HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Bettman & Goodenow to hear the fans

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2004, 01:02 PM
ehc73

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Bettman & Goodenow to hear the fans

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=99365

On the National, Mansbridge will interview Bettman and Goodenow on Tuesday and Wednesday respectively. Each bigwig will be taking calls from fans (probably selectively screened so someone won't start screaming incoherently at them).

This is just a PR move and will likely have no effect whatsoever. And we'll just hear more of the same crap spewing from their mouths about whatever the hell they choose to focus on ($300 M in losses! Owner's fault! $1.3 M is plenty! Marketplace!).

Old
09-20-2004, 01:17 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
($300 M in losses! Owner's fault! $1.3 M is plenty! Marketplace!).
What a waste of TV time.

Seems like a lot of wasted effort for minimal gain IMO. Does it really matter whose fault it is at this point?

Oh well, the PR dance will continue until both sides start to take substantial financial hits.

Old
09-20-2004, 01:20 PM
Chili

They need to be talking to each other.

Old
09-20-2004, 01:35 PM
DuklaNation

Believe me, if there were more public pressure on the players, they would back off their hard stance in these negotiations. Anyone with half a brain can see that too many teams are not viable financially.

Old
09-20-2004, 01:42 PM
YellHockey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuklaNation
Believe me, if there were more public pressure on the players, they would back off their hard stance in these negotiations. Anyone with half a brain can see that too many teams are not viable financially.
The player's hard stance? The players are the ones that have made concessions in their alleged proposals. The owners are the ones making all the demands and have locked the players out.

And what would impact would public pressure have on the players? Do you really think that they'd give in because the owners have brainwashed the public that is jealous of the players' millions but not the owners' billions?

As for the half a brain comment, it is sad that there are so many people out there with only half a brain that actually believe the owners at face value. Those with fully functioning brains should see the owners' bs and half-truths from a mile away.

Old
09-20-2004, 02:14 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRedGold
The player's hard stance? The players are the ones that have made concessions in their alleged proposals. The owners are the ones making all the demands and have locked the players out.

And what would impact would public pressure have on the players? Do you really think that they'd give in because the owners have brainwashed the public that is jealous of the players' millions but not the owners' billions?

As for the half a brain comment, it is sad that there are so many people out there with only half a brain that actually believe the owners at face value. Those with fully functioning brains should see the owners' bs and half-truths from a mile away.
The players have a hard stance. So do the owners. Thats why they are at a stand still.

And what inpact would public pressure have on the players? Nothing. I think we all know that.

And as for your half brain full brain comments, most people on here seems to be able to embrace both perspectives. Some, like yourself, seem to only be looking from one side. Looking at a few of your comments, you seem to be the polar opposite of the bias people that simply state "the greedy players make too much to play a game blah blah blah".

Everyone involved in this dispute loves this game, and they believe their position is for the betterment of hockey. What is this CBC forum going to accomplish? Nothing but get CBC ratings for the next 2 nights. Both sides might as well just pre-record their rhetoric. Cost certainty! Market value! 200 million is losses! Correction already happening!

Old
09-20-2004, 03:38 PM
Legolas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz
The players have a hard stance. So do the owners. Thats why they are at a stand still.

And what inpact would public pressure have on the players? Nothing. I think we all know that.

And as for your half brain full brain comments, most people on here seems to be able to embrace both perspectives. Some, like yourself, seem to only be looking from one side. Looking at a few of your comments, you seem to be the polar opposite of the bias people that simply state "the greedy players make too much to play a game blah blah blah".

Everyone involved in this dispute loves this game, and they believe their position is for the betterment of hockey. What is this CBC forum going to accomplish? Nothing but get CBC ratings for the next 2 nights. Both sides might as well just pre-record their rhetoric. Cost certainty! Market value! 200 million is losses! Correction already happening!
Public pressure is one of the reasons the NBA player's association caved on their last CBA. The only way the two sides will resume negotiating in my opinion is if one side realizes they can't afford to lose the season. Traditionally, that's been the owners. This time, I think it will be the players. I've heard far more anti-player sentiment this time around than in 1994. Eventually, the players will get sick of playing in Europe or the AHL and will get sick of not being paid their salaries. The only question is will that point occur before the owners have to give in or not?

Old
09-21-2004, 09:26 AM
ladybugblue

If you have Directv you may be able to watch these shows. There is a channel called News World International that shows Canada news and it is CBC. They also show The National in the evenings. I am going to record it to see if it will be on. I just thought some people may be interested down in the U.S. if they get Directv or this news channel. Not sure if this will accomplish anything but I hope the fans are able to at the very least voice their disguist at both parties for NOT continuing to negoitiate.

Old
09-21-2004, 11:27 AM
Go Flames Go*

How do we send questions to them?

I want to ask Bob if he has ever studied Economics and does he understand what he talks about, because it seems he knows nothing of what he talking about.

Old
09-21-2004, 11:50 AM
GabbyDugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Flames Go

I want to ask Bob if he has ever studied Economics and does he understand what he talks about, because it seems he knows nothing of what he talking about.
This should work...

http://www.cbc.ca/national/

Old
09-21-2004, 05:44 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

I remember the famous town hall meeting when CBC found that waitress to ask Jean Chretien questions and coached her how to not take no for an answer. and boy did she ever let him have it. Chretien was dumbfounded.

I sure hope they find some fans like that to hammer these two guys.

Hopefully at least one person will watch this and tell us if they said anything.

Old
09-21-2004, 05:50 PM
hockeytown9321

Well, since I live in Detroit, I can watch this. I already sent my question in: Why did Bettman extend the CBA in 1999 when he knew it was ruining hockey that same year?

Old
09-21-2004, 06:02 PM
Malefic74

I picked up EA's NHL 2005 yesterday. I installed it and went to play a game and my PC crashed. Guess if it's in the game, it really is in the game.

Old
09-21-2004, 06:11 PM
Elyoric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Flames Go

I'm sure it was in his curriculum, however when you become a lawyer you're automatically an expert on everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74
I picked up EA's NHL 2005 yesterday. I installed it and went to play a game and my PC crashed. Guess if it's in the game, it really is in the game.
Awesome.

E

Closed Thread