HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where are They Now? Kerr, Watson, Barber, Schultz, Lonsberry, Clarke, Watson, Marsh

Old
08-24-2011, 11:59 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Where are They Now? Kerr, Watson, Barber, Schultz, Lonsberry, Clarke, Watson, Marsh

This was a great read. Good memories. Kerr was and still is my favorite player. Had his number throughout my playing career and even attended his camps. Guy was a horse in front of the net and always enjoyed how he "switched hands" oftentimes to score his many goals. I'm glad I got to experience his playing career....it was a great pleasure and him and Eklund just lit it up.

Quote:
AVALON, N.J. -- Tim Kerr, who ranks seventh in goals per game in NHL history, probably is the league’s runaway all-time leader in stoicism.

They practically had to put him on the operating table to stop him. And they will place him in his grave before he ever complains.

Not only did Kerr rarely raise a stick at the defensemen who chopped at and hung on him while he was scoring 370 career goals in 655 games, he wouldn’t even bother to lift it as the goal light went on.

“I wasn’t excited when I scored because I expected to score,” he said. “I always said the best job in hockey was to be a 20-goal scorer. Score once every four games and life is good.”
Quote:
“I look back on guys taking shots before games to freeze up, remember playing an Islander series with a strap-on when I couldn’t get my hand out of my pocket without using my other arm. Today I don’t think you would see that very much. But we had some warriors who would do anything to try to win.”

He laughed.

“I gave everything I had with my body,” Kerr said. “I know that because I can feel it today.

If it’s any consolation to the goalies who surrendered to him, Kerr, 51, needs a knee replacement.

Quote:
After averaging 56 goals over the previous four seasons, he missed almost all of 1987-88. Yet he still scored a goal in the Game 7 loss in Washington, and thanks to Pat Croce and an almost supernatural will, bounced back the next season to get 48 and win the Bill Masterton Trophy for his perseverance.

“He was as dedicated an athlete as I have ever worked with,” said Mike Keenan, who coached the Flyers to those two finals.

Kerr had an unfortunate amount of practice at it. He missed half the 1989-90 season, when the Flyers missed the playoffs for the first time in 17 years, then the following year came back 14 days after Kathy’s death only to soon need arthroscopic knee surgery.

He returned too soon, rested some more, then stepped on a puck during a warmup and suffered an incapacitating groin-hip pull. When he finally came back in March, for the first time in his career he wasn’t instantly pumping goals. New GM Russ Farwell began the necessary overhaul by exposing Kerr to the expansion draft to stock the San Jose Sharks, who quickly traded him to the Rangers for Brian Mullen.

“Jay Snider’s was the first call to me, and he apologized,” said Kerr. “I believe sincerely the Flyers didn’t think I would be picked up.

“Going to another team after pretty much your whole career in Philly was not easy. That was the end of it for me, passion-wise, because it really didn’t work out after that. I had another operation, then went to Hartford the next year with [coach Paul] Holmgren and my knee just wasn’t responding, so I packed it in.
http://www.csnphilly.com/08/24/11/Fl...770&feedID=704

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 12-04-2011 at 08:56 PM.
FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 12:04 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1045
Good series by Jay Greenberg. I think his next piece is on Jim Watson.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 12:07 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Good read

08-25-2011, 12:20 AM
FlyerX

Very underrated player, not just a giant who planted himself in the crease and knocked home garbage. His skating was pretty good for such a big guy and he could lug the puck well too. He was on his way to the Hall Of Fame before his injuries.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 06:30 AM
Don Nachbaur 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Good read
A whole lot better than the "good read" on Matt Cooke on the main page.

Don Nachbaur 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 10:02 AM
Jumping

I remember when his wife passed away. What a tremendous blow to a good man.

The Flyers have really had their share of tragedy. I think there have been about 1/2 dozen deaths of people within the organization over the past 30 years.

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 12:45 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Tim Kerr is one of the nicest and classiest guys to ever wear the Flyers sweater.
really good read btw.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 04:33 PM
MsWoof

He is my 3rd fave all time player behind Clarke and Richards. Sounds like a terrific person.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 06:14 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

He is my all time favorite right winger as a flyer. I still believe if he had been healthy we may have grabbed a cup from the oilers.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 08:15 PM
SgtJoseph

Tim owns our minor league hockey team here in Northwest Florida..I have talked with him a few times over the years at games...Great guy !

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 06:42 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Here's the aforementioned Jim Watson article if anyone is interested. Another good one. I'm not sure of his next one, could be Poulin.

http://www.csnphilly.com/08/31/11/Fl...452&feedID=695

Quote:
Admittedly, blood runs thicker than the ice water that needs to be poured over the sleeping heads of those who have a Flyers Hall of Fame vote and don’t use it on Jimmy Watson. But whoever they are – the team won’t release names of the selectors – brother Joe Watson would like to send over Schultzie, Hound and the boys for a little, uh, education.

“It’s a freaking injustice,” said Joe. “Jimmy was on five all-star teams and a Canada Cup team, I don’t understand.

“He was so smooth, steady, could backhand a pass as well as anybody who played in that era. People don’t remember, I guess. It should have happened a long time ago.”

Eventually, it probably will. But when Jimmy lay at Wills Eye Hospital for four days in 1977, both eyes covered after his left retina had been creased by the stick of the Blues’ Jerry Butler, Watson still had better vision than do these cumulative voters. By Cup II he had emerged as clearly the Flyers’ best defenseman in only his second season, on the way to a plus-295 for his nine-season career. One doesn’t have to be related to him to see a wrong that needs righting.

“Absolutely he belongs,” said Bob Clarke. “Jimmy could play.

Old
09-01-2011, 08:28 AM
cupfailure713

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Here's the aforementioned Jim Watson article if anyone is interested. Another good one. I'm not sure of his next one, could be Poulin.

http://www.csnphilly.com/08/31/11/Fl...452&feedID=695
I had Jimmy as a coach when I was younger (played on the same team as his younger son; my brother played on a team with his older son). That old run down rink in Valley Forge was an absolute train wreck. I forget what is is now...may have turned back into a gym. One thing I remember about him was how intense he could be when coaching our games/practices.

cupfailure713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 10:49 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupfailure713 View Post
I had Jimmy as a coach when I was younger (played on the same team as his younger son; my brother played on a team with his older son). That old run down rink in Valley Forge was an absolute train wreck. I forget what is is now...may have turned back into a gym. One thing I remember about him was how intense he could be when coaching our games/practices.
He belongs in the team's Hall. There's never been enough solid reasoning to exclude him. He was an important player and certainly top six d-man in team history. Perhaps the quotes in the article can coax the necessary voters, however, they are aware of his contributions and have been presented with similar proposals. Steady doesn't sell like sizzle and that is possibly a contributing factor.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 09-01-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old
09-01-2011, 01:05 PM
cupfailure713

Quote:
He belongs in the team's Hall. There's never been enough solid reasoning to exclude him. He was an important player and certainly top six d-man in team history. Perhaps the quotes in the article can coax the necessary voters, however, they are aware of his contributions and have been presented with similar proposals. Steady doesn't sell like sizzle and that is possibly a contributing factor.
I never knew much about him as a player. Reading that article is the most I have ever read about him in regards to his NHL career. I always heard more about his brother. One thing I learned from him in regards to playing hockey is defense first. If you neglected defense, expect to be grilled after the game for a good 10 minutes.

I would think any major contributors to the two cup wins and the team for that long would have been inducted into the team's Hall already. Hopefully he gets in soon.

Old
09-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Bill_Meltzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupfailure713 View Post
I never knew much about him as a player. Reading that article is the most I have ever read about him in regards to his NHL career. I always heard more about his brother. One thing I learned from him in regards to playing hockey is defense first. If you neglected defense, expect to be grilled after the game for a good 10 minutes.

I would think any major contributors to the two cup wins and the team for that long would have been inducted into the team's Hall already. Hopefully he gets in soon.
Heroes of the Past: Jimmy Watson -- http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?bcid=2757

Quote:
When Eric Desjardins retired in the summer of 2006, Flyers fans and the local media actively debated "Rico's" rightful place in the pantheon of great Philadelphia defensemen. Most fans placed Desjardins second, after the sublimely talented Mark Howe. Those who had Desjardins a little lower on the list gave the second-place nod to players ranging from Brad "The Beast" McCrimmon to hard-shooting Bob "The Count" Dailey or original Flyer Ed Van Impe.

One name that often gets overlooked is five-time NHL All-Star Jimmy Watson. The younger Watson brother was one of the NHL's steadiest blueliners – and inspirational leaders – for nearly a decade, playing every one of his combined 714 NHL regular season and playoff games in the orange and black. Unfortunately, the two-time Barry Ashbee Award winner's career was shortened by injuries, forcing him to retire at age 30.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 09-02-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Bill_Meltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 06:18 PM
cupfailure713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer View Post
Heroes of the Past: Jimmy Watson -- http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?bcid=2757
Thanks for the link, Bill. That was an awesome article.

Old
09-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
I know and like Jimmy. He was a very good d-man and is a great guy. However he is not in the top six all time in my opinion.

Old
09-02-2011, 06:45 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I know and like Jimmy. He was a very good d-man and is a great guy. However he is not in the top six all time in my opinion.
Besides Howe and Desjardins, who would you put above him? McCrimmon probably.

Old
09-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Besides Howe and Desjardins, who would you put above him? McCrimmon probably.
Mccrimmon
Pronger
Timonen
Dailey
Wilson
Johnsson
Dupont
Asbee
Samuelsson
Galley
Marsh
Therien
Eriksson
Van Impe
Meszaros
I have about 30 d-men I like and I have Jimmy in the top 15.
It is just my opinion. I always have liked Jimmy. Do not bust my balls about Brad Marsh. He was one of my favorite players and he brought more to the table than stats. Anyway we have one thing is common and that is we think the world of the Flyers. Plus at my age you cannot change my mind

Old
09-02-2011, 08:51 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

^ There is no true method to measure the comparative skills of players through the generations and to conduct such a list is as you stated, just opinions. I won't bust chops regarding Brad Marsh. One of my favorites. He was spectacular for most of the 1985 playoffs and elevated his game when McCrimmon was injured. His shot-blocking skills against the Islanders and Nordiques were highlights. I'd still put Watson ahead of him, however, especially because of mobility.

Meszaros and Pronger weren't considered based on years of service. Timonen and Johnsson rate highly.

Ed Van Impe, sure, part of the discussion to fill out the top six. Depends on what type of d-man would be preferred. Bob Dailey is another favorite but again I'd choose Watson.

Thomas Eriksson, however, didn't contribute at the level of Watson.

Old
09-07-2011, 02:05 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Bill Barber

Next installment...Billy B

Quote:
On the day Bill Barber retired, Bob Clarke was asked what it had been like to play with the best left wing of his time.

“Easy,” said Clarke.

Indeed, much harder is trying to explain why the “LCB” line that combined for 141 goals in 1975-76 only sporadically played together over the following six seasons that Clarke, Barber and Reggie Leach remained with the Flyers. Leach slumped, was reborn and slumped again, plus other needs arose. But ultimately much easier to explain than the history of the three was their chemistry.

“Clarkie makes the bombs and I drop ‘em,” Leach said. As for Barber, it may sound absurd that a three-time end of season all-star selection who scored 50 goals for those 1975-76 Flyers – an edition more loaded than the two champions that preceded it and arguably the best team ever to not win the Stanley Cup – had the primary function of playing lookout while opponents looked over their shoulders for Clarke.

Barber, who could work a corner, make a play and shoot, too, didn’t make the Hall of Fame just by playing third man high.

Nevertheless, Clarke, the most ferocious and effective forechecker in history, could pursue without conscience to an incredible plus-93 that season because he knew Barber, plus-81, had his back.

“I was a puck chaser and he could play off me,” said Clarke. “He was such an intelligent player, was always in good defensive position.

“It was Scotty Bowman who told me that we were on the ice that year for something like five even-strength goals against the entire year. He also told me it was the best line he ever saw.”

It was the best line Bowman ever beat, too. Seven future Montreal Hall of Famers – Guy Lafleur, Guy Lapointe, Steve Shutt, Serge Savard, Larry Robinson, Bob Gainey and Ken Dryden – led a sweep of the watershed 1976 finals by a margin of just five total goals.

“If we had some goaltending and Ricky (Bernie Parent missed the final two rounds and center Rick MacLeish had been lost to an ACL tear in February) we would have won another one,” said Barber.

We’ll never know – unlike Clarke knowing exactly where Barber was going to be in every situation, which always was exactly where he wanted to be, too, for 12 seasons, all with the Flyers.

“I liked playing both ends,” Barber said over lunch last week. “When they asked me to play a little center, a little defense in a pinch, I enjoyed that.

“I liked being relied upon, took pride in being in the right spot at the right time.”

http://www.csnphilly.com/09/07/11/Fl...078&feedID=704

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 02:29 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

^ Good stuff. Glad he has another strong relationship.

Awesome line:

In August, he called back Feaster and said he was ready to go back to work in Tampa, an hour from the place on Siesta Key he had bought in 1977 for a monthly payment of “two bar nights,” and is so glad he did.

Old
09-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

I'd like to see that 5 even strength goals against stat confirmed. That would be incredible.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 06:10 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Billy is hands down our best left winger period.He is also a great guy.

Old
09-29-2011, 12:53 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Dave Schultz...

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...492&feedID=695

Quote:
HAMMONTON, N.J. – Dave Schultz gave the Flyers protection and an image. From the drop of his gloves until, arms wind-milling in exasperation, he was finally pushed up the tunnel towards the locker room by an exhausted linesmen, No. 8 also provided them energy.

So even though Schultz still sometimes can’t believe he was that person, his latest reincarnation from that life is almost as spooky as was an opponent’s visit to the Spectrum while The Hammer lurked.

“I sell electricity,” Schultz said last week over lunch at the Silver Coin Dinner, 20 minutes from his home in Mays Landing. “Deregulation in Pennsylvania has been great for me.

“I have a number of suppliers I represent. I started with a company named Glacier Energy, still have them and a company named SP-One out of Center City. I’m working with them to try to develop some solar-energy projects.”
Here's the latest in the series...

Bleeping cancer. In Jim Jackson's recent book, he mentioned Lonsberry had a serious illness but didn't specify.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...038&feedID=695

Quote:
Steady as he goes, Ross Lonsberry fights cancer.

“The last appointment before I reached five years after colon cancer surgery, when they declare you free and clear, the doctor says ‘We found something in your blood work we need to check out’” said Lonsberry from his home north of Los Angeles.

“They found the cancer had metastasized in my lung. Two rounds of radiation didn’t do anything, so I had to go through chemo from April though June.

“It was all doom and gloom until I had another scan in July. The tumor had shrunk. Another doctor, a Philly guy it turns out, told me he only had to take out half the lung. Wouldn’t need to put a tube in the other.

“They still had to cut me from the shoulder down through my chest. Six hours on the table. I’ve been home since August 20, twiddling my toes and doing my nails. Starting to drive a little ahead of when I’m supposed to, so I’m sticking to the back roads for now.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 09-29-2011 at 01:32 PM.