HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 Realignment

Old
12-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 500
Then in 2013-2014 it would be

Quebec City
Montreal
Ottawa
Markham
Toronto
Buffalo
Boston

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Rooverick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireball8992 View Post
Big reason for the two South teams being proposed to go there is because of all the Canadian teams that fill up Bolths and Panthers rinks when they play down there (Habs and Leafs fans anyway). Extra revenue for those teams means extra revenue for the league.

Seems dumb geographically, but it makes sense business wise.
Yup. When Phoenix moves to Quebec City just dump them in our division and we're good to go.

Rooverick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Mercurial
#lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
It is why the western alignment is so puzzling, with all the Canadian teams in one group, with the exception of Winnipeg.
Timezones. Detriot for sure want to cut down on the number of road games in the pacific.

Mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 11:33 AM
sens2k9

I think the goal is to eventually have 32 teams.

Atlanta moving to Winnipeg just accelerated the re-alignment plans.

Phoenix could move to Quebec City and they can still add teams to a couple of other bigger markets (Seattle, KC, etc).

Hell, even if Phoenix moves, they could in theory just award the city a new franchise with competent ownership and a good lease agreement.

sens2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 11:38 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens2k9 View Post
I think the goal is to eventually have 32 teams.

Atlanta moving to Winnipeg just accelerated the re-alignment plans.

Phoenix could move to Quebec City and they can still add teams to a couple of other bigger markets (Seattle, KC, etc).

Hell, even if Phoenix moves, they could in theory just award the city a new franchise with competent ownership and a good lease agreement.
The worst possible thing would be to award Phoenix a team right away maybe 10-15 years you look at going back but not right away.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 11:54 AM
operasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Then in 2013-2014 it would be

Quebec City
Montreal
Ottawa
Markham
Toronto
Buffalo
Boston

Not a fan of all Canadian teams in same division. Spread them out so we can one get all Canadian Cup again. Do like the Markham, QC ideas though. Send them for Rangers and Pittsburgh

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 11:59 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen View Post
Not a fan of all Canadian teams in same division. Spread them out so we can one get all Canadian Cup again. Do like the Markham, QC ideas though. Send them for Rangers and Pittsburgh
I could see Markham going to the west.

Old
12-04-2011, 12:07 PM
derriko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filips Tuba View Post
Of course if Phoenix moves to Quebec City this plan will be foiled.
Move them to Seattle = plan is unfoiled.

But that would also mean you guys would move to my second favorite team.. I don't know if the sens can handle the loss of my superior fanship

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

Hamilton will have a team before Markham ever gets one. A 32 team league will not be welcomed by the NHLPA(will most likely have to increase regular season schedule to 84-86 games, added travel as well)

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 12:09 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
Hamilton will have a team before Markham ever gets one. A 32 team league will not be welcomed by the NHLPA(will most likely have to increase regular season schedule to 84-86 games, added travel as well)
What about the increase of 50 more players into the NHL though?

Anyway, love this idea and hope we go back to divisional playoffs.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
Move them to Seattle = plan is unfoiled.

But that would also mean you guys would move to my second favorite team.. I don't know if the sens can handle the loss of my superior fanship
My list of cities that should have teams goes in this order:

Quebec City
Hamilton
Seattle
Hartford(yes it will never happen but..still)
Kansas City

Old
12-04-2011, 12:15 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
More teams may not mean more games you could even see less there could be less divsion games and conference games who knows maybe it will be you play 6 games vs each team in your own division and 2 games vs every other team.

Old
12-04-2011, 12:19 PM
derriko

So does anybody know the status of Phoenix anyways? I thought there was some sort of deadline by December 1st, but I have not read or heard anything recently....

If you were to make a bet what odds would you place for them moving?

I would go 7 - 3 for moving

Old
12-04-2011, 12:22 PM
GreatStateofHockey

I know it sounds weird with Us playing Florida and Tampa, but I't actually makes sense, given that every other team in the NHL has to fly to them. Since everyone has to fly to them, why not send the furthest away teams, so that the teams that are close together (Washington,Raleigh,Philly,Newark, etc.) can stick together because it only takes a bus.

If that makes any sense to you...

GreatStateofHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

Quote:
So does anybody know the status of Phoenix anyways? I thought there was some sort of deadline by December 1st, but I have not read or heard anything recently....

If you were to make a bet what odds would you place for them moving?

I would go 7 - 3 for moving
Well given the fact that the NHL has been as silent as ever regarding the yotes, and the fact that one of the head guys in Glendale(Beasley) just retired(resigned), the belief is that it's a play for the guy to save face and escape being blamed for the entire mess down there. I'd be shocked and appalled if there is still an NHL team in the desert by June.

Old
12-04-2011, 12:25 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Quote:
Well given the fact that the NHL has been as silent as ever regarding the yotes, and the fact that one of the head guys in Glendale(Beasley) just retired(resigned), the belief is that it's a play for the guy to save face and escape being blamed for the entire mess down there. I'd be shocked and appalled if there is still an NHL team in the desert by June.
Yeah, I would say no news is good news because Bettman will try everything possible to keep them in Phoenix.

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 12:47 PM
derriko

I would feel bad for Pheonix fans. I would not want anyone to have to experience losing their team like us washingtonians lost the Seattle Sonics, even though that situation is 10x worse because we actually attended their games. That said, if they moved to Seattle I would only feel sad for about .2 seconds...

Old
12-04-2011, 12:57 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Quote:
I would feel bad for Pheonix fans. I would not want anyone to have to experience losing their team like us washingtonians lost the Seattle Sonics, even though that situation is 10x worse because we actually attended their games. That said, if they moved to Seattle I would only feel sad for about .2 seconds...
The only reason the NBA left Seattle was because the arena sucks, and there is no new one coming. I doubt the coyotes move to Seattle, but I wouldn't be surprised if you had a team in 5 years.

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 01:09 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZibanejad View Post
I know it sounds weird with Us playing Florida and Tampa, but I't actually makes sense, given that every other team in the NHL has to fly to them. Since everyone has to fly to them, why not send the furthest away teams, so that the teams that are close together (Washington,Raleigh,Philly,Newark, etc.) can stick together because it only takes a bus.

If that makes any sense to you...
New York-New Jersey-Philadelphia are bus trips but the rest you would have to fly there not all bus trips.

Old
12-04-2011, 01:24 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
Listen, having symmetry isn't really essential (note that I didn't say perfect or intuitive). There's ways to compensate for fairness.
How do you compensate for the teams that are in the bigger division? What are these so called "ways to compensate for fairness"?

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Yeah, I would say no news is good news because Bettman will try everything possible to keep them in Phoenix.
The Phoenix nonsense is almost over IMO. The team continues to lose $20M+ per year and nobody wants to buy the team without the City of Glendale soaking up the losses.

I don't believe the NHL wants to move two franchises to Canada in back-to-back years, so I would expect Bettman is exploring all possibilities for the team to move to KC or Seattle.

I also believe Bettman will support a team in QC, but he would like it to be an expansion franchise to help recoup the losses the league has absorbed via expansion fees.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 01:45 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
The Phoenix nonsense is almost over IMO. The team continues to lose $20M+ per year and nobody wants to buy the team without the City of Glendale soaking up the losses.

I don't believe the NHL wants to move two franchises to Canada in back-to-back years, so I would expect Bettman is exploring all possibilities for the team to move to KC or Seattle.

I also believe Bettman will support a team in QC, but he would like it to be an expansion franchise to help recoup the losses the league has absorbed via expansion fees.
I wuld hope the league would make sure all or most of tis teams are in good shape before expanding.

Old
12-04-2011, 01:49 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Canadians wintering in Florida don't flock to the games, that is a misconception that has been widely propogated.
Can you eloborate?

Not being a *****...but I always thought this was true to some extent? It seems true to some extent atleast?

Might see even more of it if these teams are playing each other regularly?

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 01:53 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Can you eloborate?

Not being a *****...but I always thought this was true to some extent? It seems true to some extent atleast?

Might see even more of it if these teams are playing each other regularly?
I think it happens to an extent, but not enough to counter balance the extra cost in travel. I mean, it's not like theres thousands of canadians there. More then other places? Absolutely. How much more? Doesn't look like THAT much more to justify changing the divisions even though they're at opposite ends of the continent.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
I think it happens to an extent, but not enough to counter balance the extra cost in travel. I mean, it's not like theres thousands of canadians there. More then other places? Absolutely. How much more? Doesn't look like THAT much more to justify changing the divisions even though they're at opposite ends of the continent.
I just think there's gotta be a reason TBay and Florida get lumped with the North East.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote