HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Re-Alignment Proposal: Panthers Info

Old
12-05-2011, 10:10 PM
angry_treefrog
#CatsAreComing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Panther View Post
i just realized that both of the eastern divisions have 7 teams only, thats weird. i guess theyre bringing back the whalers and the nordiques. i always liked those jerseys.
Probably Hamilton & Quebec City if I had to guess.

It's ridiculous that the NYC metro area has three teams and Toronto only has one.

The Leafs will still make their coin. Having the NJD around hasn't hurt the Blueshirts at all.

* If Phoenix is relocated, I could see them moving east and an expansion team out west. Not hoping that happens, but ownership situation is still a mess.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:15 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Probably Hamilton & Quebec City if I had to guess.

It's ridiculous that the NYC metro area has three teams and Toronto only has one.

The Leafs will still make their coin. Having the NJD around hasn't hurt the Blueshirts at all.

* If Phoenix is relocated, I could see them moving east and an expansion team out west. Not hoping that happens, but ownership situation is still a mess.
hamilton? its sandwiched between buffalo and toronto with detroit not too far away either. id guess hartford is more likely.

or maybe something crazy like puerto rico to really get those snobby candians panties in a bunch lol

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:20 PM
angry_treefrog
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
hamilton? its sandwiched between buffalo and toronto with detroit not too far away either. id guess hartford is more likely.

or maybe something crazy like puerto rico to really get those snobby candians panties in a bunch lol
That area could support another team better than Hartford could.

While Toronto would protest, I'd venture to say that they wouldn't even feel it. The Sabres on the other hand might take a hit at the box office.

Old
12-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

So are they going to call them the Adams, Smythe, Norris and Patrick Conferences??

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:56 PM
LUUUUUIS
#CatsAreComing

Quote:

Hawaii

LUUUUUIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:23 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
That area could support another team better than Hartford could.

While Toronto would protest, I'd venture to say that they wouldn't even feel it. The Sabres on the other hand might take a hit at the box office.
I think Markham (just north of Toronto) is more likely, they are building an NHL style rink there and it avoids the Buffalo problem. Would probably still be the Toronto somethings since they are in the region.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:32 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Well the travel sucks ass for you guys, But lets be honest here. The chances of florida making the playoffs every year just got significantly better.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:32 PM
Edgeworth*

Right now it's 16/14

The NHL is prepping for Phoenix's eventual leave to the East that will make it 15/15 again.

They expect Phoenix to leave this offseason. Must ahve a buyer set-up.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:54 PM
Eadig

I don't mind the way the divisions are setup I'm just really hesitant about the playoff format.

Eadig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:56 AM
Edgeworth*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eadig View Post
I don't mind the way the divisions are setup I'm just really hesitant about the playoff format.
Basically this is what you gotta worry about:

Boston, perennial playoff team
Toronto, decent team with one good scoring line
Ottawa, rebuilding
Buffalo, decent but soft and weak down the middle
Montreal, shambles
Tampa, it's Tampa.

We have to be better then 3 other teams. Florida should see more playoff hockey.

That said if I remember right we play within our division, then the other winners from teh other division playoff, then its reseeded in terms of regular season points in a final four, then the cup.

So lets say theoretically:
Boston
Florida
Toronto
Tampa

Boston v Tampa
Florida v Toronto

Boston and Florida win so Boston v Florida

Florida wins and goes into Final Four

Detroit
Florida

Chicago
Pittsburgh

Florida - Pittsburgh cup final.

Florida wins

Rats.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:30 AM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

We're #1,,, we're #1
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...rn=nhl-wp19087

PantherboyHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:04 AM
Eadig

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherboyHTR View Post
That is misleading imo, since every team has a home at home those numbers will even out a bit, also when florida plays inter divisional teams when they visit montreal, toronto. etc all those teams are close to each other so when they are on a road trip they can play all those teams then head back to south florida.

Eadig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 05:17 AM
Acadmus
retired mod

It's idiocy - Florida and Tampa will effectively be added to the northeast division, meanwhile they'll be in a different conference from the teams closest to them in Carolina and Washington.

There were 4 divisions before - I don't understand why they can't simply put Florida and Tampa back into the Atlantic division like they were when they entered the league, since what they're doing now is effectively what could have/should have been done when Atlanta, Columbus, Nashville, and Minnesota joined the league - add them to the existing 4 conferences and simply have them unbalanced in terms of number of teams (and setting the stage for another 2-team expansion).

But this plan - it's ridiculous. It's basically a gift to snowbirds who retain their home loyalties and won't cheer for their own local Florida teams.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 05:41 AM
angry_treefrog
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
It's idiocy - Florida and Tampa will effectively be added to the northeast division, meanwhile they'll be in a different conference from the teams closest to them in Carolina and Washington.

There were 4 divisions before - I don't understand why they can't simply put Florida and Tampa back into the Atlantic division like they were when they entered the league, since what they're doing now is effectively what could have/should have been done when Atlanta, Columbus, Nashville, and Minnesota joined the league - add them to the existing 4 conferences and simply have them unbalanced in terms of number of teams (and setting the stage for another 2-team expansion).

But this plan - it's ridiculous. It's basically a gift to snowbirds who retain their home loyalties and won't cheer for their own local Florida teams.
As a STHer, I'd much rather see the Panthers play BOS / MON / TOR / BUF than CAR / WAS / STL / Columbus.

Old
12-06-2011, 07:12 AM
Panthers are Red
Why so sad?

I would be interested to see how the overall travel distances look for all teams throughout a season before judging. Although at the moment it does look like it puts both Florida and Tampa at a disadvantage compared to the other teams but the home and home games could even travel out a bit.

Panthers are Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 07:38 AM
p9ers

Personnally it will help me see the Panthers more and give me a better chance for tickets.

But Florida and Tampa get the short end of the stick in term of travel. The realigment minimize times zones travels though, which are worse than long flight.

But just to kick the Habs out of the playoff every now and then, I like it! hahaha

p9ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:39 AM
CatWoman34
Fool on the Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
I think Markham (just north of Toronto) is more likely, they are building an NHL style rink there and it avoids the Buffalo problem. Would probably still be the Toronto somethings since they are in the region.
The problem with Markham is they're going to need to increase public transit to the area. Hamilton is perfect because of the direct train links to Toronto via GO transit. Markham has some GO transit, but as far as I know right now it isn't as convenient for those coming from downtown or away from Markham.

But it would work great for those with a car.

CatWoman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:43 AM
TheArchitect*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP of West Hollywd View Post
I welcome a Leafs Panthers interdivisional rivarly, as utterly strange as the combination is
You bring the rats, we'll bring the waffles.

TheArchitect* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:49 AM
May Day 10

Welcome to the Adams Division.

May Day 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:31 AM
RainingRats

I still don't understand why people are upset. We weren't in a great division before. Southeast was the worst in hockey. We've ALWAYS had to travel a ton of miles because of our location. That will never change if you want us to face teams throughout the league.

This is great for us. Season ticket holders get more and better franchises to see on a regular basis, we have better odds for playoffs, and our revenues will go up. I'm pretty excited.

Ottawa and Florida and possibly Toronto could have some serious young talent coming in to the league over the next few years. Should be exciting. I like change. This is good for us.

Last edited by RainingRats: 12-06-2011 at 09:41 AM.
RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:34 AM
IceAce
RAISED IN A BARN

vCash: 7125
Quote:

If they were going to do that, they'd have just put you back in the Patrick/Atlantic with us and the rest of the NY area and PA teams considering all of down in Florida.

I believe that was problematic on two fronts because 1) the league wanted to keep you and Tampa together, and 2) the league wants Crosby vs. Ovechkin 6 times a year so there was no way they weren't coming back into the Patrick/Atlantic.

I think you wound up in the Adams/Northeast because frankly, there was nowhere else to put you.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:42 AM
RainingRats

Quote:

I think they're preparing for moving PHX back to eastern Canada.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Jatt

Quote:
It's also a "gift" to Miami hockey fans to keep their franchise viable and not get into Phoenix or Atlanta territory.

Jatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:57 AM
BabyJagrov

Phoenix will probably become Quebec...

So we will end up in the 8 teams conference on the Eastern front...

Our odds aren't going very high. But I got no problem facing those teams.

We are starting to become relevant again, so bring on the tough opponents.

It would be nice to hear Dale Tallon on this subject !

BabyJagrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:10 AM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersflames1 View Post
I hate the new realignment. the panthers and lightning get the short end of the stick so the rest of the nhl can enjoy.

I could care less about travel the part i do care about is every time i go to a home game at the BAC i will feel like a visiting fan in my own barn have to deal with maple leaf and hab shmucks every night.

No thanks.
Gotta win, grow the fanbase, and then lock out the opposing fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatscratchFever View Post
Swapping WPG with CBJ would be the swiftest, easiest, least intrusive, and most logical resolution for this mess. I don't like 4 conferences, I don't like uneven numbers, and I'm just plain tired of seeing things changed constantly. Side benefit, I would get to see my beloved Panthers 3 times a year in Ohio, woot!
On paper, yes, but that proposal wasn't getting the needed 20 votes. DAL wanted out of the Pacific for time zone reasons, same with MIN, DET, and CBJ.

This proposal isn't perfect, but it's the compromise that was able to garner the necessary support -- passed 26-4 actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
At first glance those conferences make no sense. It just keeps the Atlantic division together, which for some reason is important I guess. Dallas and the two S. Cali teams get shafted as much as we do though, so we're not alone.
DAL is actually thrilled to be mainly in the Central time zone now. No more late nights for the their fanbase watching away games in the Mountain and Pacific time zones. Same in reverse for the Pacific teams, fewer '5p' games when they play the Stars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
So the third round of playoffs, how is it decided who plays who? I know it's a reseed, is it done by points on the season or? Kind of confused.
Hasn't been finalized yet, but according to TSN, the leading proposal at the moment is to reseed based on pts. Remaining team with the most pts plays the remaining team with the least. Other two teams in the other semifinal. But again, not finalized yet, Bettman is going to meet with the GMs separately at a later date to figure that out.

Quote:
i must have heard this wrong, but i swear i heard goldie say that each team would have a home and home with each non divisional team in the league. is that right? it cant be, that would mean we would fly to LA for example and then come right back the next day instead of swinging through to anaheim, san jose, and other teams out west. that doesnt make any sense to me.
Well, it is a home-and-home, but not in the back-to-back sense. Maybe a bad choice of words, but basically just means everyone will play everyone else once at home and once on the road.

Quote:
I guess this means the league is expanding by two teams in the next couple of years.

Both teams will be in the eastern conference most likely. (Only seven teams in each division in the EC, eight each in the west.)

FWIW, I hated the arrangement when I first saw it, but I love going back to the old style of playing within your division the first two rounds of the playoffs.
Their have been some expansion rumblings coming out of the BoG mtgs, but my guess is not for another 4-6 years. Could be wrong, but we'll see. Sure the current owners wouldn't mind the expansion fees filling their coffers.

Quote:
If they are going to do this, they should bring back the proper division names.

Patrick: NYR NYI NJD PHI PIT WAS CAR

Adams: FLA TB TOR BOS MON OTT BUFF (it's growing on me)

Norris: CHI COL DAL DET STL MIN NAS WIN

Smythe: EDM CAL LAK ANA VAN SJ COL PHX
Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
Right now it's 16/14

The NHL is prepping for Phoenix's eventual leave to the East that will make it 15/15 again.

They expect Phoenix to leave this offseason. Must ahve a buyer set-up.
Don't know if they 'expect' PHX to leave in the offseason, but the league definitely won't be running things again next season. If they don't find a buyer soon (end of the season?), Quebec may be calling. This re-alignment definitely took that possibility into consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eadig View Post
I'd argue that the new schedule will align better with the new playoff format. Currently, you play your division more, but compete against the entire conference for playoffs spots. Under the current playoff format, you should play everyone in the conference the same amount of times.

Next season, you still play an unbalanced schedule, focused on your 'conference', but you're competing with your 'conference' for playoff spots. Finally makes sense again and is a big improvement IMO.

Now about that loser point....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
I think they're preparing for moving PHX back to eastern Canada.
Definitely made the re-aligned conferences flexible enough to accommodate should it come that, but then again, Quebec doesn't have their ducks in order like Winnipeg did last year so who knows.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote