HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Value of Paul Stastny

Old
12-06-2011, 09:22 AM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
You guys know what else?

1. Stastny is better than Oishe. Period.
2. Stastny doesn't have attitude problems so even if management was going to move him, sure as hell won't be for Oishe.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:05 AM
avsfan9

vCash: 500
stastny to flames for giordano and bourque. i like it , i like it alot.

avsfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Ice Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan9 View Post
stastny to flames for giordano and bourque. i like it , i like it alot.
I do not not. Not it's a bad deal but we need offensive weapons up front. We really can't downgrade our offense right now. You guys seem to think that Stastny hit a wall and will never go back to his ppg ratio. Stastny was very good when we were a playoff team. Since last season, he has regressed so as everybody on the team. As soon as we get back to be a playoff team and that we have a decent top-6, Stastny will produce the same as in the past.

I DO NOT WANT TO PART WAYS WITH PAUL STASTNY UNLESS IT'S FOR A PACKAGE DEAL BRINGING A BETTER OFFENSIVE PLAYER.

Ice Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:23 AM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Crusher View Post
I do not not. Not it's a bad deal but we need offensive weapons up front. We really can't downgrade our offense right now. You guys seem to think that Stastny hit a wall and will never go back to his ppg ratio. Stastny was very good when we were a playoff team. Since last season, he has regressed so as everybody on the team. As soon as we get back to be a playoff team and that we have a decent top-6, Stastny will produce the same as in the past.

I DO NOT WANT TO PART WAYS WITH PAUL STASTNY UNLESS IT'S FOR A PACKAGE DEAL BRINGING A BETTER OFFENSIVE OR DEFENSIVE PLAYER.
Fixed. Lets not hate on Suter/Weber.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Ice Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
Well I didn't forgot about them. Just that I would not trade Stastny right now for a defender. We have difficulties to produce up front. Our top-6 is far from being the best in the league and imagine if Stastny is gone and there is no one to replace him. We already gave up Stewart who was in our top-6 for EJ. I would wait for the UFA market instead.

Old
12-06-2011, 10:38 AM
cyberfan
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't think trading Staz would help us in the short term. First thing that should be done with this team is to get a new coach. Then re-evaluate the players under the new coaching staff.

If a trade should be made in the near future, I would prefer to trade Jones in a package to improve the RW with a more consistent goal scorer but I would prefer that the new player still has some since due to our new conference. With Duke retiring soon, we are weak on that side. On LW we have Lando and most likely Hishon moving there and we also have Galy that can fill in when needed. And this is coming from a Jones' fan.

cyberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Mouse21*

Quote:

I DO NOT WANT TO PART WAYS WITH PAUL STASTNY UNLESS IT'S FOR A PACKAGE DEAL BRINGING A BETTER OFFENSIVE PLAYER.
who knew you had the final say?

Mouse21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Ice Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse21 View Post
who knew you had the final say?
You clearly know why I put the caps on this.

Old
12-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Mouse21*

Quote:
You clearly know why I put the caps on this.
pretty sure i got it.

Mouse21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
You guys know what else?

1. Stastny is better than Oishe. Period.
2. Stastny doesn't have attitude problems so even if management was going to move him, sure as hell won't be for Oishe.
Agreed on both counts. I merely argued that Oshie hasn't reached his potential yet, but even if he had and was a comparable player to Stazz, I still wouldn't do it.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Holyhell
'Crumblers'

vCash: 642
Quote:

Agreed. Having Jones on the top-6 is bad enough. But losing Stastny for anything less than what he is, even a package deal, would kill us this year.

Holyhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:19 PM
AvsFan7*

Yea Stas has more then proved that he can play at a PPG pace, he definitly hit a very long slump and wasnt playing well at all for the first month and a half this year and last couple months last year. But it really does look like he is turning the ship around, he played great against Detroit, was confident with the Puck, played well Defensivly and picked up a huge goal from hard work. He's looked good the last couple games and I think he's close to breaking the slump.

I wouldnt trade him right now unless its in a package for an upgrade To Our Top 6. Im honestly not even interested in Weber or Suter anymore unless its Free Agency and even then Im on the fence. In a couple years a Top 4 of EJ, Elliott, Quincey, and Siemens will be one of the better Defences in the league.

AvsFan7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:54 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyhell View Post
Agreed. Having Jones on the top-6 is bad enough.
What is the problem with having David Jones in the top 6?

I agree he's not a first line player, but I'll gladly take a 25+ goal scoring winger on the 2nd line any day of the week.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

David Jones is a fantastic complementary scoring winger, even on a top line. Problem is, we don't really have that primary scoring winger on the team as of yet.

And really guys...the kid was a NINTH ROUND PICK. He's been an incredible find, and is still incredible value. Admittedly there are holes in his game I find bothersome, especially on defense, but I'm not about ready to give up on him. Also won't be terribly shocked if he's dealt.

Old
12-06-2011, 02:04 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

It seems we have come into a trend of valuing our players extremely low. It comes with the tough results we were experiencing, but it's frustrating to see. Stastny for Oshie? Jones isn't a top 6 forward? It goes on and on. Wake up folks.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:08 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
What is the problem with having David Jones in the top 6?
No goals in his last nine games, two in his last 19.

I feel similarly about Jones as I do Stastny. They're both pretty good players, but neither fit in the line-up very well right now. Sacco is playing Duchene out of position just to keep the aforementioned players in prominent scoring roles, and the result is a train wreck.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Holyhell
'Crumblers'

vCash: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
David Jones is a fantastic complementary scoring winger, even on a top line. Problem is, we don't really have that primary scoring winger on the team as of yet.

And really guys...the kid was a NINTH ROUND PICK. He's been an incredible find, and is still incredible value. Admittedly there are holes in his game I find bothersome, especially on defense, but I'm not about ready to give up on him. Also won't be terribly shocked if he's dealt.
I don't see what him being a 9th round pick has to do with him playing in the top 6.
I just don't think he's suited to the role.

Holyhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

I think Jonesy's offense will improve as we bring in/up more puckmovers who can connect with solid outlet passes. In basketball terms (yeah, I'm going there) Jones is a fastbreak scoring player, and right now it really feels like we're still a half-court team. Jones produces best on breakaways, when he can use his speed to his advantage and create separation. He simply doesn't have the skillset to put up a lot of points running around trying to cycle the puck in the attacking zone. His comparable IMO is Jeff Friesen, which I know is not a great comparable, but the guy could put up some serious points when his speed was utilized.

Get more quarterback-type defensemen in here (yeah, I'm going there too) and I think we will see more of what David Jones can do.

Old
12-06-2011, 02:30 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
Jones' shooting % was astronomical last season, it's more likely he struggles to break 20 goals this year than he duplicates his production from last year

WarriorOfGandhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Pirate Deadpool
Sacco must go

vCash: 130
Quote:
I wish we could get either and would actually prefer Suter, but unless the preds GM is as dumb as sherm the worm I don't think it would happen unless of course the avs throw in more picks/players.

Pirate Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Adama0905

I'm in agreement that I don't want any defensive players coming back for Stazz if we trade him (which is the first time I've ever said that). At this point, the value that could come back for him in defense simply wouldn't cut it. The value that could come back in offense however, could. We could get a pretty good winger methinks.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 03:42 PM
AvsFan7*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post

I feel similarly about Jones as I do Stastny. They're both pretty good players, but neither fit in the line-up very well right now. Sacco is playing Duchene out of position just to keep the aforementioned players in prominent scoring roles, and the result is a train wreck.
I dont think a 3 game win streak is a train wreck...

AvsFan7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
Jones' shooting % was astronomical last season, it's more likely he struggles to break 20 goals this year than he duplicates his production from last year
Jones has had a very high shooting percentage his whole NHL career, which is easy to understand when you see where he shoots from and where he doesn't shoot from. I don't think last year sticks out in any significant way.

He'd be a better player if he shot more.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Adama0905

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post

I'm one that thinks that Duchene probably plays better on Stastny's wing than not. In the end I think the only way that Doucher becomes a prominent offensive force in this League is if he's a winger. And putting O'Reilly and Duchene on the same line without Stastny should (obviously) be a no no, unless we get something else in the way of good offensive..ness.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Foppa Frossa

I think we'll get a good sense tonight what Stastny's value (to the Avs) is. Even though he's not putting up points right now, he does a lot of small things for this team that add up.

Foppa Frossa is offline   Reply With Quote