Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bob McKenzie: NHL realignment could be decided today

Old
12-05-2011, 11:20 AM
RussellmaniaKW

vCash: 500
I wish they had the balls to change the point system for standings as well.

I really think every game should be worth three points. 3 points for a regulation win, 2 for an OT/shootout win, OT/shootout loser gets one. I'm tired of crappy teams forcing OT's to pad their point totals.

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:24 AM
chuckdobbins

vCash: 50
It doesn't really make a difference to me. Although, divisional playoffs over the course of several years could spark some intense rivalries again.

chuckdobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:25 AM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
I wish they had the balls to change the point system for standings as well.

I really think every game should be worth three points. 3 points for a regulation win, 2 for an OT/shootout win, OT/shootout loser gets one. I'm tired of crappy teams forcing OT's to pad their point totals.
The owners love it though because it keeps a lot of the bad teams in the playoff race until the end. If you look at the standings, there are usually at least 25 teams with a shot to make the playoffs down the stretch. Trends say that the teams in the top 8 at Thanksgiving are unlikely to lose their spots, but the 1 point for an OTL at least gives the appearance of competitiveness.

smithformeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:39 AM
chuckdobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
The owners love it though because it keeps a lot of the bad teams in the playoff race until the end. If you look at the standings, there are usually at least 25 teams with a shot to make the playoffs down the stretch. Trends say that the teams in the top 8 at Thanksgiving are unlikely to lose their spots, but the 1 point for an OTL at least gives the appearance of competitiveness.
Makes sense, but it's actually an illusion of competitiveness It's damn near impossible to make up ground in this league.

chuckdobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:46 AM
PJ StockBB

if it is the recent proposal where florida and tampa are in our division, then i personally hate it. we only would get to play the penguins, flyers and rangers twice a year? i don't know about all of you but i hate that. and then we get stuck with florida and tampa just because bettman wants to sell out more florida games because of canadian fans who live down there? ********. at least give us carolina in our division. i don't know about you guys but games against the sens, panthers, lightning and to some extent the leafs are really not all that interesting to watch, and now we will get even more of them and less games against the flyers, penguins and rangers.

PJ StockBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:57 AM
whitetape

Quote:
Originally posted by PJ StockBB
i don't know about you guys but games against the sens, panthers, lightning and to some extent the leafs are really not all that interesting to watch, and now we will get even more of them and less games against the flyers, penguins and rangers.
Right now, that may be the case, but it's important to think longer term, because these new alignments are likely to be around until Quebec City returns to the league. Only a couple of years ago, the Sens were among the best teams the Bruins faced. And now that I think of it, what's wrong with games with the Lightning these days? Even Fla is doing well.
Anyway, the main thing is the B's stay with Montreal, and there's no way the league ought to break up that rivalry. And it appears that a nice little rivalry is developing with the Leafs.

whitetape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 12:01 PM
bossfan

Realignment is fine but a big fat BOO to the divisional playoff idea. I remember how boring and tired it was to see the same playoff match ups year after year under the previous divisional playoff format.

Last edited by bossfan: 12-05-2011 at 12:07 PM.
bossfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 12:06 PM
bbfan419

I don't like the idea of playing in your own division for the first round, in the old days of the adams, patrick divisons etc... it just always seemed like the same teams met year in and year out. I like variety and also not having to play the habs, who always play the B's tough. I would like it to be 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15 etc.. that way you see alot of series you may not have seen otherwise and the possiblity that any two teams could potentially meet in the finals.

bbfan419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Panthers are just being thrown into an otherwise Northeastern division so they don't have to realign all over again when they move to QC. Lightning are there to keep their in-state rivalry intact until the move.

I'm only half joking.

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 12:11 PM
dtam83

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
It's damn near impossible to make up ground in this league.
you just need to go 12-0-1 in a month...not that difficult

dtam83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Dreghorn2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossfan View Post
Realignment is fine but a big fat BOO to the divisional playoff idea. I remember how boring and tired it was to see the same playoff match ups year after year under the previous divisional playoff format.
100% do i echo this point.

I do not want a return to divisional playoffs. Everyone thinks intense rivalries but after a while it grows very stale.

When they went away from the divisional format i remember telling friends Montreal wouldn't win the Cup again for 25 years, i do not want a return to that setup.

Dreghorn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 12:17 PM
Turk 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfan419 View Post
I don't like the idea of playing in your own division for the first round, in the old days of the adams, patrick divisons etc... it just always seemed like the same teams met year in and year out. I like variety and also not having to play the habs, who always play the B's tough. I would like it to be 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15 etc.. that way you see alot of series you may not have seen otherwise and the possiblity that any two teams could potentially meet in the finals.
I think that's how it was done through most of the 70s IIRC. That way the teams with the two best records could end up meeting in the SCFs, which happened several times.

But I actually prefer the way it is now. The unbalanced schedule preserves some rivalries, while the playoff structure provides incentive for winning the division while still allowing for new rivalries to form within the conference.

It does s*ck only seeing Detroit and Vancouver once a year, but with 30 teams it's impossible to have both geographic rivalries and get to see every other team regularly.

So swap Detroit and Winnipeg and be done with it, I say.

Turk 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 12:20 PM
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221

Send a message via AIM to BigBadBruin8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Good bye rivalries...hello what happened in the mid-90s. Countless meaningless games and no hatred between teams.

Careful what you wish for.
I don't really like playing every team home-and-home, but the real benefit of this idea IMO is that there would be divisional playoffs again, which would intensify those rivalries. First two rounds in the division to determine the winner, then re-seeding 1-4 afterwards is what I heard. I'd love that.

"I've gotta go run some little French guys over."--Shawn Thornton

BigBadBruin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Wally1912

I don't like the idea of the Bruins being lumped with the Florida-based franchises.

When I first heard about trying to realign to accommodate Detroit and place them with the other Eastern Time Zone teams, I figured the league would look something like this:

Wales Conference (Eastern)

Adams (Northeast, East)
Boston
Buffalo
Montreal
Ottawa
Toronto
Detroit
New York Rangers
New York Islanders

Patrick (Southeast, South)
New Jersey
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Washington
Columbus
Carolina
Florida
Tampa Bay

Campbell Conference (Western)

Norris (Central, Midwest)
Chicago
St. Louis
Nashville
Minnesota
Winnipeg
Dallas
Colorado

Smythe (Pacific, West)
San Jose
Los Angeles
Anaheim
Phoenix
Vancouver
Calgary
Edmonton

Wally1912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 12:29 PM
KCBRUIN
Tuukka Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally1912 View Post
I figured the league would look something like this:
Looks awesome to me.

KCBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 12:37 PM
TheReal13Linseman
Registered Abuser

Agree about the FLA thing. I think it inane to be in the same division as the two Florida teams. Why leapfrog over the mid Atlantic? Makes no sense and will add unreasonable travel demands to the northeast teams. God, I long for the old Adams Division; and the awesome blood-hate rivalries we had with the Nordique, Habs, Whale.

Yes, two of those franchises had to move, but I don't support the notion of watering down existing rivalries to support fledgling franchises in fickle, far-flung locales. If the NHL wants to support Confederate State hockey (Lighting, Panthers, Canes, Caps) that's fine, but add franchises that are closer to those areas (Flyers, Devils, Rangers) rather than the upper NE franchises.

No matter what, Soderberg would've scored there.
Pastrnak means "Eurolectric" in Czech. Look it up.

Last edited by TheReal13Linseman: 12-05-2011 at 12:48 PM.
TheReal13Linseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBruin8 View Post
I don't really like playing every team home-and-home, but the real benefit of this idea IMO is that there would be divisional playoffs again, which would intensify those rivalries. First two rounds in the division to determine the winner, then re-seeding 1-4 afterwards is what I heard. I'd love that.
Agree. Love the idea of Divisional playoffs again.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 12:46 PM
Pie O My

[QUOTE=Wally1912;40456993]
When I first heard about trying to realign to accommodate Detroit and place them with the other Eastern Time Zone teams, I figured the league would look something like this:

Ever since chris Berman started calling the NFC north "the NFL's Norris division" years ago i think reinstating an actual Norris division without Detroit would be just.....wrong.

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 12:50 PM
lopey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooshii View Post
I think they're looking to sell out more FL games to MTL fans.
When Florida's owners finally realize that the team will not make any money in this state that does not support ANY professional team, they will move to Quebec and the Nordiques are back BABY!

lopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 12:55 PM
mikelvl

vCash: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopey View Post
When Florida's owners finally realize that the team will not make any money in this state that does not support ANY professional team, they will move to Quebec and the Nordiques are back BABY!
Les Nordiques could be back next year if this Phoenix things continues to amount to nothing. That is why Bettman wants the Northeast teams to be in a 7 team conference for now (Bos-Buff-Mont-Tor-Ott-FLA-TB). Quebec would be the 8th team.

Bettman also is pushing hard for this because this would appease the Wings as they would only have to play the West Coast and Western Canada teams once. They hate going out there for two long trips from the East each year. They would instead be lumped with teams that are just one hour apart from them in terms of time zone (Chicago, Minny etc. at 8:30 EDT) In other words, the Chuck Norris division would be back.

mikelvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 01:21 PM
lopey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelvl View Post
Les Nordiques could be back next year if this Phoenix things continues to amount to nothing. That is why Bettman wants the Northeast teams to be in a 7 team conference for now (Bos-Buff-Mont-Tor-Ott-FLA-TB). Quebec would be the 8th team.

Bettman also is pushing hard for this because this would appease the Wings as they would only have to play the West Coast and Western Canada teams once. They hate going out there for two long trips from the East each year. They would instead be lumped with teams that are just one hour apart from them in terms of time zone (Chicago, Minny etc. at 8:30 EDT) In other words, the Chuck Norris division would be back.
This makes a lot of sense. I dont think its if anymore for Phoenix but when!

lopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 01:40 PM
PJ StockBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetape View Post
Right now, that may be the case, but it's important to think longer term, because these new alignments are likely to be around until Quebec City returns to the league. Only a couple of years ago, the Sens were among the best teams the Bruins faced. And now that I think of it, what's wrong with games with the Lightning these days? Even Fla is doing well.
Anyway, the main thing is the B's stay with Montreal, and there's no way the league ought to break up that rivalry. And it appears that a nice little rivalry is developing with the Leafs.
all valid points, but my main beef is taking away games against teams like the flyers, pens and rangers. Boston has a rivalry with all these cities and these three tams are always fun to watch the Bruins play against (imo). more upset about less games against them. and yea playing the lightning and the panthers still doesn't get me too excited even though both teams are pretty good.

PJ StockBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 01:43 PM
CamTheMan

I am pretty sure they are including TB and FLA in the NE due to the snowbirds and New Englander's who travel south. If there were to be a majority of games against Teams like Boston, Toronto, Montreal, i think you would see an increased attendence and revenue. Not that big ....lol but still bigger. Like someone else mentioned it could also be to delay the inevitable move to QC.

CamTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 02:42 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by cursednumber6 View Post
I am with Knight on this one. Move Nashville to the East to replace Winipeg and move Minnesota. That makes the most sense geographically. It will not happen though as Detroit will get their way and they will be moved into our division with Pittsburgh etc. Yeah that really works well for the Bruins...NOT. Edit so that was so last month now it seems Pittsburgh stays with Philly and we get the Fla teams, which is much much better for the Bruins.
I'd much rather have the Bruins in a division with Pittsburgh and Detroit than the two FLA teams. The cities of Pittsburgh and Detroit are a lot more of a natural rival to Boston than Florida cities are and their teams would provide better competition. How's the old saying go, "To be the best, you have to beat the best".

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote