HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

I just played hockey (on topic).

Closed Thread

Old
09-19-2004, 09:54 PM
BCCHL inactive

vCash: 500
I just played hockey (on topic).

The minor hockey season is about to get underway here. My co-coach of the past four years got some ice time and a bunch of 14-16 year-old players out for a scrimmage, so I decided to play as well. I haven't played since I was 15, so my skill level was about right, and I had no hockey gear, so I just put on my ref pads along with a hockey jersey, gloves and a stick.

It was only an hour scrimmage, but it was my most enjoyable hour in years. Just being out there feeling the adrenaline running through my veins, feeling the ice crack at my feet, and most of all, feeling like I was born to do something, and I was in the midst of doing it. There is that, and the comraderie of being in the dressing room with a bunch of guys who all share the same passion for the game. There is no better feeling I have yet to experience than playing the game of hockey, and I have never, ever been paid to do it.

I thought to myself after we got off the ice; How can anybody whine and ***** about getting payed seven figures to play this game? Does professional hockey really make players into robots who lose their passion for the game?

Obviously, I am building up to take a shot at NHLPA members.

You guys are luckier than hell to be making a better living than the rest of us by playing the game that you once loved. If that love for the game is still there for you guys, accept a system that will work. If that means a salary cap, accept a f'ing salary cap.

To quote Nike, Bring It Back.

Old
09-19-2004, 09:58 PM
OlliMackBjugStud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
There is no better feeling I have yet to experience than playing the game of hockey, .
psst .... you gotta try sex .... you might change your mind, if its the right girl.

lol

dr

Old
09-19-2004, 10:40 PM
Douggy

There was a psychological study where they paid people to do some labourious task.

Some people got payed something dumb like $1.00/hour while the others got payed a fair wage.

At the end, they gave everyone a questionaire to determine how they liked the work and what they thought of it.

The people who got paid the least somehow enjoyed it the most! Their brains convinced themselves that if they're doing it for such little reward, then it much be fun or pleasurable.

I think its the same thing with these hockey players.

Old
09-19-2004, 10:54 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

I truly believe that most NHL players would accept a cap. Lots have come out and said they would, only to have the NHLPA Propaganda machine run in and save the day.

Old
09-20-2004, 01:08 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuzzi21
I truly believe that most NHL players would accept a cap. Lots have come out and said they would, only to have the NHLPA Propaganda machine run in and save the day.
Define "lots".

Old
09-20-2004, 09:23 AM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
Define "lots".
Five.. maybe six.

Old
09-20-2004, 10:06 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Pedersen
Five.. maybe six.
There is alot more, they are just towing the union line...

Closed Thread