HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our third problem (now and in the future).

Old
12-04-2011, 03:36 PM
Firestorm

vCash: 500
Our third problem (now and in the future).

It's obvious that scoring (or more specifically scoring consistently) and defense have been our major problems since the start of the season. But I want to talk about another one that arose from last night (but I have been thinking about for a while).

Toughness in our Top 6

One out of our seven top 6 forwards is tough (Hornqvist). The rest of them together are as soft as creamed butter. A top 6 that won`t be pushed around is rather important in a Stanley Cup winning team. A Parise or Radulov wouldn`t solve the problem because truth be told that they are soft too.

Toughness in general on the team is scarce. Other than Weber, Tootoo, and McGrattan; there isn`t much to be (relatively) afraid of. People should be eating crow about how much we miss, guess who, SHANE O`BRIEN right now (even if he pinches too much for no apparent reason).

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Bobby Ryan

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 04:02 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Id also throw Wilson in the tough category. Hes a PWF and I see players bounce off of him all the time when they try to hit him. But he doesnt really throw to many hits so I guess you can take him out.
But I know what you mean, Hornqvist is the toughest but hes also the most inconsistent Offensively. Which is kind of an issue. Scoreless in 13 games and he hasnt been moved down yet? Shows a lil coachs pet love from Trotz.

I agree we need more toughness, but its not nearly as much of a necessity than a consistent scorer.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 04:17 PM
cleangene

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
It's obvious that scoring (or more specifically scoring consistently) and defense have been our major problems since the start of the season. But I want to talk about another one that arose from last night (but I have been thinking about for a while).

Toughness in our Top 6

One out of our seven top 6 forwards is tough (Hornqvist). The rest of them together are as soft as creamed butter. A top 6 that won`t be pushed around is rather important in a Stanley Cup winning team. A Parise or Radulov wouldn`t solve the problem because truth be told that they are soft too.

Toughness in general on the team is scarce. Other than Weber, Tootoo, and McGrattan; there isn`t much to be (relatively) afraid of. People should be eating crow about how much we miss, guess who, SHANE O`BRIEN right now (even if he pinches too much for no apparent reason).
A freakin MEN, brotha. Do you think #55 would have been a little "fired up" after that mess that happened to the preds last night??? I was glad to see the Captain try and stick up for Toots, but the team in general basically came out with no extra emotion at all for the rest of the game after the buffs made their statement- including yet ANOTHER episode of Horns being grabbed by the neck during the skirmish in the 3rd where he was penalized for having his neck in the way of a slug glove. IF the preds make the playoffs with this current team and coaching mindset, they will be eaten alive when physical play is ramped up 5-10 notches then.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 06:01 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

I think you're forgetting about Fisher. He plays the body and will stick up for his teammates when needed. I agree with the rest of this though. Maybe some bigger guys that can score up front might not be a bad idea?

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 07:33 PM
predfan98

I don't think weber has a lot of toughness this year. I think he's afraid of the shanahammer. Hopefully he figures it out and it's not the general disinterest of whatever funk he's in

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 08:54 PM
wadesworld

Wilson is definitely tough. I'm not sure about in a scrum, but Craig Smith plays tough. He's not afraid to go anywhere I've seen.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 04:34 AM
Reviled*
Partisan

Dang, so we suck at Offence, Defence AND Toughness?

Reviled* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Imagine this team without tootoo in the lineup for any amount of time. Scary.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 12:37 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoveTheTeamAlready View Post
Dang, so we suck at Offence, Defence AND Toughness?
Is that the new 3-headed dog?

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Meh, I don't think toughness is an issue. Sure, it's nice to have, but you really don't need it in today's NHL. Boston is more of an exception rather than a rule.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 12:59 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I saw "our third problem" and just assumed this was about me

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 01:21 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Imagine this team without tootoo in the lineup for any amount of time. Scary.
You mean like last season?

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 03:01 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

There is a difference between fighting and toughness. Fisher will throw hits and work in the hard areas. Wilson is a pretty tough guy. I'd put Legwand in that category as well, since he has played despite needing surgery (knee surgery, IIRC), and he's not afraid to take a hit to make a play. Hornqvist is absolutely fearless, but if we're using him as the standard, then nobody else on the team is going to look "tough."

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 03:13 PM
AEM6729

Isn't it hard for any team to have a tough top 6? It seems like most teams' toughness comes from their bottom six and their defense...and maybe one or two guys in the top six. How many truly skilled players in this league are really tough? Kesler comes to mind...and the Sedins are on his team, they're marshmallows.

I just want some legit top six players...those are scarce enough for us to get our hands on, let alone legit top six players that are tough. We can fill out the bottom six with cheap toughness.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 05:50 PM
Reviled*
Partisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Is that the new 3-headed dog?
Yeah, but lately I think a three-headed stay-puft marshmallow man may be more appropriate.

Hey, here's a thought: how's our record with 11 back in the lineup?

Old
12-05-2011, 10:47 PM
hockey diva

We have been soft for years! Very few guys have been willing play the body, they don't stand up for each other except in extreme circumstances (Arnott laying into Burrows after he clobbered Dumont). We got schooled by SJ in 2 playoff series cause we were such cream puffs. I lay some of the blame on Trotz. The team culture for whatever reason encourages soft play. Poile is also at fault as well since it's his draft picks that make up our soft team. Don't get me wrong. I don't want a bunch of goons but "taking numbers" is bullcrap. Some things never change.

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:19 AM
Reviled*
Partisan

Yeah, and when Poile finally drafted another Dman (other than Weber) who wasn't a smurf - we got Cody Franson: 6'5" of spun sugar.