HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

World Junior Championship Predictions

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-03-2011, 11:26 AM
  #26
prob22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 79
vCash: 500
Will Russia let gets like Yakupov and Kohklachev try out for team Russia. In the past the russians have kind of turned there back on the guys that jet for OHL but I dont know how who pass up those kids, especially yakupov.

prob22 is offline  
Old
12-03-2011, 11:33 AM
  #27
2525
Registered User
 
2525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
It is really annoying to hear the complaints every year about Canada not having their best team. It is going to be like that basically every year, so just get used to it. It is also very annoying when the overly ignorant posters get on and say that Canada's B team would win this tournament regularly. Obviously this is not the case. That being said, statements like this are also very annoying:



I would love to see a list of Swedish or Russian players that are being kept out of the world juniors that is nearly as impressive as Seguin, Skinner, Nugent-Hopkins, Johansen, Gudbranson, Connolly, Couturier. That list includes the three best eligible players for this tournament by far. Canada is missing essentially their entire top 6 and their #1 defenceman. Sweden is missing Landeskog and Larsson, definitely two great players, while Russia is missing no one that I am aware of.

A similar situation comes up every year. Last year it was Duchene, Seguin, Hall, Kane, Skinner and maybe someone else. It absolutely is whining when Canadian fans complain about the missing players every year, but it's ridiculous to say that other countries are regularly affected in a similar way. If all junior eligible players participated every year I honestly don't think Canada would lose more than once per ten tournaments, which would ruin this tournament.
Don't some say similar things in the various baseball and basketball tournaments where pros aren't able to play for whatever reason?

I don't think it's whining. It's fact and one fans of every country would use.

In fact a few years ago when non US teams were winning the Little League world series I heard an American announcer say "imagine if we had a team of the best players of all the regional American teams we'd never lose"
And he's talking about 13 y/o and under kids.

2525 is offline  
Old
12-03-2011, 11:47 AM
  #28
vorky
@vorkywh24
 
vorky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Norris View Post
Okay, you try to convince Edmonton & Carolina that they should send down their leading scorers for a tournament right in the middle of the season. See what they tell you lol

Also playing in the NHL and playing in the KHL, Elitserien, or SM-Liiga are 2 completely different things. That comparison is a waste of time.
your opinion, I dont agree. Playing NHL, KHL, Elitserien is the same. Let us see, Kuznestov is best in points in Traktor.. he will miss a lot during WJC.. any problem? no.. just NHL has problem, every year. Ban this league and problem will be solved

vorky is offline  
Old
12-03-2011, 11:50 AM
  #29
2525
Registered User
 
2525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
your opinion, I dont agree. Playing NHL, KHL, Elitserien is the same. Let us see, Kuznestov is best in points in Traktor.. he will miss a lot during WJC.. any problem? no.. just NHL has problem, every year. Ban this league and problem will be solved
Raise the draft age to 20.....problem solved.

2525 is offline  
Old
12-03-2011, 11:51 AM
  #30
WayneBruce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Norris View Post
The loss of Adam Larsson & Gabriel Landeskog is huge for Sweden. I don't think they have enough to top Russia/Finland. I wouldn't count them out completely but I just think Finland/Russia will overpower them.
huh? overpower? Russia has not played against Sweden this fall (A-team against A-team). Finland has played Sweden 3 times:

Salt Lake:

Sweden - Finland 7-1
Sweden - Finland 8-4

Vaasa:

Sweden - Finland 5-0

I say the two games in Salt Lake and the difference was big between the teams. Finland is sending a very talented team, but probably a bit too young to challenge for medals. 3 of the defencemen will probably be 94s, and the forwards will be relatively young too.


Also, Canada will be competing for the gold medal. I also predict the US to win the gold, but Canada will never send a team that cant win gold. There are just so many players to choose from.

WayneBruce is offline  
Old
12-03-2011, 11:55 AM
  #31
canucksfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 25,356
vCash: 500
I don't know why some of you are whining, Canada's Team E could win gold.

canucksfan is offline  
Old
12-03-2011, 11:56 AM
  #32
J17 Vs Proclamation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Reading.
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,877
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2525 View Post
Don't some say similar things in the various baseball and basketball tournaments where pros aren't able to play for whatever reason?

I don't think it's whining. It's fact and one fans of every country would use.

In fact a few years ago when non US teams were winning the Little League world series I heard an American announcer say "imagine if we had a team of the best players of all the regional American teams we'd never lose"
And he's talking about 13 y/o and under kids.
So? There whining makes yours acceptable. I have yet to embark on any attempts to become a school teacher and do "dark things", but if i did and blamed it on a similar story i had heard on the news last thursday whilst eating jacket potatoe, would it be justified?

Anybody with any knowledge knows Canada is missing players. We know Canada has the best overall Junior programme and produces numerically more talents than anybody else. But that has nothing to do with this event.

It absolutely is whining. Get over it, and be grateful it's a problem. Your essential moaning about something that is actually good for you. It's like whining because you are so good looking, you don't need to use your personality to get girls.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline  
Old
12-03-2011, 12:05 PM
  #33
cheerupmurray
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Norris View Post
The loss of Adam Larsson & Gabriel Landeskog is huge for Sweden. I don't think they have enough to top Russia/Finland. I wouldn't count them out completely but I just think Finland/Russia will overpower them.
I don't have that high hopes for Sweden this year, but to be honest this post just seems clueless. Have you noticed the results between Swedens j-20team and Finlands j-20team this year? It has been the story of one team overpowering the other and it hasn't been Finland coming out on top. The results so far have been: 7-1, 8-4 and 5-0 in Swedens favour, and yet you claim Sweden have no chance against our neighbours? Finland could definitely beat Sweden in WJC but is not the favourite to do so. Russia is a different story, it could go either way is my guess.

cheerupmurray is offline  
Old
12-03-2011, 12:08 PM
  #34
2525
Registered User
 
2525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
So? There whining makes yours acceptable. I have yet to embark on any attempts to become a school teacher and do "dark things", but if i did and blamed it on a similar story i had heard on the news last thursday whilst eating jacket potatoe, would it be justified?

Anybody with any knowledge knows Canada is missing players. We know Canada has the best overall Junior programme and produces numerically more talents than anybody else. But that has nothing to do with this event.

It absolutely is whining. Get over it, and be grateful it's a problem. Your essential moaning about something that is actually good for you. It's like whining because you are so good looking, you don't need to use your personality to get girls.
I don't really consider it whining, well okay whining about something that's true then.

Whist I may agree that it get's old, no can say no other country would not "whine" like Canadians do if in similar circumstances.

and how do you know that I'm so good looking that my personality isn't important to get girls?

2525 is offline  
Old
12-03-2011, 12:14 PM
  #35
2525
Registered User
 
2525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,728
vCash: 500
My prediction after thinking about it are.

Gold- USA (not to take anything away from the players but any team with Jack Campbell in net has to be favoured)
Silver- Finland or Sweden
Bronze-Finland or Sweden
4th-Russia
5th-Canada

2525 is offline  
Old
12-03-2011, 12:30 PM
  #36
Muuri
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,597
vCash: 500
Don't see a realistic scenario where Finland finishes above Canada and Russia. Defense, goaltending, coaching... just too many question marks on this team.

Muuri is offline  
Old
12-03-2011, 12:31 PM
  #37
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!
 
Fixed to Ruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 7,034
vCash: 50
My prediction:

This will be one of the most competitive tournaments in years. Every team 1 through 5 have great players. However, every team has a few weaknesses, although some are less apparent in others.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Granlund will lead the tournament in scoring. Hamilton will be the best defenseman. Campbell the best goaltender.

I'll be a homer and say Canada wins gold, but i think the semi final match ups might be the better games in this tourny. I can't imagine the epic battles. I'm guessing CAN-RUS and SWE-FIN might play eachother.


It's gonna be awsome! I'm more excited for this than xmas.

Fixed to Ruin is offline  
Old
12-03-2011, 12:51 PM
  #38
Scarecrow Boat
Registered User
 
Scarecrow Boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Denmark
Posts: 4,172
vCash: 500
I can't believe how many of you plugs are still calling this whining lol

I could give a rats ******* if Canada got relegated. Fact of the matter is, 8 players that could be on the team aren't. I'm not *****ing about it at all I'm stating a very real fact lol the same way it is a fact that Sweden is missing Larsson & Landeskog. Some of you guys are out right ridiculous.

and the stats of Finland vs. Sweden aren't even the top players vs. top players so why even bring it up?

Scarecrow Boat is offline  
Old
12-03-2011, 12:56 PM
  #39
kiluj
Registered User
 
kiluj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Samara, Russia
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuri View Post
Don't see a realistic scenario where Finland finishes above Canada and Russia. Defense, goaltending, coaching... just too many question marks on this team.
Russia also has problems with defense and goaltending (as always).

kiluj is offline  
Old
12-03-2011, 12:58 PM
  #40
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,939
vCash: 500
Canada doesn't win. Sweden provides an upset over Russia or USA...Russia or USA wins it.

Zibanejad's coming out party as one of the games best prospects.

Minister of Offence is offline  
Old
12-03-2011, 01:00 PM
  #41
Muuri
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiluj View Post
Russia also has problems with defense and goaltending (as always).
What about the coaching? Finland's coach has just bit over two years of coaching experience and this is his first tournament as the headcoach.

Muuri is offline  
Old
12-03-2011, 01:01 PM
  #42
BLBarmada
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,385
vCash: 500
My prediction:

I agree with the statement that this is going to be most comepetitive tournament in a long time. However I say ever.


2 the favorite is Canada don't kid yourselves, 10 straight goldmedal games (knock on wood and that will end soon unfortunately)

3:Where is the love ? In 2006, Canada was the underdog...... They owned that tournament...

4:The Finns are coming.... Young team yes but guys finnish hockey is back, look for them to make some noise this year, and maybe a medal.

5:Yes Russia can do it again..... The magic they had ? They're better this year, they have arguably the most skilled team, folks the ovs are coming: Namestinikov,Yakupov,Kuznestov,Kucherov, Nesterov, that's a lot of ovs. Not to mention Khoklachev and more, they are the favorite no doubt.....

6: Then end of the Campbell era, yes thats correct it's his last go, after 2 years and making Canada hate him he will try to re win gold on our soil for the 2nd time. The States are the forgotten team, people forget who they can and will bring, strongest team in years, they will make some noise.

7: Life after Conz.... What a great run he and the Swiss had, many upsets, but who will tend the nets for them ? No Niño ? This will be a transtion year for them, massive underdogs they keep improving from year to year.

8: Super Slovaks, the Slovaks are going to be playing with heavy hearts, Tomas Jurco will lead this team, after that I dont know who else they have, but it will be solid.

9: Czech please, Martin Frk anyone, this is o e of the better Czech teams in years but yet it seems to have been forgotten about. They have the talent to make some noise, but with so many talented teams they probably won't.

10: the newcomers, i don't who they are but they won't make much noise.

Tournament MVP: Nail Yakupov,Russia
He's for real, hes a great player maybe Russia's best and he's going to light it up.

Best Goalie, Jack Campbell
The obvious choice and 2 time winner , he's going to be up to the task.

Best D: Jonas Brodin Sweden,
Homer pick here, underatted and relatively unknown, but he will be a leader on Swedens team.

Leading scorers:
Goals: Yakupov
Assists: Huberdeau
Points:Kuznestov


And finally the medalists:

Bronze Finland: the kid will make noise and the will medal, and show that next year they're on their way to bigger things. They'll beat Sweden.

Silver: USA, they will stroll through the tourni, but they won't have it in the end.

Gold Canada, host and very hungry, revenge is on their minds.

Most likely to spoil the party:Czechs

Least:Likely Slovaks

Biggest Dissapointment: Russia

BLBarmada is offline  
Old
12-03-2011, 01:13 PM
  #43
JackSlater
Registered User
 
JackSlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2525 View Post
Don't some say similar things in the various baseball and basketball tournaments where pros aren't able to play for whatever reason?

I don't think it's whining. It's fact and one fans of every country would use.

In fact a few years ago when non US teams were winning the Little League world series I heard an American announcer say "imagine if we had a team of the best players of all the regional American teams we'd never lose"
And he's talking about 13 y/o and under kids.
Just because it is a fact does not mean it is not whining. Canada is missing players, but the team there is the team there. I'm not really talking about those who bring that up once in a while, I am talking about those who freak out after a loss and try to pound Canada's missing players down the throat of every other poster as if to invalidate the results. Some posters will even do it pre-emptive strike, so that their pride is covered before the tournament even starts.

There is another side of course, which draws out these Canadian fans, and it is when you get other posters pretending that this is a best on best junior aged tournament when clearly it is not. These people provoke the Canadian fans after losses, but are also the ones who complain the most about them when Canada does well. I have probably seen someone complain about Canadian fans saying that their B team would be favourites ten times more often than I have actually seen Canadians say it.

To use your basketball reference, look at the world championships. If USA took that tournament seriously and sent all their best players every year, fully motivated and with experience in international basketball, they would win it every single year easily. If people are complaining about not winning because they did not send their best players, they are whining. They are also correct that they would have won had they sent everyone. Regardless of whether or not they admit it, everyone with any knowledge knows that USA is by far the best basketball country, so there is no need to whine about it.


Last edited by JackSlater: 12-03-2011 at 01:19 PM.
JackSlater is offline  
Old
12-03-2011, 01:18 PM
  #44
cheerupmurray
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Norris View Post
and the stats of Finland vs. Sweden aren't even the top players vs. top players so why even bring it up?
In the summer games both teams had pretty much their best teams, I think Finland was missing Mikael Granlund though.

In the lastest game Finland was missing Mikael Granlund, Määtä and Donskoi (otherwise pretty complete I think?)

Sweden was missing CHL-guys (like Rensfeldt, Rakell, Rask), Zibanejad, Brodin, Johan Gustafsson (plus Landeskog and Larsson ofc). Seems pretty even in losses.

I take I wild guess that you don't know much about swedish or finnish hockey?

cheerupmurray is offline  
Old
12-03-2011, 01:19 PM
  #45
Muuri
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBarmada View Post
Bronze Finland: the kid will make noise and the will medal, and show that next year they're on their way to bigger things. They'll beat Sweden.
Thing is if Finland doesn't medal this year, the window will be closed for a while. Granlund, Pulkkinen and Donskoi will be too old next year and it will take a while before they get players as good as these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerupmurray View Post
In the summer games both teams had pretty much their best teams, I think Finland was missing Mikael Granlund though.

In the lastest game Finland was missing Mikael Granlund, Määtä and Donskoi (otherwise pretty complete I think?)

Sweden was missing CHL-guys (like Rensfeldt, Rakell, Rask), Zibanejad, Brodin, Johan Gustafsson (plus Landeskog and Larsson ofc). Seems pretty even in losses.

I take I wild guess that you don't know much about swedish or finnish hockey?
Finland was missing Gibson, Mustonen and Partanen as well.

Muuri is offline  
Old
12-03-2011, 01:25 PM
  #46
vorky
@vorkywh24
 
vorky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuri View Post
What about the coaching? Finland's coach has just bit over two years of coaching experience and this is his first tournament as the headcoach.
Russian head coach is Bragin, like last year.. IMO good coach

vorky is offline  
Old
12-03-2011, 01:26 PM
  #47
cheerupmurray
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuri View Post
Thing is if Finland doesn't medal this year, the window will be closed for a while. Granlund, Pulkkinen and Donskoi will be too old next year and it will take a while before they get players as good as these.
Mikael Granlund will not be there but you seem to have some good agegroups on the rise. The finnish development system seems to be in a much better place now than a couple of years ago, or am I wrong?

cheerupmurray is offline  
Old
12-03-2011, 01:26 PM
  #48
VOB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,610
vCash: 500
The reality is that if it were not for the NHL regularly taking Canada's top U-20 players, this tournament would be a borefest... with Canada wining 14 out of every 15 years.....no country can come close to matching their talent...end of story. So let's be thankful for what we have because of the NHL, a wonderfully competitive tournament where 5 or 6 teams can realistically win it.

My prediction....no love for the Swedes people? This may very well be their year.

VOB is offline  
Old
12-03-2011, 01:30 PM
  #49
WayneBruce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Norris View Post
I can't believe how many of you plugs are still calling this whining lol

I could give a rats ******* if Canada got relegated. Fact of the matter is, 8 players that could be on the team aren't. I'm not *****ing about it at all I'm stating a very real fact lol the same way it is a fact that Sweden is missing Larsson & Landeskog. Some of you guys are out right ridiculous.

and the stats of Finland vs. Sweden aren't even the top players vs. top players so why even bring it up?
Yes, Sweden and Finland played their top teams in Salt Lake (Finland did not have Granlund and Zibanejad was injured if i remember correctly) and almost in Vaasa (No Granlund, Maata, Zibanejad or Brodin). Pretty much top team against top team. Larsson and Landeskog are not the only good players on the swedish team you know, Larsson is among the scoring leaders in SEL for example.

WayneBruce is offline  
Old
12-03-2011, 01:31 PM
  #50
Scarecrow Boat
Registered User
 
Scarecrow Boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Denmark
Posts: 4,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerupmurray View Post
In the summer games both teams had pretty much their best teams, I think Finland was missing Mikael Granlund though.

In the lastest game Finland was missing Mikael Granlund, Määtä and Donskoi (otherwise pretty complete I think?)

Sweden was missing CHL-guys (like Rensfeldt, Rakell, Rask), Zibanejad, Brodin, Johan Gustafsson (plus Landeskog and Larsson ofc). Seems pretty even in losses.

I take I wild guess that you don't know much about swedish or finnish hockey?
lol I'm not going to sit here and say I know everything about Swedish or Finnish hockey, not many people can. I know enough. All I got from your post was that it wasn't the rosters going to the U20s so I guess we'll see what happens ye?

Scarecrow Boat is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.