HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Re-Alignment Proposal: Panthers Info

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-06-2011, 10:10 AM
  #76
Boooooth10
Registered User
 
Boooooth10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 6,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
You bring the rats, we'll bring the waffles.
Deal!

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:26 AM
  #77
iam76
Registered User
 
iam76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,162
vCash: 500
i work in Hartford and attend UConn basketball and now the Ct whale games every month. Baldwin the owner that is trying very hard to bring the whale has a 100$ million dollar facelift plan for the XL center ( Hartford Civic Center ) The area can support the whalers just fine. We will never be Gigantic but this city wants its team back. The way we lost out on the whalers was bs to begin with.. Our attendance was fine those last couple years.. season tickets were sold out.. But Carmonos wanted to move... Between the patriots almost coming here and losing the whalers this state and town would embrace a pro team. Not saying were are next for a team.. but we are one of a few that are being considered. I for one believe having that great logo back and the brass bonanza playing after every goal would be great for hockey. Now Hamilton or Portland? wtf really....

iam76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:28 AM
  #78
Law
Registered User
 
Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 7,212
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Law
From Dale Tallon to NHL.com:
Quote:
"From the business side, getting Toronto and Montreal and Boston to come to our building is really good for us. Travel is the negative, but hopefully we can work around it. ... The travel is not exactly easy to Winnipeg in our division this year, so we're dealing with it. If this is what is best for the overall competitive League balance, then I'm OK with it."

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:37 AM
  #79
Jeff Shafer
Established: 1987
 
Jeff Shafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,381
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jeff Shafer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
From Dale Tallon to NHL.com:
If Tallon is ok with it, then I'm ok with it now. Still upset though a little.

Jeff Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:39 AM
  #80
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
As a STHer, I'd much rather see the Panthers play BOS / MON / TOR / BUF than CAR / WAS / STL / Columbus.
THIS x 10.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:46 AM
  #81
Madhatter73
Registered User
 
Madhatter73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 661
vCash: 500
Considering it's nearly 700 miles to Raleigh the Panther's will ALWAYS have horrible travel times. (**** you geography!)

It's 1400 miles to Toronto... That's only an extra 1 1/2 hours on the plane from best case (excluding Tampa) to worst case scenario...

It's also VERY likely that they will visit multiple conference rivals on every trip up there which will dramatically reduce the overall travel time.

I only hate that I won't have to give a **** about the Rangers, Flyers, Devils, etc until the post-season... I guess I can still cheer when they lose... Even if it has no impact on us any more...

Madhatter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:46 AM
  #82
Holy Jokinen
Registered User
 
Holy Jokinen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa/Boca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,818
vCash: 500
I'm not opposed to the changes. We have a better chance of making the playoffs with one less team to worry about. Plus you can't focus on how skilled the teams are now because in 5 years we'll all have considerably different teams. Remember how crappy Philly and Boston were only a few years ago? In terms of travel, it sucks. Not really when just considering our travel (we always travel a fair amount just by being one of the most southern teams in the NHL), but considering the comparative travel with our division opponents. But yeah, i like having some Original Six guys in our division. Hopefully this'll bring up some great rivalries.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:48 AM
  #83
KittysGotClaws
We See Red
 
KittysGotClaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: N of BB&T
Country: United States
Posts: 1,840
vCash: 500
I'm going to try to enjoy this year's playoff format one last time. There's still something magical about that 1-8 upset in the first round.

KittysGotClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:55 AM
  #84
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatt View Post
It's also a "gift" to Miami hockey fans to keep their franchise viable and not get into Phoenix or Atlanta territory.
Franchise doing well, but sure better quality teams visiting better for us no question.

The isles are the huge NHL issue and reallignment wont help build a new arena and have fans return.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:02 AM
  #85
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
I guess this means the league is expanding by two teams in the next couple of years.

Both teams will be in the eastern conference most likely. (Only seven teams in each division in the EC, eight each in the west.)

FWIW, I hated the arrangement when I first saw it, but I love going back to the old style of playing within your division the first two rounds of the playoffs.
that old stye was fantastic.

Everyone will love fighting their way out of the conference in playoffs, 7 games of hatred year after year.. It made rivalries what they were.

I am loving this.


Last edited by adam graves: 12-06-2011 at 11:31 AM. Reason: spelling
adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:04 AM
  #86
PanthersHockey1
Bond.
 
PanthersHockey1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UF & Boca Raton
Country: United States
Posts: 5,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittysGotClaws View Post
I'm going to try to enjoy this year's playoff format one last time. There's still something magical about that 1-8 upset in the first round.
Thats bad news for us, we'll be the number one seed.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:25 PM
  #87
angry_treefrog
Moderator
T63813A
 
angry_treefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canary Islands
Posts: 6,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
that old stye was fantastic.

Everyone will love fighting their way out of the conference in playoffs, 7 games of hatred year after year.. It made rivalries what they were.

I am loving this.
Exactly.

Truly epic rivalries are made in the playoffs, not the regular season.

__________________




angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:53 PM
  #88
IdealisticSniper
Registered User
 
IdealisticSniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,771
vCash: 500
Didnt read through the whole thread but heres some numbers for you:

TB and FL will be the most traveled teams in the NHL under this new format. At 1013 miles for TB and 1087 miles for FL as an average travel distance to their division mates. The next closest is Edmonton at 1008 but after that it dips down drastically to Vancouver at 895 miles.

Oh and the poor other Eastern division. They all have an average of only 222 miles to their division rivals. Including Philly who can now literally take a train to all of their games in their division.


This is pathetic and as FL and TB fans we are definitely getting the shaft on this.


Last edited by IdealisticSniper: 12-06-2011 at 12:59 PM.
IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:56 PM
  #89
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Didnt read through the whole thread but heres some numbers for you:

TB and FL will be the most traveled teams in the NHL under this new format. At 1013 miles for TB and 1087 miles for FL as an average travel distance to their division mates. The next closest is Edmonton at 1008 but after that it dips down dramatically to Vancouver at 895 miles.

Oh and the poor other Eastern division. They all have an average of only 222 miles to their division rivals. Including Philly who can now literally take a train to all of their games in their division.


This is pathetic and as FL and TB fans we are definitely getting the shaft on this.
Not a big fan of this realignment, either, too much travel, imo. However, I do hate all of these teams, and actually do more than I do Washington, AtlantaPeg (though, that's there now), and Tampa. It did do a great job putting us against the teams I can't stand. Only ones missing are Philly and NYR.

As I said earlier, we really need to make sure we're a beefy team, though. Boston, Ottawa, TO, and Buffalo to an extent are some big teams.

__________________
So you're saying there's a chance!
Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:08 PM
  #90
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,069
vCash: 500
Well, if you look at all the conferences, we ARE in the weakest conference. So in the next couple years, and with us only needing to be the 4th best out of 7 or 8(depending on if Phoenix moves to Quebec City), this is a golden ticket for us.

But now this means we will probably have to beat Boston in the first or second round every year for the next several years just to get to the semifinals. Not looking forward to that. Also, in a few years Ottawa is going to be a really good team. But I suppose it's still better than having to claw past Philly and Pittsburgh. But it's going to be tough to get past Boston in the playoffs for the next few years. That team is built perfectly for playoff hockey.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:36 PM
  #91
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
If they were going to do that, they'd have just put you back in the Patrick/Atlantic with us and the rest of the NY area and PA teams considering all of down in Florida.

I believe that was problematic on two fronts because 1) the league wanted to keep you and Tampa together, and 2) the league wants Crosby vs. Ovechkin 6 times a year so there was no way they weren't coming back into the Patrick/Atlantic.

I think you wound up in the Adams/Northeast because frankly, there was nowhere else to put you.
They could have placed the Rangers and Islanders in the NE - they're both northeastern teams being in NY (Buffalo is in the NE after all) so it would make sense.

And to the person who said "it's a gift to Miami for keeping your franchise viable" - the team isn't in Miami, for one, and for another you're assuming the team can never build a legitimate fanbase, which it's long been postulated they could easily do if they'd start winning. They're doing that now, so we'll be able to see in a year or two. Don't think the folks in Sunrise want to have even more games each year in which they're outnumbered and outcheered by the Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo, and Boston fans in their own arena. Particularly Montreal and Toronto. Even if it makes the gate look good.

__________________
"...and ultimately it doesn't matter."

Last edited by Acadmus: 12-06-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:17 PM
  #92
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatt View Post
It's also a "gift" to Miami hockey fans to keep their franchise viable and not get into Phoenix or Atlanta territory.
Thanks for not knowing anything about our team, fanbase, or location for that matter.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 05:04 PM
  #93
Gudbranson44
#44
 
Gudbranson44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Miami, Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,194
vCash: 500
I really didnt like it when I first saw it, but I have to say Im coming to terms with it.. Id rather see us play all these teams 6 times a year than I want to see us play carolina or washington, or columbus st louis or nashville for that matter.

We are going to be in a competetive division, itll be fun!
SE has been a joke since started, and Im happy the days of that division is soon counted

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 07:01 PM
  #94
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator
 
Boothinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,060
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus MacGyver View Post
I really didnt like it when I first saw it, but I have to say Im coming to terms with it.. Id rather see us play all these teams 6 times a year than I want to see us play carolina or washington, or columbus st louis or nashville for that matter.

We are going to be in a competetive division, itll be fun!
SE has been a joke since started, and Im happy the days of that division is soon counted
But dont forget from which division two champions in the past 10 years came despite being so bad..

Boothinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:38 PM
  #95
Model T
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
It's not about that, it's about being able to come home. The best part about the eastern divisions is how they'll play a game, finish up and come home. A lot of these guys have families and constantly staying in hotels away from the familiar comforts of home or without their families isn't fun. Yeah it's part of the job but if constant flight is going to affect the play then it should be changed.

Whatever blame Pittsburgh, this redrafted conference is purely because they dont want to split up with Philly.
It's pretty ridiculous to have the Florida teams fly over an entire division to get to the rest of theirs. I completely agree that this plan looks very much like nobody wanted Florida or Tampa Bay so the NHL decided to ignore your interests and just jam you in somewhere arbitrarily.

On the other hand, I would like to put it out there that I'm a Flames fan and we have been dealing with worse in-conference travel than Florida is looking at for ages now, so while this is new for you, it's not new overall. Google tells me the Northwest is 2,897.1 km from end to end, and it's 2,639.7 km from Miami to Montreal. You at least get to stay in a single timezone rather than being stretched across three. I hope I don't come across as rude, I just want to give some context- teams have dealt with ugly travel before and survived.

Model T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:42 PM
  #96
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model T View Post
It's pretty ridiculous to have the Florida teams fly over an entire division to get to the rest of theirs. I completely agree that this plan looks very much like nobody wanted Florida or Tampa Bay so the NHL decided to ignore your interests and just jam you in somewhere arbitrarily.

On the other hand, I would like to put it out there that I'm a Flames fan and we have been dealing with worse in-conference travel than Florida is looking at for ages now, so while this is new for you, it's not new overall. Google tells me the Northwest is 2,897.1 km from end to end, and it's 2,639.7 km from Miami to Montreal. You at least get to stay in a single timezone rather than being stretched across three. I hope I don't come across as rude, I just want to give some context- teams have dealt with ugly travel before and survived.
Wasnt arbitrary. Was about northern teams WANTING to come down here in the winter 3x...

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:44 PM
  #97
KW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iam76 View Post
i work in Hartford and attend UConn basketball and now the Ct whale games every month. Baldwin the owner that is trying very hard to bring the whale has a 100$ million dollar facelift plan for the XL center ( Hartford Civic Center ) The area can support the whalers just fine. We will never be Gigantic but this city wants its team back. The way we lost out on the whalers was bs to begin with.. Our attendance was fine those last couple years.. season tickets were sold out.. But Carmonos wanted to move... Between the patriots almost coming here and losing the whalers this state and town would embrace a pro team. Not saying were are next for a team.. but we are one of a few that are being considered. I for one believe having that great logo back and the brass bonanza playing after every goal would be great for hockey. Now Hamilton or Portland? wtf really....
I would second Hartford getting a team. A substantial side benefit would be that Mike Milbury might have trouble getting out of the state should he go in with ESPN or Versus. Back in the day when he was Bruins coach he once had a major disagreement with referees, and after the game went to the parking lot, found the ref's car, and broke its windows. As he'd told the ref he'd do. So there was supposedly a warrant for him in CT. That's why the Bruins always sent the assistant coach to Whalers home games.....rumors rumors rumors.....but nothing out of that dbag Milbury woudl surprise me much.

KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:47 PM
  #98
angry_treefrog
Moderator
T63813A
 
angry_treefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canary Islands
Posts: 6,482
vCash: 500
It's simple.

1. NHL wanted TB & FLA in the same conference so teams could hit both teams in the same road trip.

2. TB & FLA wanted match ups against Northeastern teams

3. Only one spot was available in "The Conference That Should Be Named Patrick"

4. Two spots were available in "The Conference That Should be Named Adams"

It has nothing to do with "no one wanted the Florida teams".

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 01:20 PM
  #99
catEye
Oh No! We suck again
 
catEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Miami, FL.
Country: Cuba
Posts: 942
vCash: 500
What I don't get is why Washington and NC were moved. They're closer than Toronto and Montreal. That doesn't make sense to me. All I see is the NHL trying to put a Ovi vs Crosby show more frequent on that one. Too much far traveling IMO. I like it the way it is now, with a couple of tweaks would had been fine, it didn't had to be this drastic realignment. Tallon is ok with it, because what else is he going to say?

catEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 01:43 PM
  #100
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
It's simple.

1. NHL wanted TB & FLA in the same conference so teams could hit both teams in the same road trip.

2. TB & FLA wanted match ups against Northeastern teams

3. Only one spot was available in "The Conference That Should Be Named Patrick"

4. Two spots were available in "The Conference That Should be Named Adams"

It has nothing to do with "no one wanted the Florida teams".
Why are so many not getting this? Toronto and MTL love coming down here, Yormack loves their $$.

Once your on a plane, no biggie whether you land in DC or mtl.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.