HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Part Link Gaetz (that's XXIII for you rookies)

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2011, 11:46 PM
Kitten Mittons

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
I'm close to dropping out of school, I have a job opening up at my work which has an entry salary that's more than most jobs I would get out of college and the fact that I know all of the people at work and am pretty good friends with them is honestly making me consider taking it..

To be honest, I haven't learned a single thing in college, everything I've been taught in classes I already knew and studied on my own in high school. The only thing stopping me from dropping out is I have no job security if I get laid off/fired because I won't be able to get a new job in a company I'm not already involved with.

Pretty sad state of affairs that the American university system is, where you don't learn anything and go there for a piece of paper. Hell, I don't study at all and spend maybe an hour writing my papers and not going to class.

I thought it would be different but it feels like an easier version of High School because I'm not even graded on attendance so I can blow off all my classes unless something is due.

I had one of my professors write on one of my papers that I should come to class more often to share my views. Maybe if he taught me things I would. I haven't liked any of my professors so far.

/endrant.
I totally feel you, dude. How close to graduating are you though? If close, might as well stick with it - I mean it'd be a waste of all the effort over the years.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:48 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
I totally feel you, dude. How close to graduating are you though? If close, might as well stick with it - I mean it'd be a waste of all the effort over the years.
Like a year away, I'll be done next fall I think? I just don't like having to pay more for classes where I feel the instruction is of lower quality than the Junior College that I transferred from and the tuition is like 5x the Junior College. It's a matter of principle.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:49 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Like a year away, I'll be done next fall I think? I just don't like having to pay more for classes where I feel the instruction is of lower quality than the Junior College that I transferred from and the tuition is like 5x the Junior College. It's a matter of principle.
You go to UC Davis? What are you studying?

Old
12-05-2011, 11:50 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
You go to UC Davis? What are you studying?
Yes, UC Davis, studying Philosophy. Doing logic, and ethics this quarter.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:52 PM
Kitten Mittons

What kind of job are you looking for with the degree? My buddy is a Philosophy major but he plans on applying for law school.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:54 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
What kind of job are you looking for with the degree? My buddy is a Philosophy major but he plans on applying for law school.
No specific job based on the major, just want the degree and the subject interests me. I should say it used to interest me, but I haven't learned anything new in 2 years here so I'm getting bored of it. I've almost fulfilled my major requirements, though.

There has been one class so far that I haven't understood, and the ironic part about it was the teacher had an extremely thick accent, I couldn't understand his handwriting, there was no book for the class, and he didn't explain things well when I tried to schedule a one on one meeting with him. Funny, though, the one class where I could have used a professor in and he wasn't available to teach.

Old
12-06-2011, 12:01 AM
sharksohnoes!
yeahokayidiot

I value my education. I studied at San Francisco State from 2004 to 2009. Started out in the music engineering department, then into the political science department and finally landed in the journalism department where I got my degree in photojournalism. I had a great time in college. I really busted my ass at the end, and it was totally worth it. College is really what you make it. And in this job market, it would look really bad to not have a degree listed.

I also started to pursue my masters degree in photography at the academy of art university in 2010. After a year and a half I realized I had paid around $20k and hadn't learned a thing. Cut my losses at withdrew from the program at the end of summer.

My two biggest advice points about college: 1) NETWORK. This is so important. I've gotten some sweet jobs because someone I met in college sophomore year recognized my name in a pile of resumes. 2) STUDY ABROAD. My biggest regret is not going overseas for a year. I did a short program in Italy right after I graduated, but it's not the same. I know sharkohol studied in Sweden and had a great time. You youngsters will never have the opportunity to go abroad and not have a care in the world again. Think about it people!!!

Old
12-06-2011, 12:03 AM
Kitten Mittons

Yeah, unfortunately most of school is straight up ********.

Old
12-06-2011, 12:06 AM
Sharkway Drive
****ing All Star!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksohnoes! View Post
I value my education. I studied at San Francisco State from 2004 to 2009. Started out in the music engineering department, then into the political science department and finally landed in the journalism department where I got my degree in photojournalism. I had a great time in college. I really busted my ass at the end, and it was totally worth it. College is really what you make it. And in this job market, it would look really bad to not have a degree listed.

I also started to pursue my masters degree in photography at the academy of art university in 2010. After a year and a half I realized I had paid around $20k and hadn't learned a thing. Cut my losses at withdrew from the program at the end of summer.

My two biggest advice points about college: 1) NETWORK. This is so important. I've gotten some sweet jobs because someone I met in college sophomore year recognized my name in a pile of resumes. 2) STUDY ABROAD. My biggest regret is not going overseas for a year. I did a short program in Italy right after I graduated, but it's not the same. I know sharkohol studied in Sweden and had a great time. You youngsters will never have the opportunity to go abroad and not have a care in the world again. Think about it people!!!
Whoo Sf State grad! I'll be right there with you in two weeks! and we use the same camera! We are awesome.

Old
12-06-2011, 12:06 AM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

I think the only positive for college for me was the PAL program. For anyone interested in that you basically get assigned with a foreign exchange buddy and you help them practice conversation. You meet a lot of neat people from other parts of the world and, frankly, it seems like a lot of foreign students are a lot more gracious with the time you spend helping them.

I have no once met a rude foreign exchange person through PAL, or just in general which is more than I can say for a few people I have had the displeasure of meeting in my classes.

I'd recommend anyone to look into the PAL program, as you also get school credit just for meeting people and talking with them. It's been more enlightening than any other structured class that I've taken, I have actually started to hang out in the international student lounge because the people are so much more friendly.

Old
12-06-2011, 12:07 AM
Mafoofoo
Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksohnoes! View Post
And in this job market, it would look really bad to not have a degree listed.
Oh yeah for sure. My current intern job pays me like $16/hour. With a college degree I'll be moved to "full time employee" and I'll be bumped up to something like the equivalent of 65 and hour. For the same exact work I'm doing right now.

Of course a PhD puts starting at like $100/hour but **** that. A PhD in Aerospace Engineering is the academic equivalent of suicide.

Old
12-06-2011, 12:16 AM
Kitten Mittons

Didn't Mike Moore major in Aerospace Engineering?

Old
12-06-2011, 12:23 AM
Mafoofoo
Hockey

Yeah he did. I was pretty jelly when I read "OH YEAH SO MIKE MOORE IS NOT ONLY AN AERO ENGINEER HE'S ALSO A PRO HOCKEY PLAYER"

It's like the Sharks yearbook was going "umad bro?" to me.

Old
12-06-2011, 02:52 AM
sharksohnoes!
yeahokayidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Oh yeah for sure. My current intern job pays me like $16/hour. With a college degree I'll be moved to "full time employee" and I'll be bumped up to something like the equivalent of 65 and hour. For the same exact work I'm doing right now.

Of course a PhD puts starting at like $100/hour but **** that. A PhD in Aerospace Engineering is the academic equivalent of suicide.
Ha I'm interning at a startup with a college degree right now and making a lousy hourly wage haha Hopefully they take me on as a staffer soon. Helllllllllo benefits.

Old
12-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Chairman Mallard
Sharks in 3

Quote:
Oh man engineering here as well. What kind are you doing? I'm doing "the totally not shrinking number of jobs in the field" Aerospace Engineering.
Mechanical. 8 am begins my day of torture.

I'll see you guys on the other side.

Old
12-06-2011, 03:33 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

Anyone here good with computers? My computer is royally screwed up and isn't finding any .exes or shortcuts that previously worked yesterday, so I am needing to system restore to yesterday to figure out what is wrong.

Only problem is that when I go into system restore I'm told:
"System Protection is turned off. To turn it back on so you can use system restore, see Turn System Restore on or off."

Does this mean that my computer doesn't have a restore point saved to yesterday? If so... Does this mean I'm ****ed?

I don't ever remember turning off system protection so I have no idea why it's not on, normally I would have no problem restoring my system to an older date but this is giving me problems.

My computer can't seem to find any file, and have to search for it manually and run as administrator in order to get onto anything. Bah, terrible thing to happen right when I finish my finals.

Edit: So I got system protection open and there are no restore points... -_-;; What do I do....?

Old
12-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Anyone here good with computers? My computer is royally screwed up and isn't finding any .exes or shortcuts that previously worked yesterday, so I am needing to system restore to yesterday to figure out what is wrong.

Only problem is that when I go into system restore I'm told:
"System Protection is turned off. To turn it back on so you can use system restore, see Turn System Restore on or off."

Does this mean that my computer doesn't have a restore point saved to yesterday? If so... Does this mean I'm ****ed?

I don't ever remember turning off system protection so I have no idea why it's not on, normally I would have no problem restoring my system to an older date but this is giving me problems.

My computer can't seem to find any file, and have to search for it manually and run as administrator in order to get onto anything. Bah, terrible thing to happen right when I finish my finals.

Edit: So I got system protection open and there are no restore points... -_-;; What do I do....?
Sorry to hear that man.

1. What OS do you have: Vista/7/XP?
2. Do you have multiple HDD's on the machine? If the non-boot HDD failed and the shortcut is there, it wont work.
3. If you view the properties of one of the non-working shortcuts and then try to use Windows Explorer to get there, can you find the file there?

12-06-2011, 04:38 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
1. What OS do you have: Vista/7/XP?
Vista, Shut up KM
Quote:
2. Do you have multiple HDD's on the machine? If the non-boot HDD failed and the shortcut is there, it wont work.
not that I'm aware of.
Quote:
3. If you view the properties of one of the non-working shortcuts and then try to use Windows Explorer to get there, can you find the file there?
Every single file on the computer (including firefox, or system32 files, basically anything) requires me to go to the source right click and run as an administrator in order to get it working.

It's going to probably require me to wipe my HD if I want to fix this problem because I have to reinstall windows I think. The only problem is all my disks that I used when installing my computer were lost in a move so I have no way to reformat my HD.

Which is why I just wanted to do a system restore to yesterday to avoid having to reformat. Unfortunately, somehow the restore protection was turned off and I have no past saved state that I can restore to...

Old
12-06-2011, 07:02 PM
magic school bus

If anyone listens to the Marek vs Wyshynski podcast.. Wysh read my email today (Michael from SJ). I thought it was very cool. Especially with the Lambert/Steigerwald thing today, I'd bet more people listen to todays than usual..

Old
12-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Vista, Shut up KM
not that I'm aware of.

Every single file on the computer (including firefox, or system32 files, basically anything) requires me to go to the source right click and run as an administrator in order to get it working.

It's going to probably require me to wipe my HD if I want to fix this problem because I have to reinstall windows I think. The only problem is all my disks that I used when installing my computer were lost in a move so I have no way to reformat my HD.

Which is why I just wanted to do a system restore to yesterday to avoid having to reformat. Unfortunately, somehow the restore protection was turned off and I have no past saved state that I can restore to...
That almost sounds like an old UAC (User Access Control) setting in Windows Vista. Not 100% sure though.

Try this link.

Old
12-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Spacemania
Murray says: Rawr!

Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
mmmm I missed having linguica. Can't find this stuff in the Yukon.

Old
12-06-2011, 11:46 PM
sjsharky

Gave blood for the first time today. Nearly passed out when I got up, and had to lay down for about 20 minutes before I could get up again.

Strange experience, giving blood. Maybe it was because it was high school kids, but almost everyone was not having a good reaction to it, from minor things as just feeling like crap to several kids puking, yet everyone who was in the room watching these things still went through with it. Either speaks to the power of peer pressure, or to genuine selflessness by this group

Old
12-07-2011, 12:06 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

squeeeeeee.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
13-14 Sharks CI Feed Tracker: 82 GP |29-39-14 (SJ-Opponent-Van/Nat'l)
www.bluejayshipsters.com We liked the Blue Jays before it was cool.
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
12-07-2011, 12:35 AM
Mafoofoo
Hockey

Video Games why must you be so awesome. I'd like to have money in my wallet but you keep making me spend it.

Old
12-07-2011, 12:39 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
Video Games why must you be so awesome. I'd like to have money in my wallet but you keep making me spend it.
/signed

Closed Thread