HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Realignment passes -- 4 conferences, no East/West (PIT, PHI, NJ, NYR, NYI, CAR, WAS)

Old
12-05-2011, 11:42 PM
edog37

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Listening to Mears in the pre-show makes me question this move. He said this new realignment will actually cost the teams more in travel. I'm not okay with that at all. This was supposed to be done to help teams, not hinder them.

I'm not one to be smart in this function of the league. You guys know I'm going to stick w/ my x's and o's, but i'm not for making the cost go up.
the East had to give this up a little bit. The Western teams have absolutely brutal travel & this was the only way to make things more equitable.

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:46 PM
SkullSplitter

I hate this in so many ways.

It's less fair than the system is now.

Under this system in the 08/09 playoffs Florida (93 pts) & Buffalo (91 pts) would have made the playoffs while Carolina (97 pts) & the New York Rangers (95 points) would have missed the playoffs.

Yes in the 2 conference system crap like this happens, and with division winners crap like this happens, but with 4 conferences, it makes it even worse.

Not to mention the 7/8 discrepency.

Playoff seeding should be entirely by points. It's silly that it isn't.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:03 AM
Clarence Beeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Goldblum View Post
I'm going to guess that the average cost per team may go up, but that the difference between least and most costly travel will be much lower. The issue wasn't so much expense as it was an inequity in travel time and expense. Players know which teams have the easiest travelling, and that is a factor that UFAs take into consideration.
I've heard that as well, but I have to wonder (if it's true) if that is almost solely because of the fact that everyone will play in every single building every year component of this. I think you're definitely correct that the key issue was evening out the travel of the outliers (on both ends). Ultimately, though, a few teams are still going to get (relatively) screwed: Tampa Bay, Florida and Winnipeg. In the case of Tampa Bay and Florida, their travel will increase from what it is now and will be substantially more than the rest of their conference. In the case of Winnipeg, their travel will be substantially more than the rest of their conference. So, basically, at the end of the day it's just a shifting of who gets screwed from teams that are more "powerful" (i.e. Detroit) to teams that are less "powerful" (i.e. see above).

Clarence Beeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:16 AM
Kruncher11
a whole lotta grease

So for the next 5 years or so its going to be Pens, Caps, Flyers, with NYR or Canes battling for the fourth spot. And that will be the first two rounds of the playoffs every year?

Lame.

Kruncher11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:18 AM
Clarence Beeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruncher11 View Post
So for the next 5 years or so its going to be Pens, Caps, Flyers, with NYR or Canes battling for the fourth spot. And that will be the first two rounds of the playoffs every year?

Lame.
Welcome to the way things used to be before Bettman et. al. decided to start changing everything. Hopefully, this is the first of many of those changes undone. One thing that I've found absolutely fascinating about this change is that it makes it exceptionally easy to differentiate the different generations of hockey fans. By and large, everyone over (about) 30 is going to be hit with bouts of nostalgia and remember why this is going to be awesome, and everyone under (about) 30 is going to think it's a totally crazy idea.

Old
12-06-2011, 12:22 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Thank you JG and Edog for clarifying that for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence Beeks View Post
Welcome to the way things used to be before Bettman et. al. decided to start changing everything. Hopefully, this is the first of many of those changes undone. One thing that I've found absolutely fascinating about this change is that it makes it exceptionally easy to differentiate the different generations of hockey fans. By and large, everyone over (about) 30 is going to be hit with bouts of nostalgia and remember why this is going to be awesome, and everyone under (about) 30 is going to think it's a totally crazy idea.
What else would you like to see changed/undone?

Good to see you, btw. Not everyday are we blessed with a CB sighting!

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:29 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

I'm just glad the Devils are still in our division/conference/whatever. Much easier to get to Newark than MSG/Nassau Coliseum.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:31 AM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence Beeks View Post
By and large, everyone over (about) 30 is going to be hit with bouts of nostalgia and remember why this is going to be awesome, and everyone under (about) 30 is going to think it's a totally crazy idea.
When these younger guys start seeing 4+OT playoff games in the divisional rounds after an entire season of unadulterated hate between teams, they'll understand what we older guys already have witnessed...imagine the Pens knocking out the Flyers in a triple OT Game 7 after going at it all year long.

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:32 AM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
I'm just glad the Devils are still in our division/conference/whatever. Much easier to get to Newark than MSG/Nassau Coliseum.
Also Columbus is only 3 hours away. It's like an extra home game.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:38 AM
Clarence Beeks

Quote:
What else would you like to see changed/undone?
The easy ones would be to go back to the old division names (especially now, with this change) and to go back to the old powerplay rule (although this one is not a Bettman rule, and it's one that's never going to be changed; it's only been on the books for 55 years now...).

Quote:
Good to see you, btw. Not everyday are we blessed with a CB sighting!
Haha. Thanks. Good to see you, too! I'm glad to see a few familiar names (although, I'm sure some of the names I don't recognize are familiar posters; I just don't recognize their changed names). It definitely has been a while, though!

Old
12-06-2011, 12:40 AM
Clarence Beeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
Also Columbus is only 3 hours away. It's like an extra home game.
Same with Buffalo (basically 3 hours) and Detroit (basically 4 hours), too. Aside from NYR, NYI, NJD, PHI and WSH, we'll be one of the teams that travels the least distance.

Old
12-06-2011, 01:04 AM
zhenya71

At this point, I'm hoping to wake up tomorrow and see that this retarded ass proposal has been somehow taken off the table.

The idea of having the NE teams in the same "conference" as the two Florida teams honestly doesn't make much more sense to me than having Winnipeg in the SE division -- the only difference being that the NHL's hand was basically forced in the latter situation, but they had all the time in the world to come up with something better for the former.

zhenya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:45 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
I wonder if they'll reconsider/put some more actual thought into this before next season?

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 03:15 AM
TheDudeAbides

Love it, love everything about it. First off, we get to keep our old foes, Philly and New York, and now we are going to get to see more Pens-Caps games. I am a fan of watching 2 teams play really hard and put on an entertaining game which is what you get every time the Pens match up with the Flyers and Caps. Win, lose or draw, they're always fun games to watch. Obviously this makes the schedule tougher for the Pens, but I'm not worried about it. Were going to start next season fully healthy (At least I think so) and were probably going to make a move or 2 at the deadline, so I fear no team.

TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 03:29 AM
TheDudeAbides

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
I'll be the first to predict the conference standings next season.

Pens
Caps
Flyers
Rangers
Canes
Devils
Islanders

The only bad thing about this is the Caps will finally beat us in the playoffs sometimes....
Pretty much same thought here. However, I think in order for the Caps to have a chance of knocking us off, Ovi and Semin have got to get back to playing like the 09 Ovi and Semin. Backstrom alone can't carry that team. Plus I just get this feeling that Ovi isn't going to get along any better with Dale Hunter than he did with Boudreau.

TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 05:06 AM
Sotty

I like the new conferences, but the playoff format is not ideal. Caps, Pens, Flyers/Devils were always the best teams in the east in the past years and finished in the top4. Now, they will eliminate each other in the divisional playoffs, while a team like Boston basically gets a bye until they face the other division champs. Yeah, you have to beat the best teams to win, but with the new fromat some really good teams face each other really soon and other teams have a cake-walk into the next round, just because they are in another division.
They playoffs should be between the two east and two west conferences right from the beginning.

Sotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 05:19 AM
smetana

I like this. Brings back some old-school feeling to the playoff races. You gotta feed those rivalries, and keeping the playoffs in-house for two rounds will be a means to this end. Might become monotonous to see the same teams in the first two rounds each year, but, on the other hand, familiarity breeds contempt. I like contempt.

Now...we just gotta get rid of the shootout

smetana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 05:33 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Why is Buffalo not in our conference but Carolina is? From a travel aspect that is stupid.
Because the conferences weren't designed to minimize just our traveling we should be with Columbus and Detroit too if we're going by closest teams.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 06:05 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEC View Post
I like the new conferences, but the playoff format is not ideal. Caps, Pens, Flyers/Devils were always the best teams in the east in the past years and finished in the top4. Now, they will eliminate each other in the divisional playoffs, while a team like Boston basically gets a bye until they face the other division champs. Yeah, you have to beat the best teams to win, but with the new fromat some really good teams face each other really soon and other teams have a cake-walk into the next round, just because they are in another division.
They playoffs should be between the two east and two west conferences right from the beginning.
They did not consider current quality of teams when making the conferences. It changes too often.

Old
12-06-2011, 06:26 AM
Koempel

I've got no problem whatsoever with the conferences. But I really hate the play-offs set-up. Outside of the conference winners (who should've enough points anyway), the top teams (in points) should make the postseason. It's completely ridiculous that you play the teams in your conference the 1st 2 rounds, I know you can't plan for team's quality in the future, but somehow I still don't like it.

Koempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 06:32 AM
Sotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
They did not consider current quality of teams when making the conferences. It changes too often.
I'm glad they did not consider it. Like you said, it changes too often. But the old format evened out things better, if you had many strong teams in one division.

Sotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 06:43 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Ya I would have preferred a wildcard setup for the last 4 spots at least.

Old
12-06-2011, 07:00 AM
Lemieuxfan

Send a message via ICQ to Lemieuxfan
I love that we play ever team in the league now (heck even twice), that's a HUGE plus for me!!

But I don't really like the playoff format, I would have prefered it, if it was 1rst from conference A vs 4th from conference B etc..

So I have mixed feelings, but I think this could benefit the league big time!

Lemieuxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 07:52 AM
JTG

I'm going to reserve judgement until we see how it plays out, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
One of the Penguins, Flyers, Capitals, Devils and Rangers are going to miss the playoffs. Every year.

That's brutal.

Maybe the Devils can make life easier for everyone if their last 12 months is a signal of a forthcoming downturn for a few seasons. If not however, then yeah, this is brutal slugfest of a conference, and we're going to need to be seriously on our toes from here on out. Carolina are probably ghost white right now.
...this is what I don't like. If anything, I'd like to have kept the current playoff setup. I think it lends itself more to having the best teams in there. This does make divisional hockey more relevant though, which I guess is what the NHL wanted.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:14 AM
JTG

So I just used the current standings to do this...

If the season ended today this is how it would look...

Conference 1 (current standing)
1. Pittsburgh (1)
2. NYR (4)
3. Philadelphia (5)
4. Washington (9)

Conference 2
1. Boston (2)
2. Florida (3)
3. Toronto (6)
4. Buffalo (7)

Conference 3
1. Minnesota (1)
2. Chicago (2)
3. Detroit (3)
4. Dallas (4)

Conference 4
1. Vancouver (5)
2. Phoenix (7)
3. LA (8)
4. San Jose (9)

The big losers are Ottawa (who is 8th in the East right now), and St Louis (who is 6th in the West right now). Big winners are Washington (who is 9th in the East), and San Jose (who is 9th in the West).

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote