HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In Conversation with Rick Jeanneret

Old
12-04-2011, 12:01 PM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
In Conversation with Rick Jeanneret

Quote:
He can laugh now, since it all worked out. But if the team didn't agree, he isn't sure he'd be broadcasting this season.

"It came to the end of (last) season and I went in to see Ted Black, who's the president of the team now. He said, 'What are you going to do now?,' and I said, 'I don't know. I can't make up my mind.'"

Black told Jeanneret to take a week to think about it, so he went to Florida and pondered life without the Sabres. He wasn't ready to let go, but he didn't want a full commitment either.

"He said, 'Well, what do you want? You're driving the bus.' I told him I'd like to cut back and do the home games and a limited schedule of away games of my choosing, figuring that would never fly. He said, 'OK, what else?' I appreciated it very much. They didn't have to do that."
Quote:
Bottom line for Sabres fans: Jeanneret's time behind the mike is winding down. It could very well be his final season, he's not sure. Everything is year-to-year now, no long-term contracts.

Can you blame him? Jeanneret's broadcasting career has been a marathon of consistency and memorable catch phrases, from his days calling Niagara Falls Flyers games at Memorial Arena to those first chaotic years with the Sabres, when the St. Catharines native did play-by-play at night while working at a Niagara Falls radio station by day.
Quote:
The Cup remains the missing page in his Hall of Fame career. Not being able to tell his beloved listeners the Sabres are finally champions. There's still a chance, he realizes. But it better be soon.

"It's a pretty grungy looking thing, the Cup. It's not something you take home to mom, but it means everything as a Canadian, especially. If I was about to go out the door, I'd love to have that thing. It's something I've thought about, but I've never said, 'OK, I'm staying until they win the Cup.' I'm enough of a realist to not believe in that."
Quote:
Long after his final game, whenever it is, his heart will always be with Buffalo. Two other NHL teams offered him the announcer's job over the years, and he didn't seriously consider either.

"Beauty's in the eye of the beholder I don't have to work here, and I don't have to live here, but I chose to do so."

"I was getting on a plane in Florida once. The lady checking us through said, 'Where are you going, sir?' I said Buffalo, and she went, 'Oh, lucky you!' I says to her, 'Lady, I can't remember the last time we had a hurricane.' I got applause from the people behind me."
http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/Art...aspx?e=3392797

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 12:05 PM
sabresfan129103

I think he's done after this year. Besides if by some miracle they make the cup finals in the next couple of years and Rick is still in good health bring him back to call it.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Afino
The Juice

I think he'll continue to do home games (only) for a couple more years. But that's it.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

I have a terrible feeling this is his last year That makes me so sad.... hopefully we can make a run in the playoffs for him.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 04:58 PM
indigoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
I have a terrible feeling this is his last year That makes me so sad.... hopefully we can make a run in the playoffs for him.
I keep thinking that too...

indigoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 05:35 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

I honestly don't care a whole lot about any mistakes he makes from time to time. He is one of the best. I hope he hangs on for another season after this. Even if it's only home games and playoffs.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 06:46 PM
ckg927

vCash: 400
Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
EVERYONE's going to miss RJ when he's gone.

I'm not totally sold on Kevin Sylvester being the heir apparent to Jeanneret, either. He's OK as is, but he might be better suited to hosting.

If a replacement HAS to come...maybe we can pry Pete Weber out of Nashville? Pete DOES, after all, have Buffalo ties...has called Sabre games before...and has a very good sense of humor.

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 07:05 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

I'm just hoping if he does retire they let him come and special host some playof games. It wouldn't be the same without him if they got there.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 07:31 PM
Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
EVERYONE's going to miss RJ when he's gone.

I'm not totally sold on Kevin Sylvester being the heir apparent to Jeanneret, either. He's OK as is, but he might be better suited to hosting.

If a replacement HAS to come...maybe we can pry Pete Weber out of Nashville? Pete DOES, after all, have Buffalo ties...has called Sabre games before...and has a very good sense of humor.

I don't know if he's ever done play by play. But, Brian Duff is one of the best things on the broadcast. I wouldn't be opposes to giving him a shot.

Rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 07:46 PM
static80

As time marches on one thing is a contant, change.
It shouldn't be considered a loss when RJ retires, we should all give a little thanks for having the honor of listening to him, me for 40 years now.

I'll be proud the day he retires, he was, still is and always will be "the voice of the Buffalo Sabres" to me. I wish him the best no matter what his decision is this coming off season.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 07:50 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
I am a huge fan of Mike Lange, the pens radio guy. So this is a very touching story to me. Because they REALLY did not have to go out of their way for the PbP guy. The Pens certainly didn't.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 07:52 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

They should keep him on standby for the next Sabres Stanley Cup Finals appearance. So even if he is officially retired, he could do the Finals games only.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
I am a huge fan of Mike Lange, the pens radio guy. So this is a very touching story to me. Because they REALLY did not have to go out of their way for the PbP guy. The Pens certainly didn't.
I'm with you - and the same happened in Chicago, when ownership changed and immediately recognized the similar fondness Pat Foley had with fans by bringing him back two years ago. Likewise, when the Whalers moved south, Karmanos made sure to offer long-time radio announcer Chuck Kaiton a job "as long as he wants it" to come with the Hurricanes. RJ, Foley and Kaiton have always been the best in the biz IMO.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Sinter Klaas

vCash: 3643
I think RJ can squeeze a few more years of PBP out of this gig, especially if he maintains the part time schedule that he allows himself to do.

Remember a lot of PBPs make it well enough into their 70's, even into the 80's. The Kings PBP is 6 years older than RJ I think (Bob Miller) and still does a full time schedule. Bob Cole is older too. The Laker PBP guy went into his 80s and Van Miller darn near did too. RJ is a baby compared to those men.

Sinter Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 08:34 PM
ckg927

vCash: 400
Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
Originally Posted by two Tylers now View Post
I don't know if he's ever done play by play. But, Brian Duff is one of the best things on the broadcast. I wouldn't be opposes to giving him a shot.
Pete DEFINITELY has. He did a few years of Sabres radio PBP while RJ handled the TV end of things.

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 06:00 AM
Squantosawuss

Not being originally from the area, when I first heard Rick I thought he was Godawful. The screaming, the overexagerrated inflection...just plain exhausting to listen to him.

But alas, after listening to him call games for a bunch of years, I can honestly say I don't think there's another PxP guy in the league who comes close, and I've heard them all. If you listen around the league, you will hear many announcers drifting from the action as if it's a friggin' baseball game. In Rick there is no better verbal artist capable of painting such a precise picture of what is unflolding on the ice for the full 60. I don't know if people really do appreciate exactly how good he really is at that.

I really do hope that Rick will be allowed to continue on doing as many games as he chooses. I get the feeling that the organization will likely let him do what he wants, keeping him in the fold for as long as he wants. Judging by Black's attitude, I think they're on that same page.

And when he does finally call it quits, I hope some of the other fill-ins will have found other work by then.

Last edited by Squantosawuss: 12-05-2011 at 06:06 AM.
Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 06:04 AM
HiddenInLight

I have to say it will be unfortunate when RJ does retire. Hopefully before he does we can win a cup. Honestly I have always thought it was the coolest thing to be able to see really old sabres clips and hear RJ still calling it. I'm glad that the team is doing their best to take care of him.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 08:43 AM
minuteater
does not cohmpeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
But alas, after listening to him call games for a bunch of years, I can honestly say I don't think there's another PxP guy in the league who comes close, and I've heard them all. If you listen around the league, you will hear many announcers drifting from the action as if it's a friggin' baseball game. In Rick there is no better verbal artist capable of painting such a precise picture of what is unflolding on the ice for the full 60. I don't know if people really do appreciate exactly how good he really is at that.
This is what I love. You can turn on the radio, listen for a second and pretty much know if the Sabres are winning, where the puck is and can approximate how much time is left without ever hearing the score, a description of where the player actually is on the ice or the time remaining. It can all, for the most part, be deduced from the inflection and tone of his voice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
They should keep him on standby for the next Sabres Stanley Cup Finals appearance. So even if he is officially retired, he could do the Finals games only.
This would be hard to pull off. He wouldn't be as familiar with the players (depending on when it would happen) and the "practice" of calling regular season games wouldn't be there (You'd also have to stipulate in the new regular PxP guy's contract that Rick would take over at this time). That is unless he is sitting in his living room calling the game out as he watches it on TV. Can you imagine a personal game call while sitting in your living room next to Rick?

Last edited by minuteater: 12-05-2011 at 08:48 AM.
minuteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:41 AM
OkimLom

Fantasy Land:

If the Sabres win the cup, I want the Sabres to wait for RJ to come down and raise the cup with them, him and Rip deserve it for everything theyve done.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote