HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHL Approves New Four-conference Format For Next Season

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2011, 09:23 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

vCash: 500
this screws for the canes competitively.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:26 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
Oh wonderful.

I'd rather blow up the cozy little nest. The Habs are now in Russia and the Florida teams are in Kaliningrad.
What did the NE fans prefer? Did they want Detroit in their division?

I would have liked that, but I knew hell would freeze over before the rest of the NHL allowed it.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:27 PM
Ignoramus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
Those that live down there, yes, but for the rest of us? When was the last time you got excited for a Tampa or Florida game? Might as well be playing the Coyotes or Thrashers.
I don't know when the last time was, but I can tell you the next time will be sometime next year when those games will have very real playoff relevance. Intra-conference games are going to be HUGE. Each one is going to be so important, which I think is a damn good thing.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:34 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chihawkswi View Post
I think the divisions will be

West, Central, Atlantic. I guess the FLA/TB division has to be called East.

I received a funny tweet that said their division should be called "Cold Places & Screw Florida"
Heh, basically. Tampa Bay and Florida got screwed. Looks good for everyone else though.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:34 PM
EastCoastSensFan

Like all changes most ppl will learn to accept or even like it as time goes on and in 15 years or so all the new fans will not even know the difference( like we are seeing today from younger fans about the change back to divisional play)

Old
12-05-2011, 09:35 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
hope you recover quickly, and heal faster, More.....

The entire downside to this is for those Quebec fans thinking Phoenix is arriving there, it was reported that's not part of this, nor was it ever a consideration no matter what the NHL Decided.

The Other downside is, what a tremendous challenge it's going to be for this forum to update to this approved radical change in realignment from where it is now w/ the current alignment, where each franchise has its forum and continue discussions while upgrading to reflect the new alignment.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Ignoramus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
and a playoff format that enabled the potential for any two teams to vie for the Cup in the final.
That part didn't happen.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:38 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
The Atlantic division got to stay in "their cozy little nest" as well. They still have the least travel, by far, in the league and gain Alexander Ovechkin and the Washington Capitals.

The Central division gets its more balanced schedule it was insisting on, along with every team being either in the ETZ or CTZ.

The Pacific division teams also get the more balanced schedule they wanted and have every team in the Mountain or Pacific time zones.

The Northeast gets...?
Look at it another way. In the last realignment in 98, the Northeast got Toronto. Washington got screwed in 98, Dallas got screwed in 98, and the Patrick division lost a rival in Washington. Before the season starts back up again next year, the Northeast might also get Quebec back. So in the grand scheme, it's not a total loss for the Northeast.

And again, no team in the east should complain about travel.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:38 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post

I would have liked that, but I knew hell would freeze over before the rest of the NHL allowed it.
This NE fan didn't want 4 Divisions, as you all know.

But as for 4 Divisions, I posted all of these options yesterday as making more sense to me than what exists starting next Season:
Quote:
Insisting on a 4-Division structure, one of these options makes some degree of sense with respect to the Northeast group (pretty much in order):

1) Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Detroit

2) Boston, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Columbus

3) Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Buffalo, Detroit, Minnesota, Winnipeg

4) Montreal, Boston, Islanders, Rangers, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Washington

5) Montreal, Boston, Islanders, Rangers, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh

6) Ottawa, Montreal, Boston, Islanders, Rangers, New Jersey, Philadelphia

7) Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Carolina

Any of those 7 groupings works for me, and they all include only 7 teams with the idea that Quebec City is likely to get a team sooner or later.

Though my best hope for now seems to be one of these:

Boston, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Buffalo, Minnesota, Winnipeg
or
Boston, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Buffalo, Columbus, Carolina
or long shot
Boston, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Carolina
I know, I know, some of them separate Boston and Montreal, but it just goes to show that I try to use zero bias when considering League things. And at least, IMO, all of those alignments have some degree of sense in one way or another.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:39 PM
wildthing202

Send a message via AIM to wildthing202 Send a message via Yahoo to wildthing202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post

Pittsburgh and Columbus for Buffalo anyway.

Now the Atlantic has the shortest distance for road games by a large margin.

Looks like the NHLPA has to agree on this as well, think they might object?

Old
12-05-2011, 09:40 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

RT @andystrickland: League source "don't get caught up in two confereces having 7 vs two having 8 teams...NHL may expand to 32 teams and all 4 will have 8 #NHL

Old
12-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

In the East, the league wanted to preserve rivalries or re-instate them. In the West, the league wanted to make intra-conference travel easier (e.g. no Central time zone teams with Pacific time zone teams).

So no breaking up major NE division rivalries. No breaking up major Atlantic division rivalries. No breaking up major Southeast division rivalries (of which there is only one: Florida and Tampa Bay). The agreed proposal accomplished all the above.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:42 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

this pretty much shows the NHL's hand when it comes to phoenix.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:43 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Hey, at least the Bruins beat Pittsburgh tonight. It would've been good I guess if the League could've convinced the Penguins to be in the Division with us, along with Columbus.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Ignoramus*

TSN Update: West & East Not Gone Yet...

"NHL general managers will determine the playoff structure after round two in the proposed realignment.

The concept of re-seeding is a strong contender, however the league wants the general managers' input before implementing."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=382065

Looks like 4 divisions and divisional playoffs are a go, but re-seeding after the 2nd round is still up in the air.

I'm personally against the move so I hope it dies. I think you need to keep the East/West or Campbell/Wales.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:44 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Even as a Leaf fan who would stand to benefit from being in a 7-team division..I have to say this is a major step back for the NHL.

Dividing the league in half was a good idea, dividing it into 4 is not. It'll confuse the average fan that they're trying to draw to the game, greatly increase travel for the average team, and mean that over 1/2 of the season's games represent absolutely no rivalry. Sure, you can create rivalries with 6 games against a team, but having more teams that you play 6 games against reduces the importance of those rivalries.... and you can't create rivalries with 2 games against a team in a given year. With this ridiculous system, you're just asking for the exact same matchups every single year in the playoffs, it takes a ton of intrigue out of the game.

To me, this reeks of children at work, concerning themselves most with what's "fair" as opposed to what's in the best interest of the league. It's also a failed attempt, as shown by the obvious 7 vs 8 discrepancy.
That would be Brian Burke's take on the matter.

I think the concession to the old Eastern Conference teams was making it easier for them to make the playoffs and allowing them to stay with the same teams they are with today, plus two extra.

Every Western Conference team, plus Winnipeg and especially Detroit and Columbus got the worst end of this re-alignment, BUT a better deal than they both have now. Teams like Winnipeg, Columbus, St. Louis and probably Minnesota have very little chance to make the playoffs, Detroit and Columbus are STILL the only two Eastern Time Zone teams in their Conference and they are not paired with the teams closest to them and are not paired with good draws. Detroit is the only great road draw in that entire grouping.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Hawker14

Huge fan of this.

Central is Nice !

Old
12-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Mike in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
RT @andystrickland: League source "don't get caught up in two confereces having 7 vs two having 8 teams...NHL may expand to 32 teams and all 4 will have 8 #NHL

Make it 36!!!

*ducks*

Old
12-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthing2022000 View Post

Do they? I didn't think their approval was needed.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:48 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthing2022000 View Post

No kidding. The Atlantic Division just keeps getting smaller in relation to all other Divisions in the League. It's the Division that should be stretched down to Florida.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:52 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker14 View Post
Huge fan of this.

Central is Nice !
The central rules! Never wanted to be with Dallas in a division of 5 but in a conference of 8 it's perfect.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:53 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Of course since I disagree with this alignment I'm going to think that it's a failed attempt at improving the realignment situation. But still, I don't believe this is what Bettman set out to acheive. I do think it's a degree of failure for him, since that's what some of you saw it as, a Bettman project.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:55 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
Look at it another way. In the last realignment in 98, the Northeast got Toronto. Washington got screwed in 98, Dallas got screwed in 98, and the Patrick division lost a rival in Washington. Before the season starts back up again next year, the Northeast might also get Quebec back. So in the grand scheme, it's not a total loss for the Northeast.

And again, no team in the east should complain about travel.
Nope, definitely not, but you can still see why the 5 teams currently in the Northeast would vote against it.

If Phoenix moves to Quebec, then it will probably go a long way to making teams like Montreal and Ottawa happy.

Hopefully the Leafs continue to push the league on moving the Red Wings to the Northeast in the case of any future realignment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post

Old
12-05-2011, 09:58 PM
C77

For the mid-term economic viability of the two Florida franchises this is probably the best thing that could have happened to them. They get 3 home games with each of the Leafs, Habs, and Bruins.

But I also think there is something else at play here.....One has to figure that in that division more often than not it's going to be the former Northeast Division teams making the playoffs in part due to their finances....which means big big $ for the owners if Montreal/Toronto/Boston are making the postseason regularly.

So it kind of cuts both ways for Florida/Tampa Bay fans.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:59 PM
asusgig

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
No kidding. The Atlantic Division just keeps getting smaller in relation to all other Divisions in the League. It's the Division that should be stretched down to Florida.
I agree 100%...I think for travel's sake, the 'northeast' (Tor/Mtl/Bos/Buf...) should have Pit and Phi. Florida and TBY should've went with Carolina/Wsh/NYR, etc.
That is Mr. Bettman scared that Sidney might not face OV as much, or the Pens/Flyers/Caps/Rangers might not play as much against each other. That would mess up NBC's hockey coverage.

Closed Thread