HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHL Approves New Four-conference Format For Next Season

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
Nope, definitely not, but you can still see why the 5 teams currently in the Northeast would vote against it.

If Phoenix moves to Quebec, then it will probably go a long way to making teams like Montreal and Ottawa happy.

Hopefully the Leafs continue to push the league on moving the Red Wings to the Northeast in the case of any future realignment.

Burke actually sounded supportive of it in a Globe article.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:00 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
RT @JonathanWillis: I'm just amazed that at least 12 NHL teams were in favour of a system that sees their chances of making the playoffs cut.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:05 PM
wildthing202

Send a message via AIM to wildthing202 Send a message via Yahoo to wildthing202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Do they? I didn't think their approval was needed.
Yep according to Dreger:

https://twitter.com/#!/DarrenDreger/...91920521936896

NHLPA spokesman Jonathan Weatherdon says, "Realignment requires an agreement between the league and the NHLPA."

Old
12-05-2011, 11:07 PM
C77

Quote:
On the other hand, why would he publicly oppose something that will likely get his team in the playoffs more often?

Old
12-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Shwag33

I just think its stupid its easier to make the playoffs in some divisions than others...

Old
12-05-2011, 11:09 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

In my opinion this stinks without 32 teams. Happy to see that everyone plays home and away.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:11 PM
C77

Quote:
Originally Posted by czwalga View Post
I just think its stupid its easier to make the playoffs in some divisions than others...
not to get OT from business...but it has always and will always be that way. Right now if you are Columbus/St. Louis you get to play Detroit and Chicago 6 times a year as it is. Last year it was the Pacific Division with 4 tough teams hurting each other's chances to make the playoffs.

The cream always rises...if your team didn't accumulate enough points, then it simply wasn't good enough.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:11 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Of course since I disagree with this alignment I'm going to think that it's a failed attempt at improving the realignment situation. But still, I don't believe this is what Bettman set out to acheive. I do think it's a degree of failure for him, since that's what some of you saw it as, a Bettman project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthing2022000 View Post
Yep according to Dreger:

https://twitter.com/#!/DarrenDreger/statuses/143891920521936896

NHLPA spokesman Jonathan Weatherdon says, "Realignment requires an agreement between the league and the NHLPA."
Yeah, I saw that, but Bettman sounded like he wanted to inform the NHLPA, but didn't need approval:
Quote:

However, the move is not yet official. Bettman said that will not happen until he speaks to the NHL Players’ Association. “The union has weighed in on the subject and I want to see what their position is before making the final decision,” he said.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2261147/

Old
12-05-2011, 11:13 PM
dronald

Old
12-05-2011, 11:14 PM
htpwn

Quote:
I believe he is and I think the organization is as well.

Burke seems to relish competition, probably has an attitude similar to that of the Blue Jays for many years. If you can't beat a team during the regular season, what chance do you have in the playoffs? Plus, the Leafs always seem to play well against the Wings.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:18 PM
RandR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Of course since I disagree with this alignment I'm going to think that it's a failed attempt at improving the realignment situation. But still, I don't believe this is what Bettman set out to acheive. I do think it's a degree of failure for him, since that's what some of you saw it as, a Bettman project.
Hey MoreOrr it's not just some of us here.

From the closest thing that Canada has to a national newspaper:
Quote:
The governors coming out of the meeting said the plan was adopted so smoothly because Bettman did his usual masterful job of laying the groundwork for a solution before the meeting. He was familiar with what each club wanted and managed to work around that with the four-conference plan.
NHL governors approve four-conference format

I wouldn't go as far as saying it was "masterful", but I do think this won't be the only article that we'll be seeing that says or implies that Bettman's grip on the league is as strong as ever.

A quote from Bettman in the same article:
Quote:
“I laid out the proposals for both,” Bettman said. “That may have simplified things for some people.”
This quote I really have wonder about; Bettman makes it sound he was dealing with a bunch of children who needed the options spelled out in front of them. I know there are a lot of politics in his job, but it's quotes like that and his non-information update on nhl.com last week that make me wish he would at least be more straight up with the public.

Anyways, I know you're disappointed by this result. And sorry to hear about your recent surgery and I hope you completely recover quickly. (I can relate bigtime to medications being hard on the stomach.) Dedicated fans like yourself on this board creates lots of conversation even if we were on opposite sides on this alignment issue. You are one of the stars here!

Last edited by RandR: 12-05-2011 at 11:38 PM. Reason: wouldn't not would
Old
12-05-2011, 11:20 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post
For the mid-term economic viability of the two Florida franchises this is probably the best thing that could have happened to them. They get 3 home games with each of the Leafs, Habs, and Bruins.

But I also think there is something else at play here.....One has to figure that in that division more often than not it's going to be the former Northeast Division teams making the playoffs in part due to their finances....which means big big $ for the owners if Montreal/Toronto/Boston are making the postseason regularly.

So it kind of cuts both ways for Florida/Tampa Bay fans.
except that the Florida teams draw more fans to games when they're playing teams from NY, Philly, etc. They should've been in with the old Atlantic division teams and sent Was and Car to play in the Northeast.

If anyone thinks this wasnt done solely to get Crosby vs Ovechkin, 6 times a year, you're kidding yourselves.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:22 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Looks like the NHLPA has to agree on this as well, think they might object?
They would need a strong and justifiable reason to object.

Division/Conference alignment, league schedule, and playoff structure are not items covered in the CBA. They are included in the NHL By-Laws (to which the NHLPA is not a party) and included in the CBA as part of the League Rules.

The League is required to notify the NHLPA about any proposed changes to teh League Rules. There is no requirement in the CBA that the NHLPA consent to those changes - unless they "affect terms or conditions of employment of any Player" - which arguably they do not, and even if they did, they fall under the caveat that that consent "shall not be unreasonably withheld".

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA Article 30.3
30.3 Amendments. The NHL and its Clubs shall not, during the term of this
Agreement or any extension thereof, amend or modify the provisions (or portions
thereof) of the League Rules or any of the League's Playing Rules in existence on the
date of this Agreement which affect terms or conditions of employment of any Player,
without the prior written consent of the NHLPA which shall not be unreasonably
withheld. The NHL shall furnish any proposed amendment to the League Rules to the
NHLPA on a rolling basis regardless of whether such proposed amendment may impact
terms and conditions of employment.
Of course, all of that is sort of moot, since the changes don't take effect until next season - which will be under a new negotiated CBA.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:22 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
So I don't get it, how do the playoffs work now?

Old
12-05-2011, 11:30 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
4 teams from each conference. They first round is 1-4 and 2-3 from each. The second round has the winners of each of those play (conference final). Then all the conference champions are seeded 1-4 and 2-3 for the semis

Old
12-05-2011, 11:31 PM
RandR

Quote:
Looks like the NHLPA has to agree on this as well, think they might object?
One of the experienced reporters on Rogers Sportsnet (I think he was once editor of the Hockey News) said something to the effect that NHLPA approval was really just a matter of courtesy, so it was a done deal as far as he was concerned.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:31 PM
DocBrown

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
Its colour coded. All red jerseys play each other, theres a gtroup of blue, a group of black and a group of all other colours.

JK, its top 4 in each conference. first 2 rounds are in conference, 1 plays 4, 2v3 etc. Round 3 is still yet to be determined.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:39 PM
Ignoramus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
except that the Florida teams draw more fans to games when they're playing teams from NY, Philly, etc. They should've been in with the old Atlantic division teams and sent Was and Car to play in the Northeast.

If anyone thinks this wasnt done solely to get Crosby vs Ovechkin, 6 times a year, you're kidding yourselves.
Nobody in Florida cares at all about he Islanders or the Devils. On the other hand, Toronto and Montreal are major draws.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:40 PM
C77

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post

I don't know about that. For a few years now it seems the NHL has been sure to schedule Montreal, Boston, and Toronto going to Florida for the holidays with the snowbirds.

The two Florida teams would still get home game(s) against the Rangers and Flyers and they'd add one against Chicago and Detroit as well and those teams are big draws.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:41 PM
Ignoramus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
4 teams from each conference. They first round is 1-4 and 2-3 from each. The second round has the winners of each of those play (conference final). Then all the conference champions are seeded 1-4 and 2-3 for the semis
That has not been decided yet. I'm thinking it might not happen. I can't see too many GM's wanting to abandon the East/West setup.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:43 PM
RandR

TSN just reported that the vote was 26-4 in favour of the new format.

And Toronto was one of those voting yes.

No word on which 4 teams voted against it.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:43 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandR View Post
One of the experienced reporters on Rogers Sportsnet (I think he was once editor of the Hockey News) said something to the effect that NHLPA approval was really just a matter of courtesy, so it was a done deal as far as he was concerned.
Mike Brophy?

Old
12-05-2011, 11:48 PM
KzooShark

Possible issue

the NHL is a very tribal league. As a Sharks fan, I half pay attention at best to the Eastern standings most of the time and watch games occasionally, while I usually have a pretty good handle on who's doing what in the West. From ratings and discussions, this seems to be a typical thing of most NHL fans and their teams.

This change cuts the # of teams that directly affect my team's playoff seeding in half yet again. After five years of this, am I going to care what Chicago, Nashville, Detroit, etc. are doing any more than I currently care about whether Buffalo beat Washington last night? Is that going to be reflected in ratings?

Old
12-05-2011, 11:48 PM
RandR

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
Mike Brophy?
no it wasn't him. This guy had hair!

I know his name, but it escapes me right now.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:55 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KzooShark View Post
Possible issue

the NHL is a very tribal league. As a Sharks fan, I half pay attention at best to the Eastern standings most of the time and watch games occasionally, while I usually have a pretty good handle on who's doing what in the West. From ratings and discussions, this seems to be a typical thing of most NHL fans and their teams.

This change cuts the # of teams that directly affect my team's playoff seeding in half yet again. After five years of this, am I going to care what Chicago, Nashville, Detroit, etc. are doing any more than I currently care about whether Buffalo beat Washington last night? Is that going to be reflected in ratings?
very good point.

should have been two 15 team conferences....then at least you would have an interest in what half the league is doing...now there are 23 teams that have no affect on your team in the standings whatsoever

Last edited by peter sullivan: 12-06-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Closed Thread