HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHL Approves New Four-conference Format For Next Season

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2011, 09:03 PM
seanlinden

vCash: 500
Even as a Leaf fan who would stand to benefit from being in a 7-team division..I have to say this is a major step back for the NHL.

Dividing the league in half was a good idea, dividing it into 4 is not. It'll confuse the average fan that they're trying to draw to the game, greatly increase travel for the average team, and mean that over 1/2 of the season's games represent absolutely no rivalry. Sure, you can create rivalries with 6 games against a team, but having more teams that you play 6 games against reduces the importance of those rivalries.... and you can't create rivalries with 2 games against a team in a given year. With this ridiculous system, you're just asking for the exact same matchups every single year in the playoffs, it takes a ton of intrigue out of the game.

To me, this reeks of children at work, concerning themselves most with what's "fair" as opposed to what's in the best interest of the league. It's also a failed attempt, as shown by the obvious 7 vs 8 discrepancy.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:03 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittco View Post
this should up their ticket sales a bit- no more atlanta/carolina games and instead teams snow birds from the north and canada will want to see
No, that would be Detroit. No offense to any Florida fans, but most Canadians couldn't care less about those two franchises.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

This is kind of exciting for me. The first major realignment I've been around to see.

Old
Ignoramus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Poor MoreOrr, probably the person most excited about realignment and his team (and Buffalo) are probably worst off. Everyone gained something, not Boston and Buff are in a div with canadian teams, and 2 teams in florida. I'd be steamed.
Why would Boston or Buffalo be "steamed"? Both teams are staing in the same division, just adding Florida and Tampa.

Old
slippy627

YAY!...plus it willl make it easy to add Quebec to the east conference.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Sad Leafs fan

vCash: 1807
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
No, that would be Detroit. No offense to any Florida fans, but most Canadians couldn't care less about those two franchises.
Actually quite a few Canadians own season tickets in Tampa and Phoenix. I don't know about the Panthers.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:05 PM
DocBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
4/7chances to make the playoffs is way better than 4/8
QC will be in that div next year. They are also screwed on that front.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:07 PM
RandR

Yahoooeeyyy!

According to that TSN story
Quote:
Discussion and the vote to approve the new realignment plan at the NHL Board of Governors mettings in Pebble Beach, California took an hour.
An hour.

Elliotte Friedman was the man on this story... had it dead on.

And next season won't come soon enough. Bring on those divisional playoffs.

Time for beer!

Old
12-05-2011, 09:07 PM
DocBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Belvedere View Post
Why would Boston or Buffalo be "steamed"? Both teams are staing in the same division, just adding Florida and Tampa.
They just lost 2 games against all the atlantic teams, and are now in a division with canada and florida. Whats to love?

Now that being said, I love this set up, but I can understand why buff and boston fans arent too happy.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Hockey Nightmare

How come the West gets ****ed with 8 teams? They should at least have a crossover. Top two teams in each conference gets in, the rest are wildcards.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:10 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2525 View Post
Actually quite a few Canadians own season tickets in Tampa and Phoenix. I don't know about the Panthers.
Those that live down there, yes, but for the rest of us? When was the last time you got excited for a Tampa or Florida game? Might as well be playing the Coyotes or Thrashers.

Old
slippy627

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Both teams attract a lot of Snowbird sales when Canadian clubs visit, especially Montreal and Toronto. That helps a lot.
buffalo too.........everything time the sabres score in either florida or tampa bay you think they are the home team.

Old
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take the Shot View Post
How come the West gets ****ed with 8 teams?
...because one of them will be moving to Quebec soon.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Sad Leafs fan

Quote:
They just lost 2 games against all the atlantic teams, and are now in a division with canada and florida. Whats to love?

Now that being said, I love this set up, but I can understand why buff and boston fans arent too happy.
You make it sound as if Canada is some kind of disease.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take the Shot View Post
How come the West gets ****ed with 8 teams? They should at least have a crossover. Top two teams in each conference gets in, the rest are wildcards.
It's quite obvious that it's because the governors were told odds were Pheonix was possibly moving.

Unless some ''miracle deal'' can be struck at the last second very soon, they are going to Quebec City. Nowhere else is ready with both an owner and a place to play.

I'm truly convinced of it.

And by the way I'm really happy with this new ''4 Conferences setup'', I cant wait for the rivalry with the bloody Habs to start again!

Old
12-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Sad Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
Those that live down there, yes, but for the rest of us? When was the last time you got excited for a Tampa or Florida game? Might as well be playing the Coyotes or Thrashers.
In my little corner of the world, just east of TO I know a few couples that have winter places in FL and AZ and 7 of them have season tickets. Four have season tickets for the Leafs too....must be nice to have money

Old
12-05-2011, 09:15 PM
KzooShark

I think people are going to end up a lot more upset about the "divisional playoff top-4" setup this time around.

16 out of 21 making it means you have to be a failure to miss the playoffs. (sure, it was 24 by 1993 when it ended, but 2 year expansion teams don't make the postseason).

16 out of 30 and finishing 5th in a group of 8 a dozen points ahead of the team that finished 4th in another group? People gonna be mad.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:16 PM
DocBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2525 View Post
You make it sound as if Canada is some kind of disease.
I live in canada.

I'm talking from an american teams perspective is all.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Hockey Nightmare

Florida in the East is the equivalent of Phoenix in the West.

Oil fans are louder during Phoenix games than Coyote fans.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:18 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Damn it to Hell!

First off, I must say that I appreciate greatly some of the comments that some of you made about me following the League decision. It cheered me up a bit, but not from the news about the realignment decision. You see, I had a minor surgery on Friday, nothing serious really, but I've been taking medication against infection and the like and this afternoon it made me sick, my stomach couldn't take it. So that's why I wasn't around to get the news immediately. How ironic hey.

But ****, now a worse alignment than already existed for me to complain about until the next time a realignment opportunity comes up. That's if the Mods allow me to complain; I'm imagining they're soon going to want a sabbatical from this topic.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:19 PM
RandR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
It's quite obvious that it's because the governors were told odds were Pheonix was possibly moving.

Unless some ''miracle deal'' can be struck at the last second very soon, they are going to Quebec City. Nowhere else is ready with both an owner and a place to play.

I'm truly convinced of it.

And by the way I'm really happy with this new ''4 Conferences setup'', I cant wait for the rivalry with the bloody Habs to start again!
I'll give my left *** to see the Nordiques play the Habs in the playoffs again. These series were unforgettable.

Phoenix is a pretty good team right now ... making the playoffs could be tough in the new East division (Adams maybe?). Battles for 4th spot here we come!

Old
12-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLhockey437 View Post
lol @ FLA/TBL taking it up the butt on this one, both teams have to be so pissed.
They sure as hell got a better draw than Carolina, from a competition standpoint at least.

It was a money driven move, and the snowbirds coming down south means that Florida and Tampa, especially Florida, will see their attendance go up. There's going to be more butts in the BankAtlantic Center seats when the Panthers are playing the Canadiens than there were for the Hurricanes, to put it simply.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
12-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Sad Leafs fan

I would have preferred to have the Jets and the Wings just switch, until the Yotes situation is finalized but no way Bettman wanted the Wings in the east so we have what we have.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:21 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Radical indeed. Wow. However...(and I'm not going to dig up my previous posts in other threads), I got everything I wanted. I wanted a focus on divisional games, to play every team in the league home-and-home at the very least, a divisional playoff format, and a playoff format that enabled the potential for any two teams to vie for the Cup in the final. I think it's outstanding. Imagine in baseball if the Red Sox and Yankees could play in the World Series...or if the Steelers and Patriots could play in a Super Bowl. That kind of stuff needs to be possible. If the best two teams are in the same division or conference, with a typical playoff setup, that'll never happen. I almsot can't wait for this season to be over, to fast forward to next year to see how it pans out.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Ignoramus*

Quote:
They are already in a division with "Canada", as if that's even a bad thing. Yeah, nothing Boston fans hate more than a Saturday night game against the Habs or Leafs. Can't give those tickets away. Ditto for Buffalo, that city just hates it when the Leafs of Habs come to town. Completely empty arena most of the time.

The "balanced schedule" isn't perfect, but the 4 division structure is far better than the 6 division structure though, that's for sure.

I'm not sold on doing away with conferences at all; hope that's a bit of misinformation because I've heard nothing about it before today.

Closed Thread