HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Ryan Miller bowled over in first game back (Tootoo gets two)

Old
12-06-2011, 09:53 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
And to be fair to Shanahan, the Lucic hit and this hit were obviously different. I think most would agree that a goalie in vs. out of the paint are two very different scenarios.
The problem is that the rulebook doesn't view it differently.

People like to say that it SHOULD matter or that there are unwritten rules. But, the rulebook doesn't call out a difference and in fact says that goalies that leave their crease are NOT fair game to be hit.

Honestly, I think the Lucic hit was worse because he

A) had more places to go to avoid contact with Miller
B) was not being pressured by a defenseman that helped ride him into Miller

I'm guessing Tootoo gets suspended because he's viewed as an even dirtier player and because the GMs told Shanny to do more to protect goalies moving forward after the Lucic on Miller incident.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:58 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
The funny thing is that I don't really think that was suspension-worthy.

We're all sensitized to it due to the Lucic incident, but in a vacuum? I don't really think it was that huge of a deal past the punishment that was dished out on the ice.

My interest in the suspension is to see whether Shanahan has to bite the bullet and set precedent for goalie running even though it wasn't a horrible incident (in which case I think Tootoo is essentially getting punished for Shanahan missing the Lucic suspension) or if he does nothing, opening him to more criticism that goalie-running is AOK.

I think Tootoo gets a fine. Maybe a game.
I've always been of the opinion that if you did something in play to get a 5 and a game, you should probably be suspended for at least a game. I know that most people like to subscribe to the idea that in game punishment is usually enough, but I've always felt that if you did something that bad to get a major and tossed you should sit for a night too.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:14 AM
punkr0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
I've always been of the opinion that if you did something in play to get a 5 and a game, you should probably be suspended for at least a game. I know that most people like to subscribe to the idea that in game punishment is usually enough, but I've always felt that if you did something that bad to get a major and tossed you should sit for a night too.
Penalties and suspensions are totally separate issues. Guys have been suspended for hits that weren't penalized (Kaleta headbutt) and guys can get majors for hits that aren't suspension worthy. The refs on the ice are just reacting to what they see and can make mistakes. Shanahan has the advantage of looking at every play sometimes for days before making his decision. I agree with Clock that if this hit is looked at without context it's probably not a suspension. But considering the situation I do think Shanahan needs to take a stance to protect goalies after failing to address the first hit.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:34 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
NSH's Jordin Tootoo gets two-game suspension, as per NHL.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:38 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Nashville Predators forward Jordin Tootoo has been suspended for two games for his hit on Buffalo Sabres goaltender Ryan Miller during a game on Saturday.

Tootoo had a telephone hearing on Monday with Brendan Shanahan, the NHL senior vice-president of player safety and hockey operations.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=382097

Shanahan's explanation:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...id=DL|NHL|home

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:42 PM
minuteater
does not cohmpeet

Shanahan looks so despondent in the video like he knew he had to do this and he's just upholding the company line.

minuteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Clock

That's pretty hardcore. Two games? Eek.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:44 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

It is what i expected. I also liked lindy ruff's comparison to Suh. The nhl needs to totally rework its suspension policy.

They need to weigh game time versus the amount of games in a season.

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 12-06-2011 at 12:50 PM.
ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Clock

Notice the verbage - "The goaltender must feel protected in his crease."

That's how he's differentiating.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:47 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Lucic's hit should of been suspended and this one left alone. Shanny is making quite the impression on this league.
Clearly saw Lucic action was intentional, not like he tried to hide it anyways. But you can see tootoo is like "WTF nooo... must avoid somehow"

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:47 PM
DixonWard15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
NSH's Jordin Tootoo gets two-game suspension, as per NHL.
lucic better send tootoo an apology letter

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:49 PM
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?

I am glad there was a suspension because I could have seen it going either way. Two is to be expected, I suppose. I just can't wait to see what the fallout will be like on the main boards. A lot of Miller haters these days...

1point21Gigawatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Squantosawuss

Considering Miller pounded on the guy with his blocker right after the incident---and received no penalty for that---two games is more than fair.

Case closed.

Now, who runs Miller next? Avery? Coburn? Cooke?

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
Considering Miller pounded on the guy with his blocker right after the incident---and received no penalty for that---two games is more than fair.

Case closed.

Now, who runs Miller next? Avery? Coburn? Cooke?
It was his catching glove, not his blocker.

12-06-2011, 01:15 PM
CrankyJay

Tootoo got suspended for Lucic's hit. Wonderful.

Why can't Shanahan be a man and reverse his decision and just suspend that stupid ****?

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:16 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
Lucic's hit should of been suspended and this one left alone. Shanny is making quite the impression on this league.
Clearly saw Lucic action was intentional, not like he tried to hide it anyways. But you can see tootoo is like "WTF nooo... must avoid somehow"
Yup, this is the suspension world's equivalent of the make-up call. I don't like it, because he actually got both calls wrong. Lucic should have gotten 2 and Tootoo shouldn't have gotten any (IMO).

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:19 PM
KevinFG

Send a message via Skype™ to KevinFG
So, here's some faulty logic for you....

Goalie gets run, no immediate retribution, no suspension.

Goalie gets run, immediate and complete retribution, 2 game suspension.

Therefore: Pummel people in response if you want them to get suspended.

I've seen all the arguments as to why this was suspended, and that wasn't. For this case, and countless others this season and in seasons previous. Unfortunately, my initial logic in this post seems to be as valid as any I've seen from the League recently. I kind of give up.

I'll watch the games, the goals, the fights, the hard hits and cheap shots, and then just shrug. They will do what they do.

KevinFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:19 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Fair punishment .... now pay attention to future hits on goalies and the punishments for those.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:22 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Shanny's mandate on goaltender protection was changed by the general managers after the Lucic hit.

I made that large because people seem to have a hard time grasping this very relevant fact.

It's not a make up call. The GM's said 'Hey, we don't want our goaltenders getting creamed like that.' Shanny said 'Ok. Next time someone does it, they're getting the hammer.'

Someone did. They got the hammer. I fail to understand what's so hard to grasp here.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:26 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
I, for one, feel that "crashing the net" should justify running the goalie in return for a two-minute penalty. It's just too tough to generate offense otherwise.

I want Leggio to get a chance, after all.

drinking bleach irl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:27 PM
sabresfan129103

Good. now hopefully people stop running our franchise goalie.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:29 PM
joshjull

You want to stop players from running the goalie....

Put the metal spikes back in that used to hold the nets in place. After a few guys break themselves slamming into them, it will stop.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:32 PM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Shanny's mandate on goaltender protection was changed by the general managers after the Lucic hit.

I made that large because people seem to have a hard time grasping this very relevant fact.

It's not a make up call. The GM's said 'Hey, we don't want our goaltenders getting creamed like that.' Shanny said 'Ok. Next time someone does it, they're getting the hammer.'

Someone did. They got the hammer. I fail to understand what's so hard to grasp here.
Yea, this is pretty much it.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Quote:

Problem is, this hit wasn't anything like Lucic's. Are they going to start suspending people whenever they drive to the net and lose control and hit the goalie? I can think of at least two cases (and I'm sure there have been more) this year where a Sabre did that and didn't get so much as a minor penalty.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:37 PM
KevinFG

Send a message via Skype™ to KevinFG
It's not that it's hard to grasp (in my case). I understand why Shanahan felt it necessary to do this in this case. To me, it's more that they consistently change interpretation on a whim. Again, I couldn't give a flip less about how they want to call things. Their game. Their players. Their pay checks.

This current example admittedly isn't the best one. But would you agree that on a lot of hits these days, you're left wondering whether or not there's going to be a suspension? Maybe that's just the nature of things, but to my point, I've given up trying to figure it out. Just like icing.

Quote:

KevinFG is offline   Reply With Quote