HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sharks News/Notes 9

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-07-2011, 07:15 PM
  #51
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!
 
Negatively Positive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,813
vCash: 628
Winchester can't win board battles and he's not a scoring threat. This just means they'll triple team Pavs whenever Jumbo has the puck behind the net so this doesn't help the top line score at all. Marleau is not gonna do jack on the third line either so this is dumb. Maybe it will get Marleau to skate hard again because he would have to make up for Handzus's lack of speed?

Negatively Positive is offline  
Old
12-07-2011, 07:31 PM
  #52
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,094
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Fin Soup View Post
Winchester can't win board battles and he's not a scoring threat. This just means they'll triple team Pavs whenever Jumbo has the puck behind the net so this doesn't help the top line score at all. Marleau is not gonna do jack on the third line either so this is dumb. Maybe it will get Marleau to skate hard again because he would have to make up for Handzus's lack of speed?
If Wincester just parks his ass in front of the net, the other team is almost obligated to cover him.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
12-07-2011, 07:35 PM
  #53
Clowe Me
Registered User
 
Clowe Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 530
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 16,554
vCash: 50
Not that it will ever happen, but who else has thought what this team might play like with randy Carlyle as coach?

Clowe Me is offline  
Old
12-07-2011, 07:36 PM
  #54
WTFetus
Moderator
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Not that it will ever happen, but who else has thought what this team might play like with randy Carlyle as coach?
I don't think personalities like Marleau, Thornton, and Burns would fit in too well with Carlyle's demeanor. I am however, completely for hiring Hedican as the defensive coach. I'm pretty sure he was the first analyst to call-out the horrible 1-1-2 in the playoffs. He also openly stated he isn't impressed with White's play and Vandermeer should play a lot more.

WTFetus is offline  
Old
12-07-2011, 07:41 PM
  #55
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,094
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I don't think personalities like Marleau, Thornton, and Burns would fit in too well with Carlyle's demeanor. I am however, completely for hiring Hedican as the defensive coach. I'm pretty sure he was the first analyst to call-out the horrible 1-1-2 in the playoffs. He also openly stated he isn't impressed with White's play and Vandermeer should play a lot more.
Mike Grier for PK coach.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
12-07-2011, 07:43 PM
  #56
WTFetus
Moderator
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJuxtaposer View Post
Mike Grier for PK coach.
Hedican's PK system of the wingers acting like pistons (back-and-forth movement, pressuring the D and back but never leaving the shooting lane) seems a lot better than whatever they are doing right now.

WTFetus is offline  
Old
12-07-2011, 07:47 PM
  #57
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,094
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Hedican's PK system of the wingers acting like pistons (back-and-forth movement, pressuring the D and back but never leaving the shooting lane) seems a lot better than whatever they are doing right now.
Agreed. Agreed x100. Man. Anything would be an improvement from what we have now though.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
12-07-2011, 07:51 PM
  #58
SactoShork
The Youth Movement
 
SactoShork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 9,554
vCash: 50
4 Sumo penalty killers?!?!

SactoShork is offline  
Old
12-07-2011, 08:03 PM
  #59
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,405
vCash: 500
If only we still had Setoguchi to put him on defense...

Kitten Mittons is offline  
Old
12-07-2011, 08:30 PM
  #60
sjshark91
Registered User
 
sjshark91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 23,575
vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
If only we still had Setoguchi to put him on defense...
He's got one leg now.

sjshark91 is offline  
Old
12-07-2011, 09:59 PM
  #61
Gilligans Island
Registered User
 
Gilligans Island's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SF/Bay Area
Posts: 7,879
vCash: 500
TMac also said Patty adds "speed" to the 3rd line with Zeus and McGinn. Well, Torrey is fast so I guess what TMac's really saying is Torrey isn't getting his job done on the 3rd line and doesn't think he'd add any value to the 1st line.

If that isn't a sign to DW that Torrey needs to replaced, I don't know what is.

Gilligans Island is offline  
Old
12-07-2011, 10:31 PM
  #62
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,405
vCash: 500
Stupid Logan:


Kitten Mittons is offline  
Old
12-08-2011, 12:08 AM
  #63
slocal
Global Moderator
Grübermeister
 
slocal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Osos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Stupid Logan:

Is that some sort of pimp chalice nest to it? Jeez, haha

__________________

"there's nothing good about dubstep." - The Nemesis
slocal is offline  
Old
12-08-2011, 12:21 AM
  #64
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:
 
Mafoofoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 12,842
vCash: 500
Logan totally considers himself a straight up thug. I thought we established this.

Mafoofoo is offline  
Old
12-08-2011, 01:33 AM
  #65
sjshark91
Registered User
 
sjshark91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 23,575
vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Logan totally considers himself a straight up thug. I thought we established this.
LOL it's true, his body guard is Clowe.

sjshark91 is offline  
Old
12-08-2011, 11:41 AM
  #66
SharksFailToClear
Registered User
 
SharksFailToClear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 146
vCash: 500
I don't get the line changes.

Marleau is in a slump. He gets moved to center. Has his best games of the season. Gets moved back to wing. Is in another slump. Why not leave him at center?

If Winchester much faster than clowe? I wouldn't mind seeing a Havlat Marleau Couture line, but it would leave clowe on the top line with the Joes. Can't be worse than winchester.

Other than that. If someone is going to get moved up from the bottom 6 I think it should be Mcginn. His offensive game has looked better lately. That would still mean someone from the top 6 moves down. I don't really have an answer to that, I guess I would vote Havlat.

SharksFailToClear is offline  
Old
12-08-2011, 11:53 AM
  #67
bleedteal12
Registered User
 
bleedteal12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 2,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brototype View Post
I don't get the line changes.

Marleau is in a slump. He gets moved to center. Has his best games of the season. Gets moved back to wing. Is in another slump. Why not leave him at center?

If Winchester much faster than clowe? I wouldn't mind seeing a Havlat Marleau Couture line, but it would leave clowe on the top line with the Joes. Can't be worse than winchester.

Other than that. If someone is going to get moved up from the bottom 6 I think it should be Mcginn. His offensive game has looked better lately. That would still mean someone from the top 6 moves down. I don't really have an answer to that, I guess I would vote Havlat.
Because Havlat was sucking balls when not paired with Clowe and Couture. Since Marleau can produce at both center and wing, he was moved back up tot he first in order to get Havlat started again. If I (and I'm sure Marleau as well) had my druthers, I'd keep him at center, but because of the ways the lines work out, it's either Marleau producing at an accelerated rate and Havlat not at all, or both Marleau and Havlat producing.

McGinn shouldn't move anywhere yet. I too think his game has improved exponentially, but he's found his groove alongside Handzus. Breaking them up would more than likely prove to be disastrous.

bleedteal12 is offline  
Old
12-08-2011, 12:00 PM
  #68
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,094
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by brototype View Post
I don't get the line changes.

Marleau is in a slump. He gets moved to center. Has his best games of the season. Gets moved back to wing. Is in another slump. Why not leave him at center?

If Winchester much faster than clowe? I wouldn't mind seeing a Havlat Marleau Couture line, but it would leave clowe on the top line with the Joes. Can't be worse than winchester.

Other than that. If someone is going to get moved up from the bottom 6 I think it should be Mcginn. His offensive game has looked better lately. That would still mean someone from the top 6 moves down. I don't really have an answer to that, I guess I would vote Havlat.
It's because Marleau and Clowe without Couture have absolutely no chemistry. That hatty that Patty had "on the second line" was a powerplay goal with JP/JT, tip-in from Vlasic, and an EN. None of them came from Havlat or Clowe. I propose:

Pavelski-Thornton-Havlat
Clowe-Couture-Marleau

and hope that Pavs or Havlat can play their off wing. Thornton works best with only one sniper on his line at a time, so we give him a speedy puck-possession type. And Marleau can go back to center without disrupting Clowture.

And a little OT, but is it just me or has Clowey not been throwing the body around at all or being mean or physical at all? Because I just don't notice him at all, and last year even when he wasn't scoring he'd be making an impact in every game.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
12-08-2011, 12:06 PM
  #69
bleedteal12
Registered User
 
bleedteal12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 2,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJuxtaposer View Post
It's because Marleau and Clowe without Couture have absolutely no chemistry. That hatty that Patty had "on the second line" was a powerplay goal with JP/JT, tip-in from Vlasic, and an EN. None of them came from Havlat or Clowe. I propose:

Pavelski-Thornton-Havlat
Clowe-Couture-Marleau

and hope that Pavs or Havlat can play their off wing. Thornton works best with only one sniper on his line at a time, so we give him a speedy puck-possession type. And Marleau can go back to center without disrupting Clowture.

And a little OT, but is it just me or has Clowey not been throwing the body around at all or being mean or physical at all? Because I just don't notice him at all, and last year even when he wasn't scoring he'd be making an impact in every game.
Havlat doesn't do much without being with Clowe and Couture, but might as well. We've tried everything else.

I've noticed Clowe's relative reluctance to hit as well. Maybe there's some lingering shoulder problems? I mean, he got surgery, but our offseason was short, and his injury was severe. Maybe he's still feeling it?

bleedteal12 is offline  
Old
12-09-2011, 01:48 AM
  #70
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
Life as a Sharks fan
 
SpinTheBlackCircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 32,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
We'd ***** if he did nothing. We'll ***** about this.

Gotta shake it up.

Crosby skates with Chris Kunitz and Pascal Dupuis. I think we can give Brad Winchester a game up there.
Safe to see, game 1 worked out ok.

__________________
Gots all my pertinence on it and such
SpinTheBlackCircle is online now  
Old
12-09-2011, 03:02 PM
  #71
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 55,263
vCash: 500
Bakes_Jamie13 12:12pm via Twitter for iPad On AirShark on route to STL. Ruzzie is working on spreadsheets. I'm working on Friday Baker's Dozen & watching a movie #OnTheRoadBaby

LadyStanley is offline  
Old
12-09-2011, 06:55 PM
  #72
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 55,263
vCash: 500
http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=605673

Sharks Store announces their "12 days of Christmas" sales (during non-game hours), one per day

LadyStanley is offline  
Old
12-09-2011, 08:01 PM
  #73
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 55,263
vCash: 500
sjsharkie 5:28pm via TweetDeck still find it funny when i visit hi-tech companies & the receptionist asks for an ID... they dont when i turn around and point at my jersey.





LadyStanley is offline  
Old
12-09-2011, 09:24 PM
  #74
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:
 
Mafoofoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 12,842
vCash: 500
http://www.csnbayarea.com/pages/shar...3886263193-766

Preview of Everyday Jobs with Brent Burns


He goes to the Zoo in this one and McLellan makes a guest appearance!

Mafoofoo is offline  
Old
12-11-2011, 07:25 PM
  #75
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 55,263
vCash: 500
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=605934

Gary Suter (retired Shark) to be inducted into US Hockey Hall of Fame tomorrow. (Along with Doc Emerick, Chelios, Tkachuk, and Snider)

LadyStanley is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.