HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Euro 2012 Official Thread

View Poll Results: Who do you think will win it?
Poland 4 3.48%
Ukraine 4 3.48%
Spain (Current Champions) 14 12.17%
Netherlands (Current Vice-Champions) 18 15.65%
Germany 38 33.04%
Russia 0 0%
Italy 8 6.96%
Denmark 3 2.61%
England 8 6.96%
Sweden 10 8.70%
Croatia 1 0.87%
Portugal 3 2.61%
Greece 1 0.87%
France 1 0.87%
Czechs / Ireland 2 1.74%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-07-2012, 12:07 PM
QuietOnTheFront
@QuietOnTheFront

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyManked View Post
Good question.

Im a new fan to soccer/football and I really don't know who to cheer for. I've just become obsessed specifically with the international scene lately.

Any tips lol?

I'm just excited for the Sat-Sun-Mon 12pm games, they should be exciting.
Any one of Germany, Netherlands, Spain or Italy usually do well internationally. Italy not so much in Euro cup, but they have 4 world cups which is the second most in the world. Germany seems to always make it at least top 4 in every tournament. Spain is back to back world cup and euro champions. Netherlands are a team that should have more silverware, they play phenomenal football and always seem to blow it when the tournaments within reach.

Then of course there is England and France. England is probably one of the most popular teams in the world, but they never win anything. France became a powerhouse in the late 90s, but they are not as strong as they used to be yet still command the same respect.

QuietOnTheFront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:40 PM
2CHAINZ
@EverythingPawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Straka View Post
Italy or bust.

Don't miss the boat.
Yo I fixed your post for you

2CHAINZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Polakdave
Official Sens' Polak

Quote:
Good question.

Im a new fan to soccer/football and I really don't know who to cheer for. I've just become obsessed specifically with the international scene lately.

Any tips lol?

Pick Poland. Darkhorse.... and you can be part of the World War 3 that will happen on Tuesday in Warsaw, during / after the Poland - russia game.

But apart from that, Poland has a really talented right side, including striker Robert Lewandowski (Bundesliga/German League player of the year), and captain Kuba Błaszczykowski (Poland's best and most important player... like the Alfie. He's literally held at the same level), and Łukasz Piszczek (Bundesliga Defender of the Year... he's kind of like a Karlsson this year, arguably one the best Right Back's in the world right now).

These guys are called the "Dortmund-Trio", as they all play together on the same side (Right Striker, Right Midfield, Right Back) for Borussia Dortmund, the team that won the German league title, and the German Cup this year, and the three were directly involved in 51/80 of Dortmund's goals this year (64%).

Then there's Arsenal (English team from London) goalkeeper Wojciech Szczęsny, who is young, talented, and a huge troll. His twitter is usually hilarious, and he makes fun of everyone. For example:

Quote:
From Twitter-

@ matthewshortt1 if I was you I would grow my hair to try and hide my face #DropAlot"
June 10
Ludović Obraniak, french born central midfielder, who is probably going to be the second most important player, is amazing on free-kicks, and can score from pretty much anywhere... so it'll be worth it to watch Poland - Russia, because you know there'll be many fouls.

There's also other really exciting players, like Maciej Rybus (Left Midfielder, will start), Rafał Wolski (Child-Prodigy, could become Poland's best player since Poland's 1982 third-place finish with forward Zibi Boniek), and a bunch of other solid stay-at-home defenders.

Plus, you can laugh at the funny names, check out the hot chicks in the stands (Poland is famous for it's amazing women... and if you're into guys, the team is not too bad to look at, either ), and can wear your Sens attire when you cheer for them (Poland's colour is red!) So bring out the Red Army (But just don't say that on Tuesday against Russia.... You'll have some other meanings and probably get slapped.

Oh, and you'll have an excuse to drink the greatest thing invented in Poland... Wˇdka!

Polakdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Polakdave
Official Sens' Polak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexytime View Post
Germany has so much talent. I would try to fit Gotze into the starting lineup but the manager is biased against Dortmund players.
G÷tze is also completely out of form, he was injured for ages.

Old
06-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaDave View Post
Pick Poland. Darkhorse.... and you can be part of the World War 3 that will happen on Tuesday in Warsaw, during / after the Poland - russia game.

But apart from that, Poland has a really talented right side, including striker Robert Lewandowski (Bundesliga/German League player of the year), and captain Kuba Błaszczykowski (Poland's best and most important player... like the Alfie. He's literally held at the same level), and Łukasz Piszczek (Bundesliga Defender of the Year... he's kind of like a Karlsson this year, arguably one the best Right Back's in the world right now).

These guys are called the "Dortmund-Trio", as they all play together on the same side (Right Striker, Right Midfield, Right Back) for Borussia Dortmund, the team that won the German league title, and the German Cup this year, and the three were directly involved in 51/80 of Dortmund's goals this year (64%).

Then there's Arsenal (English team from London) goalkeeper Wojciech Szczęsny, who is young, talented, and a huge troll. His twitter is usually hilarious, and he makes fun of everyone. For example:

Ludović Obraniak, french born central midfielder, who is probably going to be the second most important player, is amazing on free-kicks, and can score from pretty much anywhere... so it'll be worth it to watch Poland - Russia, because you know there'll be many fouls.

There's also other really exciting players, like Maciej Rybus (Left Midfielder, will start), Rafał Wolski (Child-Prodigy, could become Poland's best player since Poland's 1982 third-place finish with forward Zibi Boniek), and a bunch of other solid stay-at-home defenders.

Plus, you can laugh at the funny names, check out the hot chicks in the stands (Poland is famous for it's amazing women... and if you're into guys, the team is not too bad to look at, either ), and can wear your Sens attire when you cheer for them (Poland's colour is red!) So bring out the Red Army (But just don't say that on Tuesday against Russia.... You'll have some other meanings and probably get slapped.

Oh, and you'll have an excuse to drink the greatest thing invented in Poland... Wˇdka!
This post is amazing. You have me convinced .

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:40 PM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

vCash: 50
Some elephant just predicted Poland winning the group.

White Goodman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:46 PM
Polakdave
Official Sens' Polak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob Silfverberg View Post
Some elephant just predicted Poland winning the group.
I JUST posted that on FB... Do you stalk me? Anyway, here's the article:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...o-2012-opener/

Quote:

KRAKOW, Poland — Paul the amazing clairvoyant octopus may be dead but now he has a worthy heir, a Polish-based Indian elephant named Citta.

Weymouth-born but German-based Paul went down a storm during the last European Championships and the 2010 World Cup in South Africa with his remarkable ability to predict the winners of various matches, mostly involving Germany.

His overall record from the two competitions was 12 correct predictions from 14 attempts, including a 100 percent record in South Africa.

And although he has passed onto pastures new, Krakow-based elephant Citta has taken over the baton and so far has a 100 percent record.

According to zookeeper Jerzy Pirog, Citta correctly predicted the outcome of the Champions League final last month and has now been put to the test to predict the results of Poland’s group matches.................

Old
06-07-2012, 02:57 PM
Apaharn

Quote:
Good question.

Any tips lol?

Cheer for Portugal. It is no different than cheering for the Canucks: both overpromise, underdeliver, and flop to the ground at the slightest caress of physical contact.

Apaharn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 03:07 PM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaDave View Post
I JUST posted that on FB... Do you stalk me? Anyway, here's the article:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...o-2012-opener/
Yes I do.

White Goodman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:29 PM
QuietOnTheFront
@QuietOnTheFront

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apaharn View Post
Cheer for Portugal. It is no different than cheering for the Canucks: both overpromise, underdeliver, and flop to the ground at the slightest caress of physical contact.
Both overrated too..

QuietOnTheFront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:34 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

I've decided:

1) Poland
2) Sweden
3) Netherlands

But in reality, I'm just looking forward to my first experience as a football (should I say soccer fan) fan who is somewhat aware of what is going on. I've done a bit of research and understand the tournament format and some of the teams rosters.

I'm really excited for the big marquee matchups, like England vs France, etc, etc.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:41 PM
david karp

I have no particular attachment to any NT, but this year I gotta go for Poland or Germany, because of the BVB players lol

david karp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:00 PM
carsonscave
Rookie User

German-Canadian here. Going with the old country! Go Germany GO!

carsonscave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 04:28 AM
Polakdave
Official Sens' Polak

Quote:
I've decided:

1) Poland
2) Sweden
3) Netherlands

But in reality, I'm just looking forward to my first experience as a football (should I say soccer fan) fan who is somewhat aware of what is going on. I've done a bit of research and understand the tournament format and some of the teams rosters.

I'm really excited for the big marquee matchups, like England vs France, etc, etc.
Nice picks! Remember to sport red today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by david karp View Post
I have no particular attachment to any NT, but this year I gotta go for Poland or Germany, because of the BVB players lol
Smart man!

Anyways guys, I heard rumours that Greek tears are made from tzatziki... I guess we'll find out tonight

Oh, and Russia loses 40-0 and goes home

Old
06-08-2012, 06:43 AM
stempniaksen
Alright, I'm mad

Anyone else find that there aren't a lot of unlikeable teams this year? Usually I have a hate-on for atleast a couple teams, but could concievably see myself cheering for any of the favourites this year. That being said, I'm more of an underdog guy so it's all about Ireland, Poland and Sweden (and Portugal too I guess, although I know that one is not a popular choice, haha).

stempniaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:22 AM
Polakdave
Official Sens' Polak

Quote:
Originally Posted by stempniaksen View Post
Anyone else find that there aren't a lot of unlikeable teams this year? Usually I have a hate-on for atleast a couple teams, but could concievably see myself cheering for any of the favourites this year. That being said, I'm more of an underdog guy so it's all about Ireland, Poland and Sweden (and Portugal too I guess, although I know that one is not a popular choice, haha).
I think you forgot to hate Russia. I heard, as a tradition, their national team goes to the houses of children that were born on dates on which Russia suffered a loss to their upcoming opponents, and eat the babies and wash it down with Russian style "vodka", which roughly translates to from Russian as, "Tears from mother who watched their baby eaten".

Old
06-08-2012, 09:34 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:29 AM
pepty

vCash: 400
Not Euro 2012, but Canada plays Cuba at 130 PM on Sportsnet.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

Obviously Germany because of my roots, I also hope France does well. I believe they their group is the weakest, especially with England having so many injuries and a suspended Rooney so they should get to the next round.

I wouldn't want to be Portuguese or Dutch right now. One of them is going to get eliminated within 2 weeks.

Last edited by Senateurs: 06-08-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Harks

Lets go POLAND!
Attached Images
File Type: png greeece.png‎ (233.3 KB, 1 views)

Harks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

We have to do like Europe and support Greece...

Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:23 PM
sexytime

Dortmund is proving again why they're destined to win a championsleague title very soon.

Go Poland!

sexytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Rumcajs

1-1

Brb i need to go troll my Polish friends

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 04:39 PM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apaharn View Post
But the Canucks don't have the best player in the world...

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Rumcajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
But the Canucks don't have the best player in the world...
I think your confused... Messi is the best in the world not Ronaldo..

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote