HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The REAL reason why this team is in a serious funk.

Old
12-02-2011, 10:16 PM
5 Minute Major

vCash: 500
The REAL reason why this team is in a serious funk.

Derek Roy, Drew Stafford, Ville Leino, Nathan Gerbe, Brad Boyes and Tyler Ennis.

128 man games played between these six players, who we are counting on for offense.

17 goals total.

Yes, we have been bitten by the injury bug but these players simply aren't producing like this team needs them to. They haven't picked up their game when the team has needed them the most.

Their production is, and has been, pathetic.

5 Minute Major is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 10:18 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Offense, defense, the PP. Goaltending has been not up to par either. It's hard to win when you suck in most aspects of the game.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar

Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
Can't really blame Ennis since he's been hurt most of the season.

Taro Tsujimoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 10:20 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

that is a very good point.

The cure for stafford is simple, thomas vanek. They have a similar skill set

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 10:22 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

How many man games have we lost due to injuries? Someone post that here please.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 10:25 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taro Tsujimoto View Post
He has but he also has 0 goals and 0 assists in the 8 games he has played.

Old
12-02-2011, 10:29 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taro Tsujimoto View Post
He still has to contribute when he isn't hurt. That stat included his "man games" which there arent very many but still showed no offensive numbers. His injury just prevents that stat from looking even worse.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 10:35 PM
DJN21

its a team effort...since Boyes went down prior to losing to Boston and Myers went down how have we looked? Maybe just maybe those who dredge stat sheets dont see the whole picture?

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 10:35 PM
DJN21

ps blaming ennis is a lame excuse

and blaming leino and stafford is obvious

Old
12-02-2011, 10:43 PM
joshjull

How can Ennis be a reason for their funk? Thats completely illogical. They were 5-2 in the 7gms he played in at the start of the year and he hasn't played during the entire time they've been slumping. Its also pretty lame to use his first game in over a month against him.

He needs to get rolling and soon to help things going forward but he is not why they've been slumping.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 10:44 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
its a team effort...since Boyes went down prior to losing to Boston and Myers went down how have we looked? Maybe just maybe those who dredge stat sheets dont see the whole picture?
I see the whole picture quite fine, thanks.

There are a whole lot of players the Sabres were counting on to produce offensively that are laying an egg.

You can say Myers all you want.......but Myers wasn't playing all that well before he went down.

Boyes? 2 goals all year. You tell me, is losing Brad Boyes hurting this team with the way Zack Kassian has looked in his time up?

It boils down to the players I named not producing. They start lighting the lamp the way they should be and these injuries won't seem like such a problem.

Old
12-02-2011, 10:44 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Those stars above show exactly whats wrong with the offense. Stafford, Roy, Boyes, and Leino are eating up nearly 1/3 of our cap space. If they aren't scoring they are pretty much worthless and its going to kill us offensively... and it is. Injuries or not these guys are paid to score and its not happening.

Old
12-02-2011, 10:45 PM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
How can Ennis be a reason for their funk? Thats completely illogical. They were 5-2 in the 7gms he played in at the start of the year and he hasn't played during the entire time theyve been slumping. Its also pretty lame to use his first game in over a month against him.

He needs to get rolling and soon to help things going forward but he is not why they've been slumping.
thank you i thought he had a good if not stat-sheet productive game. if gerbe misses any time ennis's style and game play just became very valuable. he was the only player matching DET in speed tonight

Old
12-02-2011, 10:47 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
How can Ennis be a reason for their funk? Thats completely illogical. They were 5-2 in the 7gms he played in at the start of the year and he hasn't played during the entire time they've been slumping. Its also pretty lame to use his first game in over a month against him.

I used man games. His 8 man games is included. I didn't say all year long (because he has only played one-third of the season) but, since your are saying he shouldn't be blamed, what exactly should he be credited for with his 0 goals, 9 assists and 0 points in 8 games?

Has he been playing good in the time he was on the ice?

Old
12-02-2011, 10:48 PM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
I used man games. His 8 man games is included. I didn't say all year long (because he has only played one-third of the season) but, since your are saying he shouldn't be blamed, what exactly should he be credited for with his 0 goals, 9 assists and 0 points in 8 games?

Has he been playing good in the time he was on the ice?
ennis has 9 asissts?

Old
12-02-2011, 10:48 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Still not having any luck finding the man games lost due to injury. Must be looking in the wrong places.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 10:49 PM
joshjull

Quote:
I see the whole picture quite fine, thanks.

There are a whole lot of players the Sabres were counting on to produce offensively that are laying an egg.

You can say Myers all you want.......but Myers wasn't playing all that well before he went down.

Boyes? 2 goals all year. You tell me, is losing Brad Boyes hurting this team with the way Zack Kassian has looked in his time up?

It boils down to the players I named not producing. They start lighting the lamp the way they should be and these injuries won't seem like such a problem.
I agree with you there. The 3 main culprits are Stafford, Leino and to a lesser extent Roy.

The reality is we are now tied for 13th in goals for and are 15th in goals against. Not good in either direction.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 10:53 PM
DJN21

Quote:
I agree with you there. The 3 main culprits are Stafford, Leino and to a lesser extent Roy.

The reality is we are now tied for 13th in goals for and are 15th in goals against. Not good in either direction.
at what point do we blame lindys constant...and i mean constant shuffling of lines on lack of chemistry and lack of scoring? Ik hes had a hard time patching together a team with the injuries but come on? it takes a period and a half before lines are shuffles players r benched and everything goes to hell. If we disregard the Montreal game can we honestly note a single game where Lindy's lines have been a glaring positive?

Old
12-02-2011, 10:59 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:

What do you think needs to be done about it?

I don't know. How much longer do you let Ville Leino, Derek Roy and Drew Stafford stink up the joint before you say enough is enough and start sitting them (at different times) for a game or two?

They sat Myers. I would like to think that Lindy would have no problem doing it to one or any of those three right now. You would hope sooner or later they would break out but this is beyond ridiculous.

They are hurting this team a lot more than they are helping it.

Old
12-02-2011, 11:02 PM
DJN21

Quote:

I don't know. How much longer do you let Ville Leino, Derek Roy and Drew Stafford stink up the joint before you say enough is enough and start sitting them (at different times) for a game or two?

They sat Myers. I would like to think that Lindy would have no problem doing it to one or any of those three right now. You would hope sooner or later they would break out but this is beyond ridiculous.

I said the same thing to my friends tonight...if Myers deserved a sitting then Leino is overdue

Old
12-02-2011, 11:03 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:

Screw sitting them. 2 of those 3 have been extremely streaky their entire careers here ESPECIALLY Stafford. I think by now, they're old enough to know they have to produce. You don't produce? Go play for another team. Its time these worthless bums found a new team to play 25-30 good games a season for.

Old
12-02-2011, 11:08 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
at what point do we blame lindys constant...and i mean constant shuffling of lines on lack of chemistry and lack of scoring? Ik hes had a hard time patching together a team with the injuries but come on? it takes a period and a half before lines are shuffles players r benched and everything goes to hell. If we disregard the Montreal game can we honestly note a single game where Lindy's lines have been a glaring positive?
You have to put part of the blame on that but lets be realistic... they are getting chances but not cashing in.

I've just had it with the injury excuses and the we have to come out better statements. Not being ready to play has been a glaring issue dating back to 2006-2007.

NEEDING changes is well past its prime.

Old
12-02-2011, 11:15 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

I like this pairing. ennis-adam -pominville

Ennis and pominville played well together
Adam has the right kind of kick for pominville.
stafford is a great supporting power forward. Kinda reminds me of Mikael Renberg

I would go

vanek-roy-stafford
ennis adam pominville
hecht leino kassian
ellis gaustad tropp

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 12-02-2011 at 11:26 PM.
ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:17 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
Screw sitting them. 2 of those 3 have been extremely streaky their entire careers here ESPECIALLY Stafford. I think by now, they're old enough to know they have to produce. You don't produce? Go play for another team. Its time these worthless bums found a new team to play 25-30 good games a season for.
It seems that the Sabres brass really was put in a Catch 22 with Stafford after last year.

He scored 31 goals but he was scoreless in 42 of the 62 games he played and in 6 of the 7 in the playoffs.

I don't blame them for re-signing him. I think it was a risk they had to take but it really appears that Drew Stafford is more of a 18-20 goal guy. Maybe even that is giving him too much credit since he only tickled 20 once in his career before last season.

Old
12-02-2011, 11:22 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
It seems that the Sabres brass really was put in a Catch 22 with Stafford after last year.

He scored 31 goals but he was scoreless in 42 of the 62 games he played and in 6 of the 7 in the playoffs.

I don't blame them for re-signing him. I think it was a risk they had to take but it really appears that Drew Stafford is more of a 18-20 goal guy. Maybe even that is giving him too much credit since he only tickled 20 once in his career before last season.
I don't completely fault them for re-signing him... but its time to ship him out of here. We have an entire team of streaky players... really don't need to keep them all around wasting space and money. Its obvious with Stafford that's what you're going to get. A player who looks like a 1st line player like 25 games a season and a 4th liner for a majority of the rest.