Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Johnny Boychuk-- yet another reason we need to add D

Old
10-21-2011, 06:12 AM
Don Cherry*

vCash: 500
Johnny Boychuk-- yet another reason we need to add D

This guy has been terrible so far. Come to think of it, he's been terrible since about game 20 of his call-up two years ago. When/if Mcquaid ever comes back from his booboo, Boychuk needs to sit while the inconsistent Kampfer plays a few.

The bottom line is we need to add a steady, vet D.

Don Cherry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 06:26 AM
TMac21
Retooled for 2014

Send a message via AIM to TMac21 Send a message via Yahoo to TMac21
He had a pretty poor game that's for sure. Agree that either he or Quaider should sit and Kampfer get a few more games in.

TMac21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 06:28 AM
TCL40

I don't think he is terrible at all. As a matter of fact in one game he was one of the best players on the ice.

That said I think the team needs to upgrade at D and I think Boychuk is one of those players who is tradable if looking for an upgrade, but right now I don't see the team getting rid of any of its top 6 d-men (including McQuaid once healthy) because after those top 6 the team doesn't have much depth.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 07:04 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
I was going to post how he should be extended...man, one man's trash is another man's treasure I guess. LOL

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 07:15 AM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

Boychuck is a medium-risk, medium-reward player. He will play physical and has a good shot, but he's definitely got some flaws in his game.

A true fan who will always be remembered.
doubleminor138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 07:18 AM
DarrenBanks56

when mcquaid gets back Im guessing kampfer will stay in the lineup and boychuk will sit. We are just better with kampfer in there. He's such a good passer.

DarrenBanks56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 07:36 AM
ODAAT

I like JB but he is my #1 guess as to what D man won`t finish the year in Boston as he`ll be used as a piece to aquire whomever it is that Chia thinks he needs to aquire to help this team.

JB plays hard, plays physical (although often will take himself out of a play to do so), but he makes far too many mistakes handling the puck in his own end, his decision making is questionable when he has it in his own zone.

Clearly one in a long line of beneficiaries playing alongside Z, I`d still like a little more mobility from the back end. This team has seen far worse D-men than JB, but they can do better IMO.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 07:37 AM
Jonathan17
Trollface!

I don't know how we ever won a Cup with such a terrible d-man being our #3-4 guy.

He didn't have a good game last night, but he's been great on other nights. If we need to add another D, it's for depth purposes in case of injury.

Jonathan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 07:42 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
I was going to post how he should be extended...man, one man's trash is another man's treasure I guess. LOL
Consider the source. To the OP, every player on the Bruins is "garbage."

Boychuk had a couple of gaffs last night, but that's the nature of the position. So did Seidenberg. Overall Boychuk's been playing well since the start of the season. But some people will never be satisfied until this team is "fixed."

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 07:48 AM
5 minutes a Knight

Send a message via AIM to 5 minutes a Knight
Quote:
I don't see him coming back next year

5 minutes a Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 07:53 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

Boychuk had a couple of gaffs last night, but that's the nature of the position. So did Seidenberg. Overall Boychuk's been playing well since the start of the season. But some people will never be satisfied until this team is "fixed."
Agreed that every D-man will make the mistakes back there, IMO, and we all see/view games from a different seat, he does so far too often. Like I said, I like JB, but I`ll bet he isn`t a Bruin come March

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:24 AM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenBanks56 View Post
when mcquaid gets back Im guessing kampfer will stay in the lineup and boychuk will sit. We are just better with kampfer in there. He's such a good passer.
No way does this happen. Boychuck had a bad game, but he's had good games as well. He'd have to be pretty consistently bad to get pulled form the lineup.

doubleminor138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:31 AM
nycbruins*

I have been a HUGE Boychuk supporter the last couple years. It's rare to find a physical d-man who can play 20+ minutes/night for a cap hit under $2 million. His presence allowed us not to rely on Kaberle much in the playoffs and was a big part in winning the Stanley Cup.

But I've said before that for this team to be serious threats to repeat, there are still 2 spots that need an upgrade. One is 3rd line W (Pouliot's spot) and the other being #4 d-man (Boychuk's spot)

Not to say Boychuk & Pouliot are bad players by any stretch, but I just believe getting a left-handed veteran solid defenseman to play with Corvo and allow Seids and Chara to be together for the playoffs is key.

And Pouliot is working hard and playing above expectations physically, we need more than 0 points coming from that spot.

But both guys are here for a while because it's very hard to get players of the caliber we need this early in the season.

If we get that d-man and another one is injured, then Boychuk can move the 3rd pairing and be one of the best #5-6 d-men in the league. Or if everyone's healthy and they get that d-man, they can move Boychuk as part of a package to get that 3rd line W we also need.

But this isn't an attack on Boychuk. He has basically played up to a top 4 role on a cup winning team while making under $2 million and making the absolute most of his talents. Forever grateful, just think we need a top 4 upgrade.

nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:40 AM
Concessionaire
Dang.

Boychuck ain't sitting out any time soon.

Concessionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:48 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Boychuk has stepped it up big in the playoffs for two years in a row and he knows the system. He's our best open ice hitter.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:49 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

I'm sorry but it's hard not to love some Boychuk.

Great shot. Hits to kill people. Teammates seem to love him. Energy guy. Honestly to, we don't have much down on the farm to replace him...

I guess you could go with Hamilton and resign Corvo, or promote Kampfer... Who knows.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Alicat
Charge!

I thought he looked decent last night. Not great but decent. The D as a whole looked better with a legit NHLer back in the lineup. I'd wait a few more games to see how things go before saying we need a defenseman.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:55 AM
BruinsPortugal

He looked bad a few times last night but overall he hasnt been that bad this season.

I wanna see what Kampfer can do first but i wouldnt mind bringing in an upgrade to the top4.

BruinsPortugal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:01 AM
Dwatson783
@dwatson783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
I thought he looked decent last night. Not great but decent. The D as a whole looked better with a legit NHLer back in the lineup. I'd wait a few more games to see how things go before saying we need a defenseman.
I'll +1 this. No need to rush things at this stage. I will agree with folks though who believe Johnny would be #1 on the list of potential trade pieces at the deadline if we needed to make a move, mostly because of the skill set duplication elsewhere and the potential to be replaced from within the system in coming seasons.

Dwatson783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:13 AM
CamFan81
Derp

Quote:

Great shot. Hits to kill people. Teammates seem to love him. Energy guy. Honestly to, we don't have much down on the farm to replace him...

I guess you could go with Hamilton and resign Corvo, or promote Kampfer... Who knows.
all of the above is what makes it hard to wanna say this...
But he has regressed the past season+. Some of his decisions PAST our blue line are horrendous... I hope he gets back on track tho

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:19 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:

Honestly, I didn't see anything wrong with Boychuk last night? He is what he is, physical D with a big shot, that will be good 90% of the time, but occasionally does stuff that has you shaking your head.

I thought he was really jumping into the play last night, as were all the D, and it made a huge difference. I think with the defensively sound forwards the B's have, the d-men can afford to be more active.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:31 AM
nORRis8*

Love Boychuck. He is about out only d-man that will take a guy out in the open ice versus Charas board-rub.

nORRis8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:36 AM
nycbruins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
Honestly, I didn't see anything wrong with Boychuk last night? He is what he is, physical D with a big shot, that will be good 90% of the time, but occasionally does stuff that has you shaking your head.

I thought he was really jumping into the play last night, as were all the D, and it made a huge difference. I think with the defensively sound forwards the B's have, the d-men can afford to be more active.
Not ganging up on Johnny or anything, but he had a really tough time with the puck last night. It was like a hot potato most time he had a chance to make a play. I know the ice in Boston is bad, but Johnny did have a rough game, IMO.

nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:41 AM
hubby1746

I like Boychuck but he is a 5-6th defenseman that the Bruins r asking to be a 2nd-3rd defenseman. We need a legit #2 with Chara. Ryan Suter at the deadline anyone?

hubby1746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:44 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cherry View Post
This guy has been terrible so far. Come to think of it, he's been terrible since about game 20 of his call-up two years ago. When/if Mcquaid ever comes back from his booboo, Boychuk needs to sit while the inconsistent Kampfer plays a few.

The bottom line is we need to add a steady, vet D.
Scott, while I agree we have to add a vet D (sooner than later) I dont think Boychuck is a guy that has to go. He is under our microscope but as far as #5 D goes he is pretty good. Poor hockey IQ, but good skills. Tough, mobile enough and a great shot. For a #5 you arent going to do much better.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote