HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"The Goal" - Burrows in Game 7

View Poll Results: What is the biggest goal in our franchise's history?
Burrows vs. Chicago in Game 7 62 75.61%
Bure vs. Calgary in Game 7 16 19.51%
Bieksa vs. San Jose in Game 5 0 0%
Adams vs. Toronto in Game 5 2 2.44%
Other 2 2.44%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-04-2011, 11:13 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

vCash: 500
"The Goal" - Burrows in Game 7

I was watching the after-game special on Alex Burrows and they did a look back at Game 7 against Chicago. After watching the events of the game broken down in detail, I started thinking about what might have happened had Burrows broken his stick on that shot. The entire face of our franchise would have been wiped out and we would likely be looking at a completely different team had someone on the Blackhawks been able to beat Luongo.

I got to thinking about the goal's importance in terms of our entire franchise, and I rank it at the top of the list for the biggest goals in the history of the team. The Bieksa goal was massive, and the Bure goal was phenomenal, but IMO there was no bigger goal than Burrows'. It allowed our entire fanbase and the team to save face and set the stage for one of the best post-season runs we've ever had. We would have endured countless years of torment from rival fanbases and the team would be forever questioned in the playoffs.

What do you guys think? Also, feel free to post your story about experiencing "The Goal". I was with my four closest friends in a Wings by Lougheed Mall, and I've never jumped so high in my life. Downtown was just incredible.

Huntershin Karuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Jyrki21
Trade request DENIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
I was watching the after-game special on Alex Burrows and they did a look back at Game 7 against Chicago. After watching the events of the game broken down in detail, I started thinking about what might have happened had Burrows broken his stick on that shot. The entire face of our franchise would have been wiped out and we would likely be looking at a completely different team had someone on the Blackhawks been able to beat Luongo.
Proof that fans should think twice before they want to fire/trade everyone after a single result. The identical team that went to Game 7 of the Finals (in 1994 too) could have been knocked out in the first round with barely different luck.

Jyrki21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 11:17 PM
flack

My greatest feeling that game occurred not from seeing the goal but the look on Jonathan Teows face after the goal. Had we not scored and they scored I think that would have been the worst feeling ever.

flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 11:22 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by flack View Post
My greatest feeling that game occurred not from seeing the goal but the look on Jonathan Teows face after the goal. Had we not scored and they scored I think that would have been the worst feeling ever.
Yeah, I pretty much went from not minding/liking Toews to losing respect for him after that series.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 11:22 PM
thenextone

It's the biggest goal in franchise history SO FAR.

If we lose that game it means that we blow a series after being up 3-0, being the top team in the league in nearly every statistical category against a team that backed into the playoffs as an 8th seed (albeit defending champs).

Losing that game and series would have been the biggest black mark on the franchise since we lost to the Wild in 2003 and just another piece of embarrassment to a franchise that has an already long list of them.

It also means that Gillis would be forced to make changes for the sake of making changes, something he clearly wouldn't want to do. As it stands our team is deeper than last year and if we lost in the first round we would have blown it up and probably been worse of.

The Bure goal was great, but if we lose to the Flames, it would have been disappointing, but not devastating. The Bieksa and Adams goals are very similar...but they were scored in series we basically owned. They were both "feel-good" goals.

The Burrows goal saved the franchise. Too bad we didn't have another moment for him or the players.

thenextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 11:23 PM
arsmaster

If I was allowed to vote, it would be Bure's goal.

If you look at it from a 40 year sample, and not what is most recent....the goal was better, and we were huge underdogs.

We were supposed to beat Chicago...it was vindication for the two previous years, but that Flames rivalry had a lot more than 3 playoff series behind the hate.

Huge goal, both of them, and I will remember where I was on both.

DISCLAIMER: Had we won the Cup, it would have been Burrows' goal against the Hawks.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 11:23 PM
vadim sharifijanov

this thread makes me sad.

greatest goal is the one lafayette didn't score.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 11:30 PM
M A K A V E L I*

Bure goal was bigger in the larger context. That capped a 3-1 series comeback with 3 straight OT wins. Plus that team was closer to the cup than this one.

In that game the Canucks were down in game 7 by a goal with a few minutes left in the 3rd before Bure assisted on a Greg Adams goal and then won it in OT. Also can't forget the McLean save.

M A K A V E L I* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 11:30 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
this thread makes me sad.

greatest goal is the one lafayette didn't score.
That would have tied it, not won it. The stage would have been set for a Linden hattrick.

Old
12-04-2011, 11:35 PM
hlrsr

Like you say, it was huge not because of where it got us but because of what it avoided.

Losing that series would have been BAD.

hlrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 11:37 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Burrows goal is bigger.

You really have to consider HOW good this team was last year & how bad that loss would have been. The '94 team was a cinderella team while last years team had serious expectations placed on them.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 11:41 PM
flack

Quote:
Originally Posted by M A K A V E L I View Post
Bure goal was bigger in the larger context. That capped a 3-1 series comeback with 3 straight OT wins. Plus that team was closer to the cup than this one.

In that game the Canucks were down in game 7 by a goal with a few minutes left in the 3rd before Bure assisted on a Greg Adams goal and then won it in OT. Also can't forget the McLean save.
If Bure didn't score, it wouldn't matter much because there would be no embarrassment as Calgary was heavily favoured. But that burrows goal was different if we lost, it would have been the WORST CHOKE in HISTORY, president's trophy winners by a wide margin, led the league in almost every category, Had a 3-0 LEAD in the series. It would go down in history... To add to that everybody has to face the personal embarrassment "we are going to expose who they really are" from Jonathan ****ing classless Teows.

Old
12-04-2011, 11:42 PM
opendoor

That goal prevented what would have been the biggest choke in NHL history. Even if they lost in the 2nd or 3rd round that goal probably still would've been the biggest just for what it prevented.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 11:54 PM
timorousme
luongod

i can't even imagine how ugly that summer would be

the bure goal is nice too and the bieksa one is big but san jose rolled over pretty easily in that series, not a lot of tension.

the burrows goal is just beautiful, out of the blue, and iconic. still gives me chills when i see it.

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 12:03 AM
keslerburrows

My vote goes to Burrows game 7. But this should be in discussion IMO:

Just look at Jovo :')

keslerburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 12:05 AM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

Left the Cooke one out because it didn't amount to anything in the end.

Old
12-05-2011, 12:15 AM
Hugh Mann*
Hey! Hey! You! You!

vCash: 50
Greg Adams' goal in 94 against Potvin.

Burrows in 2011 wins only due to recentism, because many of the posters here were too young to remember 1994, and therefore attach much greater emotional weight to Burrows' more recent goal.

Hugh Mann* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 02:06 AM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

Adams' was huge, no doubt.

Old
12-05-2011, 02:54 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
The greatest goal in Canucks history has yet to be scored.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 02:58 AM
flack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Say if we won the SCF in 4 games and on the last game it is a blowout would that be considered the greatest goal in Canucks history? If you answer yes then I will agree with your question because eventually we have to win the cup right? if "no" then I have to say you can't be sure.

Old
12-05-2011, 12:42 PM
jd22

vCash: 705
Send a message via MSN to jd22
I was just looking over the goals on youtube and I realized that if (on the Burrows goal) the puck had bounced on Dan Hamhuis there would have been a 2 on 1 going the other way. Scary thought.

jd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 12:46 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flack View Post
Say if we won the SCF in 4 games and on the last game it is a blowout would that be considered the greatest goal in Canucks history? If you answer yes then I will agree with your question because eventually we have to win the cup right? if "no" then I have to say you can't be sure.
No, but there'd probably be a big goal along the way somewhere in the playoff run leading up to the cup win. Had the Canucks won the SCF, Burrows' goal would've been even bigger, due solely to the fact that it eventually led to a cup win.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

All four of the goals listed here are definitely amongst the tops in the history of the franchise.

That said, I don't know that this organization would ever have seen a bigger demolition than what would have occurred had the Canucks bowed out against the Hawks this year. We're likely talking full scale exodus of coaching staff, core players, etc. etc.

1994 was a similar situation--a group of guys who had been expected to make a deep run for years, but that year itself was beginning to look like a write-off until they eliminated the Flames and captured lightning in a bottle. If they had ultimately lost to the Flames, I think there would have been signifcant changes, but nothing as major as what would have happened this year.

So in terms of not blowing up the franchise, Burrows' goal was the most significant on the list. I think Adams and Bieksa's goals are hugely important because they springboarded the team into the Finals.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 01:25 PM
kevinBOOMBOOMbieksa

I agree that the burrows goal was the biggest because like has been said, not scoring it could have been the end of an era (Luongo, Sedins, Kesler, coach V) in Vancouver. I am not saying the entire house would have been ripped down, but there is no doubt that there would have been some big changes.

The other goal, though not the biggest, but could have been huge if the Canucks didn't choke in the final, was the Burrows OT goal in game 2. Being in the final makes it just that much bigger. However, since that commanding 2-0 lead meant nothing in the end, it wasn't THAT big of a goal.

kevinBOOMBOOMbieksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 02:26 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
This... as great as either the Bure or Burrows goals are, and they are mammoth goals, the greatest has yet to be scored, and may never be scored.

If you assume the Canucks will never win the Cup, then I stay with the Bure goal simply because it legitimized the Canucks and gave them respect.

Burrows goal just pissed every non canucks fan off.

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote