HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Jakob Silfverberg

Old
01-18-2013, 08:29 AM
fahad203

vCash: 500
Jakob Silfverberg

Am I crazy to think he'll win the Calder?

He looks like he's ready and designed for NHL. Another of those Swedish forward understands the game and goes into the corners. He played 3 seasons in SEL with men already. He's a bit older than most rookies.

I hate Sens as it is, I hate them more for keep drafting these Swedish players

fahad203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:30 AM
Tomas W

Nah, that'll be Brunner. Or maybe not, but who knows.

Silfverberg is good enough for having a pretty good NHL career. Good work ethics, hockey IQ and a hard quick shot.

If he develop his skating he could be very valuable for Ottawa.

Last edited by Tomas W: 01-18-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:44 AM
Spinkis

It's a really strong calder class this year but he has a good chance.

Spinkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:52 AM
PayItForward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
Nah, that'll be Brunner. Or maybe not, but who knows.

Silfverberg is good enough for having a pretty good NHL career. Good work ethics, hockey IQ and a hard quick shot.

If he develop his skating he could be very valuable for Ottawa.
Well it definitely won't be Brunner because he's not eligible for the Calder.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
BTW, for those asking, Brunner in DET is too old for rookie status and CBJ's Atkinson played too many game last season, not a rookie.

http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/st...18564511170560

PayItForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:52 AM
SpezDispenser

He looks so good with Spezza...if that continues in NHL action, which is obviously easier said than done, then he'll have an excellent shot.

Speaking of which...he has an excellent shot. One of the best on the team, if not the best. What a snipe the kid has.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:27 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by PayItForward View Post
Well it definitely won't be Brunner because he's not eligible for the Calder.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
BTW, for those asking, Brunner in DET is too old for rookie status and CBJ's Atkinson played too many game last season, not a rookie.

http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/st...18564511170560
OK, thanks for the info! I was thinking about that (Brunners age compared to others) a while ago, but didnt really knew about the rules.

Old
01-18-2013, 09:29 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
He looks so good with Spezza...if that continues in NHL action, which is obviously easier said than done, then he'll have an excellent shot.

Speaking of which...he has an excellent shot. One of the best on the team, if not the best. What a snipe the kid has.
It would be great for both him and Swedish hockey if he's to play with a guy like Spezza already.

Old
01-18-2013, 09:39 AM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

vCash: 50
I am pretty good.

White Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:06 AM
MoreGore

He has a chance, but there are a number of guys like him that should be as good. Nyquist and Smith for Detroit as well as Schultz. Then you have all of the high talent guys like Tarasenko, Yakupov, Granlund and Huberdeau that have a shot.

I think the winner will likely have spent this year in the AHL up until puckdrop. The guys coming from overseas will need a bit of time, and time is short this year

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:32 AM
topshelf15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahad203 View Post
Am I crazy to think he'll win the Calder?

He looks like he's ready and designed for NHL. Another of those Swedish forward understands the game and goes into the corners. He played 3 seasons in SEL with men already. He's a bit older than most rookies.

I hate Sens as it is, I hate them more for keep drafting these Swedish players
Good post ,his game is about consistantancy he has this in spades .He is very well seasoned and will be in the running for the calder ,him and lehner are our two best shots for that trophy

topshelf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:34 AM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

*cue the "Sens fans over-rate their prospects so much" speech*

And, no. I don't think he'll win the Calder. But I think he'll be in the running.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:39 AM
bert

Quote:
It would be great for both him and Swedish hockey if he's to play with a guy like Spezza already.
Having Michalek and Spezza as linemates is a pretty good start for anyone. Thats a pretty much guaranteed 40 point pace for just about any nhl player. Speaking of his shot its the best on the team right from Tim Murrays mouth. If he's on Spezza's line you could see some serious fire works. I wouldnt be shocked to see him score 20 goals in the shortened season.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:53 AM
Minister of Offence

He's in that pile that have a real chance. If you're a rookie and you penciled in beside a guy that can score a ppg or up...you have a chance to put up the numbers. And expect silf to gain trust under Maclean. He's a smart and mature player.

I wouldn't be shocked to se him out produce michalek either. Silf will probably hold on to the puck more and play with it down low. He'll be on the ice a lot with spez and karlsson.

It's anyons guess which rookie(s) will score over 30-35 points in the shortened season. Whoever gets hot and has hot line mates.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Greeningfan14

He's good.

Greeningfan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:34 PM
JackBauer

If the Calder was given to the rookie with the best shot, he'd win in a landslide. Apart from that, it'll be tough. 30 pts and I'd be thrilled.

JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:31 PM
Sensatauro

Quote:
Well its fact he is at least starting the season on Spezza's wing.

He has the potential to be in the running for the Calder, no question. At the start of the season, I would not have agreed. But the lockout really really helped Silf. As he started slow in bingo. He needed time to adjust to the smaller ice and more physical game that is north american hockey.

But the last 20 games or so, the guy's been bar none the most dominant B-Sen. He is a step above the average. Thanks to this adjustment time, it gives him a legit shot in putting himself in contention.

With guys like Tarasenko/Schultz/Yakupov(though not convinced yak will be that special this year), Galchenyuk, its not even a lock he is a finalist for the award.

That said, not just sens fans should be excited about a guy like Silf, as he is going to score a lot of beauty's. A real treat for all us hockey fans. Period.

Sensatauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:15 PM
tony d
The franchise

I'm exciting to see this guy play and think he's going to be a star. Still can't see him winning the Calder this year with the comptetion being so high.

01-18-2013, 04:32 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
I don't see it happening but all I've seen from him was the playoffs last year

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:29 PM
Sensatauro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
I don't see it happening but all I've seen from him was the playoffs last year
Which is why I at the start of the year held this exact thought process. But thanks to watching him play 20 plus games with Bingo. Watching him start slow to literally dominating shifts each game, I'd say he's ready to produce at the NHL level. Just a question of whether he will be among the finalists or not. Going to be exciting getting to figure out the real answer to this question!

Sensatauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:42 AM
Nash

No other rookie is playing on their team's first line. When you are on the ice with Spezza and Karlsson and you are the trigger man, odds are very high that you will score some goals.

I honestly believe he will be in a race with Schultz for the Calder.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:50 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
He'll get the best chances out of all the rookies. He'll come through. He was scoring points at around of 1.5 rate per game in his last 10 before he was called up, this kid is amazing.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:26 AM
OiledUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer View Post
If the Calder was given to the rookie with the best shot, he'd win in a landslide. Apart from that, it'll be tough. 30 pts and I'd be thrilled.
Yakupov says hi.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:35 AM
Peter The Great

I have huge expectations for Silfverberg this season. Rookie of the year wouldn't surprise me at all, I fully expect him to be top three (Granlund, Yakupov and Brunner strongest competitors). It also depends on coaching, linemates and total time on ice though, he for sure has the tools and skill.

The Senators are loaded with talents right now and the competition is stiff.

It's like your fantasy team, you can't only have talanted rookies in your team, there has to be a balance.

21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:20 AM
Jacko95

It's so funny to read all the things about Silverberg on this board. Yes he is a great prospect and will have a decent and long career in the NHL but come on guys you are hyping this guy like he will be the next Gretzky. The only guy that gets more hype right now is Morgan Reilly who will (as of this board) most likely surpass Bobby Orr by far. At the end they will both have great careers, but never live up to the hype.

By the way note Cory Conacher as an underdog for the Calder ( I don't expect him to win, but he will raise a lot of eyebrows). He will play with an finally total healthy Lecavalier and an underrated Purcell. This line will give the opposite defenders a lot of work when their top defenders recover from Stammers line .

So add Conacher to Silverberg, Yakupov, Huberdeau, Holtby, Tarasenko, Schultz, Nyquist and Smith.

Will be nice to watch who will win this battle

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:22 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
No other rookie is playing on their team's first line. When you are on the ice with Spezza and Karlsson and you are the trigger man, odds are very high that you will score some goals.

I honestly believe he will be in a race with Schultz for the Calder.
He's a compliment to those two as he's great below the hash marks. Quick plays, quick shot, and he goes real hard to the net. Scores all types of ways.

His game was encouraging today. Looked like a guy that was ready to play and keep his ice on the top line. Knowing how he can shoot and handle the puck, it's just a question of whether hell out score the more talented younger rookies.

Sens added a guy that'll probably play around 50-70 point range with top quality two way play.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote