HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps. vs. Cats. 7:30pm. BankAtlantic Center. 12.5.2011

Old
12-05-2011, 02:57 PM
yay

vCash: 500
Caps have lost every game I've tried to predict this year so

edit - but on the other hand, they're 3-0 when I attend... anyone wanna buy me a ticket to FLA?

yay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 03:45 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
“I’m a paid employee and I don’t make those kinds of decisions.” Vokoun said. “I’m a hockey player and I’m here to play games.”

With comments like that I'd love to hear Vokoun's opinion on leadership from someone in a very important position.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 03:46 PM
dashtary*

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunksuperhero View Post
eakin still at 2LW...unbelievable and inexcusable at this point.
Can't you see his talent level though? I may be alone on this one but him and Mojo are really similar players, that just play different games. Similar talent, skill-set, vision, skating, style, etc. Just the way that they play is different IMO. Thoughts?

dashtary* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 03:48 PM
CaptainKonoForever

Sadly enough I see the Caps losing this one, 4-1, Ovechkin scores a free soda from the vending machine, and Semin manages to take a penalty from the press box.

CaptainKonoForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 03:49 PM
CaptainKonoForever

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWayHockey View Post
Can't you see his talent level though? I may be alone on this one but him and Mojo are really similar players, that just play different games. Similar talent, skill-set, vision, skating, style, etc. Just the way that they play is different IMO. Thoughts?
Ehhh, I can see the skating but from what I have seen Eakin doesn't really have much skill. He will be a good player though just not sure he should be in anyone's top six...

Old
12-05-2011, 03:53 PM
dashtary*

I dunno maybe it's because I've watched him in Juniors & WJC, and Caps practices too but he's got the foundation of a really solid NHL Player.

Old
12-05-2011, 04:03 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

I wouldn't mind seeing some of that hitting from the Penguins game on a consistent basis.

ChibiPooky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post

I have no idea if they are even better than the Panthers anymore.
That's a good team this year. 'Even' better? They're legitimately a quality opponent now.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 04:14 PM
CaptainKonoForever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
That's a good team this year. 'Even' better? They're legitimately a quality opponent now.
I agree with you. However, I see what this guy is saying. In theory, if the Caps bring their A game (when was the last time that happened) than on paper they should be able to beat the Panthers....but alas, the game is not played on paper.

Old
12-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Auger

Thank god!! im assuming that Backstrom isn't injured because yahoo has him on DTD. I guess they just mixed up the Backstroms

Auger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 04:36 PM
Langway
Proud Mediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auger View Post
Thank god!! im assuming that Backstrom isn't injured because yahoo has him on DTD. I guess they just mixed up the Backstroms
Yep. Not the first time.

Funny that recently I've wondered whether bad VC ice is maybe a good thing for this team slowing down the opposition. Carrying over from last season, this remains a team that has to play well defensively to win most games since their offensive cohesion is so choppy. Those gunfighting days are over for the most part.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

Quote:
how could one judge those things when hes so quickly and easily knocked off the puck?

purely from the perspective of playing in an NHL top 6, he does nothing well. the caps arent--or shouldnt be, at least--in a position to be giving ice time to kids who dont deserve it. orlovs proving worthy of staying up. eakin is the opposite. he should be practicing his craft in the minors, not playing the invisible man in the bigs. granted, having a centerman who also belongs in an NHL top 6 that he could leach off would help, but alas thats not the case.

if ones to be optimistic...maybe the 1st line is coming around, weve seen what the 3rd line can do, maybe the D will finally start getting it...but ive seen nothing, NOTHING to like about this 2nd line, and the 2 constants are eakin and mojo.

Harvey Specter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Stewie G
Because Chemistry!

Quote:
how could one judge those things when hes so quickly and easily knocked off the puck?

purely from the perspective of playing in an NHL top 6, he does nothing well. the caps arent--or shouldnt be, at least--in a position to be giving ice time to kids who dont deserve it. orlovs proving worthy of staying up. eakin is the opposite. he should be practicing his craft in the minors, not playing the invisible man in the bigs. granted, having a centerman who also belongs in an NHL top 6 that he could leach off would help, but alas thats not the case.

if ones to be optimistic...maybe the 1st line is coming around, weve seen what the 3rd line can do, maybe the D will finally start getting it...but ive seen nothing, NOTHING to like about this 2nd line, and the 2 constants are eakin and mojo.
Unless you're only counting the last 3 weeks, then no, Eakin hasn't been a constant on the line all year. If you look at the first 15 games of the year, Mojo went 6-5-11. That's a 60 point pace, which would have put him in the top 25 for centers last year. His numbers dropped off right about the time Eakin started getting time on his line. It's hard to put up points when your linemate can't control the puck for more than a couple seconds at a time.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

2nd line = Chimera-Laich-Ward
MJ, Semin and so on - is no other than BB's concept of 3rd scoring line

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
It's hard to put up points when your linemate can't control the puck for more than a couple seconds at a time.
hence why they rub off negatively on each other so much since both are awful in puck possession. like many other caps, if the game could be played in transition, mojo would be alright; since scoring requires playing in the offensive zone, no wonder that line...doesnt score.

Harvey Specter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
hence why they rub off negatively on each other so much since both are awful in puck possession. like many other caps, if the game could be played in transition, mojo would be alright; since scoring requires playing in the offensive zone, no wonder that line...doesnt score.
I'm never sure what to think of Johansson's possession ability. He makes what look like clumsy plays with the puck all the time, but half of those work out for him, enough that in some sense it can't be a fluke. It reminds me of Green very strongly. What I'm talking about definitely applies more to transition situations though. His in-zone play is definitely worse.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 06:03 PM
Stewie G
Because Chemistry!

Quote:
I wouldn't call Mojo awful at puck possession. I actually think he does OK in that regard. Eakin is where puck possession goes to die. I don't even think Backstrom could fix that problem.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

A couple of minutes before 7 I went to look for a stream, only to discover that the game started at 7:30.

Old
12-05-2011, 06:08 PM
dashtary*

Alan May on CSN really pointing out the transition of Ovechin's game since the hiring of Hunter. Alluding to his physical play and consistently back-checking and pressuring lower into the defensive zone. Loving it!

Old
12-05-2011, 06:10 PM
dashtary*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
I'm never sure what to think of Johansson's possession ability. He makes what look like clumsy plays with the puck all the time, but half of those work out for him, enough that in some sense it can't be a fluke. It reminds me of Green very strongly. What I'm talking about definitely applies more to transition situations though. His in-zone play is definitely worse.
I think he's a good puck carrier/holder but could some of that be due to his size? Obviously he's very young and the more he matures the more strong he'll get, much like Backstrom who's unbelievable at puck possession. I mean it's really hard to get him off of the puck.

Old
12-05-2011, 06:12 PM
Darkproducer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Alan May on CSN really pointing out the transition of Ovechin's game since the hiring of Hunter. Alluding to his physical play and consistently back-checking and pressuring lower into the defensive zone. Loving it!
i'd rather he get back to his 50+ goals pace and not worry about D...he's not good at D even when he worries about D imo.

Darkproducer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
I think he's a good puck carrier/holder but could some of that be due to his size? Obviously he's very young and the more he matures the more strong he'll get, much like Backstrom who's unbelievable at puck possession. I mean it's really hard to get him off of the puck.
My post was kind of all over the place. He definitely needs to get stronger on the puck, but his stickhandling ability is high. That coupled with his speed allows him to control the puck well in a lot of situations, and especially in transition. He really looks just like Green sometimes when he tries to gain the zone (and often succeeds).

Old
12-05-2011, 06:15 PM
dashtary*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkproducer View Post
i'd rather he get back to his 50+ goals pace and not worry about D...he's not good at D even when he worries about D imo.
I mean he's definitely effective when he's trying to play D... And his scoring (points) have gone up since this transition. Maybe it's not related but I think it's a good thing.

Old
12-05-2011, 06:18 PM
dashtary*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
My post was kind of all over the place. He definitely needs to get stronger on the puck, but his stickhandling ability is high. That coupled with his speed allows him to control the puck well in a lot of situations, and especially in transition. He really looks just like Green sometimes when he tries to gain the zone (and often succeeds).
Definitely, I agree.

Old
12-05-2011, 06:20 PM
pgreene

really hate 7:30 starts.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote