HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Boycott The OSHL For The Sake Of The NHL!!

Closed Thread

Old
09-15-2004, 11:59 PM
Licentia

vCash: 500
Boycott The OSHL For The Sake Of The NHL!!

Anyone who wants to help the NHL get a season going - especially those who support the owners in the lockout - should avoid the OSHL at all costs. The OSHL is an opportunity for the players to attempt to "punish" the NHL for not caving in and keeping the current CBA. Support the NHL, not the greedy players who are content to play for less money in another league, rather than play for less money in the NHL.

Old
09-16-2004, 12:14 AM
Shappa

.... And while we're at it let's start an internet petition saying that fans are fed up with this whole thing.... Sounds like a good idea, but it'll never happen. Let's face it, I want to watch hockey, and so do millions out there. The players can get away with this because the bottom line is, people will watch.

*edit* another thing, I'm fairly certain they're not doing this for the money in the OSHL, but rather the chance to stay in shape should they be playing in January.

Old
09-16-2004, 12:34 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shappa
.... And while we're at it let's start an internet petition saying that fans are fed up with this whole thing.... Sounds like a good idea, but it'll never happen. Let's face it, I want to watch hockey, and so do millions out there. The players can get away with this because the bottom line is, people will watch.

*edit* another thing, I'm fairly certain they're not doing this for the money in the OSHL, but rather the chance to stay in shape should they be playing in January.

Oh it's a nice little cash grab for the NHLPA. However, the people who are currently unemployed like vendors and ushers will appreciate it, so I can't be totally against it.

Old
09-16-2004, 12:54 AM
Licentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94
Oh it's a nice little cash grab for the NHLPA. However, the people who are currently unemployed like vendors and ushers will appreciate it, so I can't be totally against it.
Do they really only plan to play one season? if you go to their website: http://www.oshl.ca/ you will find a link at the bottom called "Careers." Wow, how can anyone have a "career" with a league that may only last a month? Maybe it's nothing, but they could have wrote "employment" or something else, like i've seen at other websites.

http://detroitgladiators.com/ shows "Job Opportunities" and that team's a part of a league that intends to stay around forever.

Last edited by Licentia: 09-16-2004 at 12:58 AM.
Old
09-16-2004, 06:48 AM
aj

The players aren't making much money in the OSHL, and I know some of them have already said that they'll be giving it to charity.

Won't supporting other hockey leagues show the NHL/NHLPA that we want to watch hockey, and we'll watch it wherever and whenever we can get it? If they're too stubborn to come to an agreement, we'll get our hockey fix elsewhere. It's their loss as much (if not more) than it is ours.

I say go out and support other leagues, whether that means the AHL, ECHL, CHL, OSHL, Juniors, College/University hockey, Women's leagues, whatever. Send the message that we want to watch hockey, and if the NHL isn't prepared to give it to us, we'll support those who do.

Old
09-16-2004, 06:58 AM
Pie Man
A-Pie

Im on the owners side, I think NHL players are making way too much money nowdays. I remember when I start to following NHL hockey, players that made 5+ millions was the big, big star and there are only one or two that made that kind of moneys. Noways 5 millions seem like an standard salary for NHLer. I know that time have changed and this is no longer 1995, but still NHLer are making too much moneys!!! It is ridicolous that a player like Holik or Domi are making the kind of moneys they make!

Old
09-16-2004, 06:59 AM
Disco Volante

penalties being taken as penalty shots with chasers

Could be nice.

Old
09-16-2004, 07:01 AM
H/H

Yeah, it's all those evil players' fault, I feel so sorry for those poor, poor owners who can't even afford a cheese burger at Burger King anymore.

Seriously, people, shades of grey. Please.

Old
09-16-2004, 10:55 AM
joepeps

Right!!!

The NHL is a bunch of liars...

They say there losing money, but they wont open thier books to show it...

So lets say for arguments sake they are losing money!

Point 1). Why do they have those teams there? Get ride of them.. it only makes sense.

Point 2). Stop over-paying your players... i'm pretty sure Holik at 8 mil could have been Holik at 4-5 mil. etc).

NHL wants a cap on players? and no Lux. Tax becuase it's fluctuates?

THe NHLPA offered a 50 mil cap per team...

I don't see whats wrong with that and a lux. tax....

I understand that NHL wants thier **** done there way.. but they only Side that is acutally trying here is the Players Union...

It's rediculus... if no one wants to budge.. whats the point of even talking????

Close the League down.. they are just wasting time.... they had over a year to descuss this, and they waited until the last minute to start talking, and then they meet 2-3-4 times and thats it.... Thats ********. Overhaul the League throw them all on their *****!!!

THAT MY 2 CENTS

Old
09-16-2004, 11:13 AM
skariya18

Do you really think we're gonna miss seeing Wade Belak back in a Toronto uni?

You've gotta be kidding...GO OSHL!!!

Old
09-16-2004, 11:37 AM
eye

$45 a seat to go see 4 on 4 scrimmages. I thought it was going to be like $10 max. You can go see NHL practices for free so why support a league that would only serve to prolong the strike. I'd be suprised if they get more than 200 people to buy tickets to games which wont even cover the costs of insurance, refs and ice rental.

Old
09-16-2004, 11:46 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licentia
keeping the current CBA.
The current CBA has a salary cap, 5% rollback in salaries and revenue sharing?

Wrong answer.

Old
09-16-2004, 11:47 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 9-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skariya18
Do you really think we're gonna miss seeing Wade Belak back in a Toronto uni?

You've gotta be kidding...GO OSHL!!!
Belak is playing in the OSHL.

Old
09-16-2004, 11:55 AM
User571

Send a message via AIM to User571
The website says that Miikka Kiprusoff and Luongo will be playing, but havnt been drafted yet. Between this and the prospect stocked AHL, I'll have no problem with a lockout, but the owners may be kind of screwed right now.

Old
09-16-2004, 12:25 PM
skariya18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224
Belak is playing in the OSHL.
That's what I said it...he's playing for the Toronto team in the OSHL...Belak + Toronto = good stuff.

Old
09-16-2004, 12:35 PM
fan mao rong

10 years ago, the players' barnstorming tours were lightly attended. And that's with 10 years younger Gretzky, Messier, and the like. Regardless of what people on here say, Star players by themselves have little appeal, outside of a format that can illustrate them and relevant comparisons to others of their stature. And most of the public is of interest in following teams they are used to following.

Old
09-18-2004, 02:59 AM
Licentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepeps
The NHL is a bunch of liars...

They say there losing money, but they wont open thier books to show it...
The NHL has said repeatedly - in the last two days - that they have welcomed the players to look at the finances for well over a year or more, yet the players association refuses to look at the books.

Old
09-18-2004, 03:01 AM
Licentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye
$45 a seat to go see 4 on 4 scrimmages. I thought it was going to be like $10 max. You can go see NHL practices for free so why support a league that would only serve to prolong the strike. I'd be suprised if they get more than 200 people to buy tickets to games which wont even cover the costs of insurance, refs and ice rental.
First game they played just over 2000 attended, in a 4500 seat stadium. Most people complained it as a rip, from what I read.

Old
09-18-2004, 03:02 AM
Licentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
The current CBA has a salary cap, 5% rollback in salaries and revenue sharing?

Wrong answer.
Oh, sorry. The OSHL is an attempt to punish the NHL for not accepting the NHLPA's offer, which both the NHL and NHLPA know will not prevent the further increase of player salaries.

Last edited by Licentia: 09-18-2004 at 03:09 AM.
Old
09-18-2004, 03:05 AM
Licentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan mao rong
10 years ago, the players' barnstorming tours were lightly attended. And that's with 10 years younger Gretzky, Messier, and the like. Regardless of what people on here say, Star players by themselves have little appeal, outside of a format that can illustrate them and relevant comparisons to others of their stature. And most of the public is of interest in following teams they are used to following.
Exactly. I root for the Montreal Canadiens, the team. I don't care who they have playing for them as long as they win more often than they lose. This OSHL league offers no reason to get behind one team and not behind another.

Old
09-18-2004, 03:39 AM
OlliMackBjugStud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licentia
Oh, sorry. The OSHL is an attempt to punish the NHL for not accepting the NHLPA's offer, which both the NHL and NHLPA know will not prevent the further increase of player salaries.
you all act like the owners shouldnt bear the responsibilty of running their business. the players have given back over 200m in concessions, what have the owners given in these negotiations ?

dr

Old
09-18-2004, 01:45 PM
chriss_co

Quote:
Originally Posted by DementedReality
you all act like the owners shouldnt bear the responsibilty of running their business. the players have given back over 200m in concessions, what have the owners given in these negotiations ?

dr

The owners can't give anything because if they do other than their current proposals, you will have teams folding.

The $200 million concession is for 1 year. The luxory tax is nothing. It isn't strict and it doesn't prevent teams from overspending. Are you going to have continual 5% rollbacks every 3 years? Cuz thats what its going to take or more. The system the players proposed does not control salaries for a long period of time. Let's get a system that will be healthy for many many years. Not just for one year.

Old
09-18-2004, 04:38 PM
Licentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss_co
The owners can't give anything because if they do other than their current proposals, you will have teams folding.

The $200 million concession is for 1 year. The luxory tax is nothing. It isn't strict and it doesn't prevent teams from overspending. Are you going to have continual 5% rollbacks every 3 years? Cuz thats what its going to take or more. The system the players proposed does not control salaries for a long period of time. Let's get a system that will be healthy for many many years. Not just for one year.
What was it? $0.20 tax on each dollar over $50 million? a one time 5% rollback on salaries? That's supposed to fix the financial problems in the NHL? The players are only holding out because they think the owners will give in - and if the owners do give in - the NHLPA knows that salaries will start going up again.

Old
09-19-2004, 05:45 PM
Leafer4Life
Go Leafs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Leafer4Life Send a message via Yahoo to Leafer4Life
I myself, am definitely not going to an OSHL game! The OSHL is NOTHING like the NHL, and I just can't get enthusiastic about it! I'd rather spend money out to go see my hometown OHL Team(Owen Sound Attack).

Closed Thread