HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Realignment passes -- 4 conferences, no East/West (PIT, PHI, NJ, NYR, NYI, CAR, WAS)

Old
12-05-2011, 10:53 AM
TopShelfGoal

vCash: 500
Realignment passes -- 4 conferences, no East/West (PIT, PHI, NJ, NYR, NYI, CAR, WAS)

Quote:
New four conference format gets approval by NHL B of G.
https://twitter.com/#!/TSNBobMcKenzi...72606246928386

Changes will take effect next season. Eastern Conference and Western Conference will no longer exist. Details here: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...ent/51663386/1

CONFIRMED:

Conference 1: PIT, PHI, NJ, NYR, NYI, CAR, WAS
Conference 2: BOS, BUF, MON, OTT, TOR, FLA, TB
Conference 3: CHI, DET, CBJ, STL, NAS, MIN, DAL, WPG
Conference 4: ANA, LA, SJ, PHX, EDM, CAL, COL, VAN

The top four teams in each of the four conferences will make the playoffs. The first two rounds will be held within the conference. No. 1 vs. No. 4 / No. 2 vs. No. 3.

The four conference champions will be reseeded 1-4 based on regular season points and play No. 1 vs. No. 4 / No. 2 vs. No. 3 for the final two rounds. So you could face a "Western" team in the semis and then an "Eastern" team in the Stanley Cup Final.

Regular season schedule will be a home-and-home against every team outside of your conference and the rest of the slate will be against teams in your conference. So for the Penguins, 46 games against the other three conferences and then six apiece against the old Patrick Division (plus the 'Canes).

Quote:
Realignment talk is going to dominate NHL discussion today and tomorrow and with the latest proposal being leaked out and discussed, there’s a few things to keep in mind while the Board of Governors meet in Pebble Beach to figure out which direction the league heads in.

1. Rivalries

The playoffs always help make a rivalry real. The NHL adopted an unbalanced schedule to force rivalries to happen and while that’s been nice, it hasn’t paid off. Going back to a balanced schedule and a playoff format with the top four teams in each conference facing each other first in the first two rounds is the right way to make it happen. Old hate becomes new hate and new hate is good for business.

2. The Phoenix Situation

This could be the final year we see the Coyotes play in Glendale. Deciding on realignment without knowing where the Coyotes could land next is tricky. Elliotte Friedman reports that their next location could be any of Seattle, Quebec City, Kansas City, or Las Vegas. If they move to Seattle or Vegas, fine. Kansas City or Quebec could create headaches. The NHL better have a backup plan for where the Coyotes can switch to just in case.

[cont...]

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...nment/related/
I don't mind the proposed re-alignment from a Pittsburgh POV, keeps our rivalries together.

Last edited by shureshot66: 12-05-2011 at 09:50 PM.
TopShelfGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopShelfGoal View Post

I don't mind the proposed re-alignment from a Pittsburgh POV, keeps our rivalries together.

Yah that's not a very different setup for us and adds the big rivalry of Washington and growing rivalry of Carolina. I could live with the new Atlantic.

If they go to plan C and swap Detroit (I don't think Columbus has any pull with the league at all), that will show how ****ing spineless NHL management is, cowering to Detroit's ownership. Whatever "agreement" he thinks he has, I know one thing about it: it's not official and it's not legally binding. The NHL can do whatever it thinks is best for the league, regardless of what Detroit thinks it was "promised. F that.

If they're going to do a one team move, there is one and ONLY one logical way to rebalance the SE division and that is to move Nashville to the SE and WPG to the Central. The end. It's not perfect but if your objective is to have some semblance of geographic logic both for purposes of rivalry and travel, Nashville is the only answer. The only way Detroit should go anywhere, is with the big re-alignment. If you have the big move then of course they should be grouped with regional teams.

The West Coast group is pretty logical and a good fit. As for PHX the league should force that situation to a head to figure where they're going, before they finalize the alignment plan. Would be typical NHL move to do all this work to re-align, and then have one team F it up because they didn't plan ahead.

The NE group is good and 100% proof Tampa and FLA shouldn't have teams / should have teams relocated to Canada. Quebec City and Halifax all the way. As with so many other forced experiments, get hockey out of Florida. It was a dumb idea from the start (that transplanted midwestern and NE retirees and working families would adopt Florida teams instead of keeping their allegiances).

The new Central is great. Chicago, Detroit, Columbus, Winnipeg all get a pretty good result / no one gets hosed on travel. Dallas' situation improves as much as it can be improved, short of having four new franchises in KC, Memphis, Oklahoma City and Houston. In short, they won't do any better.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:09 AM
BrookswasHere44

Can someone explain in english and cliffs notes exactly why TBL and Fl should/would be upset? Is it just travel?

BrookswasHere44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookswasHere44 View Post
Can someone explain in english and cliffs notes exactly why TBL and Fl should/would be upset? Is it just travel?
Yes. They would log more hours than the other teams because every game except those between FLA and TB is a long flight. Meanwhile the NE teams, every flight is short except FLA / TB. FLA will have a lot more time dealing with airports and transports while other teams will get those extra few hours at home or on the practice ice before road games. My answer to that is "tough ****". This is what happens when you plant hockey seeds in regions where the sport can't grow very much. Ultimately both teams should be relocated. TB only sells tickets when they're a playoff team and supposedly still has to engage in all kinds of gimmicks and giveaways to get people in seats, and until this year FLA had a half empty arena or worse most nights.

People can sit here and get indignant all they want and say "Floridians love hockey too" but the reality is, the sport is not even close to being on the radar in S. Florida. High school football is much bigger than the NHL, in S. Florida. That is a fact. The league can either accept it and the implications of that and move the franchises somewhere they'll be appreciated even during down years, or they can refuse to admit they made a mistake and continue on, forcing situations like this one.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:40 AM
wej20

Don't the Panthers have some sort of ridiculously long deal on their arena list making it impossible for them to move in the near future.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:47 AM

I would rather just see 2 Conferences but have schedulers even out travel schedules every year. Like if the Pens have to go and play TB a few times per year have it even out with trips to Columbus. Then have rotaions every year. It would showcase players better so the fans can get more games like Pens/ Caps, Pens/ Wings or Pens Blackhawks but we still get the Flyers and Rangers.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:48 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Tampa Bay gets good attendance but I think it's a good deal for Florida. They must get better attendance than usual when a Canadian team is in town, no?

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Don't the Panthers have some sort of ridiculously long deal on their arena list making it impossible for them to move in the near future.
Don't know but that's worth finding out. Then again good lawyers always have a way of weaseling out of contracts by suggesting various assumptions that went into the deal are no longer valid or fair or whatever, and they argue that it should be nullified or some clause of it nullified. If the league really wanted them out and the owner wanted out, they could find a way most likely.

Old
12-05-2011, 12:41 PM
wej20

Ideally Florida would move but it only makes sense if they can actually move them somewhere and make it work, no point moving them just to have to move them again in another 10 years.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
I like the idea of 4 conferences. You can think of them as 4 divisions, without conferences. Not sure how the playoff format would work though. I like the current playoff format.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 02:20 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

The new playoff format would be the top four from each conference would qualify. First two rounds stay within the conference, then each conference winner gets seeded 1-4 based on regular season record for the semis -- 1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3.

Regular season would be home-and-home against every team in the league, then the rest filled out against conference foes. So for the Pens, that would be 46 games out of conference and then six games apiece against Flyers, Rangers, Isles, Devils, Caps and Canes.

This is just one of two plans being debated. For those wondering, the Penguins are on board with the simple switch scenario of Winnipeg going west in exchange for (likely) Detroit. Each needs 20 out of 30 votes to pass and the speculation is that the more radical realignment may win out because it answers concerns -- Dallas, Detroit, Columbus and Winnipeg all get to play most of their games in the same time zone for a change.

The Pens would have their travel costs go up under the new plan, which might have something to do with their opposition to it. On the other hand, it's easier to make the playoffs out of one of the seven-team conferences.

I'd love to see them bring back Patrick, Adams, Norris and Smythe for the names while we're at it.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 02:29 PM
BrookswasHere44

I think im on board with the Peg going West and Columbus (less on board with Detroit) going East. Am i in the minority with that

Ill admit im not in know of the ins and outs on this topic but that seems the easiest scenario unless the league WANTS a major shakeup

BrookswasHere44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 02:48 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

We make out like bandits under this format, it's actually hilarious. I was freaking out a bit when the rumors were swirling about separating us and the Flyers, then I see this. We keep everyone we're used to AND we get the Caps? That's basically bliss if you're a Penguin fan. Keep our division, get the Caps back with us where they belong, and a home and home series against every team every season. All they'd have to do is go to the 3 point system and my complaining would decrease about 80%.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Ominous Grey

Like I said on the main board, I'm convinced this will be passed. It makes sense if they believe PHX to be headed to QC next year, and it pleases every owner to some extent.

My question - why would they willingly leave BOTH Columbus and Detroit in Central time zone games (the West)? This whole thing was supposed to be about them coming east. Not to mention that its a 14-16 split like this.

This will get approved, and they won't have anything to alter next season when PHX moves from west to east.

West A LA/ANA/SJ/VAN/CAL/EDM/COL
West B DET/CHI/StL/MIN/CBJ/DAL/NSH/WPG

7+8=15

East A MTL/TOR/OTT/BUF/BOS/TBL/FLA/QC
East B PIT/PHI/NYR/NYI/NJ/CAR/WSH

8+7=15

Last edited by Ominous Grey: 12-05-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Ominous Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 03:08 PM
Ominous Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
I'd love to see them bring back Patrick, Adams, Norris and Smythe for the names while we're at it.

Ominous Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 03:11 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiChi Vitale View Post
Yes. They would log more hours than the other teams because every game except those between FLA and TB is a long flight. Meanwhile the NE teams, every flight is short except FLA / TB. FLA will have a lot more time dealing with airports and transports while other teams will get those extra few hours at home or on the practice ice before road games. My answer to that is "tough ****". This is what happens when you plant hockey seeds in regions where the sport can't grow very much. Ultimately both teams should be relocated. TB only sells tickets when they're a playoff team and supposedly still has to engage in all kinds of gimmicks and giveaways to get people in seats, and until this year FLA had a half empty arena or worse most nights.

People can sit here and get indignant all they want and say "Floridians love hockey too" but the reality is, the sport is not even close to being on the radar in S. Florida. High school football is much bigger than the NHL, in S. Florida. That is a fact. The league can either accept it and the implications of that and move the franchises somewhere they'll be appreciated even during down years, or they can refuse to admit they made a mistake and continue on, forcing situations like this one.
People would have thought L.A. may have never worked long ago. Should they be getting screwed over too because they're in an area where "the sport can't grow very much"? Or no, because they're not a small market team? San Jose too?

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 03:13 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous Grey View Post
Like I said on the main board, I'm convinced this will be passed. It makes sense if they believe PHX to be headed to QC next year, and it pleases every owner to some extent.

My question - why would they willingly leave BOTH Columbus and Detroit in Central time zone games (the West)? This whole thing was supposed to be about them coming east. Not to mention that its a 14-16 split like this.

This will get approved, and they won't have anything to alter next season when PHX moves from west to east.

West A LA/ANA/SJ/VAN/CAL/EDM/COL
West B DET/CHI/StL/MIN/CBJ/DAL/NSH/WPG

7+8=15

East A MTL/TOR/OTT/BUF/BOS/TBL/FLA/QC
East B PIT/PHI/NYR/NYI/NJ/CAR/WSH

8+7=15
Well, there is no East and West in this proposal. Four separate conferences entirely instead of two. Columbus and Detroit would be going out to play on the west coast just as much as the Penguins would.

Old
12-05-2011, 03:15 PM
TertiaryAssist

I'd prefer it if only the top 2 or 3 teams in each conference were guaranteed the playoffs, with wild cards handed out to the remaining top teams league-wide.

TertiaryAssist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 03:17 PM
khaoskennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
The new playoff format would be the top four from each conference would qualify. First two rounds stay within the conference, then each conference winner gets seeded 1-4 based on regular season record for the semis -- 1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3.

Regular season would be home-and-home against every team in the league, then the rest filled out against conference foes. So for the Pens, that would be 46 games out of conference and then six games apiece against Flyers, Rangers, Isles, Devils, Caps and Canes.

This is just one of two plans being debated. For those wondering, the Penguins are on board with the simple switch scenario of Winnipeg going west in exchange for (likely) Detroit. Each needs 20 out of 30 votes to pass and the speculation is that the more radical realignment may win out because it answers concerns -- Dallas, Detroit, Columbus and Winnipeg all get to play most of their games in the same time zone for a change.

The Pens would have their travel costs go up under the new plan, which might have something to do with their opposition to it. On the other hand, it's easier to make the playoffs out of one of the seven-team conferences.

doesnt sound too bad, im just glad we're going to be in the same conference as our rivals

khaoskennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 03:18 PM
khaoskennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigo View Post
I'd prefer it if only the top 2 or 3 teams in each conference were guaranteed the playoffs, with wild cards handed out to the remaining top teams league-wide.
ya i think thatd be better too but that would mess up there conference playoffs idea

Old
12-05-2011, 03:23 PM
TertiaryAssist

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoskennedy View Post
ya i think thatd be better too but that would mess up there conference playoffs idea
Three guaranteed division playoff spots for each division guarantees at least four rivalry series in the first round; not too bad. If a team has only three contenders, the fifth in another division gets thrown in with them.

I only mention it because, as Puck Daddy said, we're in danger of seeing the same playoff matchups year after year. As great as, say, CHI-DET or PIT-WAS is to watch, the appeal will wear off if we see it too many times.

And there's the obvious point that a good team in a stacked division will get screwed out of a playoff spot in favor of a mediocre team from a weak division in this format. Look at the Atlantic/Patrick Division - out of seven teams, six have qualified for the playoffs multiple times since the lockout. And that's not a particularly unique situation.

TertiaryAssist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 03:34 PM
khaoskennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigo View Post
Three guaranteed division playoff spots for each division guarantees at least four rivalry series in the first round; not too bad. If a team has only three contenders, the fifth in another division gets thrown in with them.

I only mention it because, as Puck Daddy said, we're in danger of seeing the same playoff matchups year after year. As great as, say, CHI-DET or PIT-WAS is to watch, the appeal will wear off if we see it too many times.

And there's the obvious point that a good team in a stacked division will get screwed out of a playoff spot in favor of a mediocre team from a weak division in this format. Look at the Atlantic/Patrick Division - out of seven teams, six have qualified for the playoffs multiple times since the lockout. And that's not a particularly unique situation.
ya i agree, hopefully they do tweak that idea so good teams in the stacked/or bigger conferences dont get screwed

Old
12-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Also, why does the west get 16 teams, shouldn't the East get 16? There 17 or 18 (nashville?) teams in the eastern timezone.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 04:39 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
Also, why does the west get 16 teams, shouldn't the East get 16? There 17 or 18 (nashville?) teams in the eastern timezone.
The idea is that there would be no more Eastern Conference and Western Conference. Four separate "conferences", zero "divisions."

Old
12-05-2011, 05:12 PM
Dupree13

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
We make out like bandits under this format, it's actually hilarious. I was freaking out a bit when the rumors were swirling about separating us and the Flyers, then I see this. We keep everyone we're used to AND we get the Caps? That's basically bliss if you're a Penguin fan. Keep our division, get the Caps back with us where they belong, and a home and home series against every team every season. All they'd have to do is go to the 3 point system and my complaining would decrease about 80%.
I couldn't disagree more. I don't care much about rivalries, this isn't college football. I think competitively, this Atlantic is just as brutal as it gets. It's just stacked with some of the wealthiest and best run teams in the league. Would rather be in the Northeast any day.

Dupree13 is offline   Reply With Quote