HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Classic Habs Games...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-19-2004, 08:13 PM
  #1
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,400
vCash: 500
Classic Habs Games...

As we get deeper into the lockout, you know there are going to be classic games being shown on TSN and hopefully CBC.....

When you hear the word "classic", you know the montreal canadiens have to be heavily involved.

So my question is, which montreal game would you like to see all over again before any other game?

The Montreal/Soviet classic on New Years Eve

The Montreal/LA games in 93

The Rangers/Habs in 86

Montreal/Boston (Lafleur skating rather gingerly)

Montreal/Boston Game 3 from 2002?

Montreal/Boston Game 7 fromm 2004? (I guess its too new )

There are so many other games to choose from too.... what would you like to see if you could only choose one?

Hackett is offline  
Old
09-19-2004, 08:18 PM
  #2
Joey
Registered User
 
Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,073
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Joey
I'd like to see the Red Army game for the first time...I'm too young to even know the history behind it

Joey is offline  
Old
09-19-2004, 08:27 PM
  #3
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey
I'd like to see the Red Army game for the first time...I'm too young to even know the history behind it
I saw that game during the 94 lockout. It was a great game but I think you had actually live in that time to totally understand the magnitude of that game.

Hackett is offline  
Old
09-19-2004, 08:53 PM
  #4
Joey
Registered User
 
Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,073
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Joey
Forgive my ignorance [ ], but why WERE they playing the Red Army? Am I just an idiot or were they never in the league?

Joey is offline  
Old
09-19-2004, 09:23 PM
  #5
tritone
Registered User
 
tritone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Laval
Posts: 4,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett
As we get deeper into the lockout, you know there are going to be classic games being shown on TSN and hopefully CBC.....

When you hear the word "classic", you know the montreal canadiens have to be heavily involved.

So my question is, which montreal game would you like to see all over again before any other game?

The Montreal/Soviet classic on New Years Eve

The Montreal/LA games in 93

The Rangers/Habs in 86

Montreal/Boston (Lafleur skating rather gingerly)

Montreal/Boston Game 3 from 2002?

Montreal/Boston Game 7 fromm 2004? (I guess its too new )

There are so many other games to choose from too.... what would you like to see if you could only choose one?
I'd love to see the whole 2002 Bruins series again...but mostly , I'd like to see Saku's return after beating cancer and maybe the highlights leading into the Bruins series....kind of a Saku hommage from 2002
Aside from that , maybe the Habs Nordiques rivalries or the game against Philly when Hextall went EXORCIST on Chelios

tritone is offline  
Old
09-20-2004, 12:33 AM
  #6
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey
Forgive my ignorance [ ], but why WERE they playing the Red Army? Am I just an idiot or were they never in the league?
I'm not totally sure why.... they were just exhibition games though....

I know the red army played in philly as well when they quit and went home without finishing the game

it all comes down to money I guess

Hackett is offline  
Old
09-20-2004, 12:56 AM
  #7
loudi94
Master of my Domain
 
loudi94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,368
vCash: 50
The NHL Network and ESPN Classic has shown almost all of the games you mentioned in the last month or two. The only game missing was Rangers/Habs 86, but they had the Flames/Habs 86 game 5 not long ago.

They've got Game 4 against Philly in 1976 on the 24th and 1965 against Chicago also.

They have a profile on the 4 in row in the 70's on the 27th.

loudi94 is offline  
Old
09-20-2004, 05:03 AM
  #8
High flyin' Habs*
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Georgia
Posts: 2,294
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to High flyin' Habs* Send a message via MSN to High flyin' Habs*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey
I'd like to see the Red Army game for the first time...I'm too young to even know the history behind it
Same here! I'd like to see whats the fuss about that game.

High flyin' Habs* is offline  
Old
09-20-2004, 06:36 AM
  #9
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothskater
Same here! I'd like to see whats the fuss about that game.
Canadian hockey was taking a beating. Before 72 it was assumed that any NHL team would slaughter Russia if only we could use our best players. The Russians were considered amateurs,[different times/different type of hypocrisy] so our best could never play theirs in tournaments or Olympics. While Canada won the 72 series, they lost face in that Russia proved themselves a hockey power regardless of their status. The Russians began sending club teams to play exhibition games. It was the 'flavor of the month' at the time to criticize Cdn. hockey and glorify the Russians. The Canadiens felt that they had something to prove, both involving their team and their league. Add to this that the Bowman led Habs were just getting to be the team that became a dynasty and is listed amongst the best ever. This game was kind of their announcement to the hockey world. They held a wide margin in play and would have won easily had Tretiak not played the game of his life. Dryden didn't have his best game and couldn't match Tretiak,though he wasn't as busy. If this board existed then, half of us would have been screaming for Bunny Larocque next game.

mcphee is offline  
Old
09-20-2004, 07:12 AM
  #10
Rather Gingerly 1*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,832
vCash: 500
I would like to see some of those playoffs games against Boston in the '71 playoffs. When Dryden stops the Big Bad Bruins.

Be good to see the Good Friday Night Massacre also

Rather Gingerly 1* is offline  
Old
09-20-2004, 07:58 AM
  #11
RLC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Canadian hockey was taking a beating. Before 72 it was assumed that any NHL team would slaughter Russia if only we could use our best players. The Russians were considered amateurs,[different times/different type of hypocrisy] so our best could never play theirs in tournaments or Olympics. While Canada won the 72 series, they lost face in that Russia proved themselves a hockey power regardless of their status. The Russians began sending club teams to play exhibition games. It was the 'flavor of the month' at the time to criticize Cdn. hockey and glorify the Russians. The Canadiens felt that they had something to prove, both involving their team and their league. Add to this that the Bowman led Habs were just getting to be the team that became a dynasty and is listed amongst the best ever. This game was kind of their announcement to the hockey world. They held a wide margin in play and would have won easily had Tretiak not played the game of his life. Dryden didn't have his best game and couldn't match Tretiak,though he wasn't as busy. If this board existed then, half of us would have been screaming for Bunny Larocque next game.
For those that were not born or to young, you have to understand the context of those times.
This was the hight of the cold war. The hidden CCCP with total control over any information. The CCCP wanted badly to show the world that communisim is better then democracy. The CCCP had developed a very different style of hockey with very different set plays. Top conditioning and adhearence to the coachs instruction or it's siberia for you and your family ( and that threat was a real one )
You could just see it on the ice. lots of great tic-tac-toe plays and no individual playmaking or the coach would just lace into you on TV at the bench. Also it seems it was alright to hook and spear and slash but never drop your gloves. Of course with the west it's ok to drop your gloves and fight but never spear or use your stick to hack at a player. This difference drove the NHL players mad with anger when the CCCP refs simply did not call CCCP stick infractions but handed out 2 minutes for a regular bodycheck. The CCCP used evey little thing to upset the Wests Players. If the game was in the CCCP then you could expect that the hotel rooms were buged, the food sent over from the west to feed our players would be held up at customs. Phone calls to every hotel room in the middle of the night just to disturb the players sleep and so on and so on. Dirty tricks and more dirty tricks.
That is the context that these games were played under. It was a huge us against them atmosphere. It took the west some time to figure out a defence to some of those set plays the CCCP used. As an example I remember Serge Savard just standing at a certin spot on his blueline, alone and waiting like tree as the play was all the way down the ice, and as the Russians came down the ice the tictactoe had the puck crossing right where Savard was standing so he of course intercepts it and kills the play. The Russian coach was going mad but his players were explaining that Savard was not supposed to be there. That is how rigid the CCCP system was. A chess match on ice.

RLC is offline  
Old
09-20-2004, 08:19 AM
  #12
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Get some old hockey people talking and you'll hear how the west played a few tricks too. Something involving hookers/hotel rooms/ and the night before key games. No we wouldn't do that would we ?

mcphee is offline  
Old
09-20-2004, 08:30 AM
  #13
RLC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Get some old hockey people talking and you'll hear how the west played a few tricks too. Something involving hookers/hotel rooms/ and the night before key games. No we wouldn't do that would we ?
Oh yes indeed, we did adopt some dirty tricks of our own to get even.
But I think the biggest thing that happened overall was that these Russian players that came over to play saw the tremendus wealth and freedom of north america and the realization that what they were told as russians of the west was not exactly true. They went home and told everyone and boy did they want to come back and play and live here. The rest in history.

RLC is offline  
Old
09-20-2004, 09:26 AM
  #14
Anksun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,562
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Get some old hockey people talking and you'll hear how the west played a few tricks too. Something involving hookers/hotel rooms/ and the night before key games. No we wouldn't do that would we ?
Not that long about actually.

I can remember hearing some rumors about a Mtl GM been upset by the way his Mtl team was received in Boston and the unlucky Bruins players been at the same hotel (and stage) of a "nursing convention"... Those players were up for a good night with those "nurses" yeah yeah. This was probably common acting back then anyways

________

I would like to see again the multiple OT wins of MTL that lead to the last CUP in mtl. Roy was really something back then.

Anksun is offline  
Old
09-20-2004, 03:58 PM
  #15
Darz
Registered User
 
Darz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Where's the ANY key?
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,420
vCash: 500
I really have a hard time watching reruns of old games. I remember starting to watch a rerun of the outdoor game last year, and finding myself looking for something else to watch.

During the lockout the only hockey I will probably watch on T.V. is Hamilton Bulldog games if a few are broadcasted in my area. I might also attend a few games locally (Lakehead Thunderwolves - University team)

Darz is offline  
Old
09-20-2004, 06:19 PM
  #16
Slick Nick
Registered User
 
Slick Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montréal
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLC
For those that were not born or to young, you have to understand the context of those times.
This was the hight of the cold war. The hidden CCCP with total control over any information. The CCCP wanted badly to show the world that communisim is better then democracy. The CCCP had developed a very different style of hockey with very different set plays. Top conditioning and adhearence to the coachs instruction or it's siberia for you and your family ( and that threat was a real one )
:lol

What the hell are you talking about? Players and their family sent to Siberia? hahahaha..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLC
You could just see it on the ice. lots of great tic-tac-toe plays and no individual playmaking or the coach would just lace into you on TV at the bench. Also it seems it was alright to hook and spear and slash but never drop your gloves. Of course with the west it's ok to drop your gloves and fight but never spear or use your stick to hack at a player. This difference drove the NHL players mad with anger when the CCCP refs simply did not call CCCP stick infractions but handed out 2 minutes for a regular bodycheck.
The great tic-tac-toes were the result of a different hockey system, hours of training and and obvious advantage to the Red Army team since they gathered the best players in the country and had them playing together for years before the summit series. For the hooking and sticking, it was more of a Canadian thing because CCCP were a lot faster than the Canadians. Canaidans were mad and angry because they expected to brutally demolish the CCCP team, and found out that they were not the only ones playing hockey on this planet. Refs were biaised on both sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLC
The CCCP used evey little thing to upset the Wests Players. If the game was in the CCCP then you could expect that the hotel rooms were buged, the food sent over from the west to feed our players would be held up at customs. Phone calls to every hotel room in the middle of the night just to disturb the players sleep and so on and so on. Dirty tricks and more dirty tricks.
That is the context that these games were played under. It was a huge us against them atmosphere. It took the west some time to figure out a defence to some of those set plays the CCCP used. As an example I remember Serge Savard just standing at a certin spot on his blueline, alone and waiting like tree as the play was all the way down the ice, and as the Russians came down the ice the tictactoe had the puck crossing right where Savard was standing so he of course intercepts it and kills the play. The Russian coach was going mad but his players were explaining that Savard was not supposed to be there. That is how rigid the CCCP system was. A chess match on ice.
Somehow you forgot to say that Bobby Clarke broke Kharlamov's ankle on purpuse before the last game, Kharlamov was the best player on the ice, both teams included.

I don't wana get in all this, but please... players and families sent to goulag, Russians playing a dirty game while Canadians were angels, only russian refs were biaised, russian coaching is dictatorial.. come on.

Slick Nick is offline  
Old
09-20-2004, 06:47 PM
  #17
Jacques Plante
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal--Downtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 516
vCash: 500
I have the Good Friday game on tape both in its entirety and in a 1hour condensed form. That really was a fun game to watch. I've been fasinated by those 80's Habs teams because you don't really hear much about them. I'm only 17 so I never saw them and the team of that decade kind of gets ignored because of all the glorious teams tha preceded it. Until I got this tape I couldn't recognize Bobby Smith, Ryan Walter or even Ludwig. I had heared about all these players, mostly from my dad but never saw them play. I watch that game every once in a while, just for fun.

I would like to see the New years game against the Red Army. I've seen it twice before (1994 lockout, kinda young, and again a couple of years ago.) I love seeing that dynasty. Not just Lafleur, Shutt and Robinson but some of the lesser guys guys like Tremblay with his big afro. I remember Dan Awrey (sp?) really impressed me as a guy that isn't exactly well known by a casual fan.

I would also like to see a game from the mid 60's. Perhaps Henri's controvertial cup clincher in 1966?? The main reason I would like to see that is because my dad clearly remembers it and I would like to better know the hockey from his time. He says that after that game, which was in the afternoon, he went outside and played street hockey with some friends. Must have been fun...

Any Classic game will do. I really respect and love the history of the game so I'll enjoy anything they show.

Jacques Plante is offline  
Old
09-20-2004, 07:13 PM
  #18
chicpea*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 8,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
They held a wide margin in play and would have won easily had Tretiak not played the game of his life.
This may sound sacriligeous, but it was partly because of this game (which I didn't see until maybe 1980/81) that Tretiak was/is one of my hockey heros. I have never, not even to this day, seen a greater goalie. I guess Roy comes about as close and you can get, but it was Vlad who made me become a goalie.

chicpea* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.