HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

McDonagh vs Subban

View Poll Results: Who would you rather have in your top four?
P.K. Subban 229 42.25%
Ryan McDonagh 313 57.75%
Voters: 542. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2012, 05:46 PM
habscup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
No, I'm just confident that McDonagh's defense is even better. I'm a fan of Subban. McDonagh is going to be one of the best defensive d-men in the league while still putting up 30-40 points without significant PP time. Subban's D is good. It's not on McD's level. That's not meant to discount Subban. McD is just that good.
Subban is great defensively. He is great playing against the big boys like Malkin, Giroux,etc. That's why they dont score as much against the habs when Subban is out there.

Old
03-30-2012, 09:14 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

Erik Cole just fell into the abyss that is Ryan McDonagh. He was never heard from again.

Old
03-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Subban made a good play tonight keeping up with Gaborik on that one play with Richards behind the net. However, McDonagh is still better.

Old
03-30-2012, 09:41 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftwin View Post
I'm really not sold on Subban. I really think he's going to follow a Phaneuf type of career progression.

He relies too much on his incredible athletic ability, and his skills, but he doesn't have any hockey sense or vision. Much like Phaneuf. That's why he hasn't progressed as much his season. He might become a bit better in the coming years, but you won't see any kind of massive breakout from him.
The part in bold made me laugh out loud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habscup View Post
You are underrating Subban's defense way too much, its incredible.
It a common theme in this thread it seems.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Levitate

From tonights games I have to say...on a better team with much better structure and support, Subban could be pretty awesome with the way he likes to carry the puck and makes things happen

But on a weaker team that isn't structured very well, he seems to be pushing it a bit and feels a little "trying to do it all". Not really surprising though, what does he have to lose at this point by trying to play that way?

Love how he moves with the puck. Simple answer is that i'd love to have both guys on my team, but I'm really happy with McDonagh as it is. He fits the Rangers system great and looks like he's going to develop into a fantastic "two way" defenseman who can legit shut down other teams top players while providing a good amount of offense. Can't be unhappy with that

Old
03-31-2012, 03:53 AM
Boyle Knows Santa

Not judging him as a player since I don't watch enough of him, but from tonight's game it appears that Subban tries too hard offensively. He tried to make the complex play instead of a simple pass. He was all about spin moves, which would usually fail, instead of making the smarter, simpler decision.

Old
03-31-2012, 11:20 AM
Clipitar

For the Rangers fans, I wouldn't put too much stock into last night's performance. I have rarely seen the team so uninspired, skating around without any structure. I like the guy, but this has to be on Cunneyworth who really doesn't seem to have any system in place. I was feeling bad for Price who still needed to do flips on his head in a loosing cause.

Worst game by PK in at least a month, and he still was our "least worst" defender, maybe because he's one among very few who still care about the team. This season couldn't end soon enough.

Having said all that, I have to give credit where it's due. I can't mute how good the Rangers look as a team. The exact opposite, where structure, hard work and grit prevail. Definitely the most well-rounded NYR team I have seen in previous years, but especially this year (which bodes well for the postseason).

Old
03-31-2012, 11:27 AM
SirPaste

McDonagh because he fits a need for my team

Old
03-31-2012, 11:27 AM
nyrfan1026

I do agree with the poster that stated that Subban tries too hard to get things going offensively for MTL. Its not necessarily a bad thing, but it stands out when his teammates are having this bad of season/don't really care and are playing seriously uninspired hockey.

That said, I'll take McDonagh. He fits a major need for this team. And as he gets older he'll start to find his offensive game. I'll repeat what I've been saying for the past few weeks, I'm thinking he can be the best player on our team as soon as next year.

Thats no slight to PK at all, he's going to be a real good player moving forward. Love him, Maxpac and Price. I'll be rooting for the Habs to be back in the playoffs next year for sure.

The reason we'll probably see Mac win this thread is because he's having a breakout season on the best team in hockey, whereas PK is playing on one of, if not the worst team in hockey. Plus, for whatever reason, people love to **** on the Habs around these parts. Combine that with the "what have you done for me lately" mentality of HFBoards. Either way, Habs fans shouldn't really care. PK is a really good player, and the Habs should be a much better team maybe as soon as next season, if/when/once they can find a GM and coach who can put this team in the right direction and create an identity.

Anyway, McD and PK aren't really comparable players. PK is just like a jacked up, more talented and physical version of Del Zotto. And I don't mean that as an insult to Habs fans.

Last edited by nyrfan1026: 03-31-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old
03-31-2012, 01:16 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Can't go wrong with either one but I would be majorly pissed at Gainey if I was a Habs' fan.

Old
03-31-2012, 01:59 PM
bizzz*

McDonagh is a better player overall, he's close to be a "complete package". Subban is more fan to watch.

Old
03-31-2012, 02:24 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizoncol View Post
McDonagh is a better player overall, he's close to be a "complete package". Subban is more fan to watch.
McDonagh is not the best player overall, let's make that clear. And Subban is closer to the complete package than he is (n'either are right now), on top of being fun to watch. Subban's defense gets so underrated by rangers fans who don't watch him play, they think he's a Del Zotto, that says it all.

Old
03-31-2012, 02:51 PM
Squarp
Ranger for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
McDonagh is not the best player overall, let's make that clear. And Subban is closer to the complete package than he is (n'either are right now), on top of being fun to watch. Subban's defense gets so underrated by rangers fans who don't watch him play, they think he's a Del Zotto, that says it all.
O the irony

And McD is the better player overall.

Old
03-31-2012, 03:24 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToLinfinityAndBeyond View Post
O the irony

And McD is the better player overall.
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

ps. I don't think you know what irony means.

Old
03-31-2012, 04:01 PM
Squarp
Ranger for Life

Quote:
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

ps. I don't think you know what irony means.
You say Ranger fans underrate Subban's defense and then compare him to DZ's defense as if DZ plays bad defense so you basically just lost all credibility.

Old
03-31-2012, 04:16 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToLinfinityAndBeyond View Post
You say Ranger fans underrate Subban's defense and then compare him to DZ's defense as if DZ plays bad defense so you basically just lost all credibility.
Oh look, now Del Zotto plays a similar defense as Subban. Just when you thought you heard it all. Cool 16th post.

Old
03-31-2012, 04:57 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

Quote:
Oh look, now Del Zotto plays a similar defense as Subban. Just when you thought you heard it all. Cool 16th post.
But Del Zotto's not poor defensively. That's just as bad as saying Subban is.

Old
03-31-2012, 04:59 PM
Squarp
Ranger for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
But Del Zotto's not poor defensively. That's just as bad as saying Subban is.
Exactly

Old
03-31-2012, 05:00 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
So our best defenseman is nowhere close to Subban. A top 4 defenseman on our team is not in the same universe defensively. I assume you like Price. So why does Montreal give up half a goal per game more than the Rangers?

Old
03-31-2012, 05:01 PM
Squarp
Ranger for Life

Quote:
Show me exactly where I said...

still looking...

can't find it, good, that's because i didn't write it.

All I said was that you are underrating Del Zotto just like, as you said, Ranger fans are underrating Subban.

Nice reading comprehension skills by the way.

Old
03-31-2012, 05:50 PM
habscup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
So our best defenseman is nowhere close to Subban. A top 4 defenseman on our team is not in the same universe defensively. I assume you like Price. So why does Montreal give up half a goal per game more than the Rangers?
Because the rangers as a team are playing much better than the habs?

Old
03-31-2012, 06:09 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
McDonagh quite easily.

Old
03-31-2012, 06:11 PM
habscup

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roffler View Post
McDonagh quite easily.
Definately, not even close.

Old
03-31-2012, 06:18 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
And I doubt you've seen McDonagh play much. Habs fan underrate McDonagh's offensive talent so much. It's like they're in denial that McD has 8 more ESP than Subban, but keep wanting to tell themselves that Subban is miles ahead offensively.

Edit: McDonagh is 6th in ESP wow, just looked up the stat. Imagine if he received gobs of ice time on the powerplay.....

Old
03-31-2012, 06:28 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by habscup View Post
Definately, not even close.
you can say that again.

Closed Thread