HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

McDonagh vs Subban

View Poll Results: Who would you rather have in your top four?
P.K. Subban 229 42.25%
Ryan McDonagh 313 57.75%
Voters: 542. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2012, 11:31 AM
poetryinmotion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipitar View Post
Yeah, as he responded above, it didn't really turn against him since people keep voting for the only player who's been playing and showing his skills for almost a month now. That's why keeping the thread bookmarked for the next time PK's on fire is the only thing Habs fans can resort to at this point.

However, I do agree with you that this guy's argumentation for why McD is superior is mediocre at best.
He doesn't realy have any, except "look at the votes" where McD is winning by a hair, And wra wra go Michigan. Most of the voting tooke place early season when Subban was perceived to be struggling too.

McD is being average at best in these playoffs, he's not doing anything out of the ordinary that you would expect for a shutdown defenseman. He was a minus in all but 3 games to boot. Meanwhile, Subban is playing for his country and the words.

I can't wait for the bumps that are about to come from that once his injury heals.

Old
05-01-2012, 11:34 AM
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
He doesn't realy have any, except "look at the votes" where McD is winning by a hair, And wra wra go Michigan. Most of the voting tooke place early season when Subban was perceived to be struggling too.

McD is being average at best in these playoffs, he's not doing anything out of the ordinary that you would expect for a shutdown defenseman. He was a minus in all but 3 games to boot. Meanwhile, Subban is playing for his country and the words.

I can't wait for the bumps that are about to come from that once his injury heals.
Pfft, don't get it twisted, McDonagh is NOT a Michigan native. He went to the same high school as MLB MVP Joe Mauer, Cretin.

And the voting is hardly a "hair." He has him pretty handily ATM.

Further, I just looked and the Montreal board here has 20K MORE threads than the New York board (about 45K to 24K) so that argument isn't plausible either. Clearly there are many more members here for/from Quebec.

We shall see down the road who has their first ring(s) - or more.

Old
05-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus svensson View Post
Very close but im gonna say Subban AINEC
haha, good one!

Old
05-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post
Pfft, don't get it twisted, McDonagh is NOT a Michigan native. He went to the same high school as MLB MVP Joe Mauer, Cretin.

And the voting is hardly a "hair." He has him pretty handily ATM.

Further, I just looked and the Montreal board here has 20K MORE threads than the New York board (about 45K to 24K) so that argument isn't plausible either. Clearly there are many more members here for/from Quebec.

We shall see down the road who has their first ring(s) - or more.
Please feel free to respond directly to me, and to my argument that only McD has been playing in the past month which, obviously, has an impact on the poll since the two players are really close. Last month, when Subban played his last game, it actually was "by a hair". Much more than it is right now.

McD is an upcoming young American stud. There are lots of American posters in these boards, as well as a lot of people who don't like the Habs or just Subban for that matter. This easily trumps the difference between numbers of NYR and Habs fans around here, which isn't as significant as you're making it to be anyway (number of threads doesn't directly imply huge majorities of unique active posters).

Old
05-01-2012, 11:51 AM
Clipitar

Quote:

I firmly disagree. He's a stud even if it hurts to admit. You have to look at things objectively once in a while. He's better than Subban defensively, and worse than max 10 or 15 D's in this league in his own zone. But this doesn't trump the fact Subban is more desirable because of a better all-around game and higher ceiling, at least in my opinion.

Old
05-01-2012, 11:58 AM
651*

Quote:
Please feel free to respond directly to me, and to my argument that only McD has been playing in the past month which, obviously, has an impact on the poll since the two players are really close. Last month, when Subban played his last game, it actually was "by a hair". Much more than it is right now.

McD is an upcoming young American stud. There are lots of American posters in these boards, as well as a lot of people who don't like the Habs – or just Subban for that matter. This easily trumps the difference between numbers of NYR and Habs fans around here, which isn't as significant as you're making it to be anyway (number of threads doesn't directly imply huge majorities of unique active posters).
I've pretty much already conceded that they are very comparable (check the first post I posted in this thread which I said in due time [several years, more like] we will see who has the more stellar career).

I just throw in a few little posts here and there because some of you get so bent out of shape it's quite comical. I think McDonagh will be a number one type of defenseman - a "quarterback, if you will. I've watched Subban, albeit sporadically. I think only time can officially settle this debate.

Keep the thread open. If your boy does some things then so be it, bump the thread. I just want the Wild to some day have McDonagh and Leddy (WTF did we let him go??!?!?!) on our backline representing us in the league. Surely they will both likely be on our Olympic team in '14, as will Big Buff and a number of others I will not name.

Old
05-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
I've pretty much already conceded that they are very comparable (check the first post I posted in this thread which I said in due time [several years, more like] we will see who has the more stellar career).

I just throw in a few little posts here and there because some of you get so bent out of shape it's quite comical. I think McDonagh will be a number one type of defenseman - a "quarterback, if you will. I've watched Subban, albeit sporadically. I think only time can officially settle this debate.

Keep the thread open. If your boy does some things then so be it, bump the thread. I just want the Wild to some day have McDonagh and Leddy (WTF did we let him go??!?!?!) on our backline representing us in the league. Surely they will both likely be on our Olympic team in '14, as will Big Buff and a number of others I will not name.
I guess you'd like Jake Gardiner as well. In the meantime, I think you could start by signing David Fischer for free!

Old
05-01-2012, 12:09 PM
651*

Quote:
I guess you'd like Jake Gardiner as well. In the meantime, I think you could start by signing David Fischer for free!

Gardiner
Paul Martin
Justin Falk
Erik Johnson

Sure, we'll take those six or seven for our backline.

Old
05-01-2012, 03:49 PM
Lebowski
In Price We Trust

Quote:
Gardiner
Paul Martin
Justin Falk
Erik Johnson

Sure, we'll take those six or seven for our backline.
That's not a good idea

Old
05-01-2012, 04:54 PM
chuck1984

And to think we had both and traded RM for S F'ing G

Old
05-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Kershaw

Quote:

You clearly aren't watching the Rangers. Case in point.

Old
05-01-2012, 08:25 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
You clearly aren't watching the Rangers. Case in point.
Is this the same playoffs where he's played 9 games has 1 assist and is a minus 3.
Ah yes please don't use stats,just watch him. That way you can keep arguring on how good he's been these playoffs.Stats mean nothing when they don't favour your player.Most have been watching the playoffs and McD has been average at best.
Not doing near of what most Ranger fans are claiming him to be.Not even close.

Old
05-01-2012, 08:32 PM
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
Is this the same playoffs where he's played 9 games has 1 assist and is a minus 3.
Ah yes please don't use stats,just watch him. That way you can keep arguring on how good he's been these playoffs.Stats mean nothing when they don't favour your player.Most have been watching the playoffs and McD has been average at best.
Not doing near of what most Ranger fans are claiming him to be.Not even close.
Average at best? Dude, this kid has been integral this post season for the Rangers, period. He is literally a rookie and he is out there every other shift, playing superb hockey. Even your own comrades admit to that in this page and thread.

Old
05-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Kershaw

Ahh yes, points and plus/minus ratings are best used to evaluate a shutdown defenseman. Who would've thought of that.

Old
05-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Ahh yes, points and plus/minus ratings are best used to evaluate a shutdown defenseman. Who would've thought of that.
The question is not who the best shutdown defenseman is, but who the best defenseman is. Subban is arguably as good in the shutdown role as McDonagh is, but he's better offensively and he's a better hitter.

Old
05-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
The question is not who the best shutdown defenseman is, but who the best defenseman is. Subban is arguably as good in the shutdown role as McDonagh is, but he's better offensively and he's a better hitter.
This is simply untrue. Pretty much GA/60, QUALCOMP, etc prove that. Subban is better at hitting and getting out of position.

Old
05-01-2012, 11:42 PM
Montreal Shadow

Quote:
This is simply untrue. Pretty much GA/60, QUALCOMP, etc prove that. Subban is better at hitting and getting out of position.
He's better offensively too. Don't forget about that. Makes things much closer.

Quote:
That would just prove Subban play for a weaker team than McDonagh. Of course being on the weakest team in the East will result in more goals against than being on the best team in the league.

Old
05-02-2012, 04:40 AM
mytor4*

Quote:
AH YES .Lets not use any stats what so ever so that way some can keep making foolish claims on how good their players are without having any foundation to back it up .Backup plan.If i can't prove my point i can always go to that You clearly aren't watching the Rangers. Case in point.

Old
05-02-2012, 06:25 AM
Nicko999

vCash: 2100
Quote:
Subban creates more offence than McDo (97gf vs 83gf) and gives just as many goals as McDo as well (74ga vs 72ga) and they both have the same ice time...

Old
05-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Lebowski
In Price We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Subban creates more offence than McDo (97gf vs 83gf) and gives just as many goals as McDo as well (74ga vs 72ga) and they both have the same ice time...
And one of these players was on the 27th worst team in the league while the other was competing for the president trophy.

But that doesn't mean anything! We obviously do not watch enough games to understand the greatness of Ryan McDonagh!

No but sincerely, it's a shame it has come to that. I feel like some Rags fans laughably over hype McDonagh, which translate into Subban over hyping from Habs fans etc etc...

I mean, saying McDonagh is one of the best shut-down player in the league is really pushing it too far. I still take Subban miles ahead of him as of right now. I simply believe he has a more well rounded game and a much higher ceiling. Time will tell though. I could be completely wrong on that one, but I feel like McDonagh is getting the same kind of love that Kreider received/is receiving right now.

Or the good ole' Petr Prucha > Crosby thread on the Rags board in 05 .

Old
05-02-2012, 05:08 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix60 View Post
And one of these players was on the 27th worst team in the league while the other was competing for the president trophy.

But that doesn't mean anything! We obviously do not watch enough games to understand the greatness of Ryan McDonagh!

No but sincerely, it's a shame it has come to that. I feel like some Rags fans laughably over hype McDonagh, which translate into Subban over hyping from Habs fans etc etc...

I mean, saying McDonagh is one of the best shut-down player in the league is really pushing it too far. I still take Subban miles ahead of him as of right now. I simply believe he has a more well rounded game and a much higher ceiling. Time will tell though. I could be completely wrong on that one, but I feel like McDonagh is getting the same kind of love that Kreider received/is receiving right now.

Or the good ole' Petr Prucha > Crosby thread on the Rags board in 05 .
Well said. And if we factor in playoffs / Subban playing even better in big games. I'd say its nec.

Old
05-02-2012, 06:59 PM
ak90210

Subban is better on d than he is on o.

Old
05-02-2012, 07:04 PM
ak90210

Quote:
If you think that Subban is regularly going out and looking for big hits you're just showing that you have no idea what you're talking about. Subban's strength is his defensive game and even though he does throw big hits every once in a while when his opponents put themselves in a vulnerable position he isn't overly physical/looking for hits on a regular basis. This is a classic example of good player on good team (overachieving team) has breakout year suddenly is better than clearly superior player who has rough start to year and plays on an average team that greatly underachieved.

Old
05-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
You can try to invent all the stats that you want, but the ones that count, Subban is ahead in all offensive and physical departments and he's very close defensively.

Old
05-02-2012, 09:35 PM
651*

I swear McDonagh doesn't come off the ice. They have him out there nonstop tonight.

Closed Thread