HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Torrey Mitchell know he is useless??

Old
12-09-2011, 05:05 PM
Stickmata

vCash: 500
There was a perfect example of Mitchell's struggles late in the game last night. Third period, puck was chipped into the left half board area just above the goal line, he is first in, with speed, beats the Stars to the puck with plenty of time to spin and hit a WIDE OPEN Handzus coming right down the left side of the slot....but he has trouble with initial control of the puck and then he gets moved off the puck with ease by the Star's player, who takes the puck and sends it the other way up the boards. It was a horrendously weak play that turned what should have been a good scoring chance into a turnover.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 05:10 PM
dwood16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJuxtaposer View Post
Petrecki doesn't have to be ready for top-4 minutes next year. He can play bottom pairing minutes (hopefully with Demers, as I see them becoming a good pair because their skill-sets are very complimentary). We'll still have Boyle and probably Murray at that point and I imagine (read: hope) that they'll still be a good second pair for at least another year, until Petrecki-Demers can take over. Then after 2012-2013 I imagine we'll have something like:

Vlasic-Burns
Petrecki-Demers
Braun-Boyle

Because Dan can still play PP minutes and handle low levels of competition. In a year or twoish after that, Doherty/Acolatse/Abeltshauser/whoever the hell I've missed should be ready to compete for minutes in SJ. That's when I see Boyle on his way out.
IRWIN. He's the next Lidstrom.

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 05:52 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
There was a perfect example of Mitchell's struggles late in the game last night. Third period, puck was chipped into the left half board area just above the goal line, he is first in, with speed, beats the Stars to the puck with plenty of time to spin and hit a WIDE OPEN Handzus coming right down the left side of the slot....but he has trouble with initial control of the puck and then he gets moved off the puck with ease by the Star's player, who takes the puck and sends it the other way up the boards. It was a horrendously weak play that turned what should have been a good scoring chance into a turnover.
I think I recall that play and thinking the same thing - another example of zero puck control and offensive skill. I don't think I'd say "lately". Has he ever displayed much of anything on offense? I think his rookie season was the anomaly as far as goal scoring and PK ability.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

vCash: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
I think I recall that play and thinking the same thing - another example of zero puck control and offensive skill. I don't think I'd say "lately". Has he ever displayed much of anything on offense? I think his rookie season was the anomaly as far as goal scoring and PK ability.

Why can't he do this more often? The fact he can do this makes our expectations higher. He'd be better off if he hadn't done this.

Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 06:28 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Fin Soup View Post

Why can't he do this more often? The fact he can do this makes our expectations higher. He'd be better off if he hadn't done this.
He isn't a generational talent. For what he is getting paid Mitchell is doing ok this year.

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 01:52 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood16 View Post
IRWIN. He's the next Lidstrom.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 03:08 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
He isn't a generational talent. For what he is getting paid Mitchell is doing ok this year.
1.8 million isn't the type of play we are getting from mitchell though.

He barely pk's, he doesn't face the other teams top lines, he is ok defensively and ok on the forecheck, has 0 offensive talent (he will chip in a few points here and there, but he will rarely ever create any of the goals).

For what mitchell brings to the table he should be paid about 900k to 1 million less then he is right now.

Thank god this (should) is the final year of his horrendous contract. It was massive overpayment when he received it and to this day it still is a massive overpayment.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 03:57 AM
BrianSmith
Chokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
1.8 million isn't the type of play we are getting from mitchell though.

He barely pk's, he doesn't face the other teams top lines, he is ok defensively and ok on the forecheck, has 0 offensive talent (he will chip in a few points here and there, but he will rarely ever create any of the goals).

For what mitchell brings to the table he should be paid about 900k to 1 million less then he is right now.

Thank god this (should) is the final year of his horrendous contract. It was massive overpayment when he received it and to this day it still is a massive overpayment.
Perhaps we have Torrey to thank though for DM's amazing handling of RFA's since him. I call it the 3 step plan ... ELC, RFA Deal on the cheap to prove you have it, followed by the small discount and reward for the results you've shown.

BrianSmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 02:38 PM
californiahockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PondShark View Post
No, he does not because he is not useless. Hustle, forcheck, speed, work ethic...
yeah i give him credit for hustling, but he skates around like a chicken with his head cut off and he gets absolutely nothing done.

californiahockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 03:18 PM
SharksFan1

vCash: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiahockey View Post
yeah i give him credit for hustling, but he skates around like a chicken with his head cut off and he gets absolutely nothing done.
Agree, I've been very disappointed with his play this year. Although he looked much better last game so maybe this is the turning point for his season.

SharksFan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksFan1 View Post
Agree, I've been very disappointed with his play this year. Although he looked much better last game so maybe this is the turning point for his season.
that has been said 30 million times in the past 3 years, he looked great for 2 games in the playoffs last year also. that lead to this is mitchells year to have a break out year. he had a great 5 games in the playoffs after missing basically the entire season with an injury. that lead to another this is his year.

mitchell doesn't have a this is his year in him, he is what he is. and that is no offense, barely any defense, can't control a puck to save his life, he can forecheck (but that comes with him not knowing what to do with the puck once he wins the battle for the puck).

Old
12-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 374
So will Mitchell be traded before the year is up?

Would not mind seeing a package of Mitchell and Nitty leaving the team before the year is up to at least get something in return.

Both will be UFA at the end of the year, and I don't think either has a future with the Sharks.

Wedontneedroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 03:58 PM
Rem
I am a ham radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by irbelikewall View Post

Would not mind seeing a package of Mitchell and Nitty leaving the team before the year is up to at least get something in return.

Both will be UFA at the end of the year, and I don't think either has a future with the Sharks.
which is why they won't get us ish for a trade. There has to be another piece to make it worth it for any team.

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:35 PM
SharksFan1

Quote:
that has been said 30 million times in the past 3 years, he looked great for 2 games in the playoffs last year also. that lead to this is mitchells year to have a break out year. he had a great 5 games in the playoffs after missing basically the entire season with an injury. that lead to another this is his year.

mitchell doesn't have a this is his year in him, he is what he is. and that is no offense, barely any defense, can't control a puck to save his life, he can forecheck (but that comes with him not knowing what to do with the puck once he wins the battle for the puck).
I feel you. I was voting to trade him and not much has changed. If he doesn't have a break out year I hope they trade him by the deadline.

Last edited by SharksFan1: 12-13-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old
12-13-2011, 12:58 PM
SFtoBoston
Left-Heart-In-SF

vCash: 50
Quote:
Only if he is part of a package that includes a useful player.

SFtoBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 374
I agree it would probably take a more useful player to be packaged with him to get a trade accepted.

Not sure who that person would be however. I don't think the Sharks have a ton of valuable trading pieces that they would be willing to get rid of right now.

Wedontneedroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 02:53 PM
SharksFan1

Quote:
I agree it would probably take a more useful player to be packaged with him to get a trade accepted.

Not sure who that person would be however. I don't think the Sharks have a ton of valuable trading pieces that they would be willing to get rid of right now.
About all they have is Mitchell and Nitty, and I don't think they would get much for either of them right now.

Old
12-14-2011, 09:53 AM
DarrylshutzSydor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksFan1 View Post
About all they have is Mitchell and Nitty, and I don't think they would get much for either of them right now.
Call up some players from Worcester and make these guys want to keep their jobs!

DarrylshutzSydor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrylshutzSydor View Post
Call up some players from Worcester and make these guys want to keep their jobs!
who? the only sharks forwards the sharks have in worcester that can give mitchell any run for the job is ferriero.

Old
12-14-2011, 02:44 PM
DarrylshutzSydor

Quote:
who? the only sharks forwards the sharks have in worcester that can give mitchell any run for the job is ferriero.
Fereiro
McCarthy
Wingels
Mashinter
Guite
Pertecky
Moore
Doherty

Old
12-14-2011, 04:00 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrylshutzSydor View Post
Fereiro
McCarthy
Wingels
Mashinter
Guite
Pertecky
Moore
Doherty
you think doherty, moore, petrecki are going to scare any of the regular defensemen? thats funny, burns, boyle, vlasic, murray, vands, white, demers, and even braun in there sleep are better then the 3 defensemen that you said.

same goes for mcarrthy, ferriero, wingels, mashinter, and guite.

ferriero is the only one that can possibly replace mitchell, but then you are just replacing 1 problem with another problem.

mash, mcarrthy, wingels, and guite are just the average 4th line fighters/grinders right now. and in my honest opinion the 4th line is fine.

Old
12-14-2011, 04:00 PM
ToursLepantoVienna

In terms of poor return on investment, Torrey Mitchell isn't even close to Martin Havlat.

ToursLepantoVienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 01:47 PM
DarrylshutzSydor

Quote:
you think doherty, moore, petrecki are going to scare any of the regular defensemen? thats funny, burns, boyle, vlasic, murray, vands, white, demers, and even braun in there sleep are better then the 3 defensemen that you said.

same goes for mcarrthy, ferriero, wingels, mashinter, and guite.

ferriero is the only one that can possibly replace mitchell, but then you are just replacing 1 problem with another problem.

mash, mcarrthy, wingels, and guite are just the average 4th line fighters/grinders right now. and in my honest opinion the 4th line is fine.
I'd bring any of them up just to show the regualrs what ambition really is.

Old
12-15-2011, 03:14 PM
SharksFan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcspence View Post
In terms of poor return on investment, Torrey Mitchell isn't even close to Martin Havlat.
That's what I was thinking when I was reading through the Havlat thread.

Old
12-16-2011, 09:57 PM
SharksAddict

Mitchell is absolutely clueless with the puck. He has no creativity or hockey sense on offense. Pairing him with Thornton and Pavelski is maddening. Those two create a good cycle and then Mitchell gets the puck and it all goes to hell.

He's a 3rd line player at best. TMac is wasting Thornton and Pavelski's talent by putting Mitchell on that line. Put McGinn or Havlat on that line, or any one besides Mitchell for that matter. Winchester was even decent.

SharksAddict is offline   Reply With Quote