HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blessing in Disguise?

Closed Thread

Old
09-19-2004, 09:17 PM
danboulie

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to danboulie
Blessing in Disguise?

Just wondering what everybody's opinion on which teams will benefit from this.
Would the teams with all kinds of young players like Montreal, Florida, and Washington gain more form this because it gives all the young guns another year to grow and mature. As well, if they're playing in the AHL, it may be an eve bigger advantage, because of all the talent that will be sent down to play there this year, making it alot more competitive.

Old
09-19-2004, 09:25 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphotic
Just wondering what everybody's opinion on which teams will benefit from this.
Would the teams with all kinds of young players like Montreal, Florida, and Washington gain more form this because it gives all the young guns another year to grow and mature. As well, if they're playing in the AHL, it may be an eve bigger advantage, because of all the talent that will be sent down to play there this year, making it alot more competitive.
yep, and the best part is the laffs get another year older

How can we go wrong with this lock-out :lol

Old
09-19-2004, 09:30 PM
Shabutie

You bring up a very good point. I do believe a lockout is a good thing for our club. I think it'll show next year. I believe that Pleks and Higgins will definetely be ready and tuned up. Whether it be the 2nd-3rd or 4th line duty we will need our prospects to step up.

Old
09-19-2004, 09:34 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
You bring up a very good point. I do believe a lockout is a good thing for our club. I think it'll show next year. I believe that Pleks and Higgins will definetely be ready and tuned up. Whether it be the 2nd-3rd or 4th line duty we will need our prospects to step up.
Nah, it's not all that good, everyone gets older on the team too. Think about Kovalev if ever he's to come back, Koivu, Rivet, Souray, Brisebois, etc. They are our players right now. Think about Ryder and Ribeiro, they would improve a lot more playing in the nhl this year. Sure it might help a few youngster but not the team.

Old
09-19-2004, 09:38 PM
Shabutie

The competition will be good regardless if they play in the NHL or not. They won't lose any skill by playing in Russia and other suroundings. I think it'll actually improve their game.

Old
09-19-2004, 09:41 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax˛+bx+c
Nah, it's not all that good, everyone gets older on the team too. Think about Kovalev if ever he's to come back, Koivu, Rivet, Souray, Brisebois, etc. They are our players right now. Think about Ryder and Ribeiro, they would improve a lot more playing in the nhl this year. Sure it might help a few youngster but not the team.
Oh but it is. Most of our "old guys" will still be in thier primes, while that wont be the case for team like Toronto, Dallas, Colorado, Detriot....all the big guns. Now obviously the were not in thier prime to start off this season, but hey when your old, another year can be the difference between night and day. The younger teams will be benefit imo, even the ones with players late in their prime........it makes sense logically anyways.

Old
09-19-2004, 09:53 PM
Shabutie

Yzerman is done Shanahan is done, Hull is done. Chelios is burnt to a crisp. Toronto will have 2? players still alive. And Sakic will be just about done as well.

Old
09-19-2004, 09:54 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Yzerman is done Shanahan is done, Hull is done. Chelios is burnt to a crisp. Toronto will have 2? players still alive. And Sakic will be just about done as well.
exactly what im saying...........

or trying to anyways, alcohol can have strange effects

Old
09-19-2004, 10:03 PM
tritone

Quote:
A point that's already been in another thread

Could a lockout be good for the habs? ( 1 2 )

Old
09-19-2004, 10:09 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone
A point that's already been in another thread

Could a lockout be good for the habs? ( 1 2 )
well with so much posting going on lately, can you blame him. Its been a tad crazy aroud here lately since the lock-out and all..........

Old
09-19-2004, 10:17 PM
Shabutie

Sorry I was out playing golf during the weekend, I haven't caught up with all the posts.

Old
09-19-2004, 10:21 PM
Empireshark

Actually I was the one who started the thread "could a lockout be good for the habs?" and the replies were quite varied as to wether it would be good or not. It's interesting to see how much peoples opinions have changed in so short a time now that they are faced with the reality of a lockout rather than the possibility.

Personally, I think a lock out will benifit the habs by way of prospect development. As far as the argument about the lockout being detrimental to the development of players like ryder or ribs I don't think it will be any worse for them than it will be for any of the other locked out players in the NHL. All NHL player development will be stalled this year regardless of how much time and success they have enjoyed in past NHL years. The reality of the situation is no player gets better without playing in game situations on a regular basis. However, in the case of teams like the Leafs players on the downhill side of their careers will quickly become ineffective because it takes them more effort to maintain the skills that they have.

Old
09-19-2004, 10:33 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

In reguards to prospect development, it's good and bad. It's good cause a number of our top prospects get to play together (Komisarek, Kostitsyn, Higgins, Plekanec, just think if Perezhogin were there too!) But in a way it's bad as well, as roster spots will be hard to come by for forwards. Urquhart and Locke could end up not seeing much ice time with the arrival of the stars prospect and even Ferland, Milroy and Lambert may have trouble getting ice time with the depth that's there plus some AHL vets like Morgan, Dusablon, Ivanas (I assume they were sent down)

It's also good for our prospects in the AHL, as the level of play down there should be even better, which will be a great experience for them. Hopefully the defense and goaltending hold up, as the Dogs stand a good chance of going for their 3rd straigth 1st place finish, and a good run in the playoffs would also be very good for the prospects as well.

Old
09-19-2004, 10:40 PM
RLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empireshark
Actually I was the one who started the thread "could a lockout be good for the habs?" and the replies were quite varied as to wether it would be good or not. It's interesting to see how much peoples opinions have changed in so short a time now that they are faced with the reality of a lockout rather than the possibility.

Personally, I think a lock out will benifit the habs by way of prospect development. As far as the argument about the lockout being detrimental to the development of players like ryder or ribs I don't think it will be any worse for them than it will be for any of the other locked out players in the NHL. All NHL player development will be stalled this year regardless of how much time and success they have enjoyed in past NHL years. The reality of the situation is no player gets better without playing in game situations on a regular basis. However, in the case of teams like the Leafs players on the downhill side of their careers will quickly become ineffective because it takes them more effort to maintain the skills that they have.
Yup I think you are right on many fronts. Can you imagine the happy task of BG and Juilein at the 2005 training camp. Lots of talent to chose from at that camp and by xmass 2005 a good chance to trade away those that can no longer make the club. I see a couple of two for one trades then to bring on the last pieces of the puzzel for a run at a cup.

Old
09-19-2004, 10:49 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
In reguards to prospect development, it's good and bad. It's good cause a number of our top prospects get to play together (Komisarek, Kostitsyn, Higgins, Plekanec, just think if Perezhogin were there too!) But in a way it's bad as well, as roster spots will be hard to come by for forwards. Urquhart and Locke could end up not seeing much ice time with the arrival of the stars prospect and even Ferland, Milroy and Lambert may have trouble getting ice time with the depth that's there plus some AHL vets like Morgan, Dusablon, Ivanas (I assume they were sent down)

It's also good for our prospects in the AHL, as the level of play down there should be even better, which will be a great experience for them. Hopefully the defense and goaltending hold up, as the Dogs stand a good chance of going for their 3rd straigth 1st place finish, and a good run in the playoffs would also be very good for the prospects as well.
Thats very true, but guys like Locke and Urquhart most likely will see ice time no, with there not being so much depth at centre??

I might be missing some players here, but after Pleks (who should be the first line centre), would Locke and Urquhart not follow as 2 and 3 repspectively or vice versa based on performance??

Old
09-19-2004, 11:04 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal

But there is also a benefit to loads of prospects which will cause great competition for playing time. Thus we will see who rises to the occasion and not try to play off their first round status like a few previous hab busts who will go unnamed.

The two players it could truly hurt is Hossa and Hainsey unless Marcel finds work in Europe. Hainsey, well, "Hollywood" seems like a perfect fit in a 4 on 4 league, not that it will help his NHL career.

Old
09-20-2004, 11:30 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Thats very true, but guys like Locke and Urquhart most likely will see ice time no, with there not being so much depth at centre??

I might be missing some players here, but after Pleks (who should be the first line centre), would Locke and Urquhart not follow as 2 and 3 repspectively or vice versa based on performance??

I'd be surprised if they go with 2 rookie centers in their top 3 lines. But it depends on how they do at camp and where they put other centers like Ott, and Morgan. I would think Ott would be the #2 center or even 1st line, as he's got NHL experience, although I hope it's Plekanec.

Closed Thread