HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

2012-13 Realignment

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-03-2011, 11:35 PM
  #1
Wham City
Registered User
 
Wham City's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Whistler
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,312
vCash: 500
2012-13 Realignment

So this is the latest rumoured grouping per Elliotte Friedman tonight...


I'm all for going to four divisions and divisional playoffs. But if that means a first-round series with Florida and a second round with Tampa...meh. Just can't get excited about that.

Of course if Phoenix moves to Quebec City this plan will be foiled.

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 11:38 PM
  #2
porknbeans
Registered User
 
porknbeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filips Tuba View Post
So this is the latest rumoured grouping per Elliotte Friedman tonight...


I'm all for going to four divisions and divisional playoffs. But if that means a first-round series with Florida and a second round with Tampa...meh. Just can't get excited about that.

Of course if Phoenix moves to Quebec City this plan will be foiled.
I noticed that there are 2 8 team "west divisions"

are they doing away with teh whole east west thing?

porknbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 11:40 PM
  #3
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it
 
WasTeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: in your head
Country: Equatorial Guinea
Posts: 14,236
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeans View Post
I noticed that there are 2 8 team "west divisions"

are they doing away with teh whole east west thing?
Yea. The idea is to have 4 different conferences and no divisions.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 11:41 PM
  #4
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,032
vCash: 500
Choices are interesting.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 11:43 PM
  #5
Shanny
Coming In Hot
 
Shanny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bytown
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,988
vCash: 500
I don't wanna jinx it, but all signs in Phoenix are pointing towards Quebec City right now.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 11:47 PM
  #6
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!
 
Fenix Rises 2026's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,028
vCash: 500
Don't really get the 8 vs. 7 divisions. How do they seed the playoffs?

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 11:53 PM
  #7
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan
 
saskriders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,115
vCash: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblad the Impaler View Post
Don't really get the 8 vs. 7 divisions. How do they seed the playoffs?
1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 in each division, then the winners of that round play, then they will most likely reseed the division championships, but might have a conference final.

Here is an example of the system (it used to be used (without the reseed though) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988%E2%80%9389_NHL_season

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 11:54 PM
  #8
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan
 
saskriders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,115
vCash: 1322
I would be happy with any divisional playoff set-up, however the best (in my opinion) would switch Colorado and Winnipeg.

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 11:59 PM
  #9
Mercurial
#lalala
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,177
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filips Tuba View Post
Of course if Phoenix moves to Quebec City this plan will be foiled.
not really, they would just move them to our division making it 8 teams.

Mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 12:00 AM
  #10
Shanny
Coming In Hot
 
Shanny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bytown
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,988
vCash: 500
Ottawa
Montreal
Toronto
Boston
Quebec City
Detroit
Buffalo


.. all in one division would be ideal imo, just not sure how the rest of the teams/conferences would shake out

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 12:02 AM
  #11
GK
Not Jeeks
 
GK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Peterborough
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,616
vCash: 500
We would become rivals with Tampa and Florida obviously. It would be exciting after a few close games..

GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 12:11 AM
  #12
BK201
Registered User
 
BK201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Choices are interesting.
not really they seems stupid


our division does not make sense every other team is extremely north than all of a sudden we have teams pretty much as south as the caribbean....

i think we should get both the new yorks and the florida's go to the other eastern conference. so ours would be

Ottawa Toronto Buffalo Montreal Boston NYR NYI = north east

than NJd philly pens canes capitals tampa panthers = south east

if they wanted to keep 7 and 7 in the east

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 12:33 AM
  #13
B3rs3rker
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 344
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
not really they seems stupid


our division does not make sense every other team is extremely north than all of a sudden we have teams pretty much as south as the caribbean....

i think we should get both the new yorks and the florida's go to the other eastern conference. so ours would be

Ottawa Toronto Buffalo Montreal Boston NYR NYI = north east

than NJd philly pens canes capitals tampa panthers = south east

if they wanted to keep 7 and 7 in the east
Big reason for the two South teams being proposed to go there is because of all the Canadian teams that fill up Bolths and Panthers rinks when they play down there (Habs and Leafs fans anyway). Extra revenue for those teams means extra revenue for the league.

Seems dumb geographically, but it makes sense business wise.

B3rs3rker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 12:59 AM
  #14
OmniSens
@OmniSenators
 
OmniSens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,690
vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Don't fix what ain't broke...why change?

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 01:04 AM
  #15
Ed Wood
Registered User
 
Ed Wood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,895
vCash: 500
In the seven team divisions each team could play their conference rivals six times each for a total of 36 games. If they play the remaining 23 teams twice each it works out to an 82 game schedule. Things don't work out nearly so nicely in the two eight team conferences.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 01:06 AM
  #16
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan
 
saskriders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,115
vCash: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSens View Post
Don't fix what ain't broke...why change?
"Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem a turned it into an opportunity." Joseph Sugarman


"Small opportunities are often the beginning of great enterprises." Demosthenes

"We are continually faced by great opportunities brilliantly disguised as insoluble problems." Anonymous

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 01:25 AM
  #17
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward
 
Do Make Say Think's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 15,717
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filips Tuba View Post
But if that means a first-round series with Florida and a second round with Tampa...meh. Just can't get excited about that.
A good team is a good team: it doesn't matter where they play. Florida has looked good so far. Tampa Bay is fun to watch, they don't use the trap all the time.

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 02:35 AM
  #18
Wham City
Registered User
 
Wham City's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Whistler
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
A good team is a good team: it doesn't matter where they play. Florida has looked good so far. Tampa Bay is fun to watch, they don't use the trap all the time.
Not saying they're not good teams.

But much of the logic of doing this realignment is divisions roughly based on geography to build rivalries. Under this proposal the Habs would fly directly over six other franchises to play a divisional game against the Panthers. The Northeast + Florida just doesn't do it for me like this would:

Boston
Buffalo
Detroit
Montreal
Ottawa
Toronto
Columbus/Quebec City

Oh well, can't win em all.

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 04:10 AM
  #19
jbeck5
Registered User
 
jbeck5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,521
vCash: 500
What i don't get is...

1) why does the west have more teams then the east when the majority of the teams or on the eastern half...

2)...isn't it easier to make the playoffs in the 7-team division then the 8-team division? mathematical uneven odds aren't fair...

3) who's the idiot who formed those divisions? Are they meant to be simply random or based on geographics? Ottawa and florida in the same division doesn't make any sense...

It honestly looks like they simply took winnepeg and put them in the west making the teams 16 to 14, then pressed the button "randomize" with the only rule being "old canadian teams must stay in same division" that's it. That's the only reasonable way that they came up with these divisions.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 04:23 AM
  #20
jbeck5
Registered User
 
jbeck5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
"Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem a turned it into an opportunity." Joseph Sugarman


"Small opportunities are often the beginning of great enterprises." Demosthenes

"We are continually faced by great opportunities brilliantly disguised as insoluble problems." Anonymous
That sounds great and all, but doesn't explain how the proposed system would be better then the old one.. The only thing they should tweak is the division leaders being seeded 1,2,3...Honestly...who the **** cares if their division is represented in the playoffs? If i don't make the playoffs, i sure as hell don't want my division rivals making it. it's soooo stupid.

It just won't work until they get 28 or 32 teams...

The number of teams MUST be dividable by the number of divisions...if not, you are giving an advantage/disadvantage...it simply does NOT WORK.

Teams in one division have a 57% chance of making the playoffs while teams in another have a 50% chance of making the playoffs? You think the teams with 50% chance are going to be happy?

We should revisit this subject when the total number of teams is a reciprocal of the number of division.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 05:33 AM
  #21
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW
 
Pietraneglo222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Gatineau
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
That sounds great and all, but doesn't explain how the proposed system would be better then the old one.. The only thing they should tweak is the division leaders being seeded 1,2,3...Honestly...who the **** cares if their division is represented in the playoffs? If i don't make the playoffs, i sure as hell don't want my division rivals making it. it's soooo stupid.

It just won't work until they get 28 or 32 teams...

The number of teams MUST be dividable by the number of divisions...if not, you are giving an advantage/disadvantage...it simply does NOT WORK.

Teams in one division have a 57% chance of making the playoffs while teams in another have a 50% chance of making the playoffs? You think the teams with 50% chance are going to be happy?

We should revisit this subject when the total number of teams is a reciprocal of the number of division.
Listen, having symmetry isn't really essential (note that I didn't say perfect or intuitive). There's ways to compensate for fairness.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 07:41 AM
  #22
nnynetpotato
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 402
vCash: 500
Clearly,they're planning on either adding 2 teams...

or contracting 2.

MLB had an uneven # of teams for years.16 AL 14 NL.

Houston's moving this year to even it out.

nnynetpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 07:55 AM
  #23
benjiv1
Registered User
 
benjiv1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,638
vCash: 500
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but one of the main reasons Tampa and Florida would be in our conference is because of the SnowBirds.

Lots of Canadians head south for the winter (or retire), as a result Tampa and Florida tend to do big numbers whenever Canadian teams play them.

benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 09:17 AM
  #24
Holdurbreathe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireball8992 View Post
Big reason for the two South teams being proposed to go there is because of all the Canadian teams that fill up Bolths and Panthers rinks when they play down there (Habs and Leafs fans anyway). Extra revenue for those teams means extra revenue for the league.

Seems dumb geographically, but it makes sense business wise.
Canadians wintering in Florida don't flock to the games, that is a misconception that has been widely propogated.

But I do agree it makes sense from a business perspective, by matching up lower attendance teams with teams that are usually sold out, it should increase revenue overall.

It is why the western alignment is so puzzling, with all the Canadian teams in one group, with the exception of Winnipeg.


Last edited by Holdurbreathe: 12-04-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 09:25 AM
  #25
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal
 
Inkling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,298
vCash: 500
I assumed FLA and TBay are in our proposed Conference just because they don't want to split up the Atlantic Div. (+Washington) teams in the US. They are all pretty close together and have established rivalries so are kept together and Carolina, Florida and Tampa are left over. Carolina is closest to the other Atlantic teams, and we get the Preds and Lightning. The snowbird thing might be a good side-effect but I'd be surprised if it was the primary motivator.

It also works out well for US television as they get two 'attractive' (for them) teams in the first two rounds of the playoffs. They don't like Pens-Sens or Rangers-Habs so much.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.