HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

At What Point Does a Fan Go Find a New Team?

Old
12-05-2011, 06:29 AM
Skraut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Having a terrible team is better than having no team at all.
this.

Enjoy it people of Columbus. You have the only NHL team in the state, and fans from throughout the state drive hours to come to your city to cheer on your team.

even if you can't be bothered to make the 15 minute trip yourself...

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 07:52 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
'Tis a sad day for the Jackets when I have to start meeting strangers from the internet in order to enjoy a game.
Who you callin' strange, Blue Face Guy?

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 08:15 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Back in 06-08 quite a few of us got to meet each other via meetups at the old Rbar. And several of us ran into each other at games. It's funny, though, how after a few thousand posts and chatting live during the games a hundred+ times you feel like you know people. Why spoil it with visuals?

There is always a "remnant" percentage of fans who will actively support a team no matter what. Unfortunately, that level of support don't pay the bills.

I grew up going to Checkers games in Cbus. Mostly I just wanted the snacks and to get the pucks that used to routinely fly over the chainlink fence into the stands. Now I want my team to break .500 every year and occasionally get in the playoffs. Is that asking too much?

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 08:16 AM
Columbus Mike
Next CBJ GM

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarelaces View Post
Great post Skraut.
I was born in Coumbus. This is my home town. I have been a hockey fan for 50 years. Along the way I had many favorite players but except for the Checkers, Owls and Chill, I had no team (no disrespect to any of them-quite the opposite). 11 years ago I got one. If by some chance they leave, I won't have a team any longer. Voting with your pocketbook as it applies to attendance or swag buying is one thing but turning against your own team because of lack of winning is heresy in my world.
BTW Skraut hockey is either 1A or 1B
This is me. If the CBJ leave, I'll become a fan of whatever ECHL/AHL team moves into town, but my interest in the NHL will drop to close to zero.

I really hope that somehow we end up in the East. The CBJ in the West makes me think relocation is suddenly a real possibility.

Columbus Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 08:19 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Back in 06-08 quite a few of us got to meet each other via meetups at the old Rbar. And several of us ran into each other at games. It's funny, though, how after a few thousand posts and chatting live during the games a hundred+ times you feel like you know people. Why spoil it with visuals?
Hey, not all of us look better with a flaming bag over our heads!

Old
12-05-2011, 08:20 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

I very like Sens from A-train times still before Jackets when I did not know Jackets in this time, only Nash and Vyborny

But I am a huge Jackets fan maybe I will not follow them so often but I will always their loyal fan... and I am not from Columbus but from Slovakia where Columbus is not popular.

I understand people they want to be happy from their team and rater prefer more succesfull but it is not my case IT IS BETTER TO BE LOYAL FAN MY FAVORITE TEAM IN BAD TIMES TOO THAN BANDWAGONER!

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 08:24 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Hey, not all of us look better with a flaming bag over our heads!
FTR: I've met "Pete" and he (Don) WOULD look better with a flaming bag over his head.

Full disclosure: I'm moving off island to FLA this winter (long story yada yada) and the thought of going to Bolt games both intrigues and disgusts me.

Old
12-05-2011, 08:25 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
I very like Sens from A-train times still before Jackets when I did not know Jackets in this time, only Nash and Vyborny

But I am a huge Jackets fan maybe I will not follow them so often but I will always their loyal fan... and I am not from Columbus but from Slovakia where Columbus is not popular.

I understand people they want to be happy from their team and rater prefer more succesfull but it is not my case IT IS BETTER TO BE LOYAL FAN MY FAVORITE TEAM IN BAD TIMES TOO THAN BANDWAGONER!
Your loyalty from such a great distance is very much appreciated.

Old
12-05-2011, 08:28 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
FTR: I've met "Pete" and he (Don) WOULD look better with a flaming bag over his head.

Full disclosure: I'm moving off island to FLA this winter (long story yada yada) and the thought of going to Bolt games both intrigues and disgusts me.
I did say, "not all of us..."

And the long, slow process of heading back north to Columbus has begun. We knew you'd miss us!

Old
12-05-2011, 08:32 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post

RE: Columbus not popular in Slovakia...
Hell, they're not even popular in Columbus!

Note to Pete:
When hell freezes over.

Old
12-05-2011, 08:52 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Note to Pete:
When hell freezes over.
So...there's a chance!

Old
12-05-2011, 09:09 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Your loyalty from such a great distance is very much appreciated.
Loyal fans here are often more loyal fans than fans in the towns where NHL teams are

Old
12-05-2011, 09:13 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:

Note to Pete:
When hell freezes over.
It is because David Výborný played here and Slovaks hate Výborny... fans here wish to hang David Výborný jersey in the hall..................... with him ... so Ihad to hear many not good things from some people... of course not on www.hokejforum.comwhere are great fans and good people from Czech and Slovakia.

Old
12-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
I'm a fan of several sport teams; over the years I have spent more time following the Blue Jackets than any other but the interest is waning. That said I'll always be Jacket fan, as I've been for my other favorite teams that have struggled over the years.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:09 AM
mmajeski06

When the team moves, or you move.

I grew up a Devils fan and am originally from NJ. They are still my favorite team. But after spending 5 years of college in Ohio, and now moving their permanently, I also am a fan of the Jackets.

Nothing wrong with having multiple rooting interests. (Unless they are rivals, then that is just wrong!)

mmajeski06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 05:27 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I'm a fan of several sport teams; over the years I have spent more time following the Blue Jackets than any other but the interest is waning. That said I'll always be Jacket fan, as I've been for my other favorite teams that have struggled over the years.
Your post illustrates my original question. You are "a fan" yet you follow other teams too and have a "wanining interest" in the Jackets.

That's like saying you'll stay married even though your wife has stopped bathing and doesn't care about you anymore, but your girlfriend is awesome even if you can't give her your full attention.

"Waning interest" is a divorce waiting to happen.

Old
12-06-2011, 08:30 AM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Funny this has been brought up.....

I am moving to Alaska here in 4 weeks, and obviously won't be able to get Fox Sports Ohio anymore. I have been debating purchasing the NHL.com package, or Center Ice from my Cable Provider up there, but I don't know if I can honestly justify it anymore.

I was a season ticket holder for 7 years, would have been a day one, but I was under 18. I even bought my season tickets while serving in the Army, and didn't attend my first game until I had been a Season Ticket Holder for 3 years. I was a die hard, and would support this team through thick and thin, and follow them until they went away.

I can't say I feel like that now though. After all these years, and the thousands of dollars I have spent in Tickets, Merchandise, Concessions, etc... I just don't have the same passion for this team. It seems like every step forward for this team is coupled by 3 steps back. The fall from grace since Hitch took us to the Playoff's has been what drained me the most.

Having non hockey people steering the boat has been a huge issue for me, and I have said that in every survey, meeting, etc....

On a side note, I will be able to see the Aces win the Kelly Cup again in the ECHL, as they are tearing it up. They also have some of the coolest jerseys:

I wished the CBJ would have done something like this for their 3rd, similar to how Colorado did their 3rds.

kshymkiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Your post illustrates my original question. You are "a fan" yet you follow other teams too and have a "wanining interest" in the Jackets.

That's like saying you'll stay married even though your wife has stopped bathing and doesn't care about you anymore, but your girlfriend is awesome even if you can't give her your full attention.

"Waning interest" is a divorce waiting to happen.
Not really, there are many things my wife and I did together in the early years of our marriage that we have lost interest in doing now-yet we are still a committed pair; if we ever find our old 8-ball and bowling skill the interest in those games will return quickly.

Old
12-06-2011, 09:14 AM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
I'm sort of in the same boat as Timeless Winter - the Jackets haven't just killed my interest in the franchise, they've killed my interest in hockey altogether. I can't remember the last time I've watched a non-Blue Jackets hockey game. I used to buy the Center Ice package every year, and would religiously watch HNIC and stay up late to watch the West Coast games every night.

However, my pro sports interests have shifted mainly to NFL, MLB, and European soccer. Hockey doesn't interest me at all. I still take a passing interest in how the Jackets are doing (checking the score the next day, tuning in to the boards on big occasions like free agency and trade deadline, maybe twice a week at other times), but I have no passion at all for this franchise or the sport. I even tried streaming NHL GameCenter, since I got rid of my cable, and I had to cancel. And missing out on FSN and Jackets telecasts (and the associated blather from Rimer and Davidge) hasn't bothered me in the least (in fact, it probably has improved my quality of life).

I'd probably never root for another NHL franchise other than Jackets, but that's only because I won't be watching.

DJAnimosity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:23 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
I'm sort of in the same boat as Timeless Winter - the Jackets haven't just killed my interest in the franchise, they've killed my interest in hockey altogether. I can't remember the last time I've watched a non-Blue Jackets hockey game. I used to buy the Center Ice package every year, and would religiously watch HNIC and stay up late to watch the West Coast games every night.

However, my pro sports interests have shifted mainly to NFL, MLB, and European soccer. Hockey doesn't interest me at all. I still take a passing interest in how the Jackets are doing (checking the score the next day, tuning in to the boards on big occasions like free agency and trade deadline, maybe twice a week at other times), but I have no passion at all for this franchise or the sport. I even tried streaming NHL GameCenter, since I got rid of my cable, and I had to cancel. And missing out on FSN and Jackets telecasts (and the associated blather from Rimer and Davidge) hasn't bothered me in the least (in fact, it probably has improved my quality of life).

I'd probably never root for another NHL franchise other than Jackets, but that's only because I won't be watching.
To bad, overall the NHL is a fun league to watch but if the other 29 teams are of no interest and you have grown tired of the Blue Jackets what's the point. Your case has happened to me in the NFL over the years as I only have intense interest for one team and they suck, I hardly watched the NFL last season.

Old
12-06-2011, 10:07 AM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
To bad, overall the NHL is a fun league to watch but if the other 29 teams are of no interest and you have grown tired of the Blue Jackets what's the point. Your case has happened to me in the NFL over the years as I only have intense interest for one team and they suck, I hardly watched the NFL last season.
I think part of my problem with watching other NHL teams is that it reinforces the suckitude and mismanagement of the Jackets, and it's really an awful thing to witness. Seeing other teams have cycles of ups and downs, being saved by draft picks, rebuilding through the draft, having optimism, while the Jackets continue to languish, really just is of no interest to me. Plus, having invested so much money, time, and effort into the Jackets, I wouldn't want to go through that entire process again with a new team. So I choose to just ignore it altogether.

DJAnimosity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:20 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
I think part of my problem with watching other NHL teams is that it reinforces the suckitude and mismanagement of the Jackets, and it's really an awful thing to witness. Seeing other teams have cycles of ups and downs, being saved by draft picks, rebuilding through the draft, having optimism, while the Jackets continue to languish, really just is of no interest to me. Plus, having invested so much money, time, and effort into the Jackets, I wouldn't want to go through that entire process again with a new team. So I choose to just ignore it altogether.
This. While I'll watch the playoffs (nothing else on, I'm a fairweather Reds fan and I'm not a fan of the NBA at all), the sheer mismanagement of this franchise has actually lowered the NHL on my scale of Sports Interests.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:27 AM
cbj21

I been a fan since day one. But it's been up and down for me, but pretty much all down for the team. I only seen the Jackets Live once and that was in Sweden. Game 2 they won. That was fun.
Every season starts with a big belief but quickly changes into less caring. I still watch some games at night making my wife angry. I could watch the Rangers some also if they call up their Norwegian player but I won't root for another team more than the Jackets.
They are my team. I will be one of those who will just wait for the Jackets to be better. I will watch them when I can but not worry about losses or wins so much.
I will be there when the wins start coming. That being next year or 10 years from now.
Hope to see them Live in a playoff one day. That would be great, but if I don't I don't.
It's just a game.

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:45 AM
St1ngr

Interest in the CBJ has clearly waned. Most casual fans have given up entirely. Many avid hockey fans have walked away. Die hard fans are beginning to get a little apathetic. Only the ultra-die-hards are unfazed (I.e. the "poop freeze" contingency), and as was pointed out earlier in this thread, there are not enough of these folks to pay the bills.

What the organization seems oblivious to is that IRREVERSIBLE damage is being done to the fan base as this team continues to languish and play out the string on yet another failed campaign.

Once people give up their seats, and lose their PSL investment, what is the likelihood they ever come back and buy a new PSL?

St1ngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by St1ngr View Post
Interest in the CBJ has clearly waned. Most casual fans have given up entirely. Many avid hockey fans have walked away. Die hard fans are beginning to get a little apathetic. Only the ultra-die-hards are unfazed (I.e. the "poop freeze" contingency), and as was pointed out earlier in this thread, there are not enough of these folks to pay the bills.

What the organization seems oblivious to is that IRREVERSIBLE damage is being done to the fan base as this team continues to languish and play out the string on yet another failed campaign.

Once people give up their seats, and lose their PSL investment, what is the likelihood they ever come back and buy a new PSL?
Upsetting a few "diehards" like yourself isn't irreversible damage. You can and will very easily be replaced when the team starts winning:.