HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Gm #26 Kings v. Canadiens, 12/3/11 - Post Game LOSS, Thoughts & Tidbits

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
I'm 99% sure Quick makes that save though.
Hmm, I dunno about 99%. It's more like 93.6%.

Old
12-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
Hmm, I dunno about 99%. It's more like 93.6%.
I see what you did there!

Old
12-04-2011, 06:19 PM
SMoneyMonkey

Bernier makes that save too if he wasn't rusty. He played amazingly, wouldn't be surprised if we'd have won if Murray wasn't playing the goalies just enough so that one is rusty while the other will be exhausted by playoffs. He's played 5 games.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:52 AM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMoneyMonkey View Post
Bernier makes that save too if he wasn't rusty. He played amazingly, wouldn't be surprised if we'd have won if Murray wasn't playing the goalies just enough so that one is rusty while the other will be exhausted by playoffs. He's played 5 games.
I can get on board with this. I've only seen two FULL games he's played in this season, but in both, he's been a bit shaky early followed by nearly impossible to score on in the later frames.

Quick is having a monster year, so I can understand the desire to ride him, but Bernier can't get into a rhythm...it's tough, but it's bad goalie management.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMoneyMonkey View Post
I hate to say it, but for Bernier to get noticed, he almost needs to play perfect hockey. If that means getting a shutout or 2 in a row, so be it.

With the Kings not scoring a lot of goals (quite the understatement I know), goalie play is amplified even more

Is this fair to Bernier? Probably not - but he has to make TM's goalie choice a difficult one. So far, it's an easy choice to ride Quick for all he's got.

Quick on his game and they probably win Saturday.

Old
12-05-2011, 10:41 AM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

I know I missed this one outright due to manning a Salvation Army kettle...but I was making cracks around the time the first period started on what would happen first...hell freezing over or Penner scoring a goal...

Well...at least Penner won that contest...even though I wasn't so sure by the time my shift ended...

Old
12-05-2011, 11:11 AM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
I think that we need to see a difference between embellishment and diving. IMO, Williams did clearly hit Subban from behind and into the boards when Subban wasn't very far away from the boards. Subban did play up the crumple - he embellished it to make it look more severe than it was, but it was still boarding.

My definition of diving involves more - going down like you were shot if someone touches your legs with their stick, spinning like a top because you were touched in the midsection, or acting like your eye was carved out of your face by a high stick that didn't even touch you
This is why I consider Subban's play embellishment, not diving

The ref gave the offensive player a PK for this "foul". In a case of karma justice, the goalkeeper stopped the PK, cleared the ball downfield and the orange team scored a goal within 25 seconds

Old
12-05-2011, 11:46 AM
SMoneyMonkey

Quote:
I hate to say it, but for Bernier to get noticed, he almost needs to play perfect hockey. If that means getting a shutout or 2 in a row, so be it.

With the Kings not scoring a lot of goals (quite the understatement I know), goalie play is amplified even more

Is this fair to Bernier? Probably not - but he has to make TM's goalie choice a difficult one. So far, it's an easy choice to ride Quick for all he's got.

In the same way Bernier on his game may have won many of the games Quick lost. TM's goalie management has been atrocious. TM has to be able to make the decision that if Quick has a bad game, Bernier may be the answer. Instead he pencils Bernier in every so often and if Quick plays well the game before, Bernier's name gets erased.

Under TM so far: Bernier is fully accountable for every game he plays. Quick is not.

As is we're looking at a rusty Bernier who will have low trade value and be unable to step right in during an emergency situation and a Quick who will be exhausted by the playoffs.

I think going forward with Quick in the future would be a great thing. I think he's an amazing goalie and top 5 in the league. I think you could argue he's top 1. That said Bernier has a ton of potential and though the chance he is better than Quick isn't large, the chance he is good enough to bring back assets in a trade is. As is, though, we're looking at a 4th round pick at most and a 1st round exit if even making the playoffs unless Quick gets more rest than he has so far.

TM can be accurately described as a coach who gets the absolute least out of what he has. Especially in this case.

Old
12-05-2011, 12:28 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
I'd rather look at it like "Offense on it's game and they win Saturday."

Quick might have made that one extra save, not disputing that, but for Bernier to play the way he did and lose, he was jobbed.

Old
12-05-2011, 12:30 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
This is why I consider Subban's play embellishment, not diving

The ref gave the offensive player a PK for this "foul". In a case of karma justice, the goalkeeper stopped the PK, cleared the ball downfield and the orange team scored a goal within 25 seconds
I know the NHl has diving, but not to the scale of soccer. I don't know why the sport allows itself to be such a joke in that department.

Old
12-05-2011, 12:37 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Last season, Quick appeared in 61 games and many thought he was tired down the stretch and in the playoffs. This season, he's on pace to just start, not appear in, but start 66 games. That number that could increase should Bernier be pulled from any of his starts and Quick have to fill in, or if Bernier gets hurt. With us just holding onto a playoff spot and scoring as often as a bald, overweight stripper, Quick will likely get even more action down the stretch. Especially considering TM knows if he misses the playoffs he can kiss his job good-bye.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Quick reach 70 games this year.

Old
12-06-2011, 11:32 PM
Vamos Rafa
ˇVamos!

We are mediocre. Scoring 2 goals a game and relying on defense isn't gonna cut it.

Old
12-06-2011, 11:34 PM
Scottkmlps

I'm so sick of this 2 or less goals bull****. This team has the offensive players to score more, yet that clueless idiot Murray can't figure out how to do that. Fire him now. Wake the **** up Lombardi.

Closed Thread