HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks News/Notes 9

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2012, 03:49 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Yah :\

Doug said he hasn't met with the owners yet though. Hopefully they tear him a new one and force him to either fire Todd, or at least the assistants.

I get the feeling its kind of unusual for the GM to tell the coach "Fire your assistants" though. You either fire the coach or don't, you don't dictate who his assistants are.
But I would think with DW's ass on the line he wouldn't worry too much about 'the usual'. I read a different article where TMac said that the PK has not worked for the last two years. Either replace the assistants or get replaced yourself.

04-26-2012, 06:30 PM
StalockSuperfan

Quote:
I get the feeling its kind of unusual for the GM to tell the coach "Fire your assistants" though. You either fire the coach or don't, you don't dictate who his assistants are.
I definitely agree with this. It's up to Todd who his assistants are, not Doug.

Old
04-26-2012, 07:21 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

If TMac doesn't think it was the coaching then they may stay. DW will definitely make it known if he has a problem with them. It's not like there is some imaginary brick wall between them discussing this. I doubt DW will come right out a tell Tmac to fire them, but his opinion on the matter will be made clear and Todd will suffer the consequences if it and the team fails early next year.

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Old
04-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StalockSuperfan View Post
Further proof he has the judgement of an ear of corn

Old
04-27-2012, 12:52 AM
CupfortheSharks

Quote:
I can't imagine the Sharks orginazation lets the Todd hire and fire his assistants in a bubble. I'm sure that DW and probably others are in on the interview process and weigh in on the decision.

Most of the hiring and firing I've done, my boss was involved. When I had managers reporting to me, I got involved in hire/fire decisions for their direct reports. Day to day management is one thing, but it just makes sense to get more people involved in personnel decisions.

Do you really think DW has final say on who all the players are and who the head coach is but does't have anything to say about who the assistants are?

Old
04-27-2012, 08:22 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupfortheSharks View Post
I can't imagine the Sharks orginazation lets the Todd hire and fire his assistants in a bubble. I'm sure that DW and probably others are in on the interview process and weigh in on the decision.

Most of the hiring and firing I've done, my boss was involved. When I had managers reporting to me, I got involved in hire/fire decisions for their direct reports. Day to day management is one thing, but it just makes sense to get more people involved in personnel decisions.

Do you really think DW has final say on who all the players are and who the head coach is but does't have anything to say about who the assistants are?
That's all well and good, but it's a lot different than your boss coming to you and saying "Fire all your subordinates and hire new ones", especially on a sports team. I'm sure Wilson has to approve the choices, but I don't think it would be well received. Plus, McLellan takes responsibility for his assistants, and they stunk.

Old
04-27-2012, 09:15 AM
CupfortheSharks

Quote:
That's all well and good, but it's a lot different than your boss coming to you and saying "Fire all your subordinates and hire new ones", especially on a sports team.
I never stated it would go down like that. I was responding to a post that said Todd is the decision maker not DW. I don't believe that's true. I think Todd has lots to say about it but DW has the final call.

Old
04-27-2012, 10:15 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
I never stated it would go down like that. I was responding to a post that said Todd is the decision maker not DW. I don't believe that's true. I think Todd has lots to say about it but DW has the final call.
I disagree. DW is a delegater, always has been. He expects Todd to run this team, and hire the appropriate people. I'm sure he has oversight on all hire's, but I doubt he veto's Todd's choices very often or tells him what to do. If he has to tell Todd how to run the team, then Todd isn't doing his job, and Todd would be fired.

I'm sure they talk, and DW makes his opinion known to Todd, but I would be shocked if he forced Todd to fire his assistants because that would be Wilson saying "You don't know what you are doing, so I am going to do it for you" in which case, he would simply fire Todd.

Old
04-27-2012, 03:55 PM
CupfortheSharks

Quote:
DW is a delegater, always has been. He expects Todd to run this team....
I agree that DW delagates to Todd the day to day management of the team. I don't agree that this includes personnel decisions.

Quote:
I'm sure he has oversight on all hire's, but I doubt he veto's Todd's choices very often....
Yes. We agree that DW has the final say on all hires.

Quote:
I'm sure they talk, and DW makes his opinion known to Todd, but I would be shocked if he forced Todd to fire his assistants because that would be Wilson saying "You don't know what you are doing, so I am going to do it for you" in which case, he would simply fire Todd.
I don't think DW manages like that either.

I expect its more like: OK Todd. Here are the areas we have agreed that the coaching staff needs to improve to get us to the cup. Put together a plan and convince me that you can get it done with the current staff....or convince me that we need to make a change and bring on a different assistant.

It comes from Todd, but DW makes the final call. Just like with player decisions. The reccomendations come from the scouting department, but DW makes the final call that they are going to trade up to get that Couture kid.

Old
04-27-2012, 04:42 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
I agree that DW delagates to Todd the day to day management of the team. I don't agree that this includes personnel decisions.

Yes. We agree that DW has the final say on all hires.

I don't think DW manages like that either.

I expect its more like: OK Todd. Here are the areas we have agreed that the coaching staff needs to improve to get us to the cup. Put together a plan and convince me that you can get it done with the current staff....or convince me that we need to make a change and bring on a different assistant.

It comes from Todd, but DW makes the final call. Just like with player decisions. The reccomendations come from the scouting department, but DW makes the final call that they are going to trade up to get that Couture kid.
You are arguing something different than what I am arguing. I am arguing DW would not order Todd to FIRE his assistants. You are arguing he is involved in the HIRING. Those are very different things. I agree with you on the hiring, I disagree on the firing. Ordering someone to fire their subordinates is micro-managing, babysitting, proving you have no faith in their decision making. Todd should be held accountable for his choices, and they clearly were his choices when they were hired, not DW's.

Old
04-27-2012, 06:14 PM
CupfortheSharks

I'm going to stop because I must not be able to effectivly communicate my point of view. I don't think what we're saying is that far off but clearly we look at it in much different ways.

Old
04-27-2012, 11:21 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

sjsharkie: do you want THIS GUY fixing your power lines? (photo: silicon valley power). http://t.co/b7SK8ocB

Old
04-28-2012, 11:46 AM
AbsolonMoreau*

Justin Braun is on the USA team for this year's World Championships!

Old
04-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Sharks Piece on Braun

Braun Added to 2012 U.S. Men's National Team

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=629967

Old
04-28-2012, 04:34 PM
StalockSuperfan

Woo! Boost that trade value!

(sort of)

Old
04-28-2012, 10:26 PM
sjshark91

He was added for his toughness.

Old
04-28-2012, 11:36 PM
one2gamble

anyone get fired yet....

Old
04-29-2012, 12:46 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
anyone get fired yet....
Way too early to hear anything.

DW may not have had his meeting with owners yet.

I'm guessing the earliest we'll hear something will be 5/1. Thinking that it may be later (circa 5/15) before anything really happens.

Did my annual "roll over" of "waiver exemptions".

Per my calculations, the following players currently on NHL contracts are still exempt from waivers:

• Acolatse
  • Doherty
  • Gogol
  • Heemskerk
  • Irwin
  • Kennedy
  • Livingston
  • Lucia
  • Marcou
  • Masinter
  • Oleksuk
  • Petrechi
  • Reid
  • Sateri
  • Sexsmith
  • Stalberg
  • Stalock
  • Tennyson
  • Viedensky
  • Wingels (27 games)
(Plus any of the kids from the CHL that will be playing in AHL or NHL next season, e.g., Abeltschauser, Anderson, Hamilton.)

(So, of the players on the NHL roster at the end of the playoffs, only FOUR are exempt, and two of them are goalies.)

Old
04-29-2012, 11:55 AM
one2gamble

I am not renewing if the staff doesnt get the axe. I can deal with DW for another year or two, at least until the Sharkpocolpse in 2014 but I cannot deal with this staff.

Old
04-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Franchise13

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
I am not renewing if the staff doesnt get the axe. I can deal with DW for another year or two, at least until the Sharkpocolpse in 2014 but I cannot deal with this staff.
Our company did not renew our lease with HP for the suites, opted for At&t for this season. Going to go all in on the Niners new stadium as well (saving cash now etc) from what I gather other companies are following suit as well.

Old
04-29-2012, 02:13 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise13 View Post
Our company did not renew our lease with HP for the suites, opted for At&t for this season. Going to go all in on the Niners new stadium as well (saving cash now etc) from what I gather other companies are following suit as well.
I cant imagine the suite at the new Niners stadium isnt at least double if not triple what it is at HP. Though, depending on the company it may be more worthwhile to them.

Old
04-30-2012, 02:26 AM
StalockSuperfan

Well you're only buying 8 games as opposed to 41 right?

Old
04-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Franchise13

Quote:
Well you're only buying 8 games as opposed to 41 right?
Me and Mrs.'s personal Niners tixs are far more than anything SJ/HP has offered. The PSL alone was more than multiple seasons at Club Level at HP. It was nice because I was never going to be able to upgrade at a good upgrade/value otherwise at the Stick. People leave their niner tixs in their wills, so even when an STH passes, it may not hit the market. I've posted it before, but PSLs are actually a decent investment most of the time. If the Sharks ever start to slip financially it's an option they should consider. They have enough affluent clientele/companies willing to support it I think. If the Sharks ever go to a new facility w/i the next decade it will be paid for in part by a bridge loan in the form of PSLs...

I may not have an accurate pulse of the situation, but something tells me the Sharks aren't as fiscally healthy as other teams. Not saying they are in bad shape, but the cap can't keep going up. Just speculating, though I'm sure some of you have seen signs as well.

It would require a better TV contract as well as other huge changes, but I'd love to see SJ on the budgetary level as Detroit and NYR. Not quite sure it's possible in a such a saturated sports market where the team is markedly behind already.

The suite at the SC stadium is ridiculously priced, but there's a wait list and companies are/have bid against each other already. Combine that with a sweat heart deal the Niners got with Goldman Sachs and the NFL's/Niners TV contracts the Niners' financial futures is in really good shape.

Last edited by Franchise13: 04-30-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old
04-30-2012, 02:12 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Sharks lease @ HPP runs until 2023 (30 years).

Don't think there will be new facility until at least then.

"JD" (Demers?), TJ and Winnik off to Southeast Asia today per twitter.

Old
04-30-2012, 02:46 PM
Chaotic8
Boarding Major

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
"JD" (Demers?), TJ and Winnik off to Southeast Asia today per twitter.
Hangover v2.01

Closed Thread