HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

NHL approves 4-conference format [mod edit]

Old
12-05-2011, 09:49 PM
fatschoonerrat

vCash: 500
I'm excited b/c it means I'll get to see the Jets in person more often and a little bummed b/c it means more games will get blacked out on Gamecenter (and I don't have/want cable).

I'm interested to know why Tampa and Florida are in the NE division. At least they have each other.

fatschoonerrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:50 PM
dkehler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersUlfBobby View Post
The standings right now if under the new format:

Conference A
VAN 31
LA 30
SJ 29
PHX 29
EDM 29
COL 27
CAL 24
ANA 19

Conference B

MIN 37
CHI 35
DET 33
DAL 31
STL 31
NSH 28
WPG 26
CJB 17

Confernece C
BOS 35
FLA 32
TOR 32
BUB 29
OTT 29
MTL 27
TB 24

Conference D
PIT 36
NYR 33
PHI 33
WSH 27
NJD 25
NYI 21
CAR 20

I'd have to say the Jets will be in the toughest conference.

Weakest conference looks like pit, nyr, phi, wsh, nj, nyi, car
The Smythe division was always pretty tough as well. It forced us to be competitive with those teams, although it's true that we were more often than not on the losing end of the scale.

dkehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:51 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Hey guys canuck fan here. Just wondering how you guys feel about only playing canadians teams twice a year? In our new conference we get Calgary, edmonton 5 times...

Personally I'm a bit down that I won't be able to see the jets more than once a year in vancouver. That rivalry could be renewed, but twice a year... ugh.
Sucks as far as national exposure goes but Minnesota is much closer than any other Canadian potential rival so just for that reason alone I'm not too disappointed. And to be honest, I'd rather have Calgary and Edmonton here over Vancouver that much. The Canuck rivalries just seemed forced to me last time the Jets were around.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:52 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

i guess maybe im the only one old enough to remember the great calgary edmonton vancouver rivalries....i seem to be a lone wolf on the subject.

i have lots of friends in other western canadian cities, i travel to those cities quite often, have business dealings with them.....i see that as the basis for good rivalries.

i've only driven through nashville and st. louis, been to dallas only once, couldnt find columbus on a map, love chicago but certainly dont know anyone there.

the rivalries with these teams will be superficial and only on the ice.

peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:52 PM
NHL 96

I'm torn. I really wanted to see us in a division with Edmonton and Vancouver. On the other hand, playing each team once at home is great. The rivalry with Minny will be killer, with lots of fans driving for away games. Eventually, rivalries with Chicago and Detroit too, methinks; I was too young to enjoy more than a couple seasons of Jets 1.0, but I remember who knocked us out that last year.

The one thing I hate is the unfair playoff format where we have to compete with an extra team for playoff spots. I hope to god that they create some kind of wildcard system between 8- and 7-team conferences. This would also make the playoffs more varied from year to year.

NHL 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Jet
Confirmed Pav Basher

vCash: 50
Quote:
The standings right now if under the new format:

Conference A
VAN 31
LA 30
SJ 29
PHX 29
EDM 29
COL 27
CAL 24
ANA 19

Conference B

MIN 37
CHI 35
DET 33
DAL 31
STL 31
NSH 28
WPG 26
CJB 17

Confernece C
BOS 35
FLA 32
TOR 32
BUB 29
OTT 29
MTL 27
TB 24

Conference D
PIT 36
NYR 33
PHI 33
WSH 27
NJD 25
NYI 21
CAR 20

I'd have to say the Jets will be in the toughest conference.

Weakest conference looks like pit, nyr, phi, wsh, nj, nyi, car
Haha really?

IMO Detroit is on the decline. I don't see the Wild having the depth to sustain what they are doing. The Stars are smoke and mirrors right now. Chicago is the real star of the conference, ST Louis is on the rise, and Columbus, is Columbus.

Look at the first 4 teams you list in that 'weak' conference. All Cup contenders right now.

12-05-2011, 09:54 PM
AndersUlfBobby
All Systems Go

This new format makes a move of the Coyotes to pretty much any eastern city (hello Quebec City) or west coast city an easy fix without having to reformat conferences again.

The only place that they can't go to without a negative impact to format is a mid-west city. Can't have 7 teams in western conference and 9 teams in mid-west conference without moving someone to another conference.

Too bad for Kansas City. They're screwed if they thought they had a chance. Oh well, pie in the sky idea of moving into KC anyways.

AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Pavelec4MVP
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
in my opinion more people would stay up to watch vancouver than would watch at 6:00 v columbus.

they should have gone with two conferences, kept the home and home idea and then spread the remaining games within the conference to form rivalries.
I understand the rivalry stuff.

I have to be up for work at 5am
I know I cant stay up to watch thats for sure

And just about anyone I know and have talked too, no one will stay up for a mid week game in Vancouver.

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
Pavelec4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:57 PM
hypocrite*
hypocrite

What this conference re-alignment does is speed up the process of real fans sitting in the seats of the MTS Centre.

More games hosting Dallas, St. Louis, Nashville, Columbus, even Minnesota could be considered a bore, will decrease the amount of $ and games that people without tickets will be willing to pay a premium on.

Just think - those who spend less money because of the commitment will have less chance to get face value scalped price now. Sure Pittsburgh and every team will come once, but for every game they sell, they also miss the game.

It won't be like this year where people are attending the marquee and just selling their garbage games. They will have to start selling their premium games... 15,000 seats some will become availabe.

The waiting list will be moving MUCH quicker now.

The re-alignment is a great thing for true hockey fans.

hypocrite* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:58 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
I'm talking about IN GENERAL. Winnipeg feels like Fargo, Omaha, Kansas City, Chicago, etc. with our older buildings and flat topography and Tall Grass Prairie ecosystems. In terms of geography, urban feels and ecology, we feel and look more like a mid-west city than a west city. We also feel and look like Edmonton as well, but in general, we are more of a midwest city. Nothing wrong with that.
not buying it....winnipeg looks and feels a lot more like edmonton, regina and saskatoon than KC or omaha........

tough to say we belong to the midwestern community when there is no economic, cultural or historic connection to those other cities whatsoever...not today or ever in the past.....we share all of that with western canada.....

if you think winnipeg looks like chicago, i might suggest you take another trip there and look again....same goes with fargo actually.

Old
12-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
i guess maybe im the only one old enough to remember the great calgary edmonton vancouver rivalries....i seem to be a lone wolf on the subject.

i have lots of friends in other western canadian cities, i travel to those cities quite often, have business dealings with them.....i see that as the basis for good rivalries.

i've only driven through nashville and st. louis, been to dallas only once, couldnt find columbus on a map, love chicago but certainly dont know anyone there.

the rivalries with these teams will be superficial and only on the ice.
You are most certainly not the only one old enough to remember those rivalries. $12 7-11 Jets tickets and Jets-Flames-Oilers t-shirts anyone?

And living in one of those "great old rivalry" cities, let me tell you that many, MANY Edmontonians and Calgarians balk at Winnipeg being in the same hockey league with them. I mean, how dare we act like a major league hockey city like them?

I just don't get the over-reaction from some on this. You at least need to give it a chance before writing it off completely.

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:00 PM
dkehler

Quote:
not buying it....winnipeg looks and feels a lot more like edmonton, regina and saskatoon than KC or omaha........

tough to say we belong to the midwestern community when there is no economic, cultural or historic connection to those other cities whatsoever...not today or ever in the past.....we share all of that with western canada.....

if you think winnipeg looks like chicago, i might suggest you take another trip there and look again....same goes with fargo actually.
The stuff you are talking about is kind of irrelevant though. Certainly less relevant than the time zone consideration. And hey, like I said, now we have the chance to meet teams like Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver when the stakes are even higher!

dkehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:01 PM
chancemc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Don't be so sure of that. Playoff hockey is playoff hockey and it creates rivalries no matter where teams are placed. There are people down here that still hate Edmonton from the late 90s/early 00s.

Congrats on getting your team back and look forward to playing y'all 5/6 times a year
QFT. this pretty much negates his argument. the dallas/edmonton rivalry is the 2nd best one of my lifetime behind detroit/colorado.

that was some epic playoff hockey

chancemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:01 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1126
I must admit I like the East coast time slot. Sometimes it's a bit of a rush getting home from work, but I like getting the game in early where my little guy can watch and then still get him to bed before too late.

KingBogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:02 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:

I'm not concerned whether you "buy" it or not. I'm taking more into account than just what the overall buildings look like.

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:02 PM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

I think we could form quite the rivalry with Chicago and Detroit, especially when the day comes we meet in the playoffs.

Nashville is one of the most well run organizations in the league, so that's kind of exciting.

Dallas has a new owner and the future looks bright. I've always liked Dallas.

St. Louis is an interesting one. They used to be one of the most consistent teams in terms of making the playoffs, but we'll see where they go from here. I think the potential is there for some pretty good matchups.

Minnesota is close by and they appear to be coming into their own this year, so I hope they keep it up as they could be quite a tough team.

Columbus, with all due respect i'm not too sure.

Overall, i'm pretty excited to form rivalries with some of the most storied franchises in the NHL in Detroit and Chicago. I would have really liked to face the Vancouvers, Edmontons, etc.. but, it is what it is.

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff

Last edited by Guerzy: 12-05-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:03 PM
AndersUlfBobby
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Look at the first 4 teams you list in that 'weak' conference. All Cup contenders right now.
I'm not talking about just the contenders, but the over-all talent of all the teams in the conference.

Conference D will be the weakling of all the conferences because the top three teams will feast on the bottom 4 next year. Pit for instance will get to play CAR, NYI, NJ and those head-case Capitals 6 times each next year. That will inflate their PTS total compared to teams in other conferences.

The Jets on the other hand will only face one weak sister regularly (Columbus).

AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:03 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkehler View Post
The stuff you are talking about is kind of irrelevant though. Certainly less relevant than the time zone consideration. And hey, like I said, now we have the chance to meet teams like Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver when the stakes are even higher!
time zones have nothing to do with winnipeg being part of the midwestern community of cities on this continent....watch the news tonight....see how often you hear a story about edmonton or calgary and compare that with how often you hear the word columbus or nashville.

i agree that being in with mostly west coast cities isnt the best either, but 2 conferences with a home and home against everyone and then the rest split within your conference would mean not having tons of games 2 hours behind....it would spread it out....playing the same teams over and over is stupid.

Old
12-05-2011, 10:04 PM
chancemc

Quote:
This new format makes a move of the Coyotes to pretty much any eastern city (hello Quebec City) or west coast city an easy fix without having to reformat conferences again.

The only place that they can't go to without a negative impact to format is a mid-west city. Can't have 7 teams in western conference and 9 teams in mid-west conference without moving someone to another conference.

Too bad for Kansas City. They're screwed if they thought they had a chance. Oh well, pie in the sky idea of moving into KC anyways.
well if they move to kc we could probaly move west? i dunno.

chancemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancemc View Post
QFT. this pretty much negates his argument. the dallas/edmonton rivalry is the 2nd best one of my lifetime behind detroit/colorado.

I absolutely loved watching these two teams go at it way back when.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Blue12

Quote:
I'm talking about IN GENERAL. Winnipeg feels like Fargo, Omaha, Kansas City, Chicago, etc. with our older buildings and flat topography and Tall Grass Prairie ecosystems. In terms of geography, urban feels and ecology, we feel and look more like a mid-west city than a west city. We also feel and look like Edmonton as well, but in general, we are more of a midwest city. Nothing wrong with that.
Spot On. Been to every city you listed as a example and I agree Winnipeg has that same "vibe" to it, for me Omaha and Des Moines came closest to Winnipeg in terms what seemed like "home" to me, similar size, topography, buildings. Even the people are different in a sense in the mid west compared to the west and pacific nw. I always thought Winnipeger were quite provincial in a sense(due to being a older city and lack of in migration). In Calgary you don't ask where did you go to high school, or do you know so and so when meeting people. Its assumed your probably new, from elsewhere anyways so why bother.

Blue12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Jet
Confirmed Pav Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddGillForever View Post
I'm really shocked more people don't have issues here with the new alignment for this reason alone. You guys are giving up VAN, EDM, and CAL for Columbus, Nashville, and Dallas. So you're getting virtually no CDN teams into the Peg for whole seasons, while loading up on games with three teams that nobody in the country really gives a damn about.

I can see this becoming a huge issue in the near future. It's something that could hurt the Jets down the road, once the newness of the team wears off. Hard to imagine much excitement over paying top dollar to watch the Blue Jackets, Preds, and Stars coming to town nine times a year. Same deal with TV. Can't see the Jets on national TV in Canada too often given the usual opposition. I love the Jets being back, but still would rather poke my eyes out than watch them play the Blue Jackets or Predators.

I don't get why the NHL wouldn't just swap Colorado with Winnipeg. Makes more sense for everyone. Winnipeg gets the CDN rivals, Colorado gets Detroit, Chicago, etc. I don't see how this works for either team. Hope they tweak this at some point. Hate the idea of the Jets stranded like that in this new Central.
The world is NOT static! This is what I don't think people are getting. We WILL build serious rivalries with the teams in our conference. A couple of heated playoff series will do that. At the end of the day it's not the city the team is from (for the most part, there are certain geographical rivalries), its the team, the memories, the players that build that hate and rivalry.

Do you think Winnipeg seriously has any rivalry with Calgary? Of course not.

As for the conference setups, I believe this is laying the foundation for expansion:

Phoenix moves to QC
NHL adds teams in Golden Horseshoe, and Vegas.

Jet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:09 PM
cheswick

vCash: 574
For those arguing Winnipeg has more in common with Nashville and Dallas than Calgary and Edmonton. [mod]

Dislikes: Uneven playoffs between different conferences. No Canadian teams in conference because I like watching Canadian teams and news on Canadian teams is widely reported on in this country. Divisional playoffs.

Last edited by Jet: 12-05-2011 at 10:13 PM. Reason: These kinds of comments are not necessary and are disrespectful. We can debate and be passionate without insults.
cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:10 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

Quote:
I'm not concerned whether you "buy" it or not. I'm taking more into account than just what the overall buildings look like.
what then?...you mentioned buildings and tall grasses.....i seem to be the one taking, culture, history, economics, demographics into account.....precisely why we are not part of the midwest....most winnipeggers couldnt tell you anything about KC or omaha....most have never been there....most could tell you lots about calgary or edmonton....most know someone there or have lived there themselves.

Old
12-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Jet
Confirmed Pav Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancemc View Post

This is a fantastic example of what to expect. Dallas Edmonton was unbelievable, and for me as an Oiler fan one of the biggest rivalries any team I've cheered for has been involved with.

Yes, Winnipeg/ Edmonton and Winnipeg/ Vancouver were awesome rivalries, but they had less to do with the fact that they were Canadian teams and more to do with the fact that we met every damned year in the playoffs.

Jet is online now   Reply With Quote