HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Re-signing Josh Gorges (All Gorges contract talk here)

Old
11-27-2011, 11:08 AM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

vCash: 500
Re-signing Josh Gorges (All Gorges contract talk here)

Instead of discussing it in the thread from this past summer, let's keep the discussion to this new thread.

Thanks

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 11:10 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Instead of discussing it in the thread from this past summer, let's keep the discussion to this new thread.

Thanks
Thanks Habs18.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...urt_canadiens/

Quote:
He has $38 million committed to only 10 players for the 2012-13 NHL season. If the cap remains the same, he will have $26 million available for at least 10 players.

Filling in the gaps doesn’t seem like an insurmountable task until you consider that the list of restricted free agents includes goaltender Carey Price and defenceman P. K. Subban, and the only defencemen signed beyond this coming season are Andrei Markov and Yannick Weber.

The Canadiens also have Alexei Yemelin and Lars Eller coming off entry-level deals, and they could be in line for raises if they play well.

That $3 million a season for Gorges might still fit into the Canadiens’ budget, but the gamble for Gorges and the Canadiens is based on his performance. He’s looking for a big — and healthy — season to justify his request for a long-term deal.

The potential problem for the Canadiens is that Gorges plays well enough that another team makes him an offer he can’t refuse, no matter how much he loves Montreal.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-a

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 11:14 AM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

I'd give Gorges whatever he wants. Aside from Price, he's the #1 reason we are doing ANYTHING this year. He's stepped up huge.

Hawkguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 11:19 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I'd give Gorges whatever he wants. Aside from Price, he's the #1 reason we are doing ANYTHING this year. He's stepped up huge.
Can we afford too?

I mean Price and Subban due for big RAISES next year.......

Habs got near 40 million into only 10 players,and need to sign Price, Subban, Eller, AE, and then ice the rest of a team ....

I dunno , it's goona be hard IMHO to give him(Josh) what he wants.....Especially now as he's putting up points .

This is why i'm nervous on him in a Habs jersey next year.

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Sakus Yo Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Can we afford too?

Subban's not going to get Tyler Myers money just yet. He had a solid rookie year, and has been mediocre thus far. We'll be able to get him on a 2 year deal similar to what we did with Price.

Sakus Yo Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 11:54 AM
merlin

watch for the Gomez contract to come off the books next year, that will free much needed space. I don't see him bought out as that would still use some space for the next 4 years but a Redden / Souray type of situation is probable. I we get lucky a team might pick him up although that is a very longshot.

Last edited by merlin: 11-27-2011 at 11:57 AM. Reason: forgot to add a sentence....
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 11:54 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakus Yo Daddy View Post
Subban's not going to get Tyler Myers money just yet. He had a solid rookie year, and has been mediocre thus far. We'll be able to get him on a 2 year deal similar to what we did with Price.
I totally agree with this. Don't see Subban costing us much next off-season.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 11:58 AM
AraGOHABSGO

Quote:
Can we afford too?

Habs got near 40 million into only 10 players,and need to sign Price, Subban, Eller, AE, and then ice the rest of a team ....

I dunno , it's goona be hard IMHO to give him(Josh) what he wants.....Especially now as he's putting up points .

Dont forget AK...

I am sorry but he is the 3rd best winger on the team right now behind Cole and Pacthes in term of effictveness and production.

AraGOHABSGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

Huuuuuuuuuuuuuge Gorges fan here.
How about $15mil for 5 seasons? Fair?

Our MVPs this year (also consistent):
Price, Gorges, Subban, Plekanec, Moen, Pacioretty, Cole picking it up lately, etc...

I hope Gorges' agent doesn't get too greedy but in the end it's up to Gorges.

I really hope he will be signed to a long-term contract (4 yrs+).
I still can't beleive they didn't give him at least 3 years last summer (Gorges...takes a slapshot to the head, comes back the next game and continues playing like a true warrior...).

Order of priority (imo):
1.Price
2. Subban or Gorges (warrior in regular season and playoffs)
3. Gorges or Subban
4. Moen (1 or 2 more years...shouldn't be too expensive especially compared to A.Kosts)
5. A.Kosts (too expensive...might be the odd man out so as to keep Gorges+Moen and I'm 110% fine with that...A.Kosts will ask for a minimum of $4,5mil/year or 5mil/year...**** that, imo).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 11-27-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:31 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
I am the Captain of the Gorges Fan Club here and yes, Gauthier should definitely sign him to an extension. 10 points and a +10 in 24 games? Better than I would have ever expected, especially on the offensive side.

Old
11-27-2011, 12:40 PM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

vCash: 50
The way both have been playing, I'd say Gorges and Subban get the same kind of money.
I'd love 4 years @ 4 mill for Gorges and 2 years @ 4 mill for Subban. May be a pipe dream though.

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Teufelsdreck

I can't see the Habs offering more than $4M and they may stop at $3.5M or $3.75M. There's a tendency here to overrate Gorges. Remember, the Habs came within a eyelash of eliminating the Bruins despite his (and Markov's) absence.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 01:06 PM
MasterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakus Yo Daddy View Post
Come on, lay off the pipe, Subban is playing 24 minutes a night on a defensive corps that counts 3 green rookies and aged-slowed-up Gill... he's not playing like last year, but he doesn't have Hamrlik and the Wiz next to him either!

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 01:13 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by AraGOHABSGO View Post
Dont forget AK...

I am sorry but he is the 3rd best winger on the team right now behind Cole and Pacthes in term of effictveness and production.
I dont see AK back next year. I think while he has towed JMs line alot better than some of our other younger guys who have since been sent away, I dont think hes thrilled to be here. Im guessing he believes if he wasnt in a system like JMs and that if he wasnt essentially locked into the 3rd line this year that hed be a 30 plus goal guy. Peering into the future AK will see that he likely will continue being a 3rd liner and his coach will continue to be JM, so I think hell sign elsewhere where hell have a chance to be top 6 and play in a system that isnt as rigid so he can opewn up offensively.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 01:52 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Unless he re-injures his knee, it will cost a hell of a lot more to sign Gorges this summer than it would have last summer, especially if Gauthier is still running the show.

Gorges was hurt by the contract offers this past summer, especially after seeing the Habs sign Markov, who was coming from three serious injuries including two similar knee surgeries to his own, get signed to a lucrative three year deal.

He has too much class to say anything publicly but don't be surprised if he listens to offers this summer and if he does, that's not a good sign for the Habs.

They could have signed him at fair market value this summer, they'll have to overpay next summer. Poor asset management.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 02:01 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Unless he re-injures his knee, it will cost a hell of a lot more to sign Gorges this summer than it would have last summer, especially if Gauthier is still running the show.
Why would it be cheaper for another GM?

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 02:10 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Why would it be cheaper for another GM?
Did I say that?

Gorges was offended by Gauthier's refusal to offer him a long term deal after signing Markov to one. That I've said.

Also, when a player listens to offers on the UFA market, there is a bidding war amongst teams. Someone will be willing to overpay. That's what I'm saying.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 05:31 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Can we afford too?

Then send Gomez to the minors and use that cap space for Gorges (and whatever else). I'd offer Gorges 6-years/$21M. Well I'd offer a bit less and hope it settles at that.

Yeah, eating up that money sucks, but if other teams like Chicago can do it, so can we.

Hawkguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Did I say that?
Yes.

Quote:
Gorges was offended by Gauthier's refusal to offer him a long term deal after signing Markov to one. That I've said.
I'm going to assume Gorges is more mature than that. It is completely understandable for a team to wait and see, when dealing with a player recovering from a major surgery. If Gorges likes the city and likes playing for the Habs (being Subban's partner is a pretty good situation), I don't see why he wouldn't sign a competitive offer.

Even if he was "offended by Gauthier," which I doubt, he doesn't have to deal with him on a day to day basis.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 05:50 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:

Gorges was hurt by the contract offers this past summer, especially after seeing the Habs sign Markov, who was coming from three serious injuries including two similar knee surgeries to his own, get signed to a lucrative three year deal.

He has too much class to say anything publicly but don't be surprised if he listens to offers this summer and if he does, that's not a good sign for the Habs.

They could have signed him at fair market value this summer, they'll have to overpay next summer. Poor asset management.
Pretty sure Gorges was coming off a very serious injury and surgery, and I seem to remember most fans being wary of both Gorges and Markov's health. How can you justify blaming PG when he showed caution towards Gorges (who is a lesser player than Markov) and in contrast, desperate to keep Markov (who was possibly the best defenseman at risk of being UFA). Would you have done something differently considering the risk of both players return of hockey and would you have chosen to give both Gorges and Markov long term commitment or pick Gorges over Markov? Those are some tough pills to swallow and I'm willing to bet even Pierre Gauthier himself lost a lot of sleep over.

I agree with what he did. This team will live or die with Markov. They can replace a player of Josh Gorges caliber, but I hope it doesn't come to that.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 05:51 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

I don't see Gorges asking for the world, 4 years 16 million is about what I see going down.

Although I could see a bit longer deal with a bit less per year

Think, 6 years 21 million.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 06:47 PM
Jesse Pinkman

7 years/22 millions and offer him captain role, do it Pierre!

Jesse Pinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 06:58 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:

always poor asset issues with this team

make up your mind PG , give him a number on a 3-4 years deal

if he doesnt lke it , move him at the deadline or sooner

i like him but not at 4 mil ? sorry folks he is a decent player , but lets not overate
our players all the time ...14 over 4 is more than fair for a stay at home who gives you no offense at all ..

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 08:28 PM
AcadiaAxeMan

Send a message via MSN to AcadiaAxeMan Send a message via Yahoo to AcadiaAxeMan
A MUST sign for the HABS

...the quicker, the better - I would go 8 year for $30 million! He will be our captain when the BIG 3 busts (Cammy, Gionta, Gomez) depart (in 2 years)! He will anchor the "next" generation that WE have been waiting for, Price-Subban-Eller-Pacioretty-Leblanc-Beaulieu-Tinordi-Gallagher-Diaz/Weber-combined with AK/Plecks/Cole.

Get 'er done!! Quick!

AcadiaAxeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 08:39 PM
hockeyfan2k11

So people complain about the Gionta, Gomez, Cam, Gill, Hamr, Markov contracts but want to give Gorges $4M long term?

If he wants 4, I tell him to go elsewhere. Gorges should get $2.7-3.3M. If he wants 4, he needs to contribute a hell of a lot more offensively.

hockeyfan2k11 is online now   Reply With Quote