HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cory Sarich has requested a trade

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-02-2011, 10:52 AM
  #1
xECK29x
Moderator
 
xECK29x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Deer Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,256
vCash: 500
Cory Sarich has requested a trade

https://twitter.com/fan960boomer

As per Rhett Warrener, #flames D Cory Sarich has requested a trade.

Height: 6-4 Weight: 207lbs
Shoots: R
3.6M cap hit UFA after this year

---

Would be a welcome addition to the island if we can get him for cheap, his value can't be too high (4th or lower pick I imagine). He has connections with Staois and would be that RHS we need to go with Streit or at least he is a major upgrade on Staois who can be slotted down to his proper minutes to replace Mottau.


Last edited by xECK29x: 12-02-2011 at 11:32 AM.
xECK29x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:07 AM
  #2
Wedregast
Registered User
 
Wedregast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 922
vCash: 500
Why does he want to leave Calgary? Would he want to even come here? If we traded for him, would he want to bail on us as well?

If he'd actually want to be here, then I'd be good with trying to obtain him. Otherwise it's best to leave him be.

Wedregast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:19 AM
  #3
leeroggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,259
vCash: 500
If he was pretty good (he's been a healthy scratch a lot this year) we could have traded Comeau for him.

With Giordano on IR why would Calgary let him go if he could help them?

leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:19 PM
  #4
Symon Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 666
vCash: 500
I assume he wants to go to a playoff contender. That leaves the Isles out.

Symon Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:21 PM
  #5
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky
 
Backhand of Justice's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,999
vCash: 500
Yeah, if he wants out, it usually means he wants to go to a team that wins.

Backhand of Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:27 PM
  #6
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Johnny Rockets
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 16,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
Yeah, if he wants out, it usually means he wants to go to a team that wins.
That and no way Wang takes that salary.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:51 PM
  #7
BillD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,399
vCash: 500
He used to be a very reliable, physical defenseman that would block a lot of shots, not get out of position, and could throw mitts pretty good when he had to.
IDK if he has slowed, I think he is 36 or so.

BillD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:58 PM
  #8
13th Floor
Registered User
 
13th Floor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 4,523
vCash: 500
Yea, as it has been said, people that request a trade usually want to get to a better situation, not a worse one. I want out of my job shoveling horse ****, but not to go shovel elephant ****.

There's a reason why the majority of our pick ups have been people who are happy to just have an NHL job. People who were waived and not picked up or were out of the league.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:02 PM
  #9
luki here
Registered User
 
luki here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vienna
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,362
vCash: 500
but he has been a healthy scratch a lot of the season. perhaps he just wants a change in management?

he hasnt shown anything that would interest a possible contender.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:41 PM
  #10
JPIsles21
Registered User
 
JPIsles21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symon Asher View Post
I assume he wants to go to a playoff contender. That leaves the Isles out.
Yes, because a dman that has been scratched for 9 of his team's 34 games, having 1 point in 15 games, averaging 13:29 in the games he has played, and is on a bottom 10 team has the leverage to decide to get traded to a playoff contender.

This is a change of scenery request. Sarich just wants to play. Question is if he's good enough to be an improvement. Considering we have Eaton and Mottau, the answer is almost always yes regarding our blueline.

JPIsles21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:55 PM
  #11
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIsles21 View Post
Yes, because a dman that has been scratched for 9 of his team's 34 games, having 1 point in 15 games, averaging 13:29 in the games he has played, and is on a bottom 10 team has the leverage to decide to get traded to a playoff contender.

This is a change of scenery request. Sarich just wants to play. Question is if he's good enough to be an improvement. Considering we have Eaton and Mottau, the answer is almost always yes regarding our blueline.
Very good point. He's a UFA at the end of the season so it's hard to impress if you're not on the ice. It's costing him money. I wouldn't mind us acquiring him. Agreed that he is an upgrade over Mottau, Eaton, and probably Staios.

It does make a lot of sense. Calgary needs to unload some salary after the Comeau acquisition. Sarich is obviously not happy and Calgary must not be happy with his play. He does fit a need for us and from what I remember of his play, he's an upgrade. He'd probably come pretty cheap and his salary cap hit helps us and gives the team flexibility. Maybe Snow can actually do the right thing and send Nino back to Portland. Wouldn't hold my breath on that though.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:19 PM
  #12
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!
 
IceAce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 3,041
vCash: 500
Nobody that asks for a trade out of their current city, wants to come to the Islanders.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:38 PM
  #13
kasper11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 6,821
vCash: 500
Ummm.....there is probably a reason that he is not playing in Calgary. Most likely its because he can't play anymore.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:39 PM
  #14
seafoam
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 36,153
vCash: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
Nobody that asks for a trade out of their current city, wants to come to the Islanders.
/thread

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:59 PM
  #15
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 14,782
vCash: 500
Would love him.....Flames should punish him and send him here....After all we gave them Comeau

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 05:54 PM
  #16
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,653
vCash: 550
Sarich always struck me as an Andy Sutton-type -- Big, physical guy who is good for a big highlight-reel hit once every couple of games, but whose overall game was only so-so. Ideal 5th or 6th guy, but not someone you want logging more than about 15 or 16 minutes a night.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 06:25 PM
  #17
number72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,886
vCash: 500
Wang would need to send back salary.
Comeau for Sarich would have worked for both teams.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 08:00 PM
  #18
kirant
Kiprusoffarian
 
kirant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 282
vCash: 500
Flames fan here...thought I'd fill you in on a bit of what's going on with Sarich and maybe provide some insight as to whether or not you want him.

Sarich is, bluntly, NOT a 3.6 million dollar man and is just slightly faster than Staios. This puts him out of position sometimes. He only provides limited contributions in the offensive side and sometimes treats the puck like a bomb and holds onto it for less than a few seconds. However, he's also one of the grittiest players I've ever seen. He had an iron man streak going until Keenan scratched him for the sake of being mean...he even ended up playing in our playoff series against Chicago despite injury to his foot. Things got so bad that he even laced up in special made skates (iron casing) because we were so down on D. This type of mentality is important and something I'm not sure you have on the Islanders in great quantity (though what am I saying? All we have in Calgary for that type of leadership is Giordano!). He is also good defensively (though the aforementioned injury to his foot seems to be nagging him a bit, slowing his skating to down Staios-esc levels), plays mean, and can provide game changing hits (he has a small collection of hits similar to his on Marleau). Is he worth 3.6 million these days? Not really...probably valued at half that max. Given where you have Staios, I think he's probably a 2nd pairing guy to you, while to us he's simply a salary anchor and the last part of the old guard...whether or not that's a good thing is up to interpretation.

A major red flag I'd watch out for his his combination of aggressiveness and lack of foot speed. On more than a few occasions, he's miss at hit or screwed up a play in the neutral zone and led to a 2 on 1. On the other hand, if he connects with those, it often leads to a big momentum change. He's generally better about it in his own end, but if a fast elusive forward is going around him and isn't afraid of getting hit, he can struggle a bit.

The reason he's so expendable is that Feaster has started a transition on defence. He's changing from the mediocre foot speed of Darryl Sutter's system, which used a lot of mean checking D (Regehr, Sarich) and has started to bring in skaters who may or may not know what the term hit means (Butler, Smith). Brent Sutter seems to enjoy playing a transitional game as well and since Smith has been a huge surprise to use, Sarich is stuck sitting in the bleachers.

kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 08:02 PM
  #19
HyeDray
HFB Partner
 
HyeDray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hyde Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
https://twitter.com/fan960boomer

As per Rhett Warrener, #flames D Cory Sarich has requested a trade.

Height: 6-4 Weight: 207lbs
Shoots: R
3.6M cap hit UFA after this year

---

Would be a welcome addition to the island if we can get him for cheap, his value can't be too high (4th or lower pick I imagine). He has connections with Staois and would be that RHS we need to go with Streit or at least he is a major upgrade on Staois who can be slotted down to his proper minutes to replace Mottau.
Ive been a fan of Sarich.

Here is the trouble...

1) He has a full NMC. He would need to waive it to come here. Staios could help sell it for sure.

2) He is a UFA after the season. Low risk for this year, but you basically lose him, unless he can be had for perhaps a 2-3 years deal. he is 33 years old, and has a solid health record which has to be a consideration for the Isles.

The ideal for me would be this...

a) Send one of Eaton or Mottau (a serviceable but cheaper player who can take Sarich's spot) and a conditional 4th round pick.

The conditional pick changes to our 3rd rounder if NYI's sign him beyond this season.

b) Sarich signs for a minimum of 2 seasons — assuming he plays well, and fills his roll — which to me would be a physical shut down defender who can clear the crease. Signing him for two more years gives players like de Haan and Donovan time.

Im a little miffed that a Sarich for Comeau type of deal was not in the making.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 08:05 PM
  #20
HyeDray
HFB Partner
 
HyeDray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hyde Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
Flames fan here...thought I'd fill you in on a bit of what's going on with Sarich and maybe provide some insight as to whether or not you want him.

Sarich is, bluntly, NOT a 3.6 million dollar man and is just slightly faster than Staios. This puts him out of position sometimes. He only provides limited contributions in the offensive side and sometimes treats the puck like a bomb and holds onto it for less than a few seconds. However, he's also one of the grittiest players I've ever seen. He had an iron man streak going until Keenan scratched him for the sake of being mean...he even ended up playing in our playoff series against Chicago despite injury to his foot. Things got so bad that he even laced up in special made skates (iron casing) because we were so down on D. This type of mentality is important and something I'm not sure you have on the Islanders in great quantity (though what am I saying? All we have in Calgary for that type of leadership is Giordano!). He is also good defensively (though the aforementioned injury to his foot seems to be nagging him a bit, slowing his skating to down Staios-esc levels), plays mean, and can provide game changing hits (he has a small collection of hits similar to his on Marleau). Is he worth 3.6 million these days? Not really...probably valued at half that max. Given where you have Staios, I think he's probably a 2nd pairing guy to you, while to us he's simply a salary anchor and the last part of the old guard...whether or not that's a good thing is up to interpretation.

A major red flag I'd watch out for his his combination of aggressiveness and lack of foot speed. On more than a few occasions, he's miss at hit or screwed up a play in the neutral zone and led to a 2 on 1. On the other hand, if he connects with those, it often leads to a big momentum change. He's generally better about it in his own end, but if a fast elusive forward is going around him and isn't afraid of getting hit, he can struggle a bit.

The reason he's so expendable is that Feaster has started a transition on defence. He's changing from the mediocre foot speed of Darryl Sutter's system, which used a lot of mean checking D (Regehr, Sarich) and has started to bring in skaters who may or may not know what the term hit means (Butler, Smith). Brent Sutter seems to enjoy playing a transitional game as well and since Smith has been a huge surprise to use, Sarich is stuck sitting in the bleachers.
Really helpful...thanks!!!!!

Id still see about making a deal for him as a NYI fan. While the speed is something to be mindful of, I think he ads the grit you talk about that we need. He also brings big game experience having won a cup with the bolts in 04 I believe.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 09:06 PM
  #21
Doug Height
Okposwag
 
Doug Height's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 6,425
vCash: 500
Send the Flames a late rounder for Sarich, then send Nino back to Portland, as we wouldn't need his cap hit to reach the floor anymore.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 10:28 PM
  #22
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,743
vCash: 250
TRUTH: Sarich would have to die first, then second Garth would have to steal his remains and have them flown here at midnight before Sarich ever agrees to play for this clap trap BS of an organization and it's now-masochistically cheap owner.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 02:15 AM
  #23
Bauer Warrior*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
He used to be a very reliable, physical defenseman that would block a lot of shots, not get out of position, and could throw mitts pretty good when he had to.
IDK if he has slowed, I think he is 36 or so.
He was drafted in '96, just like Marty Reasoner. We don't need any more sabre tooths. Fans have to get over this "someone's available, so let's get him" mentality. I don't want Sarich.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 06:28 AM
  #24
leaponover
Registered User
 
leaponover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iskan, S. Korea
Country: South Korea
Posts: 2,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
Flames fan here...thought I'd fill you in on a bit of what's going on with Sarich and maybe provide some insight as to whether or not you want him.

Sarich is, bluntly, NOT a 3.6 million dollar man and is just slightly faster than Staios. This puts him out of position sometimes. He only provides limited contributions in the offensive side and sometimes treats the puck like a bomb and holds onto it for less than a few seconds. However, he's also one of the grittiest players I've ever seen. He had an iron man streak going until Keenan scratched him for the sake of being mean...he even ended up playing in our playoff series against Chicago despite injury to his foot. Things got so bad that he even laced up in special made skates (iron casing) because we were so down on D. This type of mentality is important and something I'm not sure you have on the Islanders in great quantity (though what am I saying? All we have in Calgary for that type of leadership is Giordano!). He is also good defensively (though the aforementioned injury to his foot seems to be nagging him a bit, slowing his skating to down Staios-esc levels), plays mean, and can provide game changing hits (he has a small collection of hits similar to his on Marleau). Is he worth 3.6 million these days? Not really...probably valued at half that max. Given where you have Staios, I think he's probably a 2nd pairing guy to you, while to us he's simply a salary anchor and the last part of the old guard...whether or not that's a good thing is up to interpretation.

A major red flag I'd watch out for his his combination of aggressiveness and lack of foot speed. On more than a few occasions, he's miss at hit or screwed up a play in the neutral zone and led to a 2 on 1. On the other hand, if he connects with those, it often leads to a big momentum change. He's generally better about it in his own end, but if a fast elusive forward is going around him and isn't afraid of getting hit, he can struggle a bit.

The reason he's so expendable is that Feaster has started a transition on defence. He's changing from the mediocre foot speed of Darryl Sutter's system, which used a lot of mean checking D (Regehr, Sarich) and has started to bring in skaters who may or may not know what the term hit means (Butler, Smith). Brent Sutter seems to enjoy playing a transitional game as well and since Smith has been a huge surprise to use, Sarich is stuck sitting in the bleachers.
Thanks for this. Nice to get some inside info on the situation

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 06:31 AM
  #25
leaponover
Registered User
 
leaponover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iskan, S. Korea
Country: South Korea
Posts: 2,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
He was drafted in '96, just like Marty Reasoner. We don't need any more sabre tooths. Fans have to get over this "someone's available, so let's get him" mentality. I don't want Sarich.
+1 to this.... Isle fans would take anybody's garbage at this point, just like Calgary took our garbage. I would almost bet that Calgary offered a trade that had Sarich part of it and Snow didn't bite.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.