HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

The 2011 Double-A Draft (sign-up, roster, picks, everything)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-20-2011, 05:16 PM
  #226
tony d
The franchise
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,214
vCash: 500
Garnish finishes off their lineup with Right Winger Milan Michalek, Left Winger Shjon Podein and Defenseman Marc Bergevin.

Right Winger Milan Michalek:



-306 Points in 480 Games
-4 20 Goal Seasons
-40 Career Power Play Goals

For more on Michalek click the following:

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...p?player=20927

Left Winger Shjon Podein:



Podein will provide Garnish with great defense coming off the bench. The 2001 King Clancy Trophy Winner was known as a valuable penatly killer throughout his NHL career.

More on Podein can be found here:

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...p?player=11305

Defenseman Marc Bergevin:



Bergevin was known for being a defense first guy during his NHL career, I look for him to do that coming off the bench with Garnish. He ranks 96th all-time in NHL history in Defensive Point Shares with 51.9.

More on Bergevin can be found here:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...bergema01.html

__________________

Last edited by tony d: 12-20-2011 at 05:44 PM.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 11:46 PM
  #227
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
We can ignore Cechmaneks international resume because he doesnt really have one. Atleast Cheveldae climbed a few levels come playoff time, Detorit didnt lose because of Cheveldae play, Phildelphia lost because of Cechmaneks.
Philly lost as a team, just like Detroit did, and the goalies deserved their share of the blame. Of course, when you score 2 goals in 5 games, as Philly did in 2002, there is no blaming your goalie. Cechmanek posted a .936 and won just one game!

Quote:
How Cechmanek got hart votes Ill never understand. His accolades in the czech league is the only reason I can see him favourable to Cheveldae.
because there was a lot of hype surrounding him, and because he was seen as changing things around in philly, finally giving them the goalie they needed. They had inconsistent .911 goaltending the year before he arrived, and he was .921 that year with practically the same roster.

Quote:
Edit: btw Cheveldaes backup was quality to the garbage Cechmanek played with. Which would explain your obscure stat that Cheveldae was only 4% better. Cheveldae competed with Essensa, Riendeau, Khabilbulin and Millen. Cechmanek had Boucher and rookies Eshe and Huet. Huet was better than Cechmanek in Kings imo tho never understand why they traded him and Bonk for Garon.
You can't be serious, man.

I'm not talking about Cheveldae's time in Winnipeg, why would you want to do that anyway? he was awful and even Khabibulin, who was a rookie and not considered anything special (i recall vividly) was badly outperforming him. If we're talking about Cheveldae we're talking about the 1991-1993 seasons, because aside from that he is a 47-63-16 goalie with a .882 sv%.

Cechmanek and Huet were basically even in LA, but again, that's not a season in which Cechmanek built his resume. His were the Philly years. The problem I have with what you're saying, is that Cheveldae's teammates in goal were so much better than Cechmanek's, and it makes up for the fact that he grossly outperformed his teammates compared to Cheveldae.

Esche and Boucher played almost all the non-Cechmanek games. On their careers they each averaged 6 sv% points below the league average. In Detroit, it was Riendeau, Hanlon and Millen. They averaged -5, -4 and +5 over their careers. This was a backup collection very marginally better than what Cechmanek had - certainly not enough to come close to explaining the 14-point gap that exists when they are compared to their understudies, and irrelevant to the 17-point gap that exists between their spreads vs the league average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
When did Marchment ever take an entire team off their game in the playoffs with his antics?

And you know, the fact that St. Louis' GM basically traded their entire second line for Butcher. Marchment was never that highly thought of.

To assume they are close to as valuable, you really have to milk their ice time numbers.
OK, I'll gladly do that then. I'm pretty comfortable with that considering it is reflective of their career long performances, and not little "snapshots".

Quote:
As for the "two drafts" thing, it's not like all that many similar defensemen were actually drafted between them.
I agree. Because there aren't many guys with resumes that resemble these two so closely. Come on, they are incredibly similar!

I took a couple pics of two scouting reports. One of them is Butcher's from 1991, the other from Marchment in 1997, both when they were at what I think was the height of their skills. You read these over, and try to tell me that one was considered significantly better or more valuable, or even just different in any significant way.





Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
The Engineers draft their coaching staff, a tandem of very successful coaches.



Karel Gut,
In case you are wondering, his IIHF record is 54-17-5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Defenseman Marc Bergevin:



Bergevin was known for being a defense first guy during his NHL career, I look for him to do that coming off the bench with Garnish. He ranks 96th all-time in NHL history in Defensive Point Shares with 51.9.

More on Bergevin can be found here:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...bergema01.html
Point shares are useless, and Bergevin earned his really through longevity. he was not a high icetime player.

Anyway, I think with his longevity as a mediocre player he is really comparable to Albelin, so I thought I'd compare the two.

Bergevin: 16.96 minutes per game in approximately 733 GP for playoff teams. 18.58 minutes per game in approximately 458 GP for non-playoff teams.

Strange that he played less than Albelin did when on bad teams, and more than Albelin did for good teams, hey? I say, not really. Sometimes when Bergevin was on a good team he still got pretty decent minutes, like when he was on the Pens, and stocking up the defense corps was not a priority. Or when the Blues had just Pronger and MacInnis, and he was the best of "everyone else".

For his career he averaged 17.58 per game, for teams with a weighted GF/GA ratio of 0.97. Albelin averaged 18.72 for teams with a weighted ratio of 1.04.

Bergevin played until he was 38, but got into more games than Albelin, who played until he was 40. Longevity and the effect of GP past prime is probably a wash when talking about these two. Looks like Albelin did a lot more in his 80+ playoff games too, most notably scoring over double the points and winning two cups.

Bergevin was one of hockey's true "good guys" though, and I think his locker room presence kept him around more than his skill. I would have considered him to be a #7 for my A team because of that and, as you know, I do respect longevity.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:50 AM
  #228
Hobnobs
Pinko
 
Hobnobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Philly lost as a team, just like Detroit did, and the goalies deserved their share of the blame. Of course, when you score 2 goals in 5 games, as Philly did in 2002, there is no blaming your goalie. Cechmanek posted a .936 and won just one game!



because there was a lot of hype surrounding him, and because he was seen as changing things around in philly, finally giving them the goalie they needed. They had inconsistent .911 goaltending the year before he arrived, and he was .921 that year with practically the same roster.



You can't be serious, man.

I'm not talking about Cheveldae's time in Winnipeg, why would you want to do that anyway? he was awful and even Khabibulin, who was a rookie and not considered anything special (i recall vividly) was badly outperforming him. If we're talking about Cheveldae we're talking about the 1991-1993 seasons, because aside from that he is a 47-63-16 goalie with a .882 sv%.

Cechmanek and Huet were basically even in LA, but again, that's not a season in which Cechmanek built his resume. His were the Philly years. The problem I have with what you're saying, is that Cheveldae's teammates in goal were so much better than Cechmanek's, and it makes up for the fact that he grossly outperformed his teammates compared to Cheveldae.

Esche and Boucher played almost all the non-Cechmanek games. On their careers they each averaged 6 sv% points below the league average. In Detroit, it was Riendeau, Hanlon and Millen. They averaged -5, -4 and +5 over their careers. This was a backup collection very marginally better than what Cechmanek had - certainly not enough to come close to explaining the 14-point gap that exists when they are compared to their understudies, and irrelevant to the 17-point gap that exists between their spreads vs the league average.
No philly lost because the team broke down after Cechmanek let in soft goals. Everyone who watched that playoff series remembers that. To say that Philly didnt provide as a team is a ridiculous statement. They outshot or had equal amounts of shots as Ottawa and they provided the defense Cechmanek needed. The series would have gone to 7 games if they both had a solid goalie.

and Hanlon was a semi back up for one season. The difference is that Detroit used Cheveldae for between 65-72 games, Cechmanek played 59 at most.

btw. in that "good" playoff in 02, Boucher had a better sv% than Cechmanek. I find SA abit more fair to use here. Cheveldae faced between 1716-1978 shots in his 3 seasons as a starter for Detroit (wow your notion about average goalie behind a great defense took a serious hit here). Cechmanek never faced more than 1349 shots.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 04:00 AM
  #229
Hobnobs
Pinko
 
Hobnobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,231
vCash: 500
Michigan Wolverines finishes up their team with:

Bob Essensa, G



Mikael Samuelsson, RW



and Lee Norwood, D


Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 06:08 AM
  #230
tony d
The franchise
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,214
vCash: 500
Really good to see Essesna picked, one of my favourite goalies of the 90's, much better than Tim Cheveldae IMO. If I had gone with 3 goalies Essesna would have been one of my top choices for the 3rd goalie.

As a side note had lots of fun with this the year, it's been a pleasure to do this and get to talk to different people on the board. As it is I will be sitting out the A draft to enjoy Christmas and to prepare myself for the ATD in January.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 06:27 AM
  #231
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18,038
vCash: 500
You have ONLY until the end of Thursday to ADD/DROP if you really need to. DROP someone then ADD someone in a post.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 06:42 AM
  #232
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18,038
vCash: 500
Your 2011 Rensselaer Engineers



GMs: Hedberg & VanIslander
coaches Karel Gut & Dick Carroll

Josef Augusta - Ernie McLea - Eduard Novak
Miroslav Vlach - Jorgen Jonsson (A) - Jan Klapac
Randy Cunneyworth (A) - Skinner Poulin - Eddie Wares
Tuomo Ruutu - Irek Gimayev - Jeff Halpern
Jaroslav Drobny, Edgar Dey

Herbert Russell (C) - Toni Lydman
Kris Letang - Wilf Loughlin
Petteri Nummelin - Gord Lane
Tapio Levo

Ron Grahame
Bohumil Modry

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 06:55 AM
  #233
Hobnobs
Pinko
 
Hobnobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,231
vCash: 500
Your 2011 Michigan Wolverines



Hobnobs and jkrx

Viktor Kozlov - Stan Weir (A)- Gord Pettinger
Chuck Lefley - Travis Green - Mikael Samuelsson
Mike Eagles - Dean Evason - Mikael Andersson
Jarkko Ruutu - Chris Oddleifson - Joey Kocur

Jay Wells (C) - Alexander Edler
Horace Merrill - Tommy Albelin
Rick Zombo - Rich Pilon (A)
Lee Norwood

Bob Essensa
Tim Cheveldae
Willard Ikola

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 10:11 AM
  #234
tony d
The franchise
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,214
vCash: 500
The 2011 Garnish Bulldogs:

Coach: Arne Stromberg

Martin Rucinsky-Chris Gratton-Petri Skriko
Brent Ashton-John Tucker (A)-Trent Klatt
Sergio Momesso-Darren Turcotte-Dainius Zubrus
Greg Terrion-Alan Haworth-Dave Mcilwain

Extras: Shjon Podein and Milan Michalek

John Michael Liles-Craig Muni (C)
Brian Benning-Brooks Oprik (A)
Konrad Johanssen-Steve Konroyd

Extras: Doug Halward and Marc Bergevin

Urpo Ylonen
Rick Wamsley

PP 1: Martin Rucinsky, Chris Gratton, Petri Skriko, John Michael Liles, John Tucker
PP 2: Brent Ashton, Darren Turcotte, Dainius Zubrus, Brian Benning, Brooks Orpik
PK 1: Sergio Momesso, Trent Klatt, Brooks Orpik, Craig Muni
PK 2: Greg Terrion, Dave Mcilwain, Brian Benning, Steve Konroyd


Last edited by tony d: 12-22-2011 at 07:26 PM.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 10:11 AM
  #235
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
wow your notion about an average goalie behind a great defense took a serious hit here)
Did it? You just said yourself that Cechmanek was playing fewer games. then you go and quote raw shot totals without any context. You completely ignored two things:

1. That Cheveldae played more games, which of course means he would face more shots (which you mentioned seconds earlier) 2. That the league average for shots per game dropped by almost 10% from the 1991-1993 period to 2001-2003.

Cheveldae faced 28.60 shots per 60 minutes, 5% below the league average of 30.11 over this period. Cechmanek faced 25.34 shots per game, 8% below the league average of 27.53 over that period. Practically the exact same advantage. (side note, there is not a connection between shots against and sv% anyway, most people argue the opposite of what you're saying, that it's hard for a low shot goalie like Brodeur to have a high sv%, you are now arguing that it was harder for Cheveldae because he had more shots, showing that as far as shot totals and sv% are concerned, people will just take the side that is convenient for them)

In other words, both teams made their goalies look better than they were. Detroit took an average goalie and made him look good. Philly took a good goalie and made him look like a 2nd all-star and hart candidate.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 10:54 AM
  #236
Hobnobs
Pinko
 
Hobnobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Did it? You just said yourself that Cechmanek was playing fewer games. then you go and quote raw shot totals without any context. You completely ignored two things:

1. That Cheveldae played more games, which of course means he would face more shots (which you mentioned seconds earlier) 2. That the league average for shots per game dropped by almost 10% from the 1991-1993 period to 2001-2003.

Cheveldae faced 28.60 shots per 60 minutes, 5% below the league average of 30.11 over this period. Cechmanek faced 25.34 shots per game, 8% below the league average of 27.53 over that period. Practically the exact same advantage. (side note, there is not a connection between shots against and sv% anyway, most people argue the opposite of what you're saying, that it's hard for a low shot goalie like Brodeur to have a high sv%, you are now arguing that it was harder for Cheveldae because he had more shots, showing that as far as shot totals and sv% are concerned, people will just take the side that is convenient for them)

In other words, both teams made their goalies look better than they were. Detroit took an average goalie and made him look good. Philly took a good goalie and made him look like a 2nd all-star and hart candidate.

Philly took an average goalie and made him look like an all-star. Dont give me crap that he was good. He actually never proved he was good (again NHL only). He played for one of the teams that had the most solid defense in the league.

I would say if you face more shots and play more games you would wear out. Cheveldae however raised his game in the playoff while Cechmanek did the exact opposite. Now when it comes to accolades from other areas of Cechmaneks carrer I dont see too many. He was voted best goalie in the czech league once playing for a great team that won 5 titles and on the international scene he has a best goalie title from sweden hockey games. Now he was pretty good for the Czechs in 97 but again let in soft goals.

Is this really what would make him an MLD goalie? Sorry but he is not, nor is he unquestionable better than Cheveldae, a backup in the AA. However if you want a goalie to let in soft goals Cechmanek is undoubtly the man.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:09 PM
  #237
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,007
vCash: 500
crap goalies don't finish top-4 in save% three times. I agree he wasn't as good as those numbers made him look but he was good. Cheveldae couldn't even make top-10, he didn't even approach the league average! It's night and day.

As for their defense corps, you should really look into these things before you say stuff like that. Philly was good on defense, but not great, either. Here are the top-7 defensemen in GP during Cechmanek's time with the team, in order: Desjardins, Therien, McGillis, Johnsson, Weinrich, Richardson, McAllister. Most of the others who saw some game scattered here and there were scrubs. Here are Detroit's top-7 from 1991-1994: Chiasson, Lidstrom, Konstantinov, McCrimmon, Racine, Coffey, Howe. Also they had a lot of players better than scrubs as part timers in this period: Zombo, Marsh, Carkner, Green, Crossman, Konroyd and Norwood.

You're missing a lot of stuff on Cechmanek too. He was not the top goalie just once in the Czech league. It was five times - 1995, 96, 97, 98, 99.

I don't see anyone else jumping to ol' Chevy's defense here.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:22 PM
  #238
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 39,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I took a couple pics of two scouting reports. One of them is Butcher's from 1991, the other from Marchment in 1997, both when they were at what I think was the height of their skills. You read these over, and try to tell me that one was considered significantly better or more valuable, or even just different in any significant way.



They sound similar but...

There is talk about how Butcher is usually smart enough to know how to play within his limitations. Marchment "has started making better decisions." Butcher can be forced into making mistakes, Marchment makes mistakes on his own. So yeah, Butcher is a slightly better version. But....

Read the intangibles part, which is why Butcher was drafted in the MLD. It mentions how he's a "good team player" and goes on about how he creates power plays for his own team with his yapping and smarts. That is why he was drafted in the MLD. Marchment doesn't have those qualities.

Marchment seems like a good pick now. In most aspects, he's only very slightly behind Butcher. But he doesn't fill the same role specific role that Butcher could.


Quote:
Bergevin was one of hockey's true "good guys" though, and I think his locker room presence kept him around more than his skill. I would have considered him to be a #7 for my A team because of that and, as you know, I do respect longevity.
And that "locker room presence" could be exactly what someone is looking for from a #6 defenseman, just like someone might look for certain attributes from a 4th liner.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 01:39 PM
  #239
Hobnobs
Pinko
 
Hobnobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
crap goalies don't finish top-4 in save% three times. I agree he wasn't as good as those numbers made him look but he was good. Cheveldae couldn't even make top-10, he didn't even approach the league average! It's night and day.

As for their defense corps, you should really look into these things before you say stuff like that. Philly was good on defense, but not great, either. Here are the top-7 defensemen in GP during Cechmanek's time with the team, in order: Desjardins, Therien, McGillis, Johnsson, Weinrich, Richardson, McAllister. Most of the others who saw some game scattered here and there were scrubs. Here are Detroit's top-7 from 1991-1994: Chiasson, Lidstrom, Konstantinov, McCrimmon, Racine, Coffey, Howe. Also they had a lot of players better than scrubs as part timers in this period: Zombo, Marsh, Carkner, Green, Crossman, Konroyd and Norwood.

You're missing a lot of stuff on Cechmanek too. He was not the top goalie just once in the Czech league. It was five times - 1995, 96, 97, 98, 99.

I don't see anyone else jumping to ol' Chevy's defense here.
Cool that you only mention defensemen like that defines how good a team is defensively. That defensive corp is btw pretty good for a clutch and grab era team. Might wanna include the forward corps of Recchi, Ranheim, Hull, Williams, Fedotenko, Handzus, Primeau, Manderville etc etc. So yes they were one of the bestteams defensively. Red Wings with Chevi were solid too not just as solid.

You are right, crap goalies dont and he wasnt crap during the regular season mostly. He's like Ron Tugnutt in that regard. Solid but should never carry a team unless its a small second tier tournament.

I also love how you include Coffey into a team defense argument. Btw they played a grand total of 60 games together. Chevi played with rookie+ Lidström, Konstantinov, Racine, a young Chiasson and the only consistant vet were McCrimmon. Then we have Howe, Dollas(!), Zombo, Marsh. Funny how you bring up Norwoods less than 20 games with Chevi.

Majority argument? Really? Is this what you are reduced to now?

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:24 PM
  #240
vecens24
Registered User
 
vecens24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
Cool that you only mention defensemen like that defines how good a team is defensively. That defensive corp is btw pretty good for a clutch and grab era team. Might wanna include the forward corps of Recchi, Ranheim, Hull, Williams, Fedotenko, Handzus, Primeau, Manderville etc etc. So yes they were one of the bestteams defensively. Red Wings with Chevi were solid too not just as solid.

You are right, crap goalies dont and he wasnt crap during the regular season mostly. He's like Ron Tugnutt in that regard. Solid but should never carry a team unless its a small second tier tournament.

I also love how you include Coffey into a team defense argument. Btw they played a grand total of 60 games together. Chevi played with rookie+ Lidström, Konstantinov, Racine, a young Chiasson and the only consistant vet were McCrimmon. Then we have Howe, Dollas(!), Zombo, Marsh. Funny how you bring up Norwoods less than 20 games with Chevi.

Majority argument? Really? Is this what you are reduced to now?
I do not see any legitimate argument that Cheveldae is better than Cechmanek. You've pretty much ignored every basic statistic that seventies has laid out for you to prove that they are better. Cechmanek would never be considered one of the least valuable members of the Flyers' history despite his awful playoff performances he was too good in the regular season to see that happen, however, here we have a list where Tim Cheveldae makes an appearance at #7:
http://blog.mlive.com/its-just-sport...ings_no_3.html

Quote:
We double up on mediocre goaltenders here. Cheveldae played parts of three full seasons with the Wings before being shipped out to Winnepeg in a trade that acquired Bob Essensa. In all fairness, Cheveldae was overworked when he became a full-time Wing, but had over a 3.00 goals-against average each season and never provided the goaltending to advance the Wings deep into the playoffs.
Basically they're making the same argument you're attempting to make for Cheveldae against him.

This one basically says all you need to know about Cheveldae: He had about a season and a half of worth, but nothing else that was anything outside of mediocre: http://scottywazz.blogspot.com/2009/...cheveldae.html

Quote:
It's was the Cheveldae era starting 1990-91 in Detroit, which was mediorce at best. While he showed spurts of hope, Cheveldae had a so-so year going 30-26-5 in his 65 games played in. That season, his GAA was solid at 3.55, but his save percentage was an atrocious .875 on the year. It would turn around for Cheveldae in the 1991-92 season, with Chevy playing 72 games for the Wings, playing better for a 38-23-9 season with an improved 3.20 GAA and .886 save percentage. His play in the first half of the season was enough to get him into the All-Star Game in 1992. The good time would continue for a bit for Cheveldae in the 1992-93 season, going 34-24-7 and improving his save percentage to .889, while his GAA was up a bit at 3.25. Yet, his luck would all change in the 1993-94 season.

The start of the 1993-94 season was an auspicious one, as almost 17 minutes into the season, Cheveldae went down to a knee injury. He would miss the next sixteen games and would come back after spending two games (1-0-1) in Adirondack. Cheveldae would spend another 29 games in Detroit going 16-9-1, but the Red Wings were unsure of their goaltending down the stretch, so they needed to make some changes.

On trade deadline day in 1994, the Red Wings dealt Cheveldae and Dallas Drake to the Winnipeg Jets for Bob Essensa and Sergei Bautin. Cheveldae would play 14 games that season with Winnipeg, going 5-8-1 to end out the 1993-94 season.

Because of the shortened season, Cheveldae got the nod as the starter for the 1994-95 season. In those 30 games he played, Chevy had a dismal 8-16-3 record with a so-so 3.70 GAA and "meh" .881 save percentage. The 1995-96 season saw Cheveldae step aside for Nikoali Khabibulin in net, which saw Cheveldae get only 30 games in, going 8-18-3 for the season.
So he has no playoff success, he has a mediocre regular season record, and he's better than Cechmanek, who came over at 30 years old after dominating the Czech league, finished fourth in Hart voting a year, tied for a Jennings a seperate year with Brodeur, finished 2nd in GAA three consecutive years, and top 4 in SV% three consecutive years? Can't see that being true. He has twice as many good years as Cheveldae (1.5 for Tim, 3 for Cechmanek), he peaked higher (in my opinion he probably has at least the top two years of the two, and I might be able to be convinced into thinking Cechmanek's 2002 was better than Cheveldae's 1992.

So Cechmanek has both the memory argument of people who saw them both, and also a statistic and voting record argument while neither have anything of a good playoff record. This is pretty much a no brainer to me.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:55 PM
  #241
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,007
vCash: 500
I'll leave it at that because I'm busy. Thanks vecens.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 04:13 PM
  #242
Hobnobs
Pinko
 
Hobnobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
I do not see any legitimate argument that Cheveldae is better than Cechmanek. You've pretty much ignored every basic statistic that seventies has laid out for you to prove that they are better. Cechmanek would never be considered one of the least valuable members of the Flyers' history despite his awful playoff performances he was too good in the regular season to see that happen, however, here we have a list where Tim Cheveldae makes an appearance at #7:
http://blog.mlive.com/its-just-sport...ings_no_3.html



Basically they're making the same argument you're attempting to make for Cheveldae against him.

This one basically says all you need to know about Cheveldae: He had about a season and a half of worth, but nothing else that was anything outside of mediocre: http://scottywazz.blogspot.com/2009/...cheveldae.html



So he has no playoff success, he has a mediocre regular season record, and he's better than Cechmanek, who came over at 30 years old after dominating the Czech league, finished fourth in Hart voting a year, tied for a Jennings a seperate year with Brodeur, finished 2nd in GAA three consecutive years, and top 4 in SV% three consecutive years? Can't see that being true. He has twice as many good years as Cheveldae (1.5 for Tim, 3 for Cechmanek), he peaked higher (in my opinion he probably has at least the top two years of the two, and I might be able to be convinced into thinking Cechmanek's 2002 was better than Cheveldae's 1992.

So Cechmanek has both the memory argument of people who saw them both, and also a statistic and voting record argument while neither have anything of a good playoff record. This is pretty much a no brainer to me.
Stats can only tell you so much and goalie stats is can at times be decieving or do you honestly believe that Cechmanek was top-5 most valueable player in the league? He wasnt even the top-5 goalie that year. I already said that Cechmanek was good, when it didnt matter. Come playoff time and Cechmanek was atrocious why do you think he left the league? Why do you think he couldnt find a regular spot on teams like Linköping in Sweden?

Its funny to read the_judge bio of him as he actively avoids all things concerning Cechmaneks playoff resumé.

Anyways it seems the board of ATD gods have spoken but I think I made a good argument for a AA backup vs. an MLD backup.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 05:17 PM
  #243
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
I didn't even think playoffs for the AA would have be necessary, not that I'm opposed to them at all, and it definitely would have those advantages. I just wonder how sincere we're going to be able to be in our judgments at this level. Having a more extensive all-star process could still let us go to bat for our guys, without it getting quite so messy
I am all for skipping the playoffs in the Double-A or just doing the Challenge Series format, where teams that want to be in a playoffs challenge another team and a thread is created for them to have at it! That way it'll probably be a one or two round playoffs instead of three, and even if every team joined, after one round there would be three remaining so a tiebreaking format could be agreed on to determine who gets a bye into the final, tourney style! (like the Memorial Cup does). Or we could indeed simply skip a playoffs at this level.

It is ironic that the two GMs who have questioned the possibility of skipping a playoffs in the Double-A draft are the exact two who haven't completed their roster (need to have all their picks listed and captains indicated): Bench Brawl and seventieslord!

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 05:43 PM
  #244
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18,038
vCash: 500
Friday is Voting Day for Regular Season Rankings (1st thru 6th). Send to Dave G.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 04:40 AM
  #245
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,236
vCash: 50
HC KRYLYA SOVETOV

GM: BenchBrawl
Coach: James Arthur Link
Captain: Juha Widing
Assistant: Tom Poti
Assistant: Ruslan Salei

Bob Berry - Juha Widing - Brad Boyes
Walt Poddubny - David Krejci - Bobby Ryan
Brooks Laich - Jay McClement - Michael Ryder
Alex Burrows - Paul Gaustad - Ryan Clowe
Spares: Jussi Jokinen , Rene Bourque

Ruslan Salei - Tom Poti
Karlis Skrastins - Dan Girardi
Joe Cirella - Dennis Wideman
Spares: Joe Corvo

Byron Dafoe
Michel Larocque
Mario Lessard

PP1: Berry - Widing - Ryder - Poti - Wideman
PP2: Poddubny - Krejci - Boyes - Salei - Wideman*
PK1: McClement - Burrows - Salei - Skrastins
PK2: Gaustad - Laich - Girardi - Cirella

* Wideman plays full powerplay or close to it.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 04:44 AM
  #246
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,236
vCash: 50
Fact about my first line:

Bob Berry and Juha Widing were teammates on the same line for many many years , even being called the ''bee line'' or the ''hot line'' depending on the other teammate on the line.This proves they had great chemistry and I'm thrilled to have such a thing on my first line.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 05:49 PM
  #247
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,236
vCash: 50
no action today? is everybody dead?

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 05:59 PM
  #248
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
no action today? is everybody dead?
Everybody is preparing

1. To vote Friday on the rankings, submitting 1st thru 6th to Dave G.
2. To assemble long lists of candidates to draft in the Single-A draft, to begin noon eastern Friday.

This Thursday is the one and only lull day between drafts, the eye of the storm! The next day with no commitments will be this year's last, New Year's Eve!

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 06:14 PM
  #249
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,236
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Everybody is preparing

1. To vote Friday on the rankings, submitting 1st thru 6th to Dave G.
2. To assemble long lists of candidates to draft in the Single-A draft, to begin noon eastern Friday.

This Thursday is the one and only lull day between drafts, the eye of the storm! The next day with no commitments will be this year's last, New Year's Eve!
ahaha I hear you , but in my opinion everybody is just getting drunk.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 06:16 PM
  #250
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
ahaha I hear you , but in my opinion everybody is just getting drunk.
That too! Pass the eggnog and rum.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.