Notices

NHL approves 4-conference format [mod edit]

Old
12-05-2011, 10:30 PM
dkehler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
there was a reason they begged to move though....

i definitely like the home and home schedule but i am not a fan of being the only canadian team in our conference when the other canadian teams are bunched together in two others....we are going to be the forgotten child even more than we would be otherwise.

we never had rivalries in the norris division...we had them in the smythe....i don't think that there will ever be rivalries of any consequence with cities where nobody could even find us on a map and that we have nothing in common with.

not loving the conference at all.
Bah! In this day and age of every game being on TV, people don't want to be watching a bunch of games starting at 8:30 and later all the time. Believe me, the rivalries will develop over time, especially after a playoff series or two.

dkehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
#FreeHutch

Quote:
we never had rivalries in the norris division...we had them in the smythe....i don't think that there will ever be rivalries of any consequence with cities where nobody could even find us on a map and that we have nothing in common with.
Jets spent all of one season in the Norris division (1981-82). They spent 3 seasons in the nu-Norris (Central division). That's not nearly enough time to foster a decent rivalry with anyone.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:32 PM
dkehler

Whoa, just thought of something. Can you imagine a Winnipeg/Edmonton Stanley Cup?

Old
12-05-2011, 10:34 PM
DeathToAllButMetal
Let it all burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I think it means we'll have 6 out of 41 home games (and road games) against Canadian teams (~15%). The other Canadian teams will be playing Canadian rivals about 10 times at home and 10 times on the road (~25% of the time). So we're going to be the one team that no one else in Canada, east or west, knows much about or has a rivalry with. Not that that necessarily matters, but it could hurt attempts to expand the fanbase into Saskatchewan or Newfoundland & Labrador, for example.
I'm really shocked more people don't have issues here with the new alignment for this reason alone. You guys are giving up VAN, EDM, and CAL for Columbus, Nashville, and Dallas. So you're getting virtually no CDN teams into the Peg for whole seasons, while loading up on games with three teams that nobody in the country really gives a damn about.

I can see this becoming a huge issue in the near future. It's something that could hurt the Jets down the road, once the newness of the team wears off. Hard to imagine much excitement over paying top dollar to watch the Blue Jackets, Preds, and Stars coming to town nine times a year. Same deal with TV. Can't see the Jets on national TV in Canada too often given the usual opposition. I love the Jets being back, but still would rather poke my eyes out than watch them play the Blue Jackets or Predators.

I don't get why the NHL wouldn't just swap Colorado with Winnipeg. Makes more sense for everyone. Winnipeg gets the CDN rivals, Colorado gets Detroit, Chicago, etc. I don't see how this works for either team. Hope they tweak this at some point. Hate the idea of the Jets stranded like that in this new Central.

DeathToAllButMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:35 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkehler View Post
Whoa, just thought of something. Can you imagine a Winnipeg/Edmonton Stanley Cup?
Now wouldn't that be something. I don't think they would care for it much down east, but I sure like it.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
why do people feel the need to ***** and complain about everything.

Why do we need to be in the same division as other canadian teams?

So we can get beat the **** up by edmonton and vancouver all over again?

pass to that

we have a better shot in this division imo

detroit will drop off (maybe... hopefully?)
nashville wont be **** when weber and suter leave
columbus just ****ing stinks
we will be in the playoffs
once you get there anything can happen
it isnt about what teams are good right now.....its about the long term....real rivalries only form against cities you can connect to....vancouver, edmonton and calgary....we know all about them and they about us....there are lots of people from each of those cities living in winnipeg and lots of winnipeggers living in those cities.....that is why the smythe was so much better than the norris and why the jets owners at the time begged to switch.

there will never be a rivalry with those giant, distant american cities.

winnipeg is so obscure as it is.....being the only canadian team not in a group will hurt our exposure....we are going to be ignored in the canadian media and the american media doesnt care about hockey, never mind winnipeg.

peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 700
Quote:

pass to that

While I agree we probably have a better chance in this division, you're kidding yourself if you think it'll be easy.

-Nashville always finds a way. Why would both guys leave when they are willing to pay them? Guess you haven't been keeping up with that and just spitting random rubish.
-Detroit, be nice if they could trend downwards. We'll see.
-Chicago. Screwed.
-St. Louis is trending upwards and has some very good talent.
-Columbus. Self-explanatory.
-Dallas. Who knows really. Could go either way, but I don't think they'll be very one-sided or the other.

Either way, I think it'll be rather competitive.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:37 PM
PostmanPat1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkehler View Post
It would be the biggest thing on the prairies in quite a while. Too bad the television ratings would be horrific in the US.

Regarding "conference" opponents, Detroit wasn't always as good as they are. Neither was Chicago. The Jets are well into their rebuild and once our team matures we'll be the bane of our conference rivals just as much as any other great team today.

PostmanPat1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 850
I'm happy with the new format. It seems to work for everyone but the Florida teams. Interesting that it makes a Phoenix move easy, moving from an 8-team conference to one that currently has 7. Also interesting that there is no mention of a crossover to deal with the unequal conferences.

Although I'm happy with it, it's going to be a damn tough conference for the Jets. Columbus is the only weak team and even then they're better than what they've shown this year.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Whether you accept it or not, Winnipeg IS a midwestern city by many standards. And I think it LOOKS and FEELS more midwestern than Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon or Regina. That is what makes Winnipeg unique among "western" Canadian cities, and I quite like that distinction.
what american midwestern city do we have anything to do with?....or look and feel more like than we do edmonton?

give me some of these standards....

Old
12-05-2011, 10:39 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
While I agree we probably have a better chance in this division, you're kidding yourself if you think it'll be easy.

-Nashville always finds a way. Why would both guys leave when they are willing to pay them? Guess you haven't been keeping up with that and just spitting random rubish.
-Detroit, be nice if they could trend downwards. We'll see.
-Chicago. Screwed.
-St. Louis is trending upwards and has some very good talent.
-Columbus. Self-explanatory.
-Dallas. Who knows really. Could go either way, but I don't think they'll be very one-sided or the other.

Either way, I think it'll be rather competitive.
Where did I say it would be easy????

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Crows*

Hey guys canuck fan here. Just wondering how you guys feel about only playing canadians teams twice a year? In our new conference we get Calgary, edmonton 5 times...

Personally I'm a bit down that I won't be able to see the jets more than once a year in vancouver. That rivalry could be renewed, but twice a year... ugh.

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
Quote:

pass to that

I so agree. We just need a season to start hating these teams and we will be good as gold.

Who cares about the other damned Canadian teams? The only club that matters to me is the WINNIPEG JETS

12-05-2011, 10:42 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1081
Wanted to stop by and welcome you guys to the new conference! It will be exciting playing a team so geographically close to Minnesota!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
I'm happy with the new format. It seems to work for everyone but the Florida teams. Interesting that it makes a Phoenix move easy, moving from an 8-team conference to one that currently has 7. Also interesting that there is no mention of a crossover to deal with the unequal conferences.

Although I'm happy with it, it's going to be a damn tough conference for the Jets. Columbus is the only weak team and even then they're better than what they've shown this year.
Don't worry about this. Teams get better; teams get worse.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Lemon Lover
Forever in Blueland

Everybody is going to be a little grumpy with this initially. But I am so glad they have conference playoffs for the first two rounds. Those series in the old days were EPIC. After 1-2 years of that, new rivalries will be off the charts and the old ones a distant memory.

And LOL, they had no idea to do with Florida and Tampa. Talk about screwed.

Lemon Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
it isnt about what teams are good right now.....its about the long term....real rivalries only form against cities you can connect to....vancouver, edmonton and calgary....we know all about them and they about us....there are lots of people from each of those cities living in winnipeg and lots of winnipeggers living in those cities.....that is why the smythe was so much better than the norris and why the jets owners at the time begged to switch.

winnipeg is so obscure as it is.....being the only canadian team not in a group will hurt our exposure....we are going to be ignored in the canadian media and the american media doesnt care about hockey, never mind winnipeg.
the media wouldnt care about us even if we were in the same division and edm cgy and van
they would only care if we were with toronto

Who would be staying up to watch this team on the west coast 4-6 times a year

it is better for broadcasting (ie: making money) if they go central like this realignment shows

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:44 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 661
It is never easy to win the cup. More times than not you are better off playing a top ranked team in the early rounds. More chance of an upset. I would have liked to see some sort of cross over rule for those times when 2 conferences are really out of balance.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:44 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Don't worry about this. Teams get better; teams get worse.
The exception to the rule for the past 15 years has been Detroit

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:45 PM
Trigger15

I'll never get this obsession people have with being in the same division as Van, Edm, and Cal. Why the duece would you want so many Canadian teams in one division. That mean's there's less of a chance of a Canadian team making the playoffs.

Having the divisions/conferences formatted according to time zones makes WAY more sense than having the Jets in the same division as Vancouver.

Trigger15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

Quote:
the media wouldnt care about us even if we were in the same division and edm cgy and van
they would only care if we were with toronto

Who would be staying up to watch this team on the west coast 4-6 times a year

it is better for broadcasting (ie: making money) if they go central like this realignment shows
in my opinion more people would stay up to watch vancouver than would watch at 6:00 v columbus.

they should have gone with two conferences, kept the home and home idea and then spread the remaining games within the conference to form rivalries.

Old
dkehler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
It is never easy to win the cup. More times than not you are better off playing a top ranked team in the early rounds. More chance of an upset. I would have liked to see some sort of cross over rule for those times when 2 conferences are really out of balance.
Yeah, that's the big flaw with this system.

Old
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
what american midwestern city do we have anything to do with?....or look and feel more like than we do edmonton?

give me some of these standards....
I'm talking about IN GENERAL. Winnipeg feels like Fargo, Omaha, Kansas City, Chicago, etc. with our older buildings and flat topography and Tall Grass Prairie ecosystems. In terms of geography, urban feels and ecology, we feel and look more like a mid-west city than a west city. We also feel and look like Edmonton as well, but in general, we are more of a midwest city. Nothing wrong with that.

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:47 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient kids

The standings right now if under the new format:

Conference A
VAN 31
LA 30
SJ 29
PHX 29
EDM 29
COL 27
CAL 24
ANA 19

Conference B

MIN 37
CHI 35
DET 33
DAL 31
STL 31
NSH 28
WPG 26
CJB 17

Confernece C
BOS 35
FLA 32
TOR 32
BUB 29
OTT 29
MTL 27
TB 24

Conference D
PIT 36
NYR 33
PHI 33
WSH 27
NJD 25
NYI 21
CAR 20

I'd have to say the Jets will be in the toughest conference.

Weakest conference looks like pit, nyr, phi, wsh, nj, nyi, car

AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Don't be so sure of that. Playoff hockey is playoff hockey and it creates rivalries no matter where teams are placed. There are people down here that still hate Edmonton from the late 90s/early 00s.

Congrats on getting your team back and look forward to playing y'all 5/6 times a year

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:49 PM
FBS

vCash: 7350
Can't wait to see the Jets play in Dallas next year!

FBS is online now   Reply With Quote