he was actually playing, and then won the game without him seeing the ice, does that count as a loss when it comes to the all-important Avery record?
no it doesn't. wow we are reaching very far to try and make a point aren't we?

Old
12-04-2011, 08:35 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
could it possibly be that torts went with his best defensive forwards in the 3rd? did you ever think of that? so dumb, the guy has played great compared to last year and is benched for what i believe is better defensive players and haters come out and say he is working his way in the dog house. stupid. ********.

if avery is in the dog house what house is dubinsky in?
Sure...maybe...could be.

Guess that means every single forward in the lineup is better defensively.

Old
12-04-2011, 08:59 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Sure...maybe...could be.

Guess that means every single forward in the lineup is better defensively.
yes, and?

Old
12-04-2011, 09:45 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
yes, and?
Avery is no defensive dynamo. But I fail to see how he is so utterly atrocious that you have to bench him for an entire period for defensive reasons during a regular season game when he hadn't made any serious bungles. Hell, he played DLZ for almost 30 minutes the other night in spite of numerous miscues.

But hey, Tortorella does things in a very odd way. Anything is possible. On a different note, it must be fairly confusing as a player to suddenly find yourself benched for an entire period when you have been playing well for a good stretch and haven't done anything overtly terrible (unless there's just something we don't know).

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 10:59 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
Avery is no defensive dynamo. But I fail to see how he is so utterly atrocious that you have to bench him for an entire period for defensive reasons during a regular season game when he hadn't made any serious bungles. Hell, he played DLZ for almost 30 minutes the other night in spite of numerous miscues.

But hey, Tortorella does things in a very odd way. Anything is possible. On a different note, it must be fairly confusing as a player to suddenly find yourself benched for an entire period when you have been playing well for a good stretch and haven't done anything overtly terrible (unless there's just something we don't know).
the way i see it, torts did it based on his own stradegy, not to punish avery. we won the game so im not really upset with it. but if torts did try to punish him, how does avery get benched and dubi doesn't?

Old
12-04-2011, 11:56 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
Does correlation equal causation?

The 2010/11 NY Rangers: 44 wins 38 losses (plus 6 wins)

The 2010/11 Avery effect=39 wins-37 losses (plus 2 wins)

The 2010/11 EC effect= 36 wins-27 losses (plus 9 wins)
Sure, if you cherry pick his only bad season, you can make it look anyway you want.

As far as that video, it cut to Avery/MDZ in the middle of their 'interaction' and it could have been anything, like who got the 2nd assist. I highly, highly doubt they're talking about who is banging who at that point of the game.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 12:16 AM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post

Avery's played well but the only effect here is that the team is playing all around good hockey.

I really hope you guys are not implying we're winning BECAUSE of Avery. We're winning because he, along with the entire team, is playing well.
Yes but he has a very powerfull effect do the math. And its not a fluke, he forechecks hard and holds the puck and creates plays on his own when the team is flat as well as throwing in some agitating and fighting energy, this increaes energy and play in other players.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote