HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pittsburgh Penguins #9 on Forbes list.

Old
12-02-2011, 07:59 PM
farscape1

vCash: 500
Pittsburgh Penguins #9 on Forbes list.

http://www.forbes.com/teams/pittsburgh-penguins/

Pretty interesting to see the Pens at number 9.

Question though with Operating Income at $-0.2 M which is said to mean (3.Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) does that mean the Pens are lossing money?

Still Net income is 110 M so not bad.

http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/list/

farscape1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 08:04 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Death To Selfies!

vCash: 50
Didn't the team have to pay for all of Consol Energy Center's overages out of pocket? That may be playing into things.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 08:09 PM
farscape1

Gate Receipts: $47 M - not bad for like what 40 games a year.

Revenue per Fan: $42 -- heck i spend that just on beer at the games lol

farscape1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 08:59 PM
trader997

They lost money because they played only 4 playoffs games at Consol last year. We should see big profits this year!

trader997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 09:09 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Not big on economics at all. I would hope they are not losing money. Especially if they are 9th in the league in revenue.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 09:23 PM
JTG

I'm not an accountant, but I believe operating income rolls over. So say we lost 10 million last year, but we made 9 million this year, our operating income would then be -1m. You finish up one year, and that starts your operating income the next. The Pens have been losing money for years. I'd imagine it's going to take another season for them to reach profitability in terms of operating income.

All of this could be wrong, or I could be mixing financial statements up. Accounting sucks.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Fogel
Analytics please

Fairly sure it's due to the arena debt.

Fogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 09:40 PM
crosby is the sauce

or you could just categorize them by host city size with franchise age and still get similar results

crosby is the sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 10:38 PM
CertifiedPublicGuin

Revenue and Expenses are fresh from -0- each fiscal year, which includes operating income. Me and my dusty CPA license would be curious to know how somebody could have $110M in bottom line net income, while EBITDA is a negative. Sounds like somebody's screwing up something in the translation, because that doesn't make much sense to me, unless there's some serious OCI or other income, which is odd for a hockey team...

CertifiedPublicGuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:27 PM
trader997

Quote:
Originally Posted by CertifiedPublicGuin View Post
Revenue and Expenses are fresh from -0- each fiscal year, which includes operating income. Me and my dusty CPA license would be curious to know how somebody could have $110M in bottom line net income, while EBITDA is a negative. Sounds like somebody's screwing up something in the translation, because that doesn't make much sense to me, unless there's some serious OCI or other income, which is odd for a hockey team...
$110M gross income, not net.

trader997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:29 PM
PTWarrior66*

It's the arena debt.

PTWarrior66* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 08:09 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CertifiedPublicGuin View Post
What financial statement takes the net income from one year, and that's what you start the next year with?

With 3 accounting classes, 3 finance classes, and 3 economics classes in college, you would think I'd know this...

And EBITDA isn't negative. EBITDA is gross, which is 110m

Old
12-03-2011, 09:01 AM
CertifiedPublicGuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
What financial statement takes the net income from one year, and that's what you start the next year with?

With 3 accounting classes, 3 finance classes, and 3 economics classes in college, you would think I'd know this...

And EBITDA isn't negative. EBITDA is gross, which is 110m
Net income rolls into retained earnings at year-end, it doesn't roll over year-to-year. For disclosure purposes, I think you might be thinking of statement of changes in equity? But it begins with prior year equity, factors in any equity transations during the year and also net income to arrive at current year equity, essentially just rolling forward from prior year equity to CY.

EBITDA is also not seen as gross income, at least outside of accounting class from college. EBITDA (Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, & amortization) is less less any operating-related expenses and other cash items, therefore is not gross anything. EBITDA is a figure that is more indicative of operations, given that it does not factor in non-cash items such as amortization and depreciation.

In any event, $110M in gross revenue/income is clearly much different from net income.

I CAN'T EVEN ESCAPE THIS CRAP AT HF!!

Last edited by CertifiedPublicGuin: 12-03-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old
12-03-2011, 09:43 AM
JTG

I was always told EBITDA is revenues minus your costs of doing business. Essentially gross profit. I'm not an accountant though.

Old
12-04-2011, 10:13 AM
CertifiedPublicGuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I was always told EBITDA is revenues minus your costs of doing business. Essentially gross profit. I'm not an accountant though.
Yep that'd be right, but gross profit is different from gross revenue, though now I think we're splitting hairs because gross profit isn't really different from gross income, except that in the accounting world, professionals don't typically refer to gross income as synonymous with gross profit. Not sure why to be honest, but gross income is often times used in the same breath as gross revenue (i.e. excluding costs).

Whatever, Pens are #9 on the Forbes list, which honestly was a little *underwhelming to me when I first read it.