NHL approves 4-conference format [mod edit]

Old
12-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
The world is NOT static! This is what I don't think people are getting. We WILL build serious rivalries with the teams in our conference. A couple of heated playoff series will do that. At the end of the day it's not the city the team is from (for the most part, there are certain geographical rivalries), its the team, the memories, the players that build that hate and rivalry.

Do you think Winnipeg seriously has any rivalry with Calgary? Of course not.

As for the conference setups, I believe this is laying the foundation for expansion:

Phoenix moves to QC
NHL adds teams in Golden Horseshoe, and Vegas.
No no no no no no no no no

NO

Sorry, just needed to express my extreme dissapointment in you actually suggesting that option

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:13 PM
hypocrite*
hypocrite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFawney View Post
What this conference re-alignment does is speed up the process of real fans sitting in the seats of the MTS Centre.

More games hosting Dallas, St. Louis, Nashville, Columbus, even Minnesota could be considered a bore, will decrease the amount of $ and games that people without tickets will be willing to pay a premium on.

Just think - those who spend less money because of the commitment will have less chance to get face value scalped price now. Sure Pittsburgh and every team will come once, but for every game they sell, they also miss the game.

It won't be like this year where people are attending the marquee and just selling their garbage games. They will have to start selling their premium games... 15,000 seats some will become availabe.

The waiting list will be moving MUCH quicker now.

The re-alignment is a great thing for true hockey fans.
Bump.

hypocrite* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Andy6
Court Jetster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Whether you accept it or not, Winnipeg IS a midwestern city by many standards. And I think it LOOKS and FEELS more midwestern than Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon or Regina. That is what makes Winnipeg unique among "western" Canadian cities, and I quite like that distinction.
Historically we had a lot of connections with the US midwest, including in sports, with the baseball rivalries and so on. I think it's good for the city to become better known again (it was once very well known) in neighbouring areas. It will hopefully help tourism and economic development. I would have ideally preferred being in a Great Lakes division that included the Maple Leafs and the Senators (rather than, say, Dallas and Nashville) but no one gets exactly what they want.

I also think that this team is a lot better than people are giving it credit for, and that it will be a contender for a playoff spot this year, next year and for many years to come.

Andy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
what then?...you mentioned buildings and tall grasses.....i seem to be the one taking, culture, history, economics, demographics into account.....precisely why we are not part of the midwest....most winnipeggers couldnt tell you anything about KC or omaha....most have never been there....most could tell you lots about calgary or edmonton....most know someone there or have lived there themselves.
culture, weather, economics, demographics (I'm talking European ancestry mostly) are similar imo among mid-west cities.

I think we just need to agree to disagree here. I know that some are very upset about this (a complete over-exaggeration IMO), so we should just leave it at that. I'm not in a mood for arguing, I'm in a mood for celebrating

Old
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
Quote:
No no no no no no no no no

NO

Sorry, just needed to express my extreme dissapointment in you actually suggesting that option
Haha well I'm not saying that is what I would personally do. That is just what I think the NHL wants to see happen.

I think they've wanted a team in Vegas for a while.

peter sullivan
Winnipeg

Quote:
And living in one of those "great old rivalry" cities, let me tell you that many, MANY Edmontonians and Calgarians balk at Winnipeg being in the same hockey league with them.
imagine what they think in chicago, detroit and dallas when the 'ol wennepag jets roll into town.

peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:16 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Historically we had a lot of connections with the US midwest, including in sports, with the baseball rivalries and so on. I think it's good for the city to become better known again (it was once very well known) in neighbouring areas. It will hopefully help tourism and economic development. I would have ideally preferred being in a Great Lakes division that included the Maple Leafs and the Senators (rather than, say, Dallas and Nashville) but no one gets exactly what they want.

I also think that this team is a lot better than people are giving it credit for, and that it will be a contender for a playoff spot this year, next year and for many years to come.
This x 100. Very well said.

Old
12-05-2011, 10:16 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
imagine what they think in chicago, detroit and dallas when the 'ol wennepag jets roll into town.
All the more reason to be in the same conference with them. They used to know how to spell our city's name and they will again.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:17 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Well then I guess it doesn't matter where we go cause no one likes us anyways! We are perpetually screwed

Old
Chief Ten Bears*
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
The world is NOT static! This is what I don't think people are getting. We WILL build serious rivalries with the teams in our conference. A couple of heated playoff series will do that. At the end of the day it's not the city the team is from (for the most part, there are certain geographical rivalries), its the team, the memories, the players that build that hate and rivalry.

Do you think Winnipeg seriously has any rivalry with Calgary? Of course not.

As for the conference setups, I believe this is laying the foundation for expansion:

Phoenix moves to QC
NHL adds teams in Golden Horseshoe, and Vegas.
I don't know about Southern Ontario, and certainly not Vegas... But Phoenix to QC is pretty much lock stock and barrel with this new format... a 7 and 8 in the "west" and a 7 and 8 in the "east", even though each conference is separate, but it would be even steven.

Chief Ten Bears* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Karl

Can't wait to start hating you guys it should be a fun division. It is kind of funny because I was cheering for you this season because I was so happy when you guys got the Jets back. I guess I can continue until the season is done with.

Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:18 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

Quote:
Well then I guess it doesn't matter where we go cause no one likes us anyways! We are perpetually screwed
that's true.

that's why we BOOOO!

Old
12-05-2011, 10:24 PM
chancemc

Quote:
Bump.
the best thing for real hockey fans is the arena guaranteed selling out every night, not ppl letting go of there season tickets whether ur a STH or not.... like really?

chancemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:30 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
16 teams in the west, 14 in the east?

harder to make playoffs in the west
Two 8 team conferences in the west and two 7 team conferences in the east will soon become 1: 8 team conf. and 1: 7 team conference in both the east and west when Phoenix moves to Quebec City in the spring. Don't think this wasn't done intentionally, conf. C get's Quebec and will be with Canadian rivals Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

I'm happy with the new setup.

It's about time the Eastern teams did some travelling.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:40 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Two 8 team conferences in the west and two 7 team conferences in the east will soon become 1: 8 team conf. and 1: 7 team conference in both the east and west when Phoenix moves to Quebec City in the spring. Don't think this wasn't done intentionally, conf. C get's Quebec and will be with Canadian rivals Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto.
that's why two 15 team conferences would have made more sense.

Old
12-05-2011, 10:42 PM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddGillForever View Post
I'm really shocked more people don't have issues here with the new alignment for this reason alone. You guys are giving up VAN, EDM, and CAL for Columbus, Nashville, and Dallas. So you're getting virtually no CDN teams into the Peg for whole seasons, while loading up on games with three teams that nobody in the country really gives a damn about.

I can see this becoming a huge issue in the near future. It's something that could hurt the Jets down the road, once the newness of the team wears off. Hard to imagine much excitement over paying top dollar to watch the Blue Jackets, Preds, and Stars coming to town nine times a year. Same deal with TV. Can't see the Jets on national TV in Canada too often given the usual opposition. I love the Jets being back, but still would rather poke my eyes out than watch them play the Blue Jackets or Predators.

I don't get why the NHL wouldn't just swap Colorado with Winnipeg. Makes more sense for everyone. Winnipeg gets the CDN rivals, Colorado gets Detroit, Chicago, etc. I don't see how this works for either team. Hope they tweak this at some point. Hate the idea of the Jets stranded like that in this new Central.
You can bet that when another Canadian team comes to Winnipeg it will be a Saturday night game on NHiC.

Aside from that, there will be a team that "everyone cares about" at each home game; the Winnipeg Jets.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:48 PM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

Quote:
I just don't get the over-reaction from some on this. You at least need to give it a chance before writing it off completely.
You must be new to the internet.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:11 PM
bromine

So, will there be a playoff crossover possibility or not?

Team strength aside, the teams in the 7-team conferences have a 57% chance of making the playoffs, while the 8-team divisions have only a 50% chance.

That's a significant discrepancy - especially since the measuring stick for success or failure for most teams is making the playoffs.

Anyone heard anything about a crossover?

bromine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

The bad = Won't see tons of canadian teams
the good = The jets chances of making the playoffs just drastically got increased.

Lucbourdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:15 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 6159
I'm fine with the Jets being the only Canadian team in the division for now because ticket sales are guaranteed for many years. In 10-20 years if ticket sales are anything less than constant sellouts we'll see games against Dallas, Columbus and Nashville drawing less fans and hurting the team financially. We'll likely see more realignment by then anyways so this is just speculation.

I'm looking forward to traveling to Minnesota for Jets games and being really obnoxious

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:17 PM
Sweech
COYS!

I really like our new division. Lots of teams I really like, but man is it ever looking like it will be tough.

As for all the "rivalry" talk going on:

Proximity and location have nothing to do with rivalries. Rivalries are built around the playoffs and player injuries. You keep seeing the same team over and over in the playoffs (think Vancouver and Chicago recently) you'll probably develop a rivalry for each other. Someone from on of those teams majorly injures one of your players? Usually turns into a rivalry as the following games will often be very physical affairs.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:20 PM
leafster7
Leafs and Jets fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
I'm happy with the new setup.

It's about time the Eastern teams did some travelling.
C'mon, don't be like that.

leafster7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:24 PM
No Name Poster
Maurice Navidad

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
I agree with this fully. Gary knows it's time to cut bait in Glendale. The only issue I have with this new format is the 16 vs 14. Thankfully that will likely never see the light of day.

Vive les Nordiques

No Name Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:24 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

a good point was raised in the BOH thread.....this makes the NHL much more tribal.

currently, or if they had two 15 team conferences, half the league affects your place in the standings...this significantly broadens interest in games not involving your team.....people in the west dont care all that much about the teams in the east...next year that will be significantly increased and there will be 22 teams that have nothing to do with your team in the standings.

if we were in the western conference in the set up we have today, all those calgary, edmonton, vancouver games that we see almost on a nightly basis on TSN, Sportsnet or HNIC would have meaning to us and would make them more engaging to watch....similarly, jets games would have some bearing on the teams in those cities, likely increasing ratings outside of our market and increasing the likelihood that we would get coverage beyond our own market.

next year, except for jets games on TSN local, very few games televised in the winnipeg market, will have any bearing on the jets and their standings.....this will likely reduce interest in those games hurting viewership...i know personally i will not be as inclined to watch all those canadian team games if it has no bearing on the jets.

we will also see a significant decrease in the already small number of games televised nationally.....winnipeg will be the ugly duckling of canadian teams...not only will we rarely play other canadian teams, we will rarely play american teams that affect the standings of the other canadian teams.

the tribal set up might hurt the NHL ratings in general for games televised beyond local markets.

Last edited by peter sullivan: 12-05-2011 at 11:31 PM.