HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Realignment passes -- 4 conferences, no East/West (PIT, PHI, NJ, NYR, NYI, CAR, WAS)

Old
12-06-2011, 08:15 AM
regard

vCash: 500
I dont really have any major issue with this. Parts of it are kind of exciting(being able to see western teams every year).

It does seem like their really going to beat the Conference rivalry thing to DEATH though.
I'd almost like to see them reseed after the first round. [Example: Pittsburgh 1 vs Buff 4, Philly 3 vs Montreal 3(with poorer record)]

It wouldnt even have to be "East" vs "West" in the second round. Maybe one of each so that by the second round you have 2 teams out of a total 15 left. (Could change after Phoenix is moved.)

Also I might be the only one here, but I wouldnt have cared if they threw both NY teams in the north and just had the Florida teams in our conference. Also it would have been nice if they could have found a way to have one or both of Columbus and Buffallo with us. But oh well.

regard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:24 AM
Converge

i love it, it means 2 teams from the west or the east could face in the scf , would love to see a rangers vs pens scf or a detroit vs colorado scf

Converge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:27 AM
regard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Converge View Post
i love it, it means 2 teams from the west or the east could face in the scf , would love to see a rangers vs pens scf or a detroit vs colorado scf
No the Pens and Rangers couldnt face off for the SCF. The Pens and Boston, Buff, Mtl, etc could.

The first two rounds will be in conference from everything I've read.

Old
12-06-2011, 08:29 AM
JTG

Let's see if I can do this right...

As for the playoffs, again this goes by if things ended now. I also assume the higher seed wins, just to make it easier

Conference 1
Pittsburgh (1) v. Washington (9)
NYR (4) v. Philly (5)

Conference 2
Boston (2) v. Buffalo (7)
Florida (3) v. Toronto (6)

Would then be ...

Pittsburgh (1) v. NYR (4)
Boston (2) v. Florida (3)

Pittsburgh and Boston win.

Conference 3
Min (1) v. Dallas (4)
Chicago (2) v. Detroit (3)

Conference 4
Vancouver (5) v. San Jose (9)
Phoenix (7) v. LA (8)

Big winners are obviously Vancouver and Phoenix. They both get home ice as 5 and 7 seeds. Would then be...

Min (1) v. Chicago (2)
Vancouver (5) v. Phoenix (7)

Minnesota (1) and Vancouver (5) win...

Of the teams left, their point totals are as follows...

1. Minnesota-37
2. Pittsburgh-36
3. Boston-35
4. Vancouver 31

So it would be...

Minnesota v. Vancouver and Pittsburgh v. Boston.

This being the big change though, and using an example...make Boston and Vancouver switch point totals. Boston could then be playing Minnesota, and Pittsburgh v. Vancouver. Say then, Pittsburgh and Boston win. They could be playing for the Cup.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:40 AM
Converge

Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
No the Pens and Rangers couldnt face off for the SCF. The Pens and Boston, Buff, Mtl, etc could.

The first two rounds will be in conference from everything I've read.
you are right, misread the divisions, Pens vs Bruins then ^^

Converge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:48 AM
regard

Minnesota and Dallas being in the same Conference sounds pretty cool.

Old
12-06-2011, 09:04 AM
Clarence Beeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
1. Minnesota-37
2. Pittsburgh-36
3. Boston-35
4. Vancouver 31

So it would be...

Minnesota v. Vancouver and Pittsburgh v. Boston.

This being the big change though, and using an example...make Boston and Vancouver switch point totals. Boston could then be playing Minnesota, and Pittsburgh v. Vancouver. Say then, Pittsburgh and Boston win. They could be playing for the Cup.
One question that I haven't seen answered... Since there won't be a East/Wales or West/Campbell anymore, what happens to the Wales Trophy and the Campbell Cup? There really isn't any logical way to award those trophies under this set up.

Clarence Beeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:05 AM
Sotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence Beeks View Post
One question that I haven't seen answered... Since there won't be a East/Wales or West/Campbell anymore, what happens to the Wales Trophy and the Campbell Cup? There really isn't any logical way to award those trophies under this set up.
They could just add two trophies and have one for each conference winner.

Sotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:24 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEC View Post
They aren't even going to mean as much anymore though since you only won two rounds instead of 3. I'd say just scrap them. Cup or bust.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Clarence Beeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEC View Post
To me, that would cheapen the history of the Wales/Campbell.

Clarence Beeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Shady Machine

I personally love the changes (other than Florida and Tampa having to travel significantly more). It's great that every team will play each other twice. Only downside is only getting to play current eastern teams outside of our future conference twice. Playoff format may be a little funky, but from what JTG showed above, based on current standings only 1 team from each conference that "deserves" to be in the playoffs today would miss. That's not bad.

I love the conference playoffs for sake of rivalries and the possibility of playing a team like Boston in the finals.

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:37 AM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

I love the new conferences. Playoff format? It's OK. Will be great for a few years. Then people will get tired of seeing the same playoff match ups year after year, which will probably happen, and then they will change up the format again. These things go in cycles.

td_ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:48 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I personally love the changes (other than Florida and Tampa having to travel significantly more). It's great that every team will play each other twice. Only downside is only getting to play current eastern teams outside of our future conference twice. Playoff format may be a little funky, but from what JTG showed above, based on current standings only 1 team from each conference that "deserves" to be in the playoffs today would miss. That's not bad.

I love the conference playoffs for sake of rivalries and the possibility of playing a team like Boston in the finals.
Yeah, that and the home ice were really the only changes. Like in the West, the 3 and 4 should have got home ice, rather 5 and 7 got home ice.

Old
12-06-2011, 10:33 AM
JustSidding

Putting the Schedule into Perspective

I decided to put the schedule in perspective in what we are exchanging.

Staying the Same-
3 Home and Home against PHI, NYR, NYI and NJ
2 Home and Home against WAS and CAR
Home and Home against TOR, MON, OTT, BUF, BOS, TAM and FLA
9 Home and Home games against Current Western Conference Teams
- I will use DET, CBJ, CHI, STL, NSH, DAL, MIN, COL and EDM as the 9 examples even though we would have faced every team at least once.

Exchange -
One trip to Florida for a shorter trip to WAS and CAR
Short easy start time schedules to TOR, MON, OTT, BUF and BOS for guaranteed late night long distance trips to VAN, SJ, LOS, ANA and PHX.
Home games from TAM and FLA to WAS and CAR
Home games from TOR, MON, OTT, BUF and BOS to VAN, SJ, LOS, ANA and PHX.
Home and home from WPG to CGY

If Exchange happened this year -
@TAM @FLA to @WAS @CAR
@BUF @BOS to @ANA @PHX
@TOR @MON @OTT to @DET @CBJ @CHI
@WPG to @NSH

vsTAM vsFLA to vsWAS vsCAR
vsBUF vsBOS to vsLOS vsSJ
vsTOR vsMON vsOTT to vsVAN vsEDM vsCGY
vsWPG to vsMIN

Our schedule doesn't change too much, except
- 16 games change. (8 Home and Home)
- 5-7 more games outside of Eastern Time Zone, depending if we would have gone to CBJ or DET next year.

- 1 Long trip to Florida to closer WAS and CAR
- 5 Close Current Northeast games to Further West

JustSidding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:44 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Just my opinion but I don't think that many people will tire of the playoff format. Its just like the old system and I've never heard anyone ***** about that. I love it personally. Play a rival for real instead of maybe going 5 years without a playoff matchup against a particular one.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Jag68Sid87

For the most part, I like the changes. I think this definitely makes expansion a reality now. Two more joining the 'Eastern' conferences...Quebec and Southern Ontario. I'd love that.

I don't like Winnipeg NOT being with Edm, Cgy and Van. That just doesn't make any sense to Canadian hockey fans. Winnipeg gets no rivalry in Canada. That sucks.

And I hate the Fla and TB situations. I don't know where you'd stick them, per se, but they shouldn't be in the 'Snowbirds' division.

Ideally, Quebec and Southern Ontario would replace TB and Fla in that conference, TB and Fla join our conference and somebody moves somewhere else. I guess Phoenix could help settle a lot of this if they move again.

Overall, I love the return of more divisional playoff hockey, and more emphasis on meaningful divisional hockey in the regular season. BUT, I would have kept the intra-conference playoffs to Round 1 only. THEN, I'd go with a re-seeding (1-16) and we could open up the playoffs to all kinds of possibilities.

I have a feeling this will mean the return to prominence of the NHL enforcer (like it or not). Because that's what divisional hockey breeds. And I love that.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Our conference is far too strong. Will be good hockey though.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

Wow, this is one tough divison we're in, but I like it. There will be insane playoff series against the Caps, Flyers and the Rangers. Semi Finals against a team from the west also sounds nice to me.

Frederick Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
I like it. I like how it's going back to you have to go through your division in the playoffs if you want to move on, like in the old days.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:37 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
For the most part, I like the changes. I think this definitely makes expansion a reality now. Two more joining the 'Eastern' conferences...Quebec and Southern Ontario. I'd love that.

I don't like Winnipeg NOT being with Edm, Cgy and Van. That just doesn't make any sense to Canadian hockey fans. Winnipeg gets no rivalry in Canada. That sucks.

And I hate the Fla and TB situations. I don't know where you'd stick them, per se, but they shouldn't be in the 'Snowbirds' division.

Ideally, Quebec and Southern Ontario would replace TB and Fla in that conference, TB and Fla join our conference and somebody moves somewhere else. I guess Phoenix could help settle a lot of this if they move again.

Overall, I love the return of more divisional playoff hockey, and more emphasis on meaningful divisional hockey in the regular season. BUT, I would have kept the intra-conference playoffs to Round 1 only. THEN, I'd go with a re-seeding (1-16) and we could open up the playoffs to all kinds of possibilities.

I have a feeling this will mean the return to prominence of the NHL enforcer (like it or not). Because that's what divisional hockey breeds.
And I love that.
That's a great point. I can see that happening, for sure.

td_ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:44 PM
boyle2boyle

This is my idea for the playoff system, don't know if it's been mentioned yet:

seed 1 vs. seed 4 from each conference
seed 2 vs. seed 3 from each conference

2 teams from each conference advance

The remaining 8 teams are seeded based on regular season record and 1 plays 8, 2 plays 7, 3 plays 6, 4 plays 5. reseeding continues from there similar to the current format.

This way, you only have one series inside your conference before reseeding. in my opinion, having two conference series before reseeding the final four will create too many similar playoff matchups from year to year.

Thoughts?

boyle2boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:19 PM
Alesle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostrichsized View Post
This is my idea for the playoff system, don't know if it's been mentioned yet:

seed 1 vs. seed 4 from each conference
seed 2 vs. seed 3 from each conference

2 teams from each conference advance

The remaining 8 teams are seeded based on regular season record and 1 plays 8, 2 plays 7, 3 plays 6, 4 plays 5. reseeding continues from there similar to the current format.

This way, you only have one series inside your conference before reseeding. in my opinion, having two conference series before reseeding the final four will create too many similar playoff matchups from year to year.

Thoughts?
I see where you're coming from, but I think the league might want to crown a champion of each conference, which might be problematic with your suggestion.

Alesle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Tafkak

Send a message via AIM to Tafkak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesle View Post
I see where you're coming from, but I think the league might want to crown a champion of each conference, which might be problematic with your suggestion.
It would also lend to a large part of why they switched to this system before, more travel. See Detroit's comments on the re-alignment why some teams aren't fans.

Tafkak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:23 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
That's a great point. I can see that happening, for sure.
I also think that's a pretty fair point.

Old
12-06-2011, 02:27 PM
FlightlessBird

I haven't had time to read every single post on this subject here or on the main board (or other sites), but has it been released which teams voted against this?

Last edited by FlightlessBird: 12-06-2011 at 02:42 PM.
FlightlessBird is online now   Reply With Quote