HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stop Avoiding the Subject...We Need A Center

Old
12-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Boose30

vCash: 500
Stop Avoiding the Subject...We Need A Center

a few days ago we were chasing after Bobby Ryan and now after coming out of the haze of all the hype i thought about why the hell we were going after ANOTHER winger. The issue our team has been the #1 center. This must sound like a broken record to most of you but this needs to be addressed.

I'd like a player that resembles getzlaf, even better if we could get him but doubt anaheim would let him go. what centers are in your guys radar cuz id love to come up with a deal to post on the trade board to see the opposing viewpoints.

maybe if we complain enough about the issue management will hear it and do something....sooner than later

Boose30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Center is Bobby Ryan's "natural" position. Relax, this will work out fine...

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boose30 View Post
I'd like a player that resembles getzlaf, even better if we could get him but doubt anaheim would let him go.
So would 28 other teams....

Quote:
maybe if we complain enough about the issue management will hear it and do something....sooner than later
Sure. Management always listens to the fans on what personnel moves to make....

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
llamateizer

you know Gomez is a center?

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Boose30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Center is Bobby Ryan's "natural" position. Relax, this will work out fine...
didnt know that....probably wouldve worked out just as well as Leino

Boose30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Zip15

vCash: 326
Quote:
a few days ago we were chasing after Bobby Ryan and now after coming out of the haze of all the hype i thought about why the hell we were going after ANOTHER winger.
1) Because Ryan would add something to our top-6 that's not currently there.

2) If we were moving a winger (Stafford+) to get a better winger, you do that trade.

Quote:
The issue our team has been the #1 center. This must sound like a broken record to most of you but this needs to be addressed.
You concede that center is an issue, yet you're off on the trade board floating Roy + Ennis for Stastny. That's awful. We should want Roy AND a guy like Stastny.

Quote:
I'd like a player that resembles getzlaf, even better if we could get him but doubt anaheim would let him go. what centers are in your guys radar cuz id love to come up with a deal to post on the trade board to see the opposing viewpoints.
You and everyone else.

Quote:
I wouldn't hold your breath.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
1) Because Ryan would add something to our top-6 that's not currently there.

2) If we were moving a winger (Stafford+) to get a better winger, you do that trade.

You concede that center is an issue, yet you're off on the trade board floating Roy + Ennis for Stastny. That's awful. We should want Roy AND a guy like Stastny.

You and everyone else.

I wouldn't hold your breath.
You covered all of the points there. Upgrading from Stafford to Ryan is the interest. And no one is ignoring the need to be better in the middle, although a Statsny for Roy-Ennis deal is terrible value for Buffalo.

12-02-2011, 02:20 PM
ZemgusWho
Play for 2013+

30 teams, maybe 15-20 players (maybe less as I look over rosters...) that I would consider "#1 centers" in the NHL.

If Pegula couldn't buy us Richards, I think we need to rely on our organizational strengths: developing young players. Adam can be our #1 center in a few years.

Roy, Boyes and Hecht all have pretty good faceoff numbers this season. Poms has looked like a capable center at times.

I think we're using the center situation as a crutch right now. I don't think center is this team's biggest problem. Center isn't code word for "defense doesn't play big enough, prone to making stupid mistakes," "our team has been decimated by injuries to a point where even good depth can't be expected to make up the gap," and "Depth scoring hasn't been great."

ZemgusWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:21 PM
5 Minute Major

I agree.

If the Sabres want to contend for anything at all, a top line, or at the very least, a top 6 center needs to be brought in.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Who's ignoring it? I think pretty much everyone is well aware we need a center.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:24 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:

I 1,000% agree with this and is the reason we should be exploring Stastny. Colorado probably wouldn't require a center off our roster in return since they have O'Reilly and Duchene.

Stastny, if we want a center and not have to give up one from our roster, is who we should be targeting.

Old
12-02-2011, 02:31 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Coming back to a point from this past summer -- if they want that sort of center, they're likely going to need to draft one, and draft one high. Couturier was the guy outside of #1 overall last year and he's getting seasoning in the NHL with the Flyers, already PKing and drawing checking assignments. That's the sort of move Buffalo should be looking for -- move one of their beloved core guys to get into the top end of the draft for a high-end, blue chipper. Adam's a nice compliment so far, but I'm not sold on him as a pivot long-term. Roy is only signed for another 1.5 seasons at what is one of the best cap-hits in the league. They will need internal replacements and soon.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:38 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Coming back to a point from this past summer -- if they want that sort of center, they're likely going to need to draft one, and draft one high. Couturier was the guy outside of #1 overall last year and he's getting seasoning in the NHL with the Flyers, already PKing and drawing checking assignments. That's the sort of move Buffalo should be looking for -- move one of their beloved core guys to get into the top end of the draft for a high-end, blue chipper. Adam's a nice compliment so far, but I'm not sold on him as a pivot long-term. Roy is only signed for another 1.5 seasons at what is one of the best cap-hits in the league. They will need internal replacements and soon.
It's a tough decision.

I think, right now as this team stands, I would be looking to bring in a veteran. I am just not too hyped on bringing in a young kid (draft) and letting him develop. What will the team look like in a three, four or five years down the road?

I think the Sabres goal is to win as fast as possible and a veteran makes more sense.

Old
12-02-2011, 02:41 PM
KevinFG

Send a message via Skype™ to KevinFG
Quote:
Totally agreed. If Kassian/Foligno/Tropp/Schshchshhffw are tested and ready by the deadline, and we can flip Stafford+ for a high first rounder, I think we do it. Meaning I hope we do it.

I'm also in the camp that trading Roy is a terrible idea to bring back center if we're only bringing one center back, as in no other trades. As much hate as he gets here and elsewhere, deserving in some regards, he's produces. It's spurty, but he produces.

He's a first rate 1a, by most standards.

KevinFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:46 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Who's ignoring it? I think pretty much everyone is well aware we need a center.
Exactly. Every 9th post is someone moaning about the mythical #1 center.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:50 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Exactly what I came here to post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
It's a tough decision.

I think, right now as this team stands, I would be looking to bring in a veteran. I am just not too hyped on bringing in a young kid (draft) and letting him develop. What will the team look like in a three, four or five years down the road?

I think the Sabres goal is to win as fast as possible and a veteran makes more sense.
Where do we get a veteran #1 though?
We missed out on Richards, so that makes things significantly more difficult for us.
Teams don't just trade skilled centers and they don't let them hit free agency until they are over the hill.

I guess we just have to wait for Crosby and Getzlaf to hit the market two summers from now, just like Bergeron and Thornton did last summer.
Oh, wait..

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:52 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post

We missed out on Richards, so that makes things significantly more difficult for us.
Teams don't just trade skilled centers and they don't let them hit free agency until they are over the hill.

I guess we just have to wait for Crosby and Getzlaf to hit the market two summers from now, just like Bergeron and Thornton did last summer.
Oh, wait..
Why the need to be a wise guy?

I explained what I would do in a thread earlier and would target Stastny.

Old
12-02-2011, 02:59 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Why the need to be a wise guy?

I explained what I would do in a thread earlier and would target Stastny.
But why does Colorado trade Stastny?

When you have an abundance of skilled centers, you do not trade them away.

Old
12-02-2011, 03:01 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
The trick is what "core guy" do you move that could get a pick like that? And is there a guy like that in this year's draft that appears top heavy on the wings and on D, but thin at center.

With Carter being the player that netted the Flyers SC, do the Sabres have to contemplate moving someone like Myers, Vanek, Pominville, or Miller to get that blue chip prospect center?

If so, what are the odds that they pull the trigger on a deal like that?

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 03:03 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

I'd like a player that resembles getzlaf
I assume with this statement you mean a guy who was going bald at age 23?

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 03:04 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
But why does Colorado trade Stastny?

When you have an abundance of skilled centers, you do not trade them away.

Why does Colorado trade Stastny?

Because they are very strong at the center position and not very strong anywhere else, especially at wing.

Colorado has Duchene, Stastny, O'Reilly and Oliver at center. All very young and Duchene and Statstny have shown legit top pairing ability. O'Reilly is on the cusp and Oliver is getting his feet wet.

We all remember the issues with Stastny and the organization last season.

You can't tell me with all those young centers we couldn't take Stafford and another prospect as well as a dman, where they are not the strongest at, and it wouldn't be enticing to that organization right now.

What good are good to great centers going to do you without putting a good winger or two next to them?

Old
12-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Zip15

vCash: 326
Quote:

Not usually, but Philly did trade Mike Richards and Jeff Carter last summer. I would've loved Mike Richards on this team. Someone to play the hard minutes is what this team needs. But yes, those types of deals are harder to come by.

I think the team should be exploring all avenues: trade, free agency, and draft. If they're not, they're not doing their jobs.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 03:25 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Why does Colorado trade Stastny?

Because they are very strong at the center position and not very strong anywhere else, especially at wing.

Colorado has Duchene, Stastny, O'Reilly and Oliver at center. All very young and Duchene and Statstny have shown legit top pairing ability. O'Reilly is on the cusp and Oliver is getting his feet wet.

We all remember the issues with Stastny and the organization last season.

You can't tell me with all those young centers we couldn't take Stafford and another prospect as well as a dman, where they are not the strongest at, and it wouldn't be enticing to that organization right now.

What good are good to great centers going to do you without putting a good winger or two next to them?
It is not a requirement that you only have four centers on your roster.

Because centers are usually the smartest players, they are capable of playing either center or wing.
Have too many?
Throw some of them on the wing and move them back when needed.

If that doesn't work, sign one in free agency, as high-end wingers hit the market pretty consistently, whereas #1 centers do not.

Quote:
Not usually, but Philly did trade Mike Richards and Jeff Carter last summer. I would've loved Mike Richards on this team. Someone to play the hard minutes is what this team needs. But yes, those types of deals are harder to come by.
Obviously that is a rare situation though.
They were problems in the dressing room, but they also had a very legitimate replacement in Giroux, so they didn't hesitate to kick them out the door.
Plus, they knew they were getting Schenn in exchange and that it was very likely that another center would be on the board when they were up.

I would have loved Richards on this team too, but unfortunately it was probably never even a possibility.

Old
12-02-2011, 03:27 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
It is not a requirement that you only have four centers on your roster.

Because centers are usually the smartest players, they are capable of playing either center or wing.
Have too many?
Throw some of them on the wing and move them back when needed.

If that doesn't work, sign one in free agency, as high-end wingers hit the market pretty consistently, whereas #1 centers do not.

Obviously that is a rare situation though.
They were problems in the dressing room, but they also had a very legitimate replacement in Giroux, so they didn't hesitate to kick them out the door.
Plus, they knew they were getting Schenn in exchange and that it was very likely that another center would be on the board when they were up.

I would have loved Richards on this team too, but unfortunately it never would have happened.
Thanks for that information. After watching hockey for almost 40 years I had no idea.

We'll agree to disagree.

Old
12-02-2011, 03:30 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Would it be great to get a top center, sure but it just isn't easy, or probable.

We have better depth than just about any team on the wings, use it as our strong suit. We have 2 guys performing like top line players. Would it be nice to have a top center between them, yes but is it necessary? I don't think so. Adam has been very surprising early on and lately, give the kid the spot and let em go.

Roy is a very capable #2 center. Fact. Period.

So reality is that we could really use another #2 or solid #3 center....gee, same story over the summer.

Just get it over with and flip Boyes for Brassard. It would allow Hecht to play his natural position of Wing and be more efficient.

Vanek - Adam - Pomms
Ennis - Roy - Stafford
Hecht - Brassard - LeinoKassian/Mcormick/Ellis
Gerbe - Gausted - Kaleta

Brassard isn't huge but he is 6'1" 200lbs at 24 years old. At least he is a real center, and let's just go that CBJ do not have a great organization and haven't developed him properly.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote