HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#27|Penguins vs. Hurricanes|December 3rd, 2011|RBC Center 7:10 PM EST

Old
12-03-2011, 03:23 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
You think it's a timing thing then? Would it really account for THAT big a discrepancy as we're currently seeing?

As a whole, I understand that centers usually do better at home than on the road. But the difference isn't as great as what Crosby's current percentages show. For instance, Sid last year was 57.1% at home and dropped to 53.8% on the road. But it wasn't a massive swing.
The being away changes everything. The away team player has to have his stick on the dot, at least that's the way it was when I played in high school. As a center it always drove me crazy.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 03:25 PM
JTG

It's just so much easier to cheat when you're at home.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 04:17 PM
TheDudeAbides

Interested to see if the Canes look any different defensively under Muller

TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 04:20 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Carolina has given up 91 goals for most in the league. Hopefully we won't get another stand on his head performance from Ward.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 04:47 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

.. I think Geno gets revenge on Ward.. 4 points.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

Sid and Geno need to bounce back after the underwhelming Caps game or I'll feel bad.

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 05:12 PM
PTWarrior66*

Crosby gets the hatty tonight.

PTWarrior66* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 05:13 PM
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

I was expecting Johnson in net and I'm fine with it. Fleury needs a break and I'd much rather see him between the pipes against Boston. Hopefully Johnny's got his mojo back and we can win this one.

Cardboard Orpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Pancakes

It's hard not to be ridiculously excited about our future on the blue line with Despres and Morrow in the pipe line.

It's the near future, too, imo. Considering how Morrow looked in camp and how Despres has already held his own in the AHL we might be seeing one or both on the roster in the next couple of years and that is very exciting to me.

Now if only we could develop a legit top six winger. Tangradi and Bennett just aren't as exciting prospects to me as Despres and Morrow. I believe far more in Morrow and Despres' abilities than the former two guys. I hope they prove me wrong though.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 05:29 PM
SidGenoMario

I forgot Bennett existed, how has he done this year?

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 05:30 PM
mpp9

Despres and Morrow will likely have higher ceilings at their position but Tangradi is an Nhler. Just a matter if he's top six material in DB's system. I think his ability down low and around the net will do wonders for Geno's puck possession game.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 05:45 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

I remain excited about Bennett. He's a bigger Sullivan with a better shot and minus the skating. Should be a fixture on the PP if he pans out. Love his play-making.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
I remain excited about Bennett. He's a bigger Sullivan with a better shot and minus the skating. Should be a fixture on the PP if he pans out. Love his play-making.
I just worry about his style. He seems a bit floaty as a player, which I have no problem with really, but I know Bylsma has trouble making use of that kind of player.

I'm worried the Pens will try to tell him to forecheck and hit and all that and that's not his game. I'd much rather he develop into a Hemsky type (his ceiling imo) who can add to the powerplay with his patience and vision. Imo that's the biggest need for our team still, is a guy who can really help run the powerplay and play the left side as a right handed shot. Sullivan has been a huge help in that regard but he's not a long term solution there. If we got a guy who could calm things down on the powerplay on the left side half-wall that would make our powerplay truly deadly in no time.

Old
12-03-2011, 05:52 PM
joey23

Sid still looking to get better :

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...id=DL|NHL|home

EDIT : "I still think I can get better at timing and stuff like that, but I think with each game it has gotten better," Crosby said. "Am I right there? No, I don't expect to be there in five games. But I expect it to get better with each game in certain areas. Some things have been like that and some things take more time, but I'm happy with the way I've felt for the most part."

joey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 05:52 PM
TheDudeAbides

Just saw the tweet that Brent Johnson is in net. I'll go ahead and chalk that up to an L

Edit: Unless Sid does something amazing that compensates for it, which is entirely possible.

Old
12-03-2011, 05:54 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

He's a lot like Hemsky as far as play-making and hands, but what makes Hemsky is his skating which Beau will never have. I've likened him to Huselius before.

Understand the concern re: our system, but I don't think it should be a big problem. From what I've read, he's doing all he can to add good weight and is starting to play a bit more physically. Being a floater isn't necessarily a death sentence.

Old
12-03-2011, 05:57 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 560
Why does nobody have faith in BJ? He was terrific last year. He's had 2 lousy starts this year.

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 06:03 PM
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
Being a floater isn't necessarily a death sentence.
No and it shouldn't be. I sometimes feel that Dan wants every player on the team to be Chris Kunitz. I love Dan B and his system but I think the easiest way to ruin a prospect is to tell him to be something he's not. I honestly think some of that has gone on with Eric Tangradi too. Stop telling him to be a hitting and forechecking force. Let him be the player he is, and gauge from that whether or not he fits in with the team.

Take guys like Ovechkin and Semin. Their scoring has dried up I think at least in part because their coaches have asked them to be something they aren't. There's nothing wrong with guys who are pure scorers. Not everyone needs to be Sidney Crosby who is basically perfect at everything. Let a guy do what he does best.

Old
12-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Carolina has given up 91 goals for most in the league. Hopefully we won't get another stand on his head performance from Ward.
So ... a 50 save shutout for Ward tonight?

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 06:17 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
No and it shouldn't be. I sometimes feel that Dan wants every player on the team to be Chris Kunitz. I love Dan B and his system but I think the easiest way to ruin a prospect is to tell him to be something he's not. I honestly think some of that has gone on with Eric Tangradi too. Stop telling him to be a hitting and forechecking force. Let him be the player he is, and gauge from that whether or not he fits in with the team.

Take guys like Ovechkin and Semin. Their scoring has dried up I think at least in part because their coaches have asked them to be something they aren't. There's nothing wrong with guys who are pure scorers. Not everyone needs to be Sidney Crosby who is basically perfect at everything. Let a guy do what he does best.
Very well said. Not everyone can be Pascal Dupuis and that's a very good thing. Especially for top draft picks. Let them do what they do. You can be responsible defensively without being a forechecking maniac.

I've said before - our team could use more floaters.

Old
12-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Penguintastic

Send a message via AIM to Penguintastic
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanalz View Post
Why does nobody have faith in BJ? He was terrific last year. He's had 2 lousy starts this year.
Because we don't seem to show up when he is in net

Penguintastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguintastic View Post
He's 1-3-2 for the year.

Yikes.

Cardboard Orpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 06:43 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I don't think Beej is playing that bad, either. It just goes to show how well Fleury is playing. It also shows how Fleury is bailing us out on a few breakdowns, too. BJ just can't do the same. We have to play good defense for him.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 06:57 PM
TheDudeAbides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguintastic View Post
Nice try, Brent

Old
12-03-2011, 06:57 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I don't think Beej is playing that bad, either. It just goes to show how well Fleury is playing. It also shows how Fleury is bailing us out on a few breakdowns, too. BJ just can't do the same. We have to play good defense for him.
We also don't seem capable of scoring goals when Johnson starts.

In Johnson's starts, the team has scored 1, 2, 3, 3, 2 goals, respectively, in his losses/OTSOL. Or 11 goals in 5 games, averaging just barely 2 goals per game. The only time the team scored more than 3 goals, Johnson earned his only win in a 4-2 victory over the Wild. Overall, Johnson has gotten 2.5 goals per game offensive support.

In comparison, the team has scored 67 goals in Fleury's 20 starts, for a goals per game of 3.35. That's almost an entire goal more per game than what Johnson receives.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote