HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stop Avoiding the Subject...We Need A Center

Old
12-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Reddawg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
Brassard isn't huge but he is 6'1" 200lbs at 24 years old. At least he is a real center, and let's just go that CBJ do not have a great organization and haven't developed him properly.
Yeah, a real bad one. Poor defensively, poor offensively, poor on the faceoff dot, and poor physicality. And you want to add that to our mix?

We could bring Derek Whitmore up from Rochester and accomplish exactly the same thing as trading for Brassard without giving up assets. And Whitmore probably provides more offense at the end of the day.

Reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:02 PM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post

Brassard isn't huge but he is 6'1" 200lbs at 24 years old. At least he is a real center, and let's just go that CBJ do not have a great organization and haven't developed him properly.
He's actually played a bit of wing this season because he's so bad at the dot.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Boose30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
1) Because Ryan would add something to our top-6 that's not currently there.

2) If we were moving a winger (Stafford+) to get a better winger, you do that trade.

You concede that center is an issue, yet you're off on the trade board floating Roy + Ennis for Stastny. That's awful. We should want Roy AND a guy like Stastny.

You and everyone else.

I wouldn't hold your breath.
no screw roy, hes a scrub. hes a small dinky piece of garbage that we've held on to long enough. as said by everyone else hes a #2 center and that spot belongs to adams. being passed by hecht on the depth chart should be all that has to be said.

hes a problem on this team which needs the be addressed along with others. i hate hearing u bums cry about the team having problems but nvr come up with any solutions to fix them, always taking the typical buffalo bills fan approach. the teams not gunna get better if u just sit there and ignore the problem.

Boose30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:55 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boose30 View Post
no screw roy, hes a scrub. hes a small dinky piece of garbage that we've held on to long enough. as said by everyone else hes a #2 center and that spot belongs to adams. being passed by hecht on the depth chart should be all that has to be said.

hes a problem on this team which needs the be addressed along with others. i hate hearing u bums cry about the team having problems but nvr come up with any solutions to fix them, always taking the typical buffalo bills fan approach. the teams not gunna get better if u just sit there and ignore the problem.
lolwut

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:57 PM
ShaPow

Nathan Gerbe played center for Boston College and won AHL Rookie of the Year in Portland while playing center. Why is he never considered to play that position for the Sabres? If you tell me his height is the reason, I'm going to point directly at Derek Roy, a player that Gerbe plays 10x bigger than anyways.

ShaPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 05:03 PM
ShaPow

I agree with Boose. Derek Roy is a major detriment to the Sabres.

Old
12-02-2011, 05:06 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaPow View Post
Nathan Gerbe played center for Boston College and won AHL Rookie of the Year in Portland while playing center. Why is he never considered to play that position for the Sabres? If you tell me his height is the reason, I'm going to point directly at Derek Roy, a player that Gerbe plays 10x bigger than anyways.

I'm fairly certain he was a wing the majority of his time in the AHL.

Quote:
I agree with Boose. Derek Roy is a major detriment to the Sabres.
Yes its always bad to have 70pt centers on your team.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 05:38 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Center was a big need before anyone knew Adam was going to step up and produce. Since he has been a semi-surprise addition, another center isn't critical, and has allowed Leino to move to LW. Obviously they could be better there, but another poster said it well when pointing out the other bigger issues the team has right now.

Boose, Hecht hasn't passed anyone on a depth chart. You don't necessarily put your top wingers and center on the "1st" line, and then your 2nd best on the "2nd" line, and so on. You put players together that will complement each other and spread out the scoring as best as possible. I think anyone, including me, could look decent playing between Vanek and Pominville right now.

Lindy needs to get a 2nd line that scores consistently, and so far NOBODY has been able to do that, no matter which line they're on. Some of that is due to the (so far) failed Leino experiment, some of that is due to Roy being rusty to start the season, and Stafford not burying chances (but at least he's getting them). Lindy should take some blame for not leaving line combos alone for more than two periods. I don't know how anyone can ever point out who's struggling the most when every line is playing musical chairs. Injuries alone cause some juggling...I just don't understand why every line has to be different every night.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Samsonite23

haha i really don't like roy but you guys are brutal. He's easily the best center we have and cheap

Samsonite23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 05:51 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
But why does Colorado trade Stastny?

When you have an abundance of skilled centers, you do not trade them away.
And this doesn't even address the fact that Stastny is barely an upgrade over Roy, even he even is an upgrade, and has a 6.6M cap hit. We can't afford a guy like that right now.

People around here need to wake up to what jfb and Chain are selling. If you want a pure 1C, you have to get lucky and draft one. Because you're sure as hell not getting somebody to trade one to you.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 05:59 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
........... especially ones with a $4M cap hit.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Among players with UFA eligibility, Derek Roy's contract is the biggest bargain in the entire NHL. It boggles my mind that people want to get rid of him.

To the second point - while he hardly started the season on fire, I think the injury to Ennis has really hampered the second-line-scoring. We forget that the dude put up 49 points as a rookie. That's a big loss.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 06:04 PM
LGB24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boose30 View Post

1) Roy is almost a ppg player, and comes at a 4 M a year cap hit

2) Its Adam, not adams

3) Why are you looking for us to solve the problem. No matter what anyone says or does on this message board it isnt going to help the team in any way. Management does log onto this site looking for ideas genius. And who's avoiding the subject? Everyone has been saying for years we need a #1 center, now youre blaming the fans of buffalo that it hasnt happened, lmao

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
1) Roy is almost a ppg player, and comes at a 4 M a year cap hit

2) Its Adam, not adams

3) Why are you looking for us to solve the problem. No matter what anyone says or does on this message board it isnt going to help the team in any way. Management does log onto this site looking for ideas genius. And who's avoiding the subject? Everyone has been saying for years we need a #1 center, now youre blaming the fans of buffalo that it hasnt happened, lmao
I've only been on the bandwagon for 3 years, so I can't take as much of the blame for not landing this team a premier center.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 07:11 PM
Slapshot85

Let me ask you, would it matter? Hecht is anchoring the top line over Adam, Roy, and Leino. Would a top-line center matter in Lindy's coaching style?

Slapshot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 07:14 PM
number72

I regret Connolly walking.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 07:21 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Seeing how they missed the boot this past summer with moving up, they could do well to land a premium checking center like Frans Nielsen and extend him on a reasonable deal since they are two pivots away in my opinion.

12-02-2011, 08:52 PM
ShaPow

Quote:
I'm fairly certain he was a wing the majority of his time in the AHL.
He was always listed as a center.
Quote:
Rather than reading the stat lines, how about watching him destroy any flow the Sabres have while he's on the ice?

He's played 3 quality games this season. He was coming back from injury....I know. He's been up to full speed for plenty of time now.

He's a selfish, perimeter player. Even Pominville throws his weight around more often than Roy. That's not a joke. Vanek voiced his feelings about Roy in just about the most gentlemanly way he could last year, without completely throwing Roy under the bus. The Sabres mid to late season success last year without Roy in the lineup was not a coincidence. He gets his points....Satan used to get his too. He's a detriment.

Old
12-02-2011, 09:16 PM
sabresandcanucks

I've been saying it since the draft, if the price tag for Kyle Turris is just a high end prospect and a mid level pick go for it. He is affordable, and the way he finished last season he looked like a solid top six center...Now that he is bulking up a bit he can utilize his skills down low. I only hope his time away from the game hasn't set him back too much.

sabresandcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
He was always listed as a center..
He played the wing.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 03:41 AM
dkollidas

We do need one. That is obvious. The question is how to acquire one.

Trade- I've made proposals, but I've realized most of those ideas are pipe dreams. Although we did acquire both Briere and Drury via trade. But they weren't expected to play how they did here and se were pretty solid steals on the Sabres part.

Free Agency- Not happening. Not because they don't want to, but there's no one worth the money available at the end of this season.

Draft- It's an option. But we haven't had the chance to take a true impact type player since we drafted Vanek 5th overall. I believe making a move to climb up in the draft order is a possibility, but a rare one, so we'll have to see. But if they could make any deal in order to move up in the pecking order and hopefully get a guy who can be a go-to guy for the franchise etc. I'd be willing to give up a lot for that pick.

Overall, I just don't think it will happen this year. We might have to wait and hope Luke Adam can take that roll for this team, but I think he'll end up as a very good 2nd line center, but no more than that. They need a game breaker, I just don't know how they'll get it done.

As you can see from my post, I don't think Roy is, or ever will be that guy, and he should be dealt IMO in order to gain a true franchise centerman.

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 08:14 AM
keithLGA

There's no centers besides Szczechura on the Amerks roster either. Darcy really dropped the ball from the top down on this position. There were plenty of free agent's considered "AHL" players that could've been signed and would've been available but the only one signed was a guy injured since last April.

keithLGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 09:01 AM
omglolnub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
They need a game breaker, I just don't know how they'll get it done.

As you can see from my post, I don't think Roy is, or ever will be that guy, and he should be dealt IMO in order to gain a true franchise centerman.
So which mythical "true" franchise center do you think can be reasonably be acquired? The truth is...Roy is going to be as good as a 1C as it gets. If you don't think Roy is a first line center, why would anyone trade their Spezza, Malkin, et al., in return for Roy and want him to be their first line center?

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 09:17 AM
dkollidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by omglolnub View Post
So which mythical "true" franchise center do you think can be reasonably be acquired? The truth is...Roy is going to be as good as a 1C as it gets. If you don't think Roy is a first line center, why would anyone trade their Spezza, Malkin, et al., in return for Roy and want him to be their first line center?
I'm saying package Roy to get an upgrade at center. You might believe he's a number one center and that such a deal would at best be a lateral move. But sometimes a change in the makeup of a team can by itself make the team better. Addition by subtraction. This was true with Satan, Zhitnik, and in my opinion Afinogenov. Now I believe it's Roy, Stafford, and also Miller. Philadelphia did this with Carter and Richards. We all thought they'd be worse off, but they're playing well with a solid young core (Giroux, JVR, Couturier, Schenn, etc.) Get rid of Miller, Roy and Stafford and I bet you that the return will take this team further, I mean, they'd only have to get past the first round of the playoffs.

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 10:32 AM
joshjull

Quote:
He was always listed as a center.
Gerbe was not a center.

Quote:
Rather than reading the stat lines , how about watching him destroy any flow the Sabres have while he's on the ice?

He's played 3 quality games this season. He was coming back from injury....I know. He's been up to full speed for plenty of time now.

He's a selfish, perimeter player. Even Pominville throws his weight around more often than Roy. That's not a joke. Vanek voiced his feelings about Roy in just about the most gentlemanly way he could last year, without completely throwing Roy under the bus. The Sabres mid to late season success last year without Roy in the lineup was not a coincidence. He gets his points....Satan used to get his too. He's a detriment
Couple of things

1) Roy needs to be better and hasn't played well so far this year.

2) Vanek voiced his feelings about him?

3) I have no issues with trading him but I disagree that he is a detriment to the team. But good luck finding a 4mil cap hit center thats better thasn Roy.

Last edited by joshjull: 12-03-2011 at 10:49 AM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 11:13 AM
ShaPow

Quote:
Gerbe was not a center.

Couple of things

1) Roy needs to be better and hasn;t played well so far this year.

2) Vanek voiced his feelings about him? Feel free to eaborate

3) I have no issues with trading him but I disagree that he is a detriment to the team.
I never saw more than 1 or 2 Portland games while Gerbe played there, and I honestly can't remember what position he played. The Portland Pirates website has always had him listed as a center ( http://www.portlandpirates.com/playerbio.asp?id=333 ), and I know he played center for Boston College, so it still seems logical to me that he could handle the responsibilities of a center. He's a very solid two-way player, he obviously hasn't found his goalscoring touch yet this year, but I also don't think he plays enough minutes.

Even just a google search of "nathan gerbe center" brings up many links that list Gerbe as a centerman, and articles that refer to him as "Centerman Nathan Gerbe...."

Roy needs to be a **** ton better, yet he continues to lead all Sabres forwards in even strength minutes. Ruff is fine with certain players not playing well, and extremely hard on others. A little consistency with rewarding the proper players with ice time could go a long way.

After Roy was hurt last season, Vanek said this: "He's a center that holds on to the puck and creates a lot," Vanek said. "I just try to find openings for him. Ever since he's been out, I feel like I've gotten the puck more." http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle337409.ece

That's about the most gentlemanly way he could say that Roy is a selfish puck hog who tries to do everything on his own, without being a jerk about it and throwing his long time teammate under the bus. He's always trying to stickhandle through 3 defenders, pass the puck through multiple sticks and bodies, shoot through multiple defenders.

Looking for the exact quote, I also stumbled upon this little golden nugget of info:

Quote:
Once Roy went down, a parade of players showed up. The surges from Game 36 in Edmonton through Game 82 in Columbus were impressive on all lines.

Vanek's point total grew from 25 to 73. Pominville started with six goals and eight assists but ended with 22 and 30. Drew Stafford ran his points from 15 to 52. Tim Connolly's assist total soared from eight to 29. Paul Gaustad added nine goals. Nathan Gerbe was even more of a sniper, scoring 15 times since Edmonton after arriving in Alberta with only one goal.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle392975.ece

Derek Roy's presence is a major detriment. He's like a ball of hair and filth that's stuck in your draining pipe in your shower. Pour a bottle of Drain-O down there, and all of the sudden that ball of hair and filth breaks free, and the water flows freely down the pipe.

If Ruff still can't see that after what happened last season, and through this season, there is a serious disconnect.